Type keyword(s) to search

This Just In: New, Cancelled, Returning, And On-Hiatus Shows News

• Start Topic

On ‎09‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:16 PM, HunterHunted said:

It was pretty clear to me that Catch Me If You Can was hugely influential. Neal consistently wearing suits from the late 50s and 60s and the final caper requiring Neal to be disguised as a pilot who has to flirt with a flight attendant in a suspiciously retro uniform are just 2 obvious indicators of the influence.

The clothing style would also reflect the era in which To Catch A Thief was made.

The commercials for A Million Little Things made me think of The Big Chill immediately.  Can't comment on the show itself, as it is not my cup of tea.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
On 9/27/2018 at 7:47 AM, Haleth said:

I figured A Million Little Things was a way for ABC to cash in on the popularity of This Is Us.  Back in the day I loved Thirtysomething, but now I can't watch any show with a group of friends that seem to hang together 24/7.  Is this normal?  I get sick of people very quickly so I can't imagine anyone wanting to be with the same group day in and day out.  

I can believe it.  I spend a lot of time alone, but if I like spending time around someone, then I look forward to their company. My family used to spend a lot of time together. 

I thought of The Big Chill, when I heard about the show. That doesn’t mean that it couldn’t be based on something that happened to a show runner. I also don’t know how old they are, but with things like “I had to google UB40” and “Who is Beck?”  They May not have heard of the movie. Which makes me want to cry. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The clothing style would also reflect the era in which To Catch A Thief was made.

And yet, here's an interview with Jeff Eastin, creator and showrunner, where he talks about being a little influenced by Catch Me if You Can and never having seen the older films in this genre until after they'd shot the first season. That's not to say that To Catch a Thief didn't influence elements in White Collar in later seasons, but it was not his initial inspiration.

https://hollywoodthewriteway.com/2009/10/white-collar-premiere-week-jeff-eastin.html

• Love 1

Penny Dreadful: City of Angels

Showtime is bringing back “Penny Dreadful,” but not in a way many fans might have expected.

Announced this morning, the network has officially handed out a series order for “Penny Dreadful: City of Angels,” a new follow up story that is said to be a “spiritual descendant” of the original series. The news comes over two years after “Penny Dreadful” came to an abrupt end following its third season finale, a choice which was said to have been creator/showrunner John Logan’s plan all along.

Now, the show’s new “City of Angels” story will take viewers into an entirely new time period and location, set within the same “Penny Dreadful” world.

Opening in 1938 Los Angeles, the show will focus on “a time and place deeply infused with Mexican-American folklore and social tension. It will be rooted in the conflict between characters connected to the deity Santa Muerte and others allied with the Devil, and will explore an exciting mix of the supernatural and the combustible reality of that period, creating new occult myths and moral dilemmas within a genuine historical backdrop.”

Production on “Penny Dreadful: City of Angels” will reportedly begin next year, but no premiere date or episode count have been decided upon yet.

On 11/1/2018 at 2:16 PM, crimsongrl said:

I'm of two minds about this.  I really liked the first season of Penny Dreadful and downright loved the second season.  The third season was a hot mess, in my opinion, and had one of the least satisfying conclusions to a show that I have ever watched.  Now I partially forgave it, because of the supposed abrupt cancellation (I did bitch fairly extensively in the forums though).  But if it really was John Logan's intention to end the show when it did and on that note, when to be perfectly honest it makes question his ability as a storyteller.  Because there were instances of pretty bad fundamental storytelling in the final season.  Things that were foreshadowed about the characters were never paid off.  And the story essentially became a shoot the shaggy dog story.  Now sometimes those kinds of stories work.  The Hunger Games trilogy is a shoot the shaggy dog story.  Katniss volunteers for the Hunger Games to save her sister, but in the end, the rebellion Katniss helped spawn ultimately kills her sister.  I think those kinds stories only work if the ultimate pointlessness of the characters actions winds up saying something about the world we (or at least the characters live in) or the characters learn something they couldn't have learned any other way.  The Hunger Games has something to say about how no one ever really wins in war and that sometimes the line between the good guys and the bad guys is blurry.  Penny Dreadful's ending didn't say anything about the world.  It didn't teach the characters anything they couldn't have learned in another way.  It was simply pointless.  

Spoiler

Everything that happens could have been avoided if Ethan had shot Vanessa when she asked him to in the first season! Thousands of people wouldn't have died.  That's poor storytelling IMO.  It also makes Ethan's entire arc as the Wolfman pointless as it doesn't even factor into the conclusion.  Why did I have to listen to him whine for three seasons about being cursed if it wasn't going to affect anything? Not to mention there is absolutely no pay off to the Victor Frankenstein storyline, nor any resolution with either of his "monsters." 

So if Logan has similar plans for interesting characters, but poor plotting and bad storytelling I'm going to have to pass.

• Love 4

From VarietyGeorge Eads to Exit MacGyver on CBS

It’s a breaking story as I type this. Nothing else is known/has been announced, apparently, except that he’s apparently leaving the show.

UPDATE From TV Line: George apparently stormed off the show’s Atlanta set in early October, following an unspecified altercation, but returned days later. He’s also been asking to be released from his longterm contract with the show in order to return to Los Angeles, where his daughter lives.

His last appearance on the show is expected to be in the second half of the current season, airing during 2019.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add more info.
  • Love 1
On 11/26/2018 at 11:57 PM, BW Manilowe said:

From VarietyGeorge Eads to Exit MacGyver on CBS

It’s a breaking story as I type this. Nothing else is known/has been announced, apparently, except that he’s apparently leaving the show.

UPDATE From TV Line: George apparently stormed off the show’s Atlanta set in early October, following an unspecified altercation, but returned days later. He’s also been asking to be released from his longterm contract with the show in order to return to Los Angeles, where his daughter lives.

His last appearance on the show is expected to be in the second half of the current season, airing during 2019.

Well damn.  He was the reason I started watching it in the first place. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ceindreadh said:

Well damn.  He was the reason I started watching it in the first place. 

I didn’t update the post, like I probably should’ve, but TV Guide (I think it was) said they’re filming his last episode this week.

• Love 1

The CW is looking to resurrect Good Christian Bitches with a new testament (via TVLine).  Here's the log line summary:

Good Christian Bitches will center on the clergy and parishioners of Flock, a hip church in Austin where “prayers and worship music cover up a multitude of sins and secrets.”

The earlier adaptation -- title shortened to "GCB" -- aired on ABC in 2011 and was more faithful to Kim Gatlin's novel, which was set in a Dallas suburb.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Just Here said:

The CW is looking to resurrect Good Christian Bitches with a new testament (via TVLine).  Here's the log line summary:

The earlier adaptation -- title shortened to "GCB" -- aired on ABC in 2011 and was more faithful to Kim Gatlin's novel, which was set in a Dallas suburb.

As I remember, ABC changed the title to just the initials GCB because they were getting complaints from people who thought the show would mock religion in the south, or who had other fears about a show originally titled, & based on a novel also titled, Good Christian Bitches. By the way, if anyone has forgotten, Emmy & Tony Winner Kristin Chenoweth was the star (or among the stars) of ABC’s 2011 version.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

As I remember, ABC changed the title to just the initials GCB because they were getting complaints from people who thought the show would mock religion in the south, or who had other fears about a show originally titled, & based on a novel also titled, Good Christian Bitches. By the way, if anyone has forgotten, Emmy & Tony Winner Kristin Chenoweth was the star (or among the stars) of ABC’s 2011 version.

She was the reason I'd never watch the show - I really can't stand her voice or her face.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Also Leslie Bibb, Annie Potts, and the awesome Miriam Shor. I thought that show was fun. It didn't get amazing ratings but every show they tried in that time slot bombed. ABC probably should've kept it on the air. I knew a lot of people who watched, it but of course nobody was a Nielsen family.  Speaking of Nielsen, I have yet to meet anyone who is a Nielsen family.  Does anyone know one that's not based in one of the US's largest cities? I've only known people who did the seven day notebook. 

• Love 8
On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:36 PM, Stuffy said:

Does anyone know one that's not based in one of the US's largest cities? I've only known people who did the seven day notebook.

I only did the 7-day notebook, but I don't live in a large city.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, proserpina65 said:

I only did the 7-day notebook, but I don't live in a large city.

Those are the only ones I know of too  I know several people who did the 7-day ratings including myself. I don’t live in a large city either. 

• Love 1
On 11/29/2018 at 11:36 PM, Stuffy said:

Also Leslie Bibb, Annie Potts, and the awesome Miriam Shor. I thought that show was fun. It didn't get amazing ratings but every show they tried in that time slot bombed. ABC probably should've kept it on the air. I knew a lot of people who watched, it but of course nobody was a Nielsen family.  Speaking of Nielsen, I have yet to meet anyone who is a Nielsen family.  Does anyone know one that's not based in one of the US's largest cities? I've only known people who did the seven day notebook. 

I also only did a week long one. I was a kid when my parents got asked to do it. I guess we bored them because we weren't asked again. I live in a mid-size city.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 2

I remember our family doing a Nielsen diary back when I was a kid. Don't know how helpful we were, though, 'cause our TV was basically tuned to either MTV, Disney, or Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite on a regular basis, along with the occasional show here and there on CBS, ABC, or NBC. 

• Love 3
On 12/10/2018 at 11:21 PM, MissAlmond said:

Welcome back, CourtTV; you've been missed.  

Wish this could also include a reboot of World's Dumbest, the funniest of the clip comedy snark shows.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 6

The CW is looking to resurrect Good Christian Bitches with a new testament (via TVLine).  Here's the log line summary:

Good Christian Bitches will center on the clergy and parishioners of Flock, a hip church in Austin where “prayers and worship music cover up a multitude of sins and secrets.”

Did anyone ask for this? I know sometimes CW shows skew a little older, but not by much. Like, I just don't see how they're going to sell this to their key demographic who loves sexy teens. I remember GCB. I didn't watch but my dad did. I remember Kristin and Miriam and nothing else. It feels like a show TVLand should have picked up or maybe a streaming service. The writer worked on awkward. but I can't remember if I was still watching during her run.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/shondaland-netflix-series-slate-1202430614/

Untitled Bridgerton Project — Based on Julia Quinn’s best-selling series of novels, this smart feminist take on Regency England romance unveils the glittering, wealthy, sexual, painful, funny and sometimes lonely lives of the women and men in London’s high society marriage mart as told through the eyes of the powerful Bridgerton family. Scandal veteran Chris Van Dusen (EP) will adapt and showrun the series.

This is insane to me. I know romance novels have made it to the screen before. But they tend to be clean Hallmark movies or Lifetime fare (either contemporary or historical). I've read a few Bridgerton books. They have their moments. Personally, I'm more of a Lisa Kleypas or Courtney Milan person. Calling it a feminist take is a little shaky. Even Tessa Dare does a better job and her books are slightly rapey. Julia Quinn books can be VERY rapey. But a real TV series? And I'm not sure how smutty it's really going to be. Does the Downton Abbey set want to watch a show that feels like How To Get Away With Murder in its sexual content? It makes sense financially because aside from Stephanie Laurens, I can't think of anyone who has managed to keep a sprawling family saga profitable for as long as Julia Quinn. I just can't picture how this is supposed to work. And I guess they'll have to mess with the timelines of the books because it would be weird to focus on one couple at a time. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Did anyone ask for this? I know sometimes CW shows skew a little older, but not by much. Like, I just don't see how they're going to sell this to their key demographic who loves sexy teens. I remember GCB. I didn't watch but my dad did. I remember Kristin and Miriam and nothing else. It feels like a show TVLand should have picked up or maybe a streaming service. The writer worked on awkward. but I can't remember if I was still watching during her run.

The CW has actually been aging up a bit. Most of their shows' main characters are now in their twenties. I think Riverdale and All Americans are the only shows currently on the CW where the main characters are teens. And since the new GCB description mentions a hip church I expect that most of the characters are going to be younger than the main characters on the original GCB. Although the main characters on the original all had teenage kids, so they could keep a similar setup but focus more on the kids instead of the adults.

Freeform has picked up the pilot of 'Everything's Gonna Be Okay" for a ten episode season.  As someone who really enjoyed "Please Like Me", I'm excited to see what Josh Thomas is doing with this one. He's got a real talent for handling serious topics in a comedy show without having them seem like Very special Episodes, so the concept for the new show seems to play to his strengths. 

https://deadline.com/2018/12/freeform-josh-thomas-everythings-gonna-be-okay-comedy-series-1202518322/

• Love 1

So I decided to jump back into The Watch podcast and listened to the episode where they discuss all the upcoming fantasy shows (either confirmed or likely but still in development because of purchases by streaming services). They were The Wheel of Time, Good Omens, His Dark Materials, Kingkiller Chronicles, Lord of the Rings, and Narnia. Now, I don't know anything but the last two and I only have the vaguest knowledge of those two. It's been a long time since I read fantasy and even then it was the kind of fantasy that leaned more towards historical fiction and it definitely had female protagonists. I'm still waiting on Game of Thrones to end before I jump in on watching it but especially for the streaming shows, I would consider watching from the beginning. 

However, a cursory google/wikipedia search suggests these are all series written by dudes about dudes, primarily for dudes. Am I mistaken? Are any of these shows going to be for me? 

Also, what does it mean for TV if one or more of these shows takes off? GOT has its issues but it does feature several prominent female characters. What does it mean if we have another generation of popular shows that sidelines women and possibly POC (I'm guessing because these are fantasy worlds which usually based on a medieval/Western/Christian/Anglo-Saxon tradition)? 

His Dark Materials has several major characters but it centers on a young girl named Lyra.  Good Omens is dude heavy but don't let that deter you if the synopsis appeals.  In terms of general quality, His Dark Materials and Good Omens are excellent books and should make for excellent series if adapted correctly.  The former includes Lin Manuel Miranda and the latter includes David Tennant and Michael Sheen so I'd be all in if I didn't already love the source material. 

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

So I decided to jump back into The Watch podcast and listened to the episode where they discuss all the upcoming fantasy shows (either confirmed or likely but still in development because of purchases by streaming services). They were The Wheel of Time, Good Omens, His Dark Materials, Kingkiller Chronicles, Lord of the Rings, and Narnia. Now, I don't know anything but the last two and I only have the vaguest knowledge of those two. It's been a long time since I read fantasy and even then it was the kind of fantasy that leaned more towards historical fiction and it definitely had female protagonists. I'm still waiting on Game of Thrones to end before I jump in on watching it but especially for the streaming shows, I would consider watching from the beginning. 

However, a cursory google/wikipedia search suggests these are all series written by dudes about dudes, primarily for dudes. Am I mistaken? Are any of these shows going to be for me? 

Also, what does it mean for TV if one or more of these shows takes off? GOT has its issues but it does feature several prominent female characters. What does it mean if we have another generation of popular shows that sidelines women and possibly POC (I'm guessing because these are fantasy worlds which usually based on a medieval/Western/Christian/Anglo-Saxon tradition)? 

Good Omens and Narnia both have good female protagonists. LOTR will be a prequel, so there's room to wedge some in, maybe along with characters from southern Gondor or even Harad or Khand. I don't know about the others.

But yes, the three I mentioned are in that tradition. Still, there is room to wedge somemodern sensibilities in. I love those books, but I don't mind a retcon if it's good. :)

• Love 1
13 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I only read the first book in the Wheel of Time series, but it's my understanding that there are some strong female characters.  It also didn't strike me as being in a world particularly based on the Western/Christian/Anglo-Saxon tradition.

On 12/4/2018 at 8:27 AM, kassygreene said:

We did a 7-day Nielsen diary.  I was very excited & carefully planned what we would watch.  And then we got the damn things the week of the 2016 RNC, so there was a lot of dvd & on demand viewing instead.

There wasn't much to see, was there? If that was the case, I can see why you saw more on DVD and on demand than on regular television.

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 8:35 AM, aradia22 said:

The Wheel of Time was written by a man, and the main protagonist is male. But there are a lot of strong women with very major roles. One of the main premises of the series is that it's set in a world where women are the only magic users, and the organisation that trains magic users is run totally by women, with the leader of it being as powerful as the Pope was in Medieval Europe. Men and women used to be equals in that, but something very major happened to leave men who can wield magic in disgrace, so now the women are in charge.  There are many discussions of the way that women are written, and some think that it's sexist in parts. Others disagree, and think that the views of some characters towards these powerful women are completely in keeping with the world that Robert Jordan created.

Jordan's world is based more on Renaissance Europe than anything else, but he takes strong influences from a lot of other places too - Norse and Hindu religion, Japanese Samurai and Shogunate culture, Native American and other nomadic cultures. The casting of the show could be 100% white, because Jordan spent more time describing cultures than he did skin tones. But he does write some characters and peoples as having darker skin colour (ranging from Mediterranean to Sub-Saharan Africa). He also uses those cultural references to strongly indicate different races - For example, the country of Shienar is peopled by honour-bound, disciplined warriors who wear topknots and recite poetry and have ritualised social relationships, obviously evoking Medieval Japan. But he mixes most of these references up quite a bit.

As for Good Omens, it was co-written by Sir Terry Pratchett, who had a very strong record of writing sensible, pragmatic and intelligent women who just get things done. The main female character of this book is absolutely one of those.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

the shirtless sax dude.

Oh man, seriously whenever I think of The Lost boys my mind instantly flashes on:

- Kiefer being an ugly ass Vampire. 

- Corey Haim singing in high falsetto "I ain't got a home..." in the bathtub

- Shirtless sax dude.

No.... no one should ever touch this gem in a remake or reboot or re-anything.  Ever.

• Love 8