Type keyword(s) to search

This Just In: New, Cancelled, Returning, And On-Hiatus Shows News

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

If they don't go the "wise black woman who knows all" or "sassy black woman" stereotypes, it looks like it could be funny. 

It’s Chuck Lorre so avoiding stereotypes is probably unlikely.

• Love 7

The most appropriate comment I've seen about the trailer to Bob Love Abishola is that it looks to be a comedic version of You.

He falls in love with his nurse because she's paid to take care of him and then he basically stalks her?  The premise wasn't great but the trailer was positive cringeworthy.

• Love 1
On 5/18/2019 at 6:46 AM, Robert Lynch said:

I just knew that with the format change and lack of growth compare to other game shows that this would have gotten cancelled. Chris was a good host, but I believe the lack of contestants winning a million dollars and the move from New York to Vegas is what killed this show.

Wouldn't doubt it. I haven't seen anyone get million dollar prize in years. I honestly figured it was a set up at times too. Sometimes they'd let someone get far in it, but then stump them; other times they'd stump them earlier on if they wanted to kick them off sooner.

On 5/20/2019 at 11:30 PM, AntiBeeSpray said:

Wouldn't doubt it. I haven't seen anyone get million dollar prize in years. I honestly figured it was a set up at times too. Sometimes they'd let someone get far in it, but then stump them; other times they'd stump them earlier on if they wanted to kick them off sooner.

I admit there were some good players on the show, but there were a couple of them that annoyed me. There was recently one woman who left with $3000 and she had third grade answers. She used all her lifelines before and called her plus one to help her. It turned out her plus one was right and she didn’t want to risk it.  I could understand the middle round, but not the beginning. That happened more than once on this show. I rolled my eyes when they do that crap. They hide their incompetence and embarrass themselves on TV.

On 5/24/2019 at 1:40 PM, proserpina65 said:
On 5/20/2019 at 9:29 PM, topanga said:

Sorry to hear this. Sorry to hear that late night TV is losing another (rare) female host. 

The show was pretty terrible, though.

I'd never watched it. I guess that makes me a big, fat hypocrite. 

On 1/9/2019 at 11:52 AM, aradia22 said:

Untitled Bridgerton Project — Based on Julia Quinn’s best-selling series of novels, this smart feminist take on Regency England romance unveils the glittering, wealthy, sexual, painful, funny and sometimes lonely lives of the women and men in London’s high society marriage mart as told through the eyes of the powerful Bridgerton family. Scandal veteran Chris Van Dusen (EP) will adapt and showrun the series.

I can't think of anyone who has managed to keep a sprawling family saga profitable for as long as Julia Quinn. I just can't picture how this is supposed to work. And I guess they'll have to mess with the timelines of the books because it would be weird to focus on one couple at a time. 

They've just announced the cast of this series and I have to say I am surprised but in a good way.

When it was announced they were adapting this for tv I was less than thrilled.  If I had to choice of a romance novel series to adapt I wouldn't have picked this one.  But the casting choices are interesting and is making me really want to see it now.

From this cast list is seems like they are just concentrating on the first book because they've cast Simon.  But none of the other love interests for any of the other siblings have been cast, except Penelope, but she plays a big part in the first book and she is BFFs with the family.

• Useful 2

From this cast list is seems like they are just concentrating on the first book because they've cast Simon.  

Oh, boy. The Duke and I is one of the only ones I've read. Will they include the rape scene? Probably not, right?

I'm not surprised that AoS is ending, more so that it's gone on as long as it has.  I really like it, but I am not broken up about it.  Marvel is concentrating on the streaming series that are coming up, so I get it.

• Love 2

New Tyler Perry drama on BET:

BET Networks and Tyler Perry Studios announced today the new original dramatic comedy, "SISTAS," the second series under Perry's exclusive, multi-year content partnership deal with Viacom.

Starring KJ Smith, Ebony Obsidian, Mignon Von, and Novi Brown, "SISTAS," follows a group of single black females from different walks of life who bond over their one common thread: why am I single? In this bold new series, viewers watch these women navigate their "complicated love life" status, careers and friendship through the ups-and-downs of living in a modern world of social media and unrealistic relationship goals.

Premiering this fall on BET, the one-hour drama takes viewers on a roller coaster ride of emotions and hilarious moments that are the epitome of #squadgoals. Principal photography for "SISTAS" is underway at Tyler Perry Studios in Atlanta.

"SISTAS" is written, directed and executive produced by Tyler Perry. Michelle Sneed will also serve as Executive Producer of the series for Tyler Perry Studios.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2019/08/01/bet-networks-and-tyler-perry-studios-announce-perrys-second-original-series-sistas-premiering-exclusively-on-the-network-this-fall-210210/20190801bet01/

Character descriptions at the link.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Trini said:

New Tyler Perry drama on BET:

I’m glad this show will exist, but being that it’s Tyler Perry, I’m proceeding very cautiously. 

TP has a way of dividing black women into good girls (submissive, supportive of their husbands, not too ambitious) and bad girls (ambitious and enjoy sex, which often means they’re criminals, they’re going to cheat on their husbands, and/or they’re going to contract HIV).

I’m not damning the show I’m advance. I’ll definitely check it out. 

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I had a bunch of the figures when I was a kid. Watched the cartoon too. But this just confuses me. Why bring it back? Does anyone actually care, or is it a nostalgia cash-in? Still, the official Twitter account has 1,700 followers. Maybe there is a fanbase after all.

11 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

The Netflix She-Ra is popular so they're just building on that.

I suppose so. But Kevin Smith? From what I've heard of the new She-Ra, I don't think his instincts are in line with that take. Still, we'll never know until we see it.

• Love 1

First, Disney+ decides to produce all of those Marvel series with the original actors, now this?!

The Muppets Return with New Unscripted Short Form Series on Disney+

The letter promises celebrity guests stars, though none are specifically named. The interesting angle here is that the show will be unscripted. That means we could see the Muppets doing improv with these mystery celebrity guest stars

This just cements it.  They've got my money. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

And for the Disney Channel nostalgics: ‘Lizzie McGuire’ Sequel Series Starring Hilary Duff Set At Disney+

In the reimagined version of the sitcom, a sequel to the 2001 Disney Channel series, Lizzie McGuire (Duff) is  a 30-year-old millennial navigating life in New York City. Like the original series, it will include the familiar animated version of a young Lizzie who offers up funny, revealing commentary on what 30-year-old Lizzie is really thinking.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Dani said:

I get that studios now care about IP above all but much like with the St. Elmo’s show I don’t see a built in audience for this based on the name. I mean they chose the two more interesting characters to follow in the prequel but Dianne and Stockard were the reason those characters were fun and they obviously won’t be playing them.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I get that studios now care about IP above all but much like with the St. Elmo’s show I don’t see a built in audience for this based on the name. I mean they chose the two more interesting characters to follow in the prequel but Dianne and Stockard were the reason those characters were fun and they obviously won’t be playing them.

I liked the book, and am looking forward to the show (so I hope that it's good). 

• Love 1

From Deadline: Grace and Frankie given a 16-episode seventh season, which will be its last.  At a total of 94 episodes, that will be the most of any Netflix original series.

“It’s thrilling and somehow fitting that our show about the challenges, as well as the beauty and dignity of aging, will be the oldest show on Netflix,” said co-creators and showrunners Marta Kauffman and Howard J. Morris.

Fonda and Tomlin added: “We are both delighted and heartbroken that Grace and Frankie will be back for its seventh, though final, season. We’re so grateful that our show has been able to deal with issues that have really connected to our grand generation. And their kids, and amazingly, their kids as well.  We’ll miss these two old gals, Grace and Frankie, as much as many of their fans will, but we’ll still be around. We’ve outlasted so many things – just hope we don’t outlast the planet.”

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Popples said:

I’ll bet the actress from that show—whose name I can’t remember just now—who wasn’t happy when it got renewed (‘cause she was in Crazy Rich Asians, which was a pretty big hit, & I think she was thinking about transitioning into movies because of that, but then the TV show got renewed & screwed up that plan)—is probably happy now she can go on to movies, even though it’s at least a year later than she intended.

• Love 3
On 11/12/2019 at 2:43 PM, MikaelaArsenault said:

At least it's not cancelled.

Not yet anyway, but I think it has the lowest ratings of the remaining 4 network soap operas.
The only problem with this is, if they get renewed for another season (this is sort of what the hiatus is connected to, as I understand it—negotiations for another season renewal are starting; as of now, they apparently are far enough ahead in filming that they have eps they can run either until or through March), how many of the current cast members will actually not have a new job on another soap, or another primetime show, & will be able to return if they get another season? Some of those characters won’t be the same played by new actors/actresses.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Not yet anyway, but I think it has the lowest ratings of the remaining 4 network soap operas.
The only problem with this is, if they get renewed for another season (this is sort of what the hiatus is connected to, as I understand it—negotiations for another season renewal are starting; as of now, they apparently are far enough ahead in filming that they have eps they can run either until or through March), how many of the current cast members will actually not have a new job on another soap, or another primetime show, & will be able to return if they get another season? Some of those characters won’t be the same played by new actors/actresses.

I hope it doesn't get permanently cancelled though.

• Love 1

Someone with more knowledge in the soap opera game  than me noted they tape the show 8 months in advance and is guaranteed to air through September 2020 so that this is probably an effort to cut costs by hiring the actors back at a lower rate to secure another renewal and no long blfulm 8 months ahead of air date.

• Love 1