Type keyword(s) to search

This Just In: New, Cancelled, Returning, And On-Hiatus Shows News

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Someone with more knowledge in the soap opera game  than me noted they tape the show 8 months in advance and is guaranteed to air through September 2020 so that this is probably an effort to cut costs by hiring the actors back at a lower rate

That's what it said in the linked article:

The good news is the soap opera is shot eight months in advance so there will be enough episodes when the show halts production at the end of November to last through summer 2020.

According to TMZ, "Days of Our Lives" has not been canceled, and may even bring everyone back but with lower salaries.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Someone with more knowledge in the soap opera game  than me noted they tape the show 8 months in advance and is guaranteed to air through September 2020 so that this is probably an effort to cut costs by hiring the actors back at a lower rate to secure another renewal and no long blfulm 8 months ahead of air date.

But this is what a cancellation for a soap that films eight months ahead would look like.

They aren't going to say...hey, cancelled this show.  please keep watching for eight months.  

They want to maximize the return on their investment.  Its better if there is hope that its not over to do that. At the same time, they aren't going to pay cast and crew for eight months to maintain fiction.

They'll avoid saying anything as long as they can and then do PR later that they were giving the producers a chance to find another network/streaming platform without the stigma of cancellation hanging over them.

Networks don't even like to say the word cancellation about primetime shows that had their order cut and were yanked from the schedule.  Eight months of episodes...no one will say cancellation until there is no other choice, whether its this time or the next time.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

They aren't going to say...hey, cancelled this show.  please keep watching for eight months. 

Modern soap cancellations have been announced anywhere between 5 and 9 months ahead of time so there's no reason why they wouldn't say just that. 

They'll also be going on hiatus with enough episodes to last through June but still about 4 to 6 weeks short of what they'd need to film to fill the time slot into September. 

Things at DOOL are pretty leaky.  It'd get out if they had actually filmed into September.  It'd get out if it was common knowledge that they were cancelled.

They could still be cancelled but releasing the actors was a production company decision not an NBC decision.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Modern soap cancellations have been announced anywhere between 5 and 9 months ahead of time so there's no reason why they wouldn't say just that. 

They'll also be going on hiatus with enough episodes to last through June but still about 4 to 6 weeks short of what they'd need to film to fill the time slot into September. 

Things at DOOL are pretty leaky.  It'd get out if they had actually filmed into September.  It'd get out if it was common knowledge that they were cancelled.

They could still be cancelled but releasing the actors was a production company decision not an NBC decision.

"Modern" cancellations were close to a decade ago (not counting the attempt to keep AMC and OLTL going).  Prime time was less shy about saying cancellation back then too.

I don't see why being 4-6 weeks short of the renewal period makes any difference.  Shows have been cancelled inside a renewal period before, like when Comcast bought NBC Universal.  

They can fill time with nostalgia DOOL to celebrate the history of the show before it goes dark.

I have no idea if this is the end of the show.  But it doesn't sound good.

• Love 3

I don't see why being 4-6 weeks short of the renewal period makes any difference.  Shows have been cancelled inside a renewal period before, like when Comcast bought NBC Universal.  

Daytime is a bit of a different beast because the networks don’t want to cede that time back to the affiliates so they would have to come up with another show, most likely adding another hour to the Today Show would be the only thing that wouldn’t  need a significant lead time.

• Love 4

I don't see why being 4-6 weeks short of the renewal period makes any difference.

That time needs to be filled.  NBC doesn't own the show and they ordered episodes from the production company up until mid-September 2020.  NBC is not going to want to pay for retrospective clip shows.  They'll want new episodes wrapping up stories.

Besides, I do suspect the next step for DOOL isn't full cancellation but rather a move to streaming.  That's what releasing the actors from their contracts could be about if the rumor is true about them potentially being brought back at a lower salary. I don't know if it's next year but I do think Peacock will be its next home.

• Love 3
On 11/13/2019 at 2:25 PM, BW Manilowe said:

how many of the current cast members will actually not have a new job on another soap, or another primetime show, & will be able to return if they get another season? Some of those characters won’t be the same played by new actors/actresses.

This never would have been tried during the heady days of soaps because the actors would have had a multitude of choices.  However, today with only three other soap operas on air,  I suspect there's a pretty good chance a large percentage of the cast will return if renewal happens.  

• Love 4

Beat Shazam renewed for 4th season

I like this show, but I was afraid it would be cancelled as the ratings have gone down and there had been noticeable budget cuts (no more celeb cameos--which were annoying anyway--and the theme song became somewhat generic instead of using "Let's Groove" by Earth, Wind & Fire).  Then there was no word either way for a long time, though they did start advertising some casting calls recently.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

Not surprising, given its ratings and the fact that FOX didn't order new episodes in the fall (usually an indicator that the show will not be renewed), but the circumstances surrounding this decision are sad.

I knew that it wouldn’t do well too.

So... a global pandemic is going to screw up production of both pilots AND existing shows.  Really badly.  So we're gonna have shows now.  We're likely to have plenty of new content for the next two to three months. Maybe a few things even into the summer.  Then... issues.  IF production resumes for shows in June or July maybe a delayed Fall season might happen.  But realistically there might not be anything other than audienceless candid shows made for a long time if this pandemic hasn't magically gone away by the Summer.  Maybe they go back to filming game shows without an audience rather than not at all.  Maybe they make even more of that stuff.  But no sitcoms.  No dramas.  No reality shows which take more than a few people around to crew and film. 

Do they just show reruns you think?  

The amount some stuff is shot in advance, I could see a scenario where even if COVID-19 stops being a threat by mid-summer, it effects Summer TV, Fall TV and maybe even Winter TV.

• Love 4

I watch Daily Pop, Nightly Pop, & TMZ every day (don't judge 😀), & all 3 shows are on hiatus (though I don't know if they're calling it that), also Last Week Tonight, so I'm kind of lost with my TV viewing.

• Love 3

Yeah, "Last Week Tonight", along with Colbert and Meyers' late night shows, as well as "Idol", are the ones on my list currently being affected by all of this. The scripted shows I watch pretty much finished filming/airing their seasons well before all this craziness broke (and for three of them, the current season was/is their final one completely). My main concern with those is, as noted above, how this'll affect things when they return to begin filming for their new seasons. I can easily see the fall/winter TV season being messed up some as a result of all of this. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, "Last Week Tonight", along with Colbert and Meyers' late night shows, as well as "Idol", are the ones on my list currently being affected by all of this. The scripted shows I watch pretty much finished filming/airing their seasons well before all this craziness broke (and for three of them, the current season was/is their final one completely). My main concern with those is, as noted above, how this'll affect things when they return to begin filming for their new seasons. I can easily see the fall/winter TV season being messed up some as a result of all of this. 

Of all of those, Last Week Tonight is, I think, the one that could be least affected. The show does benefit from a live audience, but they can do largely the same show without one.  That's less true of the traditional talk shows like Colbert and Meyers, and of course Idol is going to be pretty flat when they get to the part that's supposed to be live shows and it's still just three celebs staring at a singer, but live instead of taped.  Or they may delay the live shows and just do them a few months later.  However all of these shows you mentioned will be comparitively easy to get back off the ground once the forced hiatus is up.  Idol, specifically because they can just take the same contestants and instantly start the live shows once it's safe enough.  But with scripted and big production non-live reality shows that would normally film months before airing?  Yeah. There's gonna be some trouble.  I can only see so much catching up being done, because 'safe" won't be an absolute, it will be a sliding scale, and triple the amount of the usual production crews being out there in July and August is going to strain the system in a lot of other ways.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

So... a global pandemic is going to screw up production of both pilots AND existing shows.  Really badly.  So we're gonna have shows now.  We're likely to have plenty of new content for the next two to three months. Maybe a few things even into the summer.  Then... issues.  IF production resumes for shows in June or July maybe a delayed Fall season might happen.  But realistically there might not be anything other than audienceless candid shows made for a long time if this pandemic hasn't magically gone away by the Summer.  Maybe they go back to filming game shows without an audience rather than not at all.  Maybe they make even more of that stuff.  But no sitcoms.  No dramas.  No reality shows which take more than a few people around to crew and film. 

Do they just show reruns you think?  

The amount some stuff is shot in advance, I could see a scenario where even if COVID-19 stops being a threat by mid-summer, it effects Summer TV, Fall TV and maybe even Winter TV.

Well they were already looking at a shutdown in May due to the looming writers strike. I know there were reports that networks were stockpiling scripts but hopefully they had some alternative plans to fill any gaps. Personally I’d love it if the networks looked to programming from other countries or even some cable or streaming series. 

10 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Of all of those, Last Week Tonight is, I think, the one that could be least affected. The show does benefit from a live audience, but they can do largely the same show without one.  That's less true of the traditional talk shows like Colbert and Meyers, and of course Idol is going to be pretty flat when they get to the part that's supposed to be live shows and it's still just three celebs staring at a singer, but live instead of taped.  Or they may delay the live shows and just do them a few months later.  However all of these shows you mentioned will be comparitively easy to get back off the ground once the forced hiatus is up.  Idol, specifically because they can just take the same contestants and instantly start the live shows once it's safe enough.  

I can also see it being difficult for people like Colbert and Meyers and so on because they'll have to kinda play catch up with booking guests and whatnot. Obviously anyone who was supposed to be on during the hiatus to promote something, they'll have missed that window (though depending on the project, I could see them still coming on to talk about it anyway), but yeah, I can just imagine how overwhelmed the booking side of things might get for a while. 

But yes, even with that, I think the late night hosts will be able to generally work it out in the end. The hosts have been doing online stuff to keep busy of late, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn they were in contact with their writing staff here and there throughout as well, to try and have some idea of what to talk about and what bits to do and whatnot when they do return (though of course, those could be subject to change depending on what's happening in the news then, too). 

I wonder if that's what'll happen with the scripted shows, too, as time goes on. I could see showrunners and writers typing out scripts during their time away, and finding ways to communicate with the rest of the cast and crew over social media and/or through e-mails or things of that sort about plans for the upcoming season and whatnot for the time being. That way, when they are able to get back to filming, they'd have at least some of the work done and ready to go. That'd be nice. 

I could see "Idol" compressing the live part of their season to some degree, if they do need to get their season wrapped up quickly once they return or something. We may see multiple people voted off in an episode or things like that. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

So... a global pandemic is going to screw up production of both pilots AND existing shows. 

I wonder if it's going to lead to a lot of renewals and not many new shows. 

If I were NBC, I'd take my Thursdays and do a "Throw Back Thursday" and air a lineup of Friends, Seinfeld, Cheers and Frasier just to see how well they do.

I think the tricky part of this all isn't necessarily the writing.  That can be done at a distance.  But even without audiences, there are a lot of staff and crew that are around to put on a show. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

If I were NBC, I'd take my Thursdays and do a "Throw Back Thursday" and air a lineup of Friends, Seinfeld, Cheers and Frasier just to see how well they do.

I had the same thought. If they get creative a greatest shows of all time lineup could be fun. 

Over at the TV Line website, there was an article talking about all the soaps shutting down production for the time being. Somebody suggested that they should fill the time with classic episodes of soaps past and present. I like that idea, too :). 

• Love 4

Anyone else think the networks should rerun I Love Lucy, Leave It to Beaver, the Honeymooners and Carol Burnett Show during this time? Truly we could ALL use an escape to times when this chaos hadn't been imagined (not to mention some laughs)!

• Love 7
48 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

wonder if it's going to lead to a lot of renewals and not many new shows. 

On The Hollywood Reporter podcast they thought that it would be good for bubble shows since the network has already invested money, easier to hit the ground running, have sets, infrastructure etc.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Over at the TV Line website, there was an article talking about all the soaps shutting down production for the time being. Somebody suggested that they should fill the time with classic episodes of soaps past and present. I like that idea, too :). 

Days of Our Lives has shows in the can through Halloween.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Dani said:

Well they were already looking at a shutdown in May due to the looming writers strike. I know there were reports that networks were stockpiling scripts but hopefully they had some alternative plans to fill any gaps. Personally I’d love it if the networks looked to programming from other countries or even some cable or streaming series. 

NBC also was—& so far still is—supposed to run however many hundreds (or more?) of hours they contracted for of the Summer Olympics from Tokyo in July. So, unless they just decide to bag the whole thing—which they haven’t yet—because of pressure they’re getting from the governing bodies of various sports that are showcased in the Summer Games, as well as from Canada which, on Sunday night US time, threatened to keep their team home from the games if they weren’t canceled/postponed & a threat of the Coronavirus still exists at any of the Japanese locations involved with the games, we’ll hopefully at least still have the Olympics to watch this summer (at least if you’re into that sorta thing).

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Annber03 said:

That would be a great idea.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

NBC also was—& so far still is—supposed to run however many hundreds (or more?) of hours they contracted for of the Summer Olympics from Tokyo in July. So, unless they just decide to bag the whole thing—which they haven’t yet—because of pressure they’re getting from the governing bodies of various sports that are showcased in the Summer Games, as well as from Canada which, on Sunday night US time, threatened to keep their team home from the games if they weren’t canceled/postponed & a threat of the Coronavirus still exists at any of the Japanese locations involved with the games, we’ll hopefully at least still have the Olympics to watch this summer (at least if you’re into that sorta thing).

I hope they end up postponing them until next summer. Canada and Australia are already refusing to send their athletes. Swimming has asked them to postpone. Japan's Prime Minister is said they might have to postpone it. We don't know where anyone will be on the virus and athletes haven't been able to train due to everything shutting down and everyone having to stay home. As much as I can't wait for the Olympics postponing would probably be for the best.

• Love 6

This would be a great chance for networks to reach into their archives, play some shows that aren't running all the time on syndication, maybe even stuff you can't get on DVD. I'd LOVE for NBC to run the soap Santa Barbara, maybe they could do some of those old movie of the weeks, some great classic sitcoms as mentioned above. Which made me really miss the old Nick at Nite, which I grew up on and which ran old shows like Burns and Allen and I Married Joan and Topper. I would love to be able to see some of those again. Won't happen, too obscure, but it sure would be nice.

• Love 7
52 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

This would be a great chance for networks to reach into their archives, play some shows that aren't running all the time on syndication, maybe even stuff you can't get on DVD. I'd LOVE for NBC to run the soap Santa Barbara, maybe they could do some of those old movie of the weeks, some great classic sitcoms as mentioned above. Which made me really miss the old Nick at Nite, which I grew up on and which ran old shows like Burns and Allen and I Married Joan and Topper. I would love to be able to see some of those again. Won't happen, too obscure, but it sure would be nice.

I’d love to see a number of shows including Just Shoot Me, WKRP, many many others. 

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

I’d love to see a number of shows including Just Shoot Me, WKRP, many many others. 

The problem with that is particularly older shows aren’t necessarily owned by the networks that aired them. And if they aren’t in the syndication market there is probably some rights/licensing issues that have kept it that way when so many places are looking for content.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

The problem with that is particularly older shows aren’t necessarily owned by the networks that aired them. And if they aren’t in the syndication market there is probably some rights/licensing issues that have kept it that way when so many places are looking for content.

That is what I was thinking - once they are in syndication....

If the networks had more current shows that were we’ll written then I could watch those ... in desperate times ...

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Burns and Allen is on AntennaTV:  8-9AM Eastern (2-ep block) Monday-Friday, & 1-2AM Eastern (2-ep block) Sunday night going into Monday morning (as in, you think it’s Sunday night but you have to program the DVR timer for Monday 1-2AM to get the program recording correct).

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

The original WKRP (they did a short-lived syndicated reboot soon after the original was cancelled) may be on a channel called MeTV. We have the channel in our town, as a digital sub channel of 1 of our major networks feeds, but it’s not yet on our cable. They’re doing promos right now incorporating the themes from their shows; I’d swear I heard an instrumental part of WKRP‘s in that ad.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I agree.  I love the idea too but who owns what now is probably way too complicated to make it happen.  I grew up on the CBS soaps; seeing classic episodes again would be such a treat. However most CBS soaps were P&G owned and I don't see them granting permission without  a very nice payout.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

However most CBS soaps were P&G owned and I don't see them granting permission without  a very nice payout.  

Which, by the way, is likely the reason that the P&G soaps were the ones to get the axe, while the CBS-owned soaps stayed on the air. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Which, by the way, is likely the reason that the P&G soaps were the ones to get the axe, while the CBS-owned soaps stayed on the air.

IIRC, the P&G soaps were axed by corporate themselves.  There was a time when soap money pretty much bankrolled CBS news.   When money stopped rolling in due to many factors, and instead was losing cash,  Proctor and Gamble was more than happy to drop them.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Without the two week Olympic hiatus, I wonder how Days of Our Lives will schedule their shows.  If they have a Halloween episode taped already, will it be running two weeks before Halloween?

I would love for them to show some classic episodes from the vaults or pull together a Golden Girls style clip show for those two weeks.  Let us watch Jack and Jennifer's wild west wedding again as an example.  All they would have to do is have a couple of actors sit at a table in Brady Pub and reminisce.  

• Love 4