Type keyword(s) to search

This Just In: New, Cancelled, Returning, And On-Hiatus Shows News

• Start Topic

Well, TMZ is back, everyone is in their own homes & they show a screen with everyone. Sort of like the The Brady Bunch, but now Dish Nation is gone. 

• Love 3

Netflix renews Love is Blind and The Circle for two more seasons. I am assuming they haven’t been filmed so I wonder what the reaction will be to two shows that’s premise is based at least partly on isolation/social distancing!

And Rhythm and Flow and Marie Kondo got renewed for season 2.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Any other fans of the awesome British series Life on Mars hear the news of a comeback? That would be awesome, but I don't want to get my hopes up until the BBC confirms it.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/life-on-mars-creator-shares-final-chapter-return-plans/#disqus_thread

It's one of my favorite shows, I watch it every couple of years but I don't know. I consider it to be almost perfect so I'm not sure if I want it to come back. But I love Gene Hunt and Sam Tyler so much. I'm conflicted!

• Love 6
On 3/22/2020 at 11:37 PM, Annber03 said:

My main concern with those is, as noted above, how this'll affect things when they return to begin filming for their new seasons. I can easily see the fall/winter TV season being messed up some as a result of all of this. 

It will all depend on when production can resume. Typically network dramas and sitcoms start filming in July and August, with those episodes ready by September. If filming can resume in July (which I think is quite possible), then we may only have a small delay in the opening of the next broadcast season. If filming is delayed until August or September, then we may not get a broadcast season until November, but there still would be time for a full season.

We probably would still be able to get full broadcast seasons as long as filming can start before winter, at least. A 22 episode season can still start in January or even February and still get completed- there just likely won't be breaks. A March or April 2021 start would probably mean seasons extending into the summer. After that...you run the risk of overlap with the 2021-2022 season which will make things really messy.

...but I think that's extreme. I bet most network shows will find some way to tape before the year is done because too much is at stake for the studios if they don't.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

On top of the coronavirus crap, isn’t there the possibility of a writers’ strike that may mess the new TV season up further? I thought someone mentioned a possible writers’ strike somewhere on these forums before or near the beginning of when the pandemic started on our shores, but I could be wrong.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

On top of the coronavirus crap, isn’t there the possibility of a writers’ strike that may mess the new TV season up further? I thought someone mentioned a possible writers’ strike somewhere on these forums before or near the beginning of when the pandemic started on our shores, but I could be wrong.

Yes. The current contact expires on May 1st. From Deadline

The coronavirus crisis is also throwing a wrench in WGA-AMPTP negotiations. The WGA does not have the biggest leverage at its disposal — a threat of a strike — because Hollywood production already has been stricken by the COVID-19 crisis. And the studios are in a far worse shape financially than they were just a month ago, before the pandemic hit in earnest.

As the two sides prepare to open negotiations amid the outbreak, industry insiders warn that, as bad as the impact of the health crisis on the scripted TV business has been, and as bad as the effect of a potential writers strike could be, a coronavirus-related shutdown followed by a writers work stoppage would be devastating and extremely hard to recover from, especially on linear, ad-supported television.

On ‎03‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 12:26 AM, Blergh said:

Anyone else think the networks should rerun I Love Lucy, Leave It to Beaver, the Honeymooners and Carol Burnett Show during this time? Truly we could ALL use an escape to times when this chaos hadn't been imagined (not to mention some laughs)!

God, no.  I hate most of those shows, Carol Burnett excepted.

Now, something more recent, or things that got only a short run, that'd be a good idea.  Or maybe some classic miniseries.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I hate most of those shows, Carol Burnett excepted.

Then you'll like the news that Shout! Factory's streaming site shoutfactorytv.com will be airing a Carol Burnett marathon on the 30th and 31st of May, with regular on-demand streaming of episodes to follow starting on the 1st.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

God, no.  I hate most of those shows, Carol Burnett excepted.

Now, something more recent, or things that got only a short run, that'd be a good idea.  Or maybe some classic miniseries.

I wrote in the Post Pandemic thread that I thought they should do this, but I was thinking of shows between the 70s and 90s.  MASH, Barney Miller, Taxi, All in the Family, The Jeffersons, WKRP in Cinncinatti*, Designing Women, Frasier, Cheers etc, plus some dramas that were apparently pretty good, but I didn't watch.  But, I could deal with I Love Lucy.  I know that a lot of these are shown on cable stations, but putting them on, in the evenings once or twice a week, for network tv, just this year, would probably bring them to more people. Definitely a new generation.

*Considering the fact that they probably won't be spending much money on actor's salaries, depending on when they start up again, maybe for just one season, they could afford the rights to the music to play WKRP the way it was originally aired (although, I could stand some different songs, if that song wasn't important to the scene like some of them were.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ratgirlagogo said:

My pleasant renewal surprise is Stumptown, which I just adore.  I also like The Rookie, but I figured that on to be picked up.

My big disappointment is Emergence, which I loved.

Yea I am glad to see Stumptown coming back. But I am disappointed to see Bless This Mess going. At first I didn't like it but it has really grown on me. It has a really Parks and Recreation type of feel to it. And the actors that play the neighbors of the main character are hilarious.

• Love 2
(edited)

CBS like much other networks have extended the options of their pilot casts through to end of September. This gives me some hope that some of them might Still be shot. 

It’s safety first And there’s so much more going on in the world I get that but On a Purely superficial level I would love to start getting tv spoilers and casting/pilot news again. Even just for a bit of normality.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/pilot-season-2020-cbs-tv-studios-pay-casts-extend-options-on-pilots-suspended-covid-19-1202954656/

Edited by Avabelle
  • Love 4
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 3:28 PM, Shannon L. said:

I wrote in the Post Pandemic thread that I thought they should do this, but I was thinking of shows between the 70s and 90s.  MASH, Barney Miller, Taxi, All in the Family, The Jeffersons, WKRP in Cinncinatti*, Designing Women, Frasier, Cheers etc, plus some dramas that were apparently pretty good, but I didn't watch.  But, I could deal with I Love Lucy.  I know that a lot of these are shown on cable stations, but putting them on, in the evenings once or twice a week, for network tv, just this year, would probably bring them to more people. Definitely a new generation.

*Considering the fact that they probably won't be spending much money on actor's salaries, depending on when they start up again, maybe for just one season, they could afford the rights to the music to play WKRP the way it was originally aired (although, I could stand some different songs, if that song wasn't important to the scene like some of them were.

I was watching Taxi for awhile on Hulu.  It was an amusing show.  Very much of its time, 40 years is an eternity.  Not just in terms of culture but how shows are written and stories  I think that would be a hard adjustment for younger viewers.  I am just old enough to recall that era and how things were done at the time.  Its basically one story per episode, slower pace, not as much packed into each show I guess you would say.  At least for Taxi. 

I was surprised to see Talia Balsam in the pilot as Judd Hirsch's daughter.  She was so young!  I was even more surprised it was not even one of her first roles.  She did happy days, dallas, archie bunkers place and others before that. 

ALso amused that Danny DeVito has come full circle and pretty much plays the same character now on Its always sunny.  I am surprised they have never made any Taxi references on that show.  Multiple times they have brought up his Cuckoos nest role. 

• Love 5
On 7/8/2020 at 7:20 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I was watching Taxi for awhile on Hulu.  It was an amusing show.  Very much of its time, 40 years is an eternity.  Not just in terms of culture but how shows are written and stories  I think that would be a hard adjustment for younger viewers.  I am just old enough to recall that era and how things were done at the time.  Its basically one story per episode, slower pace, not as much packed into each show I guess you would say.  At least for Taxi. 

I didn't watch Taxi, but I know how popular it was, which is why I mentioned it.  The one comedy that I tried with my kids and their friends (they were in, I think, 9th and 11th grade) that got high marks from every one of them was WKRP in Cincinnati. My daughter also really liked the original cast of Designing Women.  I think she was about 17 when I showed her that one.

• Love 5
On 7/10/2020 at 3:45 PM, Shannon L. said:

I didn't watch Taxi, but I know how popular it was, which is why I mentioned it.  The one comedy that I tried with my kids and their friends (they were in, I think, 9th and 11th grade) that got high marks from every one of them was WKRP in Cincinnati. My daughter also really liked the original cast of Designing Women.  I think she was about 17 when I showed her that one.

WKRP is pure gold.  Really funny.   I watched it last year on MeTv?  I believe.  The problem with the original music is very hard.  I think they were able to keep some original music - but most of it is elevator music.

• Love 7

Talk about a return no one expected.  A whole network is coming back....

It's looking like it's going to be a YouTube channel instead of a cable channel.  But the two flagships, AOTS and X-Play, appear like they'll be involved.

• Love 1

Yeah the drunk history is a bummer!  I LOVED the one with Jordan Peele as Percy Julian and Allan McLeod telling the drunk story.  Jordan Peele does a LOT of great face acting so it isn't just the lip syncing that sells it, especially when he is precisely syncing the drunken slurry mis-pronounced parts.  So good!

• Love 5