Type keyword(s) to search

This Just In: New, Cancelled, Returning, And On-Hiatus Shows News

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

They air reruns on the Antenna TV channel, if you have that :).

Thank you! :) I just saw the previous page, and am looking it up. I'm glad I saw your post, so that it wasn't ignored. :) 

Found it! I love this place. 

• Love 1
On 7/29/2018 at 6:18 AM, aradia22 said:

I came across this Hollywood Reporter article googling something else and felt like rambling.

tl;dr Keeping an eye on Murphy Brown, Charmed, The Gilded Age, Grand Hotel, In the Dark, Whiskey Cavalier, and Daddy Issues. Plus the shows with actors I like though I'm guessing they will all get cancelled so I will not have to decide whether to jump on board for season 2. Looking at this list, I can't see anything becoming a new favorite. Where are the comedies?

Murphy Brown: It'll depend on how busy I am but I might be curious enough to watch. Though I know next to nothing about the original series and have never seen an episode.

I'm tuning into this, but mostly for nostalgic reasons.  I actually have less confidence in this than I did in Will and Grace (which I do watch, but found it took a while to get to its stride...and it still isn't what it was).

Whiskey Cavalier: Also lazy but possibly entertaining? I might give it a shot but it already sounds like the kind of slightly quirky comedy I try only to see it get cancelled. 

God Friended Me: Jesus Christ. Why do people keep trying to make this show? I know it sometimes worked in the past but all the recent attempts I can think of have flopped. 

Magnum P.I.: Are you serious? Macguyver wasn't enough? What other basic shows with a white male lead can they remake? I swear, if they try a reboot of Burn Notice...

All three of these are shows I'm pretty sure I'll be watching due simply to the fact that my husband will have the remote.  I never watched the original Magnum PI, so I'm not at all excited for this one.  I would love to see God Friended Me succeed, but I have a feeling it will land firmly in schmaltzville.  Whiskey Cavalier at least looks like it has the potential to be a pleasant time-passer, but I can''t see myself getting too involved in it.

A Million Little Things: James Roday and David Giuntoli are in the cast. I loved Psych and hated Grimm and the synopsis sounds boring af. Probably won't watch.

I started out loving Grimm and then grew to hate it with the energy of a thousand imploding galaxies.  I would love to see DG in something else, although I'm not entirely sure this is it.  I'm a little confused so far--it is supposed to be very different from This is Us (a show whose appeal I simply do not understand...it was nothing but a big eye-roll for me when I was watching it), but the marketing is doing everything it can to make it sound just like TIU.  Plus, starting off with someone dying is, well, pretty derivative.  

As for James Roday, I'm expecting him to blow me away because everyone raves about him and I had never even heard of this man.

Still, this is probably the show I'm most anticipating, but only to see if DG can get away from the ghosts of the Grimm clusterfuck.

Mixtape: Ooo, this sounds bad. Why is it so hard to do something musical like Glee? I'm not sure it'll ever happen again except as a straight up musical like Galavant. The Fame/Glee model does not seem to be working. 

I'm one of these people who thinks that everyone should have their own personal band for whenever they want to break out in song and dance and I'm always looking for a show that just gets that--and it has yet to happen.  Glee, Smash, and Rise were all failures for me...but I still in hope and that hope will force me to watch this.

Another show not mentioned in the original post (I think it is a mid-season or post-football replacement) is Proven Innocent.  This one actually seems quite promising (and it has another Grimm alum in it, one who probably benefited by being wasted in that show...) as it seems to be capitalizing on the whole righting things of the wrongfully accused trope that has worked well (maybe too well) in documentary form.

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

Magnum P.I.: Are you serious? Macguyver wasn't enough? What other basic shows with a white male lead can they remake? I swear, if they try a reboot of Burn Notice...

Magnum is no longer a basic white male lead. He's now a cute Latino instead:

Jay seems to be the go-to guy when they want to cast a cute, non-threatening Hispanic guy in a mainstream (read: majority white) film or t.v. show.

He's probably best-known for being Mila Kunis's DILFy boyfriend in the Bad Moms franchise, as well as the movie he did where his girlfriend is a crazy teenage Kirsten Dunst.

Yay for diversity? Maybe?

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
On ‎07‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:19 AM, Blergh said:

Why would I not be surprised if the new Murphy Brown lasts all of two episodes: the first watched out of curiosity, the second out of pity? Alas, most of the humor of the original had to do with up-to-the-minute 90's events.

Idk, there are plenty of up-to-the-minute current events for it to mock right now.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Idk, there are plenty of up-to-the-minute current events for it to mock right now.

I saw Candice Bergen (Murphy) being interviewed on The Talk the other day. Not actually live, but in a clip CBS & the show put up on YouTube. She said this season of the show would be taped as close to air as possible—she said no later than 3 weeks ahead, probably—in order to remain current as far as national/world events were concerned.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix punctuation.
  • Love 7

Yeah, that it's no longer the '90s is a non-issue for the Murphy Brown revival; it was a hit because of sharp writing about current events and general trends in politics/media/society.*  That's something that can be replicated at pretty much any time.  Happening again now, with all the usual shit turned up to a million, and filmed practically in real time? 

*(and cast chemistry, which will be replicated because almost all the original cast is returning)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I saw Candice Bergen (Murphy) being interviewed on The Talk the other day. Not actually live, but in a clip CBS & the show put up on YouTube. She said this season of the show would be taped as close to air as possible—she said no later than 3 weeks ahead, probably—in order to remain current as far as national/world events were concerned.

I find that charmingly naive that they think that an event that happened three weeks ago will still be considered ‘current’. 

Anybody remember what was the scandal/crisis/corruption of the day three weeks ago?  There’s just so much crap going down that events or incidents that would once dominate a news cycle for weeks, now don’t even make the top ten crazy list a week later. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Ceindreadh said:

I find that charmingly naive that they think that an event that happened three weeks ago will still be considered ‘current’. 

Anybody remember what was the scandal/crisis/corruption of the day three weeks ago?  There’s just so much crap going down that events or incidents that would once dominate a news cycle for weeks, now don’t even make the top ten crazy list a week later. 

Apparently 3 weeks ahead is the closest they can tape the show, put it through the postproduction process, & get it aired as scheduled (for what it’s worth, I think they film daytime dramas 6 weeks ahead & you’d think those would take less work to edit & get on the air than a nighttime show). I know that sounds weird for a half-hour sitcom, but I’m sure it’s accurate.

I don’t remember what the specific scandal/crisis/corruption of the day was 3 weeks ago, but I think it’s safe to say it probably involved the government, specifically the Executive Branch, somehow. And that’s where I’ll leave that.

• Love 15
7 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

They aren’t trying to be The Daily Show or a late night monologue, so I think they will be fine. 

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

I think it's pretty safe to say that the scandals du jour from 3 weeks ago were some combination of Russia, child immigrants, tariffs and Michael Cohen.  Oh, and Roseanne, the gift which keeps on giving.  Considering the long-running issues which have dominated the news over the last several months, I don't think a 3 month lag is going to be a problem.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I think it's pretty safe to say that the scandals du jour from 3 weeks ago were some combination of Russia, child immigrants, tariffs and Michael Cohen.  Oh, and Roseanne, the gift which keeps on giving.  Considering the long-running issues which have dominated the news over the last several months, I don't think a 3 month lag is going to be a problem.

It’s actually expected to be a three week lag between filming & airing an episode this time. I think it was a little longer last time.

3 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

It’s actually expected to be a three week lag between filming & airing an episode this time. I think it was a little longer last time.

Oops!  I mean to type 3 week lag but my fingers and my brain weren't quite coordinating.  3 months would be a bit more problematic.

• Love 2
On 7/30/2018 at 4:58 AM, Annber03 said:

They air reruns on the Antenna TV channel, if you have that :).

Does Antenna TV play ASPCA or WWF (aka the snow leopard dying) commercials? I think that's why I stopped watching that station; my medical bills for all the injuries caused by diving for the remove were getting out of control.

• Love 3
Just now, theredhead77 said:

Does Antenna TV play ASPCA or WWF (aka the snow leopard dying) commercials? I think that's why I stopped watching that station; my medical bills for all the injuries caused by diving for the remove were getting out of control.

Yes, it does. Virtually every commercial break, too, it seems.

Just now, theredhead77 said:

I don’t think I’ve noticed any. But I could be wrong & I just haven’t seen them when I’ve been watching the channel.

On 7/29/2018 at 7:53 PM, HunterHunted said:

I think Alyssa and Holly get along. I believe that Holly and Rose get along superficially, but that it would have fallen apart if they had to  film together.

The problem is that this isn't a reboot. Reboot means that they are redoing the original characters and world over from the start. They aren't doing that here.

A revival is where they pick up with the existing characters and actors years later. That's what I've seen some fans ask for. That's pretty much impossible with this cast.

A remake is pretty close to a reboot, but is often a little bit more faithful to the source material. This is what some people argue for by bringing Connie back.

A spin off is when an existing character from a show is spun off into their own show. 

A backdoor pilot is a regular episode of a TV show that is intended as a pilot for a whole new show.

A "spin on" which is a tv term that doesn't really exist anymore is what this is. It's when shows exist in the same universe like this. Characters from the mothership might pop up from time to time and crossover for an episode or two.

I find this extremely fascinating.  So this would be a "spin on"?  t's not really a remake, since it doesn't sound like it will be very faithful to the original material. 

Edited by Esmeralda
4 hours ago, Esmeralda said:

I find this extremely fascinating.  So this would be a "spin on"?  t's not really a remake, since it doesn't sound like it will be very faithful to the original material. 

Yeah, this is an odd duck. I'd probably call it a hybrid of a spin on and a reboot. My understanding is that it exists in the same universe as the original Charmed, but changes some of the canon about Whitelighters, Elders, and probably Not!warts Magic School. I don't particularly mind the latter because the original Charmed never planned or thought through those issues, which left fans with the impression that the Elders were forever useless and manipulative and Not!warts Magic School was a craven attempt to appeal to Harry Potter fans.

• Love 3

I also find the categories interesting. Would Star Trek count? I've always took them as spin offs. Of course if you get something like Star Trek Voyager, it has it's own characters and is set in the same universe. If has cameo appearances from existing characters but they aren't main characters.

15 hours ago, blueray said:

I also find the categories interesting. Would Star Trek count? I've always took them as spin offs. Of course if you get something like Star Trek Voyager, it has it's own characters and is set in the same universe. If has cameo appearances from existing characters but they aren't main characters.

The Star Trek shows are probably spin-offs. I've been using slightly more traditional/antiquated (by a solid 20 years) definitions. However, it's worth noting that Next Generation started with McCoy visiting; Deep Space 9 started with Picard, O'Brien, and was intended to include Ro Laren, and Voyager starts with Deep Space 9 and the Maquis. Tom Paris was supposed to be Nicholas Locarno from TNG.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:35 PM, BW Manilowe said:

I saw Candice Bergen (Murphy) being interviewed on The Talk the other day. Not actually live, but in a clip CBS & the show put up on YouTube. She said this season of the show would be taped as close to air as possible—she said no later than 3 weeks ahead, probably—in order to remain current as far as national/world events were concerned

I've often wondered how TV shows that are so heavily based in present current events fair in syndicaton.  I've had the experience of watching reruns of shows I saw the first time around and then current event punch lines fly over my head until much later when I suddenly remember "Oh yeah!  I forgot about that."  It'll  be worst when an entire show is structured like that.  

• Love 1
19 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

The Star Trek shows are probably spin-offs. I've been using slightly more traditional/antiquated (by a solid 20 years) definitions. However, it's worth noting that Next Generation started with McCoy visiting; Deep Space 9 started with Picard, O'Brien, and was intended to include Ro Laren, and Voyager starts with Deep Space 9 and the Maquis. Tom Paris was supposed to be Nicholas Locarno from TNG.

Would "retcon" be a newer term that's closer to what the new Star Trek is and what I think Charmed (2018) will be?

Actually I was hoping that Charmed (2018) started in a way to show that it's similar to the new Star Trek in showing that it's what Charmed might have been like had different decisions been made.  Had this still been about the Pruitts, I think it could've.  But with it being about the Veras, I really think any similarity to Classic Charmed will just be Easter eggs for fans of Classic Charmed - that they'll use the name, some of the terms, but go off on their own, just like Star Trek did - making the Charmed (2018) timeline an alternate timeline to Classic Charmed with its own backstories (I don't think their Melinda Warren is the same as Classic Melinda Warren), its own mythology.  This is especially true if the current rumors are correct and all three sisters have different fathers (one a non-magical, one a demon and one a whitelighter - Harry), changing the mother/grandmother quite a bit.  I don't agree with that rumor since they chose two sisters to play the younger ones who look so much alike I keep mixing them up while the other one looks nothing like them outside of being part-Latina.  If that's true (and as I said, I don't think so), if they can still be Charmed, that's fantastic because if what we see regarding their powers is true, it means Charmed (2018) will be fixing Classic Charmed's worst problem - hybrids with hybrid powers!  All three are all just witches with pure witch powers!  YES!

Edited by Esmeralda
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Esmeralda said:

Would "retcon" be a newer term that's closer to what the new Star Trek is and what I think Charmed (2018) will be?

Retcon is actually a fairly old term; it's existed since the 80s. I think if the new Charmed finds a way to use and fix significant parts of the original, then their treatment of the original could be called a retcon. But I suspect, as you do too, that original Charmed will just be limited to Easter eggs.

5 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Retcon is actually a fairly old term; it's existed since the 80s. I think if the new Charmed finds a way to use and fix significant parts of the original, then their treatment of the original could be called a retcon. But I suspect, as you do too, that original Charmed will just be limited to Easter eggs.

I’m not sure retcon (or retroactive continuity) is the term you want.

An example of that would be, in Will & Grace, the baby born to Grace & Leo (her husband, played by Harry Connick Jr. in a recurring role) during the original run of the series has been nowhere to be seen in the revival version of the series.

Another example is in Roseanne, with the finale of the original version being that season’s eps were all stuff Roseanne wrote in a novel, we find out at some point during the episode, & then most/all of it—including the supposed death of Dan due to a heart attack on Darlene & Mark’s wedding day (which may have been the season before)—being negated in the first episode of the revival by, among other things, Dan being alive (but apparently having to use a cpap device at night).

And then there’s the “Pam dreamed Bobby’s death” storyline on Dallas. Somewhere near the end of the series, Patrick Duffy, who played the “good” Ewing son/brother Bobby, wanted to leave. However, Victoria Principal, who played his sometimes happily married/sometimes estranged or divorced, but pretty much always in love with him wife, Pam—who just happened to be the daughter of the man Bobby’s father & older brother, JR, considered the family’s worst enemy; at least when it came to business—was still on the show, which she would go on to leave later.

Bobby & Pam were either separated or divorced, but definitely living separately (she with their adopted son, Christopher) at this point. Pam had an evil half-sister, Katherine Wentworth, from a subsequent relationship of her/their mother’s, whom she only learned about once they were adults. Katherine managed to get her hooks into Bobby & they got involved romantically (as I remember). Anyway, at the end of this particular season, Katherine (who really hated Pam; especially that Bobby still seemed to be tied to her, & not just because they shared a son, after they were supposed to be divorced) went over to Pam’s house & tried to run her down with her car; Bobby was there & put himself between Pam & Katherine’s car. Bobby & Katherine were both declared dead, as a result of her hitting him with her car, & the next season was Bobby-free. 

Pam became involved with a really nice guy named Mark Graison & they were married, or they were engaged & headed for marriage. In the finale of the Bobby-free season, Pam went to sleep with Mark, her supposed (or almost) new husband; but in the next season premiere Bobby was alive & well, & in Pam’s shower (now apparently having been the 1 who at least spent the night with her—but I can’t remember if they were supposed to have gotten remarried, instead of Pam & Mark marrying for the first time, or not). So, when Patrick Duffy decided to return to Dallas after a season off all the stuff that happened, at least involving Pam, between Katherine hitting Bobby with her car & killing him & Bobby being in Pam’s shower when she woke up the morning after she (I’m pretty sure) married Mark Graison, was retconned by saying Pam had dreamed it all.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a parenthesis.
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I’m not sure retcon (or retroactive continuity) is the term you want.

An example of that would be, in Will & Grace, the baby born to Grace & Leo (her husband, played by Harry Connick Jr. in a recurring role) during the original run of the series has been nowhere to be seen in the revival version of the series.

Another example is in Roseanne, with the finale of the original version being that season’s eps were all stuff Roseanne wrote in a novel, we find out at some point during the episode, & then most/all of it—including the supposed death of Dan due to a heart attack on Darlene & Mark’s wedding day (which may have been the season before)—being negated in the first episode of the revival by, among other things, Dan being alive (but apparently having to use a cpap device at night).

And then there’s the “Pam dreamed Bobby’s death” storyline on Dallas. Somewhere near the end of the series, Patrick Duffy, who played the “good” Ewing son/brother Bobby, wanted to leave. However, Victoria Principal, who played his sometimes happily married/sometimes estranged or divorced, but pretty much always in love with him wife, Pam—who just happened to be the daughter of the man Bobby’s father & older brother, JR, considered the family’s worst enemy; at least when it came to business—was still on the show, which she would go on to leave later.

Bobby & Pam were either separated or divorced, but definitely living separately (she with their adopted son, Christopher) at this point. Pam had an evil half-sister, Katherine Wentworth, from a subsequent relationship of her/their mother’s, whom she only learned about once they were adults. Katherine managed to get her hooks into Bobby & they got involved romantically (as I remember). Anyway, at the end of this particular season, Katherine (who really hated Pam; especially that Bobby still seemed to be tied to her, & not just because they shared a son, after they were supposed to be divorced) went over to Pam’s house & tried to run her down with her car; Bobby was there & put himself between Pam & Katherine’s car. Bobby & Katherine were both declared dead, as a result of her hitting him with her car, & the next season was Bobby-free. 

Pam became involved with a really nice guy named Mark Graison & they were married, or they were engaged & headed for marriage. In the finale of the Bobby-free season, Pam went to sleep with Mark, her supposed (or almost) new husband; but in the next season premiere Bobby was alive & well, & in Pam’s shower (now apparently having been the 1 who at least spent the night with her—but I can’t remember if they were supposed to have gotten remarried, instead of Pam & Mark marrying for the first time, or not). So, when Patrick Duffy decided to return to Dallas after a season off all the stuff that happened, at least involving Pam, between Katherine hitting Bobby with her car & killing him & Bobby being in Pam’s shower when she woke up the morning after she (I’m pretty sure) married Mark Graison, was retconned by saying Pam had dreamed it all.

That is incorrect-the dream season is not a retcon-because it was addressed as all of it being Pam’s dream and is part of the show’s history/canon. A retcon is changing something that is part of a show’s history as if that character or storyline never happened. And I don’t mean that it was part of someone’s dream. The show/writers act and write, ignoring what was previously shown. An example would be how Mooby hung AJ in a meathook and forced AJ to sign away his parental rights to said Mooby wannabe Don Corleone on General Hospital, which EVERYONE SAW, but years later said Mooby talks about how AJ WAS a Loser and a drunk and happily without coercion, signed away his rights. Or how Eathan was Luke’s child, conceived at a time when he and Laura were happily married. First, Luke would never have cheated on Laura, and the scenario/story concocted to “explain” how he was Luke and Holly’s kid NEVER HAPPENED. Plus, Holly would NEVER have cheated on Robert.

• Love 2

What makes this revival great is the Hulu factor.  If Rob Thomas wants, he can have each new season mirror the movie and books and only have a couple of weeks be covered.  He won't have to worry about following real time or holidays if he doesn't want to.  Instead he can focus just on the mystery and characters.  This has the potential to be amazing and, since the movie and books were, I think it will be.

• Love 2
On 8/8/2018 at 6:28 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Or how Eathan was Luke’s child, conceived at a time when he and Laura were happily married.

Luke and Laura being "happily married" is also a retcon. Luke's rape of Laura became a "seduction" when the actors showed they had great chemistry together. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Luke and Laura being "happily married" is also a retcon. Luke's rape of Laura became a "seduction" when the actors showed they had great chemistry together. 

Granted, I started watching while they were on the run, but thanks to YouTube I did watch from the beginning and I know Luke raped her-he even admitted to that. It was GROSS how Laura kept referring to it as “making love.” The show did finally address it again and they had it out.

And the reason they had to change it was because Luke was supposed to die that night. But as you state, because of the amazing chemistry between Geary and Francis, Gloria Monty decided to keep him. But they’d written themselves into a corner and it sucks how they “fixed” it. It doesn’t change that during Ethan’s conception-that they were happy. And Luke wouldn’t have cheated.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 6

I'm a little sad, but it's all for the best. Better to go out now while there's still some good left than to go on forever like the suck-ass Simpsons.

On a related note, why do they keep doing that show when there hasn't been a original story in years? If that ever gets cancelled, I'll throw a parade.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, paulvdb said:

‘Foundation’: Apple Gives Series Order To Adaptation Of Isaac Asimov’s Sci-Fi Classic From David Goyer & Josh Friedman

I've read the books and I never thought they'd make a good movie or tv series so I am curious what they're going to do with it.

Agree. It's been decades since I read the books, but I remember that the ongoing story line throughout the series required a whole whopping lot of constant exposition and unfolded over millennia. I can see the attraction -- shadowy organization playing the long game by exerting subtle manipulation on humanity for its own good -- but it might be hard to make it exciting. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

Can we get Nicole Beharie as Samantha and Tom Mison as Darren or is it still too soon? Perhaps ABC could treasure what Fox could not.

Okay, I would absolutely watch that. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, AgentRXS said:

Can we get Nicole Beharie as Samantha and Tom Mison as Darren

I read Deadline's description of this Bewitched reboot and I'm not feeling it.  Still, I would bite my tongue and watch it anyway if the above pairing happened.  

• Love 3
8 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

It will feature an interracial couple, Samantha will be black,

Oh, I hope they're careful with this.  So long as they avoid the bad "voodoo" stereotypes that Hollywood typically goes for.

But, making Samantha from Louisiana and somehow related to Marie Laveau (the Vodou Queen of New Orleans) could make for an interesting update to her family.

• Love 5

I hope they don't make Darren too much of an asshole. It was really hard at times to understand why Samantha would put up with him when she clearly could do so much better. Even if she still wanted to marry mortal so many more would have treated her so much better. 

• Love 8