Type keyword(s) to search

This Just In: New, Cancelled, Returning, And On-Hiatus Shows News

• Start Topic

48 minutes ago, nosleepforme said:

As a huge fan of all of Joss's tv shows (except Agents of SHIELD of course), 

Why 'of course'? Is it a foregone conclusion that a show one person dislikes must be equally hated by all? Agents of SHIELD had a weak first season but has been consistently strong since, I can think of many worse shows a person could choose to follow, and despite having his name in the credits Joss Whedon has virtually no involvement with it anyway, never has, so it really doesn't count as one of his shows.

• Love 5

From ABC News: Michael Strahan and Sara Haines to Co-Host ABC's GMA Day, Premiering September 10th at 1PM Eastern 

If it's not abundantly clear, this is the 3rd hour of GMA, which has been talked about for awhile & replaces The Chew on ABC's Daytime Schedule. Michael & Sara also work together on the Monday-Friday original version of GMA. Before joining Michael on the new show, Sara was (if I remember correctly) the "Pop News" reporter on the weekend edition of GMA (a role she also fills on the weekday show when Lara Spencer is off). Sara has also been a co-host on The View since 2016. She announced this morning that she will leave this job for the GMA Day job.

8 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

Wasn't the original Frasier on NBC?

Frasier was owned by Paramount, which is now owned by Viacom, which owns CBS. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Never mind.  When I read reboot, I was thinking same basic show with all new people, like the new Magnum PI.  Still not sure what I think about it, though. 

Edited by Shannon L.
4 hours ago, amaranta said:

While I loved that show, the thought of it without John Mahoney makes me feel a little misty.

So Frasier is one of the sitcoms I'd love to have rebooted but from what this says, it sounds like it's not just minus Martin but minus Niles, Roz and Daphne as well.  I just can't imagine watching a Niles-less Frasier.*

*And yes, I know he was without Niles on Cheers but on that show, he was my least favorite character. The brother relationship is what made Frasier one of my favorite sitcoms (if not my fave) of all time.

• Love 13
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

So Frasier is one of the sitcoms I'd love to have rebooted but from what this says, it sounds like it's not just minus Martin but minus Niles, Roz and Daphne as well.  I just can't imagine watching a Niles-less Frasier.*

*And yes, I know he was without Niles on Cheers but on that show, he was my least favorite character. The brother relationship is what made Frasier one of my favorite sitcoms (if not my fave) of all time.

I agree.  The show was called Frasier, but it was about Frasier, Niles, and John (that was the dad's name, right?) and, of course, Martin.  

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

I agree.  The show was called Frasier, but it was about Frasier, Niles, and John (that was the dad's name, right?) and, of course, Martin.  

The first name of Frasier & Niles’ dad on the show is/was Martin Crane. You forgot to mention the regular female characters, Roz & Daphne. Roz was the producer of Frasier’s radio show; Daphne was Martin’s live-in Home Health Care Aide (due to an on the job injury—he was a cop who got shot & had to use a cane after—&, eventually, she was Martin’s daughter-in-law after Niles & Daphne finally admitted their long hidden feelings for each other.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

The first name of Frasier & Niles’ dad on the show is/was Martin Crane. You forgot to mention the regular female characters, Roz & Daphne. Roz was the producer of Frasier’s radio show; Daphne was Martin’s live-in Home Health Care Aide (due to an on the job injury—he was a cop who got shot & had to use a cane after—&, eventually, she was Martin’s daughter-in-law after Niles & Daphne finally admitted their long hidden feelings for each other.

Okay, I just got the name mixed up...for some reason, I thought the dog (Eddie!) was Martin.  I've even seen most of the series relatively recently...sigh!

Actually, my omitting the female characters wasn't an oversight.  While I enjoyed Roz (and tolerated Daphne), I never felt that they were crucial to the show.

• Love 3

My guess is that if they rebooted Frasier, they’d add his son to the cast. He’s most likely at least 30 years old by now, so the dynamics could be interesting, especially if there’s a grandchild involved. Instead of Frasier being the son, he’d be the father; I could see it working if they had opposite personalities. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Stacey1014 said:

My guess is that if they rebooted Frasier, they’d add his son to the cast. He’s most likely at least 30 years old by now, so the dynamics could be interesting, especially if there’s a grandchild involved. Instead of Frasier being the son, he’d be the father; I could see it working if they had opposite personalities. 

Probably.  I know he even worked with the actor who played the son on The Last Tycoon.

Trevor Einhorn, who played Frederick Crane, is 29.  

I just can’t see the show without Martin, Daphne and Niles.  Unless they set the show somewhere besides Seattle, (Where was Frazier moving to in the finale?) I dont see how they could explain their absence.  Killing off Martin seems too depressing and I just don’t see a plausible excuse for Daphne & Niles (and their child/children) not being around.  They couldn’t set it in Boston and not have Lilith appear occasionally.  But before it premiered, I never thought the concept of Frasier made any sense and would fail quickly, so what do I know.

43 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

(Where was Frazier moving to in the finale?)

Chicago. He'd initially planned to take a new job in San Francisco, but changed his mind at the last minute and decided to move to Chicago instead, because a woman he'd started a relationship with was there. 

In addition to Lord of the Rings and Wheel of Time, Amazon are planning a Conan the Barbarian series. Strikes me that Jeff Bezos is a huge nerd with a huge amount of money. I won't fault him for this. If I were in his position, I'd probably do something similar. Anyway, the showrunner will be Ryan Condal, best known for Colony.

However, I've read the Conan stories. They're entertaining, but by modern standards both old-fashioned and deeply problematic. Howard's writing style improved over the years. One early story is both short and exposition-heavy. And frankly, Conan was a rapist. At some point, the women generally accepted what was happening, but he wasn't the type to back off just because she didn't give it up straight away. There was some racism too, though there were also some POCs who were nearly as awesome as Conan himself.

Furthermore, Conan was a wanderer. I'm not sure that three stories ever took place in the same location, and rarely did two stories have the same guest characters. Will the sets be mostly practical or CG?

I wonder if this will actually come to the screen. If so, how much will it be watered down? And how much can you water something down before you lose the original essence? I'm glad I don't have Condal's job. He's torn between making something true to the source and making it practical to make and palatable to viewers. Sounds like a no-win situation.

(edited)

The biggest problem I have is that Colony is super-boring.   It's kind of like Falling Skies - every episode just lurches from one battle to the next, and every week it feels as though the whole series could wrap up the next week, or else it could meander along in the same way for another five years.   I kind of expect him to approach Conan the same way which will be only too easy because of the nature of the character.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1

I came across this Hollywood Reporter article googling something else and felt like rambling.

tl;dr Keeping an eye on Murphy Brown, Charmed, The Gilded Age, Grand Hotel, In the Dark, Whiskey Cavalier, and Daddy Issues. Plus the shows with actors I like though I'm guessing they will all get cancelled so I will not have to decide whether to jump on board for season 2. Looking at this list, I can't see anything becoming a new favorite. Where are the comedies?

Murphy Brown: It'll depend on how busy I am but I might be curious enough to watch. Though I know next to nothing about the original series and have never seen an episode.

Charmed: Hate it. Why does this feel like the only reboot not bringing back the original cast? Also, as much as I loved the show, I was a little burned out by the time Billie and Christie showed up. I might keep an eye on this to see if they really handle the feminism well or it's just pandering but what I've heard so far is not encouraging.

The Gilded Age: Ooo. I'd feel better if this was announced for a cable network but I do like a period piece. I'll be curious to see the tone. I would watch the crap out of Gilded Age Gossip Girl. It could also be Dynasty/Empire or Downton Abbey. Unclear from the synopsis. 

Grand Hotel: Devious Maids was mostly entertaining. I might enjoy this but I don't know if I want to sign up a dynastic family drama. I expect this one will be pushed aside in favor of my Netflix queue.

Rachelle Lefevre show: Brian d'Arcy James AND Nikki M. James? If it doesn't look too awful I might check it out but the last legal show I tried to get into was How to Get Away with Murder and I jumped ship ages ago. I think with cop shows I need to care about the cases and with legal shows I need to care about the lawyers. If it's not a good cast or there's no chemistry I don't have a reason to watch the legal shows. Anyone remember The Deep End? I would have watched the crap out of that. 

In the Dark: Interesting... I'd have to watch something to determine the tone because the synopsis is a little too open to interpretation.

Single Parents: I like Taran and I love Leighton but I really have no desire to watch this.

I Feel Bad: This looks terrible. Comedic memoirs don't necessarily make good TV shows. And if they wanted to pick someone, I'd go for Jenny Lawson. But also no, because sometimes you need to realize that your story is in the right medium and leave it there. 

The Code: What? This sounds like fucking Quantico again. But Phillipa Soo is in it. 

The Rookie: I like Nathan Fillion but ugh is this lazy.

Take Two: Just as lazy except with the dead weight of Eddie Cibrian.

FBI: People made jokes that Dick Wolf would end up here after Chicago Med, Chicago Fire, etc. but I didn't think it would actually happen... and certainly not this soon.

All American: Not my kind of thing but it could be good. 

Roswell, New Mexico: Um... what now? Apparently based on a book but I see potential landmines all over the place to trip up the writers.

Whiskey Cavalier: Also lazy but possibly entertaining? I might give it a shot but it already sounds like the kind of slightly quirky comedy I try only to see it get cancelled. 

God Friended Me: Jesus Christ. Why do people keep trying to make this show? I know it sometimes worked in the past but all the recent attempts I can think of have flopped. 

Magnum P.I.: Are you serious? Macguyver wasn't enough? What other basic shows with a white male lead can they remake? I swear, if they try a reboot of Burn Notice...

The Enemy Within: Again, boring. They keep making the same show. Once in a while it works and most of the time it gets cancelled. What is the point of this?

The InBetween: See above. This is insulting.

New Amsterdam: The boring version of a medical show to match the boring crime-solving and lawyer shows. And Ryan Eggold? Not even trying. 

Fam: Lol, what is this nonsense? Nina Dobrev? Brian Stokes Mitchell and Sheryl Lee Ralph deserve better than this.

Red Line: This will either be amazing or terrible.

The Village: I would have more confidence in this on a prestige network but I probably still wouldn't watch it. I go to plays but I don't want to watch this kind of thing on TV. It feels like too much of a commitment to take it seriously.

The Cool Kids: Probably terrible but strong casting.

Guess Who Died: Again, look at this cast. Older actors deserve better.

Daddy Issues: I might watch if they really delved into the trainwreck of that family tree but the synopsis they're selling is dull.

History of Them: I'd be interested to see Ana Villafane in a straight acting role (I know her from the Gloria Estefan musical). This feels like another high concept romance show like A to Z. I'm not sure why things need to be so complicated. 

So Close: Another high concept romance. But this one sounds like a solid premise. But it wasn't picked up so who cares?

Welcome to the Neighborhood: Is Josh Lawson not going to be the pharmacist on Superstore anymore? It could be another one of my quirky comedies but it's CBS so I'm thinking generically terrible and possibly offensive.

Bless This Mess: Already bored

A Million Little Things: James Roday and David Giuntoli are in the cast. I loved Psych and hated Grimm and the synopsis sounds boring af. Probably won't watch.

25: What? They almost made a serious version of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend but with a guy? Ugh, no. But I would have liked to see Emily Osment and Denee Benton on a show. 

Mixtape: Ooo, this sounds bad. Why is it so hard to do something musical like Glee? I'm not sure it'll ever happen again except as a straight up musical like Galavant. The Fame/Glee model does not seem to be working. 

No Apologies: Only interesting because of Katie Holmes. It doesn't sound that interesting unless the quality is high enough for it to be an awards contender. And even then, I probably wouldn't watch.

The Passage: Sounds like another terrible high concept show. Remember Contagion? But good on Mark-Paul for continuing to get cast in things.

Abby's: I will never watch this. And it will either get quickly cancelled or run for years. 

Bright Futures: Ew, this cast. I'm out.

L.A.'s Finest: Ooh, Jessica Alba wants to act again?

False Profits* --BEING REDEVELOPED
Logline: Follows a team of down-and-out women in suburban Arizona as they fight their way to the top of the cutthroat world of a multi-level marketing cosmetics business.
Cast: Bellamy Young (Scandal), Vanessa Williams, Kosha Patel, Kapil Talwalkar, Shelley Hennig, Ben Lawson, Mark L. Young, Marcus Coloma
Team: W/EP Kayla Alpert (Confessions of a Shopaholic, Code Black); Jason Reed, Sabrina Wind (Desperate Housewives); EP/D J. Miller Tobin
Studio: ABC Studios, Jason T. Reed Productions

This sounds amazing. Soapy show with older actresses and Ben Lawson as eye-candy? Sign me up.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

The biggest problem I have is that Colony is super-boring.   It's kind of like Falling Skies - every episode just lurches from one battle to the next, and every week it feels as though the whole series could wrap up the next week, or else it could meander along in the same way for another five years.   I kind of expect him to approach Conan the same way which will be only too easy because of the nature of the character.

Colony got cancelled recently. The post is upthread. The upcoming 3rd(?) season will be its last.

Why would I not be surprised if the new Murphy Brown lasts all of two episodes: the first watched out of curiosity, the second out of pity? Alas, most of the humor of the original had to do with up-to-the-minute 90's events.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Haleth said:
11 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

or else it could meander along in the same way for another five years.

Not any more.

Oh, yes, I know Colony was cancelled.  I'm just saying that as with Falling Skies   the narrrative structure is so repetitive that it doesn't matter because there was never a  distinct endpoint.  There was never any plot line that was leading toward a clear resolution. Anything could be picked up or dropped episode to episode.  The big success along this line is Walking Dead, of course, which I also dislike for the same reason.  But obviously that proves there's an audience for this approach, so there you go.

ETA: Other shows like this were Jericho, Revolution, Aftermath, and for too much of the time The Gifted, all of which I watched, at least for a while.  I can't sit through another one.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

I came across this Hollywood Reporter article googling something else and felt like rambling.

tl;dr Keeping an eye on Murphy Brown, Charmed, The Gilded Age, Grand Hotel, In the Dark, Whiskey Cavalier, and Daddy Issues. Plus the shows with actors I like though I'm guessing they will all get cancelled so I will not have to decide whether to jump on board for season 2. Looking at this list, I can't see anything becoming a new favorite. Where are the comedies?

Murphy Brown: It'll depend on how busy I am but I might be curious enough to watch. Though I know next to nothing about the original series and have never seen an episode.

Snip until we get to...

Take Two: Just as lazy except with the dead weight of Eddie Cibrian.

And to...

Magnum P.I.: Are you serious? Macguyver wasn't enough? What other basic shows with a white male lead can they remake? I swear, if they try a reboot of Burn Notice...

And to...

A Million Little Things: James Roday and David Giuntoli are in the cast. I loved Psych and hated Grimm and the synopsis sounds boring af. Probably won't watch.

You asked where the comedies are? Murphy Brown actually was 1 in its original incarnation & it is again in its new version.

If your cable/satellite provider carries a channel called AntennaTV, they air the now original version of Murphy Brown Monday-Friday nights at 11PM Eastern/10PM Central Time & late Saturday & Sunday afternoons at 5PM Eastern/4PM Central Time. Just consult your local listings/cable or satellite TV guide for the correct channel in your area. If you don’t have cable/satellite TV (you watch “over the air” TV) & AntennaTV airs in your market, it will be a digital subchannel on your tuner (1 of the channels on your digital tuner that starts with a local channel # followed by any number above 0).

Take Two, if you weren’t aware, is currently airing, & has been since around June 21st. It’s on ABC Thursday nights at 10PM Eastern/9PM Central Time.

I don’t watch it, but basically it’s the same premise as Castle; only with a gender swap as to which character is the cop & which is the “fish out of water” paired with them for research purposes. Eddie Cibrian plays the police detective; Rachel Bilson plays an actress who had a “spectacular” meltdown on TV, ended up in rehab, & is now trying to get her career back on track. She’s shadowing Eddie’s character researching for what she hopes will be the role that will get her acting career back on track.

As for Magnum, P.I., it might hopefully surprise & stick around awhile. I know I’m looking forward to it. The guy behind it is Peter Lenkov, who’s also behind the very successful Hawaii Five-0 & MacGyver (no U between the G & Y) reboots—both of which I watch & love. I plan to watch the new show, & expect to love it just as much as the others just based on seeing the preview trailer.

Lenkov’s “signature” in all 3 of the reboots is to gender swap a character (so far, all male characters) from the original version to the new version. Hawaii Five-0 had a female version of the Kono Kalākaua character, until Grace Park (who played her) left the show in a salary dispute between S7 & S8 (last season).

MacGyver had the character Pete Thornton (played by actor Dana Elcar in the original), Mac’s boss at The Phoenix Foundation, gender swapped to Patricia Thornton, played by actress Sandrine Holt. But she only lasted until midseason of S1, at the most, with no explanation as to why she was replaced. The character was discovered to be a mole & she went on the run to elude prosecution. Her replacement was a totally new character, Matilda “Matty” Webber, played by Meredith Eaton. 

In the Magnum, P.I. reboot the character of Jonathan Quayle Higgins III—who was played by the late John Hillerman in the original—is now Juliet Higgins. She’s being played by Perdita Weeks.

As for A Million Little Things, the part of 1 of the characters in the Pilot (I think she’s a wife, mom & lawyer) has been recast. That character is now being played by Grace Park.

• Love 1
(edited)
44 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

If your cable/satellite provider carries a channel called AntennaTV, they air the now original version of Murphy Brown Monday-Friday nights at 11PM Eastern/10PM Central Time & late Saturday & Sunday afternoons at 5PM Eastern/4PM Central Time. Just consult your local listings/cable or satellite TV guide for the correct channel in your area. If you don’t have cable/satellite TV (you watch “over the air” TV) & AntennaTV airs in your market, it will be a digital subchannel on your tuner (1 of the channels on your digital tuner that starts with a local channel # followed by any number above 0).

Thanks for that info. I'm going to be watching, I haven't seen that show since it was originally airing.

Edited by festivus
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Charmed: Hate it. Why does this feel like the only reboot not bringing back the original cast? Also, as much as I loved the show, I was a little burned out by the time Billie and Christie showed up. I might keep an eye on this to see if they really handle the feminism well or it's just pandering but what I've heard so far is not encouraging.

Do you think any of these women would ever consent to be on the same sound stage with each other? Rose hated the show and would never do tv again. Holly and Shannon now can't stand each other. Shannon and Alyssa like each other now. Drew Fuller seems to want to completely disavow it. Wes would probably do it. It's best to just do another story in the Charmed universe, which is what they are doing. My understanding is that the reboot alludes to the previous Charmed Ones.

5 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Roswell, New Mexico: Um... what now? Apparently based on a book but I see potential landmines all over the place to trip up the writers.

It's both a reboot of Roswell and based on the Roswell High books. The original Roswell tv show wasn't particularly faithful to the books.

• Love 1

It's best to just do another story in the Charmed universe, which is what they are doing. My understanding is that the reboot alludes to the previous Charmed Ones.

Well, it's not like they would need EVERYONE. They've clearly been able to write around the third sister before. Or it could follow the next generation but have some of the old cast members around (which also keeps the original actresses a little separated) like the early seasons of Pretty Little Liars before the parents were hanging out. I wouldn't hate another story in the Charmed universe but it seems like they're retreading the exact same ground but making it slightly worse with this mentor male figure (who I think is their whitelighter). 

4 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Do you think any of these women would ever consent to be on the same sound stage with each other? Rose hated the show and would never do tv again. Holly and Shannon now can't stand each other. Shannon and Alyssa like each other now. Drew Fuller seems to want to completely disavow it. Wes would probably do it. It's best to just do another story in the Charmed universe, which is what they are doing. My understanding is that the reboot alludes to the previous Charmed Ones.

Why do Shannon and Holly hate each other now? They were best friends for years. Holly wanted to leave Charmed after Shannon was fired.

Now Alyssa and Shannon like each other. This is bizarro world.  

31 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Why do Shannon and Holly hate each other now? They were best friends for years. Holly wanted to leave Charmed after Shannon was fired.

Now Alyssa and Shannon like each other. This is bizarro world.  

Shannon and Holly had some weird falling out around the time Shannon found out she had cancer, which was when Alyssa and Shannon reconciled.

It's a shitshow that you would NEVER willingly invite into the reboot or if it had been a true continuation of the series. Nearly every other somewhat popular 90s tv show has managed an Entertainment Weekly reunion issue, but this show can't because these people HATE each other. Their interpersonal dynamics are beyond screwed up. That's what's so disingenuous about Holly wanting the original cast to be included: a third of them want nothing to do with the show (Rose and Drew), another third can't stand each the others (Rose, Holly, and Shannon), and the final third wants to be involved (Holly, Shannon, Alyssa). Drew Fuller wants nothing to do with the show. So you could only do a continuation if you did a massive recast.

Once again I feel like this reboot, which is not a true reboot, because it exists in the same universe is probably the best option. If the show works, maybe they can include some of the original cast as the show progresses. Plus I like the idea of this being a bit of an offshoot so that they can fix some of the MASSIVE world building and continuity issues from the original show.

2 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Shannon and Holly had some weird falling out around the time Shannon found out she had cancer, which was when Alyssa and Shannon reconciled.

It's a shitshow that you would NEVER willingly invite into the reboot or if it had been a true continuation of the series. Nearly every other somewhat popular 90s tv show has managed an Entertainment Weekly reunion issue, but this show can't because these people HATE each other. Their interpersonal dynamics are beyond screwed up. That's what's so disingenuous about Holly wanting the original cast to be included: a third of them want nothing to do with the show (Rose and Drew), another third can't stand each the others (Rose, Holly, and Shannon), and the final third wants to be involved (Holly, Shannon, Alyssa). Drew Fuller wants nothing to do with the show. So you could only do a continuation if you did a massive recast.

Once again I feel like this reboot, which is not a true reboot, because it exists in the same universe is probably the best option. If the show works, maybe they can include some of the original cast as the show progresses. Plus I like the idea of this being a bit of an offshoot so that they can fix some of the MASSIVE world building and continuity issues from the original show.

I remember seeing pictures of Shannon and Holly at the time that she had cancer. I saw a girl's trip pictures with Shannon's friends supporting her, loving her and Holly was present. I hope that they can work it out. They have been friends for too long.

I could understand why Rose wants nothing to do with the show. I have always gotten the vibe that she thought TV was beneath her. She only did Charmed to pay the bills. Given what Harvey did to derail her career. I could understand.

Why is Drew so contemptuous of the reboot. I remember how he was very disappointed when Chris was killed at the end of season 6.

Shannon and Alyssa reconciling is weird on so many levels. 

Do Alyssa and Holly get along?  How about Rose and Holly?

I am against the reboot. I will only get on board with it, if and only Connie is invited to redo her show that was stolen by Brad Kern. The show lost something special after she was pushed off, of her  own show. I am not saying that she was perfect. Her discomfort about Cole was spot on.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

Charmed: Hate it. Why does this feel like the only reboot not bringing back the original cast?.......

.....Well, it's not like they would need EVERYONE. They've clearly been able to write around the third sister before. Or it could follow the next generation but have some of the old cast members around (which also keeps the original actresses a little separated) like the early seasons of Pretty Little Liars before the parents were hanging out. I wouldn't hate another story in the Charmed universe but it seems like they're retreading the exact same ground but making it slightly worse with this mentor male figure (who I think is their whitelighter). 

Agree with posts above about hard feelings between too many of the original cast members. Also, seriously, like ANY show on the CW (AKA  the YA network) is going to have a cast of stars that old.   BTW I don't think they're bringing anyone back from the original Magnum or Roswell any more than they did with Hawaii 5-0 or MacGyver.  Maybe a nostalgic guest spot here or there, but that's it.    Plus they're doing it as a Latina show, which I think will be a first for them.  I'm indifferent in any case.

I'm more interested to see who they get to do the weekly guest star shots on Murphy Brown as her assistant who will inevitably get fired or quit in a rage by the end of the episode.  

I also am curious about what Gilded Age will turn out to be on CBS with Julian Fellowes as an exec producer.

Edited by ratgirlagogo

I think Alyssa and Holly get along. I believe that Holly and Rose get along superficially, but that it would have fallen apart if they had to  film together.

The problem is that this isn't a reboot. Reboot means that they are redoing the original characters and world over from the start. They aren't doing that here.

A revival is where they pick up with the existing characters and actors years later. That's what I've seen some fans ask for. That's pretty much impossible with this cast.

A remake is pretty close to a reboot, but is often a little bit more faithful to the source material. This is what some people argue for by bringing Connie back.

A spin off is when an existing character from a show is spun off into their own show. 

A backdoor pilot is a regular episode of a TV show that is intended as a pilot for a whole new show.

A "spin on" which is a tv term that doesn't really exist anymore is what this is. It's when shows exist in the same universe like this. Characters from the mothership might pop up from time to time and crossover for an episode or two.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I think Alyssa and Holly get along. I believe that Holly and Rose get along superficially, but that it would have fallen apart if they had to  film together.

Holly was a super vocal defender of Rose lately and Alyssa actually leaned toward Team Amber when they had their one or two spats on Twitter.

• Love 1

Also, seriously, like ANY show on the CW (AKA  the YA network) is going to have a cast of stars that old.  

That's another thing. What is this going to be about? If they wanted to do a feminist show in the #metoo era, Charmed (at least early Charmed) is actually kind of perfect but not with kids this young. Early Charmed was all about these sisters constantly being bombarded by and eventually learning to deal with predatory men (sorry, demons). I like Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and iZombie (even if last season was a mess) but the teen shows don't do it for me. Except for Degrassi (which I watch because it's hilarious) I'm too old for the real Disney Channel kind of stuff. Do those shows ever click? I feel like their only hits are the superhero shows that actually skew a little older (20-to-30 somethings).

BTW I don't think they're bringing anyone back from the original Magnum or Roswell any more than they did with Hawaii 5-0 or MacGyver.

I don't know. Maybe it's because I'm so attached to Charmed, but it feels different than just bringing back an action procedural. Like, sure do new Miami Vice or NYPD Blue or whatever's in the pipeline. But Charmed is more like Will & Grace or Gilmore Girls or Gossip Girl. I don't want to see new Gossip Girl. It doesn't make sense to do more stories in that universe without the same characters. I feel like I'm not articulating this well but to me there's a difference between more character-based shows and more procedural/plot-based episodic shows. 

34 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I always got the vibe that Holly and Alyssa were work friends.  Her best friend and sister was Shannon. In fact, I remember Alyssa complained that she was frozen out of the Holly/Shannon bond. She said that they behaved like a high school clique. The girls pushed back on her claims.  Rumor has it that Alyssa told the producers of Charmed, it is either Shannon or me..

43 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Plus they're doing it as a Latina show, which I think will be a first for them. 

The CW?  I would consider Jane The Virgin a Latina show which has been on the past four years. 

• Love 7
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

The CW?  I would consider Jane The Virgin a Latina show which has been on the past four years. 

"
Oops, you're right.   I'm only a regular viewer of the comic book shows on the CW so I always forget.  I never watched Gossip Girl or any of that.   So, it's an ADDITIONAL Latina show. :)    But it also allows them a way to do the same thing without feeling like a straightup remake.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I always got the vibe that Holly and Alyssa were work friends.  Her best friend and sister was Shannon. In fact, I remember Alyssa complained that she was frozen out of the Holly/Shannon bond. She said that they behaved like a high school clique. The girls pushed back on her claims.  Rumor has it that Alyssa told the producers of Charmed, it is either Shannon or me..

I know that's always been the rumor, but Shannon is the one with the horrible reputation. I can believe that it was a bit like high school. I can also believe that Shannon was a psycho asshole too. I can fully believe that Aaron Spelling hired her on the condition that she not pull the same shit she pulled on 90210 and then she managed to be a bitch to Alyssa and get a DUI and that was it for Spelling. She only stopped getting into fist fights in 2003. She was a mess and it was only going to get worse.

• Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, Blergh said:

Why would I not be surprised if the new Murphy Brown lasts all of two episodes: the first watched out of curiosity, the second out of pity? Alas, most of the humor of the original had to do with up-to-the-minute 90's events.

I don't know, I can actually see this one working, but that's only if they can manage to keep the sharp satire. Lord knows the Trump administration is going to give them plenty of material.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 14
(edited)
24 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I know that's always been the rumor, but Shannon is the one with the horrible reputation. I can believe that it was a bit like high school. I can also believe that Shannon was a psycho asshole too. I can fully believe that Aaron Spelling hired her on the condition that she not pull the same shit she pulled on 90210 and then she managed to be a bitch to Alyssa and get a DUI and that was it for Spelling. She only stopped getting into fist fights in 2003. She was a mess and it was only going to get worse.

I do think that Shannon had her issues, but, I always felt her shenanigans were exaggerated, by people who disliked her.  Bryan Austin Greene alluded to people being threatened by her talent.  She never needed too much to prep for a scene and would always nail it.  

I do think that she had the right idea about Charmed going very dark and the show's focus being about the sisters. She complained about the show going down the wrong path.  She did clash with Brad Kern who did not appreciate a woman who did not know her place.  I think that the series was never the same after she left.  Even Holly complained that season 3 was very repetitive in the type of stories that they were doing. Alyssa complained as well.  Holly said whatever issues that existed amongst the three. They would have gotten over it, but, some producers got involved and made things worst.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 8
(edited)
10 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I don't know, I can actually see this one working, but that's only if they can manage to keep the sharp satire. Lord knows the Trump administration is going to give them plenty of material.

That's the part I'm looking most forward too. That was always my favorite part.  And the episode when she tried to change when Clintons took office. She did everything she could being nice and friendly so she wouldn't be banned from the White House. Only to accidentally kidnap their cat. She should have no shortage of material to work with.  I don't want a watered down Murphy Brown I want the same awesome, sharp witted that was in the original series.  

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

I can't wait for Murphy to take on the Trump Administration. I think there will be many people who agree with me. I hope they make it clear that Avery's father abandoned him Murphey didn't keep them apart as Dan Quale claimed.

• Love 9

Does anyone know if Murphy Brown is in reruns anywhere? I haven't seen it since it went off the air, too long ago. This is the perfect time for it to make a return. 

(edited)
6 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I do think that Shannon had her issues, but, I always felt her shenanigans were exaggerated, by people who disliked her.  Bryan Austin Greene alluded to people being threatened by her talent.  She never needed too much to prep for a scene and would always nail it.  

I do think that she had the right idea about Charmed going very dark and the show's focus being about the sisters. She complained about the show going down the wrong path.  She did clash with Brad Kern who did not appreciate a woman who did not know her place.  I think that the series was never the same after she left.  Even Holly complained that season 3 was very repetitive in the type of stories that they were doing. Alyssa complained as well.  Holly said whatever issues that existed amongst the three. They would have gotten over it, but, some producers got involved and made things worst.

I remember watching a few episodes when it first aired, twenty years?? I have to stop thinking about when things aired. I didn't keep up with it after that. I tried to watch reruns at some point, years ago, when it was on TNT? I think it still is, but I thought it was mostly terrible. 

On 7/22/2018 at 11:33 AM, BW Manilowe said:

From TV by the Numbers/Zap2It.com'Colony' Canceled by USA Network After 3 Seasons

I came here hoping that there might be news on someone picking it up, but I guess it just wasn't popular enough in the first place. It probably dropped in viewership, because they left people in the dark as to when this last season would air. I can't remember if someone here told me that it would probably air in May, when I looked for it earlier in the year. I mean, in its own forum. I completely forgot to look for it. I think they made a mistake in moving it from January. 

On 7/22/2018 at 8:38 PM, BW Manilowe said:

I still have to watch season two of this. I watched part of the first season when my mother was in the hospital, and then finished it just before Thanksgiving. I started season two, but didn't get very far. 

On 7/26/2018 at 6:39 PM, OtterMommy said:

Okay, I just got the name mixed up...for some reason, I thought the dog (Eddie!) was Martin.  I've even seen most of the series relatively recently...sigh!

Actually, my omitting the female characters wasn't an oversight.  While I enjoyed Roz (and tolerated Daphne), I never felt that they were crucial to the show.

Oh, one thing I remember most about that show, is Eddie sitting and staring at Frasier. They had celebrities call in for many of the radio shows. I wonder who they would have call in now.

I miss The Closer, but that was already kind of rebooted as the other show, that I've never watched. 

Edited by Anela