Type keyword(s) to search

This Just In: New, Cancelled, Returning, And On-Hiatus Shows News

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I don’t think anything’s as expensive on Netflix, as The Crown.

People have had to guesstimate on the crown cost so it’s between $6.5 million and $13 million an episode and Sense8 fell right in the middle of that at $9 million an episode but without the viewership, accolades and talk as The Crown.

• Love 1
On 5/30/2018 at 2:12 PM, Raja said:

Perhaps when the Cosby allegations came out everything disappeared  then A Different World returned followed by The Cosby Show. I wonder if I Spy and The Bill Cosby Show is on one of the oldies stations.  I doubt if the Kevin Spacey arc has been pulled from Wiseguy 

Though with Wiseguy, it seems less urgent to pull a story arc where a sleazy actor was pulling a sleazy character than it is to pull the sleaze who is supposed to be America's beloved tv family member. 

On ‎06‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:45 AM, roamyn said:

I don’t think anything’s as expensive on Netflix, as The Crown.

True, but it's apparently getting enough viewers to justify the expense.  Sense8 wasn't, according to Netflix.

• Love 1

I just saw an article that The Connors is a go on ABC next year.

I’m disappointed in ABC. They should have just let the show go. I’m curious to see how people who supported Roseanne is going to react to the news...

• Love 3
6 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

I’m disappointed in ABC. They should have just let the show go. I’m curious to see how people who supported Roseanne is going to react to the news...

It is a go. 10 episodes (ordered for now, anyway); The Conners (not Connors) will air in the time slot where Roseanne would've aired this fall. Roseanne has no creative or financial interest in the show & will not appear in it.

However, since the original show, Roseanne, was picked up for the fall schedule then canceled, Union rules (apparently SAG-AFTRA's) state the cast must be paid for the 1st 7 episodes they would've done of the 13 ordered for the fall season (I don't know, now, if she gets that money or if she gave that up along with her other financial & creative stakes in the show). Roseanne has, however, released a statement saying she's happy the around 200 jobs that are connected to the Roseanne show have been saved.

I siad this at the time it was cancelled, they should just do what they did to Valerie Harper, kill off the character and rename the show.     The sticking point here was getting Roseanne to not have a damn cent from the show even if she didn't appear.

(edited)

I'd bet good money that it was impossible to go forward without Barr benefiting in some way, and that financial agreements have been made outside of public scrutiny. That's what high-priced entertainment industry lawyers are for. If we're lucky, she'll be contractually obligated to keep her big trap shut about it but I wouldn't be at all surprised if she gets back on Twitter to blab about it eventually if the show manages to be successful without her.

I don't care one way or the other, though. Neither the original nor the reboot ever resonated with me but if this works for other people I hope they get a new show they like, hopefully with less politics and more family stuff.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 7
28 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

I watched a show that was canceled after one season this year and was thinking that even if we couldn't get a movie or a wrap up mini-season, then it would be so nice if the writers, who decided to end on a cliff hanger (apparently already written and filmed before cancellation) could write up what they had planned for the story and get it out there.  I'd love that for any show that was canceled after having done a season finale cliff hanger.

• Love 12
On 21/06/2018 at 8:53 PM, SnoGirl said:

Agree!  This show is tainted now.  Just let it go, already!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, WarnerCL45 said:

Agree!  This show is tainted now.  Just let it go, already!

I disagree.  The characters on that show are wonderfully developed and Laurie, John & Sara Uber-talented and funny in their own right.

I’m all in.

• Love 9
(edited)

I liked the original, like the recent comeback and will watch the new one too.  It just offers some kind of charm that I love.  I like Darlene okay, but, my favorite bit is the way Becky getting frustrated with her family.  It cracks me up.  She just lets them push her buttons and I find that funny for some reason.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Why is it not a problem that she was one of the celebs heavily involved in NXIVM?

https://artvoice.com/2018/04/14/will-grace-park-speak-role-cult-leader-busted-sex-trafficking/#.WzR6StJKgdU

I have no idea. But I suppose it should be, like the #MeToo/Harvey Weinstein (et al) thing is for the men named as being involved in that.

What got me about it wasn't that, though. It was that she signed on to do another series so quickly (she only took a year/TV season-long break off) when, based on how, among other things, during her contract dispute before H50 S8, Grace supposedly wanted to do less than half of the episodes of Hawaii Five-0 Season 8, or less than 12-13 (there were 25 eps in S8), then she wanted Kono written out entirely.

To me, that sounded like someone who wanted to spend more time with her family (especially her young son, who was born somewhere between H50 S3 & S4) after having worked so long & hard for at least the last 7 years (plus however many seasons she was on the Battlestar Galactica reboot). It didn't sound like someone who quit a series after 7-ish years, plus however many years for BSG right before that, only to go back to work after, basically, a year off.

2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

What got me about it wasn't that, though. It was that she signed on to do another series so quickly (she only took a year/TV season-long break off) when, based on how, among other things, during her contract dispute before H50 S8, Grace supposedly wanted to do less than half of the episodes of Hawaii Five-0 Season 8, or less than 12-13 (there were 25 eps in S8), then she wanted Kono written out entirely.

To me, that sounded like someone who wanted to spend more time with her family (especially her young son, who was born somewhere between H50 S3 & S4) after having worked so long & hard for at least the last 7 years (plus however many seasons she was on the Battlestar Galactica reboot). It didn't sound like someone who quit a series after 7-ish years, plus however many years for BSG right before that, only to go back to work after, basically, a year off.

Hawaii Five O filmed in Hawaii, which is what I think the issue was. This new series is likely not filmed there.

42 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Hawaii Five O filmed in Hawaii, which is what I think the issue was. This new series is likely not filmed there.

Yep, a non-stop flight from Vancouver (which I believe is where she lives) to Honolulu is a hair over six hours; add in getting to the airport early, waiting for luggage, and of course going through customs, the travel is a long day.  The contract she pitched would have reduced her time as well as gotten her written out, but it was also a very big ask.  She found the sweet spot between what she would re-sign for and what they might or might not accept.

(edited)
9 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Hawaii Five O filmed in Hawaii, which is what I think the issue was. This new series is likely not filmed there.

No. But it also might not be filmed in Vancouver either. MacGyver, for example, films in Atlanta; Walker Texas Ranger filmed in Dallas; other shows have filmed in North Carolina (if they aren't filming there now). Commuting to LA (or wherever) for filming would be/is pretty much the same thing (except maybe a shorter plane flight, depending on where they film), in my humble opinion, as commuting to Honolulu.

Also, the last time I looked at her Wikipedia page, it said she was both a US & Canadian citizen (having been born in the US, then moved to Canada as a child). There may not be any/many Customs issues, except perhaps needing a Passport/US Passport Card to cross the border, & using whichever 1 helps out best on each side of the border.

I still think there's stuff we don't know about why Grace, & Daniel, left H50. As I said before this all went down, Daniel was on his social media, reassuring the fans that he could (& would) be able to play Chin Ho in S8, filming in Hawaii, & to act as 1 of the credited Executive Producers on The Good Doctor (which, I found out earlier this week films in Vancouver (ironically) when Daniel posted to social media about the first day of the first table read for S2) at the same time. Then, suddenly, both were gone (though there were signs at least Grace would be leaving, based on what they said when she wrapped filming on S7).

Then recently, unfortunately I don't remember where now, I read something that seemed to say neither Grace nor Daniel was happy being on H50 before they left the show; if true, I think Daniel should've at least not reassured the fans he would be back last season if, behind the scenes, he wasn't happy on H50 anymore.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add info.
21 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

No. But it also might not be filmed in Vancouver either. Commuting to LA (or wherever) for filming would be the same thing (except maybe a shorter plane flight, depending on where they film), is pretty much the same, in my humble opinion, as commuting to Honolulu.

The pilot, a strong indicator of where the series will be filmed, was shot in Vancouver. 

2 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

The pilot, a strong indicator of where the series will be filmed, was shot in Vancouver. 

Then I guess that's why she signed on. I wasn't aware of much about the show before Grace became attached, as they say, except James Roday, who was in Psych, was among the cast members named when the show was announced at ABC's Upfront presentation.

8 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I still think there's stuff we don't know about why Grace, & Daniel, left H50. As I said before this all went down, Daniel was on his social media, reassuring the fans that he could (& would) be able to play Chin Ho in S8, filming in Hawaii, & to act as 1 of the credited Executive Producers on The Good Doctor (which, I found out earlier this week films in Vancouver (ironically) when Daniel posted to social media about the first day of the first table read for S2) at the same time. Then, suddenly, both were gone (though there were signs at least Grace would be leaving, based on what they said when she wrapped filming on S7).

They left because they were being low-balled on salary. That was very public knowledge and the fact that the two Asian leads were paid significantly less than the white leads and neither was offered any backend money. They didn't negotiate together and still came to the same decision which says to me that they felt undervalued and underpaid and the last second increase offered by CBS was either not high enough or insulting on a personal level. Seven seasons in, they should have been at parity. They weren't so they left.  

• Love 10
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:08 AM, ratgirlagogo said:

Why is it not a problem that she was one of the celebs heavily involved in NXIVM?

https://artvoice.com/2018/04/14/will-grace-park-speak-role-cult-leader-busted-sex-trafficking/#.WzR6StJKgdU

It is bizarre that a network that is owned by Disney and just went through the thing with Roseanne would hire an actress for a pilot when the leaders of the cult she was/is affiliated with are being prosecuted.  Its not getting that much media attention now but none of the people involved are really working in entertainment right now.  Seems like a trial and an actress, who was a member of the cult on a network show, is a recipe for another ABC PR nightmare.

• Love 5
On 28/06/2018 at 8:08 AM, ratgirlagogo said:

Wow, that article is quite the hit piece. Other than the fact she was part of the cult, I've not seen any of that stuff reported anywhere else...

On 28/06/2018 at 9:54 PM, BW Manilowe said:

I have no idea. But I suppose it should be, like the #MeToo/Harvey Weinstein (et al) thing is for the men named as being involved in that.

Being a serial harasser/assaulter =/= being "involved in a cult".

When I hear someone is "involved in a cult", I usually assume they're a victim, not the cult leader or one of their lieutenants. So for now and until we find out anything to the contrary, I'll keep assuming Park hasn't done anything nefarious that should prevent her from being employed...

• Love 5

He looks weird without the beard and I don't generally like beards.

3 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I'm happy for Tom Mison, loved him in Sleepy Hollow.  But whatever happened to Nicole's "Jacob's Ladder" reboot/remake? It completed filming in 2016 I believe.  Guess it's just sitting around somewhere gathering dust.  Now let me back out of my own conversation before I have flashbacks and get all heated again.  

I looked her up on IMDB the other day because I was wondering about that. She's only got that and one other movie listed since Sleepy Hollow.

(edited)
20 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I barely recognize him without the beard! 

IKR! He looks better with the beard. IMHO.  Congrats to him though. He's a good actor.

17 hours ago, festivus said:

I looked her up on IMDB the other day because I was wondering about that. She's only got that and one other movie listed since Sleepy Hollow.

Looks like Jacob's Ladder is slated for release in 2019. At least according to IMBD. Her other movie (Monsters and Men) was shown at Sundance, but doesn't look like it received much buzz. Perhaps that will change once it's released considering the subject matter.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 3

I think he looks better with the beard and long hair, but I still think he is handsome without it.

And I am glad he has found another role and that The Watchmen may be coming to the smallscreen.

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, Enero said:

Looks like Jacob's Ladder is slated for release in 2019. At least according to IMBD.

A film completed in 2016 is not slated for release until 2019?  That doesn't sound good.

Edited by MissAlmond
On 6/29/2018 at 12:39 AM, biakbiak said:

They've announced that the A Million Little Things will be filmed in Vancouver (it was rumored it would be shot in LA, but I guess not).  Filming starts in about 2 weeks.

• Love 1
(edited)

Came to this thread looking for suggestions. It feels like I went from having way too many TV shows to having nothing new to watch (until Harlots comes back next week, anyway). I know it's summer, but this month feels really dead for Peak TV. What am I missing? I must be missing something. 

--Pretty burned out on Handmaid's Tale, will be glad to see the end of this season

--Done with Glow season 2

--Not ready for Luke Cage S2, but will watch it at some point

--Down to the dregs of moody British crime TV (done with Marcella S2)

--Barely hanging on for Elementary's last season, but the show puts me to sleep at this point

I've checked out some places that advertise what new shows are on deck, but it seems like it's all lightweight supernatural fluff (and I'm not a person who thinks Stephen King has ever translated well to television, so no Castle Rock for me), warmed-over network medical shows ("New Amsterdam"), and ... I see they're still trying to use the Lost model ("mystery event and now everything is different!"):

https://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/Manifest-summary

Someone point me to some good scripted dramas?

Edited by kieyra
15 minutes ago, kieyra said:

Is there a suggestions thread? I would like somehing like that.

I just finished watching The Forest (La Foret), Offspring, and Casualty. (I also saw Marcella 2 and Luke Cage.)

The Forest is a French mystery and one season. Offspring is an Australian show with seven seasons that should have ended after five. It is more of a drama with some comedy but not a dramedy. Casualty is British and ended rather quickly and is one season.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, kieyra said:

13 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

Is there a suggestions thread? I would like somehing like that.

Yep, there is:

• Love 3
14 hours ago, kieyra said:

--Down to the dregs of moody British crime TV (done with Marcella S2)

Sorry, are you saying you don't want more moody British crime TV or that you would like more?

If you like moody British crime TV, maybe check out Keeping Faith (and a show called Hidden (2018), but I don't think that one will be as easy to find, at least not yet, as it is tucked away on a regional channel). If you want slightly more upbeat British crime TV, check out Bulletproof, which aired on Sky One recently.

• Love 1
On ‎06‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:02 PM, GinnyMars said:

Wow, that article is quite the hit piece. Other than the fact she was part of the cult, I've not seen any of that stuff reported anywhere else...

Being a serial harasser/assaulter =/= being "involved in a cult".

When I hear someone is "involved in a cult", I usually assume they're a victim, not the cult leader or one of their lieutenants. So for now and until we find out anything to the contrary, I'll keep assuming Park hasn't done anything nefarious that should prevent her from being employed...

Maybe not.  I do know the actress who was on Smallville was actively involved in recruiting for the cult and is facing criminal charges, but Grace Park's involvement might not be anything like that.  As you say, it's best to wait for further info.

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:51 AM, Browncoat said:

I barely recognize him without the beard! 

He really needs the beard!  Without it he looks like a member of a boy band.

• Love 2
On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:36 PM, Enigma X said:

Casualty is British and ended rather quickly and is one season.

I take it this is a different Casualty from the long running British hospital show?

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I take it this is a different Casualty from the long running British hospital show?

It is. It is so different that it is actually called Collateral. Oops!

• Love 2
Just now, proserpina65 said:

Thanks.  :-)  I want to be looking for the right thing.  Not that I mind hospital shows either.

No problem. I made this mistake in an email to a friend too.