Type keyword(s) to search

S42.E14: Alec Baldwin / Ed Sheeran

• Start Topic

Cold Open: Melissa McCarthy is back as Sean Spicer! They have a LOT of ground to cover in the past week, Alec is glad to relax Trump at least for a little while tonight. Why DIDN'T the media report on the Slaughter at Fraggle Rock?! Ha, Kate McKinnon as Jeff Sessions. That's also the only time I'll probably laugh at Jess Sessions. Melissa DRIVING that podium into people was the perfect capper.

Monologue: Alec is back to show everyone how it's done. And Pete Davidson was the perfect person to pit against Alec, he's one of the first castmembers that wasn't actually born yet when Alec first hosted.

Russell Stover Black History Heart-Shaped Box: This was great. I wonder how many people will take this the wrong way? Anyway, someone actually had to carve out all those heads and I think that's hilarious. And of course they stuck a Bill Clinton in there.

Cheetos: So it was the pandering ads vs the try-hard to be cool ads, of course the pandering one was going to win. Alec is a prominment voiceover guy, his agency had a head start!

Kellyanne: Kate McKinnon is an American treasure. At least no one can say they're handling Kellyanne with kid gloves anymore. That ending was just nuts.

Boot Camp: Alec Baldwin yelling at people won't not be funny for me. I liked how this turned out.

WU: I could go the rest of my life without seeing Trump trying to squeeze into a Batman costume. "Bel Biv DeVos" is something we'll be repeating, I tell you this. Kate as Elizabeth Warren was just great to watch, she nailed her perfectly. I think Guy Who Just Bought A Boat fell flat.

People's Court: Here's the Trump sketch! And holy crap, it's a callback to the opening sketch! Good to see AND I'M ERIC Trump and Grim Reaper Bannon in the background.

Beyonce's Twins: Tracy Morgan! This was silly.

Leslie Wants to Play Trump: Yes. Leslie yelling at Lorne = the best. And Leslie is still with Kyle! Great ending, too. I love that Melania thinks Leslie is Trump.

Curl-Ups: Short and weird. Really, a fart joke?

So the good stuff was REALLY good. The rest? Meh to okay. The show returns March 4th with Octavia Spencer.

• Love 16

Damn. No wonder there won't be an episode for three weeks. Everybody will want to bask in the awesomeness.

If SNL needed to replace Alec Baldwin as the president for any reason, I think Leslie should be considered. I mean, I'd want the male players to try out, and I'd make Bobby Moynihan the favorite since Chris Christie is irrelevant. Hell, make it a summer series, with judges Chevy Chase and Dana Carvey.

I'm hoping that Melissa McCarthy doesn't keep coming back as Spicer, only because familiarity breeds . . . dwindling results. She is so good, though. And I kinda want a motorized podium.

I swear, I want going to post a People's Court fantasy with the president involved. Eerie. I will say it wasn't fully formed in my mind. It did feel like it needed to be after Weekend Update, because it didn't burn down the joint.

Kate is still awesome as KAC. Were they spoofing Fatal Attraction? I never saw that.

Seriously, isn't February a sweeps month? Why knock off for two weeks? At least we'll get the post-election episode with Dave Chappelle next week.

• Love 5

The Cold Open was so FANTASTIC and epic that I did think it was overwhelming the rest of the show.

And then I completely lost it when they got to The People's Court. That was awesome! And I thought it was just another Spicer lie. Heh.

Were they spoofing Fatal Attraction? 

Completely, down to actual dialogue with "I won't be ignored." 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 11

The open was perfect.  I loved the Black History chocolates.  Kate McKinnon can do no wrong - none.  The KellyAnne/Jake Tapper sketch was brilliant and her Elizabeth Warren was wonderful.  Oh, and Jeff Session.  She's perfect.  I also liked Leslie wants to do Trump (ew...).  I'm also glad she's still with Kyle.

The rest of the show was okay.  And Ed Sheeran is wonderful.  

Overall, I loved this show.

• Love 10

Lovely to see Tracy Morgan show up, after his long accident recovery.

I'm guessing Kate McKinnon's Elizabeth Warren will be getting a lot of time over the coming years, since she's not going to be playing Hillary.  Meanwhile, the Kellyanne/Jake Tapper interplay in these sketches keeps getting better (Bennett is basically the show's male lead these days, so pairing him and McKinnon one-on-one like that feels more significant).

Two different sketches this week (the chocolate sketch and Cheetos) were both parodies of corporations making political statements through advertising (which reminds me of that French McDonald's ad from a few years ago about a gay kid who wasn't out to his father, which I thought at the time was a nice cultural statement, but I wasn't sure what it had to do with getting people to eat at McDonald's).

• Love 5

The Kelly Ann Conway bit was perfect...and yes, it was Fatal Attraction....I am betting that the real Jake Tapper is gonna love being thought of as the media's "Micheal Douglas"..HA!

I loved almost everything about it but after watching the extra snarky Dennis Miller update in the earlier one tonight, Update felt like it lost punch...

I laughed out loud at a lot of stuff tonight...and the Black History Month Chocolate was too funny...

• Love 9

The cold open had me laughing again.  I think they may need to lay off of Spicey for a couple of weeks though, unless he provides some more material.  The motorized podium was genius.  Oh, and the item number with the QVC graphics - then the shoes - dead.

A friend said it was supposed to be Alec playing Trump the entire episode, but that would have been tiresome.  The Peoples Court was good, I was dying as he walked in, but I think Judge Judy would've been better.  I'm thinking Kate could do a decent Judge Judy.   I think both sons were in the gallery, because when 'Trump' was saying about his wonderful character witness, the guy playing Don Jr stood up and buttoned his jacket - like oh it's me - nah.

Fatal Attraction was almost a little too dark, but damn Kate can play psycho very well.  They only missed boiling the bunny.  Then the end was a mashup of Death Becomes Her.  As I read tweets, I guess I'm getting too old.  Some people didn't realize it was a parody of Fatal Attraction.  Geesh, I thought everyone had seen that movie.

• Love 15

I thought the Kellyanne/Jake sketch was really disturbing stuff.  Like she's not creepy enough.  And yeah, I can almost see the real Jake Tapper groaning "OMG".

Update was better this week, but the rhythm still seems slightly off to me.  I thought it was a slightly odd take to go with on Elizabeth Warren, but some nice shade at Jost and Che, and yeah good practice time for Kate with that one.  I was genuinely happy Alex got a character on Update, and I liked the Lassie and  "Collie" lines. Surprised Leslie has never used the latter. Speaking of her, it was amusing to watch her play a character on there. I don't think it's a coincidence  that she was on Che's side with that. I doubt she could get through it with Colin.

Always brings a smile to see Tracy. He's looking healthy, too.

Loved the details and callbacks in Leslie's short, from Kyle to Vanessa being the mean girl.  And I would really like to see her get a shot at Trump in a live sketch. Why not?

Really enjoyed Ed Sheeran's second song. Sounds like a hit to me, and he was really feeling it.

And hey, Sasheer got stuff to do!  

ETA: 

As I read tweets, I guess I'm getting too old.  Some people didn't realize it was a parody of Fatal Attraction.  Geesh, I thought everyone had seen that movie.

believe me I know.  I saw it in theaters a couple of times.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 7

Nice to see that Leslie and Kyle are still "together."

Was Bill Clinton white chocolate?  I was away from my TV at that point and couldn't see clearly, but if so, that's hilarious.

I liked "Elizabeth Warren" grilling on Colin on being a full cast member when he only appears in 10 minutes of the show.  Very meta considering how many characters Kate does.

I thought that monologue was really kind of mean, and Alec was a good sport for all of those many unrelenting digs at his looks.  For a 17-time host, I thought they could have come up with something a little more special.

I'm just going to be repeating what everyone is saying about Melissa, but she's a comedic virtuoso.  It's amazing what she does with that impression, and I died when Spicie showed off the bangle and the shoes while the QVC info flashed.  Great stuff.

• Love 13

Cold Open: Yeah what's been said has been said. It was great. Felt somewhat formulaic but not enough to take the punch out of it. I think they should give ol' Spicey a rest for a few weeks.

Monologue: Ehh...it was okay. I liked the exchange between Alec and Pete "Are you young or just stupid" "Neither, I'm just really high right now" over not knowing something. Also, for Baldwin episodes, nothing will ever top his first time hosting. That was legitimately a strong episode up and down.

Russell Stover Black History Chocolates: I thought this was pretty funny. I liked that there was a Bill Clinton one. Kind of carries onto the Weekend Update joke about Bill being pretty much black. This gave me a good laugh. 

Cheetos: The mental imagery of the ads for Cheetos is pretty much what sells it for me. Also plays into the whole "Soulless Pandering for the Green" that a lot of ads have. 

Kellyanne and Jake: Yeah, I hope this is a recurring thing where they have Jake Tapper and Kellyanne Conway interacting using different movie genres. You had the musical, now the thriller. This was well done and Beck and Kate sold the heck out of this. Did anybody else notice how Kate kinda broke into a Glenn Close voice there? Who am I kidding, I'm sure you all noticed. 

Boot Camp: This was good. I mean not the greatest, but it worked for what it was. Though for the record, Mikey Day was the best shouter in the bunch. I almost expected them to go further into the favoritism. 

Weekend Update: Not one of their strongest weeks, but it worked for me. Kate as Elizabeth Warren was pretty good. Alex' character was an interesting one, but wasn't douchey enough. Needed more douche. The "Trying S&M Couple" was pretty good too. Then again, I have a weird thing for Mikey Day so that may just be that speaking. 

People's Court: They could've gone far more with this. I feel like there was more to this sketch but they lost track of time due to the Cold Open being fairly long. Grim Reaper Bannon strikes again. And of course, Putin coming in all shirtless is funny. BTW, Trump's sons Eric and Donald Jr. look like the Children of the Corn all grown up.

Beyonce's Twins: It's nice to see Tracy Morgan doing stuff. It really is. This sketch was okay. I was just more happy to see Tracy. Also was this the only sketch Kenan was in tonight?

Leslie Wants to Play Trump: Leslie has the Tracy Morgan role of "Only person who is allowed to yell at Lorne" character. I enjoyed this because I love how this is a little series now. Also liked the Leslie/Kyle callback (though Leslie/Colin is best fake couple). 

Sit-Up Record: I feel like this is a sketch that they always had in their back pocket in case things ran too long and they needed like a quickie 1-2 minute long sketch to fill the time just enough. It definitely feels like it was written that way. It was weird and not that great but it didn't overstay it's welcome and for that I am grateful.

Also, as an aside, I LOVE Ed Sheeran's second song "Castle on the Hill" and it bothers the crap out of me that "Shape of You" is the one that's the big hit instead of "Castle on the Hill" which is just a fantastic song and a breath of fresh air of sorts in a pop music landscape that's just kind of downbeat as hell. 

Not as good as an episode as it could've been. Though some stuff was really good, it just felt like they knew they couldn't top the cold open so they didn't entirely try that hard in some regards. Not at Tom Hanks and Dave Chappelle levels of good, but not awful either. I'm very curious about how Octavia Spencer will do. That's an interesting choice for host (I mean that in a "man, I really think this could be fantastic")

• Love 7

Did the writers really think that monolog was funny? It was suuuuch a waste of time.

I thought Melissa was being filmed off set and edited, it was so good--last and this weeks' works should be textbook for anyone in the biz (including whoever was involved with the monolog). Tight writing, perfect timing, pitchperfect delivery, surprises. Not a wasted word.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 2

Honestly it was a bit of a letdown for me. I think I was expecting too much with Baldwin hosting but maybe getting him as Trump all this time has sort of negated the need for him to host right now. Nothing else stood out for me except for when he was playing Trump. The monologue especially felt very weak and very last minute. Spicer was mostly a retread and although it was still funny, it'd have been better if it had been distanced from the first sketch a week ago. Tracy Morgan was wasted on that very unfunny Beyonce sketch. Her having twins already seems like such old news at this point.

A few things that killed me:

- Barbie and then Moana. MOANA. I was legit laughing so hard.

- "I won't be IGNORED Jake" (with the twist of her voice in "ignored" to mimic Glenn Close)

- The Leslie plays Trump sketch. Leslie really benefits from a pre-record. 

Edited by burner
  • Love 10

Given the rumor that what bugged Trump the most about McCarthy's Spicer is that he's being portrayed by a woman, I wonder if they'll make it a point to have as many of his male staffers as possible played by women.  Sessions is probably a one-off but if Bannon ever stops being a guy in a Death costume then I wonder how that will go.

Also, they probably won't go there but I also wonder what would happen if the women (mainly Conway) were portrayed by guys as part of a total swap.

• Love 7

Another great cold opening! Man, it would almost be a shame if the real Spicer got fired over Trump being upset about Melissa playing him. What am I saying -- no, it won't! Ha!!

Monolgue was funny if only because the 90s rerun showed that Alec really did look different back then.

Also loved the Kellyanne skit (she really is insane) and Trump doing the People's Court. Always happy to see Tracy.

Of Leslie ever did take over for Trump, it may drive him off the deep end. DO IT!!

I wonder if SNL ever considered having Will Arnett cameo to plug Lego Batman. That would be fun...

• Love 4

I wish I'd gone to bed as planned and watched it on DVR this morning.  It was not worth staying up for on a day that started at 5 am for me.  Other than the opener, too many skits felt like good ideas that weren't fleshed out enough.  Elizabeth Warren is a case in point -- KM captured her essence, but the writing went nowhere.  The People's Court had some excellent moments, but Putin's appearance deflated it for me.   It's an easy go-to that lacks bite from repetition, IMO.  I'm waiting for someone to explain the boot camp to me,  as I didn't laugh once during that.  I'm glad Alec embraces the fact that he's almost unrecognizable compared to his truly gorgeous younger days.   Women who have "let themselves go" to much lesser degrees take a lot more shit than he ever will.

• Love 3

I agree Inquisitionist.  The writing isn't that good.  My husband and I discussed the same thing this morning. The Elizabeth Warren skit was particularly bad.  The show is doing well because of the terrific actors and their impersonations not the writing.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

Fatal Attraction was almost a little too dark, but damn Kate can play psycho very well.  They only missed boiling the bunny.  Then the end was a mashup of Death Becomes Her.  As I read tweets, I guess I'm getting too old.  Some people didn't realize it was a parody of Fatal Attraction.  Geesh, I thought everyone had seen that movie.

I haven't seen Fatal Attraction so I didn't realize they were doing a parody of that. And I've only just recently watched Death Becomes Her because I love Meryl Streep and I'm trying to watch all the movies she was in before I was born lol but speaking of Meryl, and pissing off Rumple Trumpskin, I think they should ask her to do a female version of him. He would blow his lid if that happened haha

• Love 2

I did not like the Fatal Attraction sketch at all. Kelly Anne Conway is a vile person but her vileness has nothing to do with being a sexually-obsessed psycho. It is cheap and lazy to dismiss a woman that way. 

The part of the People's Court sketch that made me laugh out loud and rewind it was Baldwin's entrance. He really captures Trump's horrible posture and dumb resting face.

I am not a Beyoncé fan (I know, arrest me) but I thought that sketch was kind of cute. But the Kelly/Michelle diss was about much as they could out-sing her (hence why her dad broke up the band.) 

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 1

She was in a slinky dress and the sketch was clearly an homage to Fatal Attraction, but fair enough. I still have a problem with treating a woman who has been rejected in some way as an obsessive homicidal/suicidal psycho.

• Love 2

Just hand Melissa McCarthy the guest actress Emmy now. My god, that was hysterical; her lifting her leg up to show off her shoes made me completely lose it. And Kate was fantastic as Sessions, though I had trouble understanding her for most of it. 

An Alec hosted episode is always great, just because he's such a pro. Though, other than The People's Court sketch, most of my favorite things had nothing to do with him - Leslie as Trump was one of my favorites of the night, as was the Jake Tapper/Kellyanne Conway sketch. I also thought WU bounced back from last week, and I really enjoyed Alex's character - I have sadly known (and dated) that guy, so the whole thing rang so true. And while I didn't necessarily like the farting sketch, I did love that Aidy got a case of the giggles, because her hand stayed over her face for almost the entirety of the sketch. 

Even though he took some digs about his looks in the monologue, one thing I'm always impressed by is how terrible they make Alec look as Trump. He may not look like his younger self (I had such a crush on him in Beatlejuice), but I do think he's still quite handsome, and he looks so craggy as Trump. Kudos to the makeup people. 

• Love 13

How wild is it that Melissa McCarthy in glitter pumps could very possibly get the White House press secretary fired? This world, man. (At this point I won't be satisfied until we have women playing all of Trump's henchmen, just to watch him lose his ever loving mind. I mean, more than he already has.)

Black history month chocolates - that was fierce as hell. Definitely my favorite of the night. 

And Princess Beatrice really took a chunk out of Ed Sheeran's face! 

• Love 4

I am going with Cambridgeguy, I was wondering  which other men would be portrayed by women in the future. And while I enjoyed Leslie as Trump, in truth I would have loved to see Rosie O'Donnell portray him on this show,  Would love to have heard the audience recognizing her in that role.  But that is for future show debates.  I think my favorite part of Leslie's Trump portrayal, was the way she walked out the door slump shouldered, she really did look like Trump leaving a building, just physically embodied the man, before president, when he could still walk around alone-ish. .

• Love 5

I forgot to add my favorite part...of the Sean Spicer part..when "Spicy" read off the terrorist attacks and ended with "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"....that had me on the floor howling....It wasn't subtle in delivery because the cadence matched the classic song..but it was subtle in the Southern reference to the Civil War...and how some in the South still view the loss as something they can't move past......

Mcarthy just owned that..and because I love her..and "Spicy"..I really hope they give it a rest until at least the end of the season.....and I think it would be a great running gag if they had Trump in other court shows as some of his orders get rejected by the courts...

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

She was in a slinky dress and the sketch was clearly an homage to Fatal Attraction, but fair enough. I still have a problem with treating a woman who has been rejected in some way as an obsessive homicidal/suicidal psycho.

I think she was actually wearing a negligee, so more sexual than a dress even. And her clinging to Jake Tapper was very sexual as well. Even if it was true to Fatal Attraction I think it weakened the satire to even appear to suggest that a woman is by nature sexualized. I wasn't bothered by the Chicago skit the other week (in fact I thought it was hilarious) but this landed wrong for me.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Honestly, I love McKinnon's Kellyann but the Fatal Attraction analogy would work better for Trump himself and the American people IMO. He's the one that has the biggest problem with rejection. He even denies photographic evidence that there were less people coming to his inauguration then Obama's. He's the one that won't be ignored. But I get that it would clash with the narrative they have of Trump as childlike puppet of the Grim Reaper/Bannon.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

Elizabeth Warren is a case in point -- KM captured her essence, but the writing went nowhere.  

I agree. The only thing I liked in this was when she said, "My Fitbit says 'Check engine.'" 

The "Trying S&M Couple" was pretty good too. Then again, I have a weird thing for Mikey Day so that may just be that speaking.

I have a thing for Mikey, too, but it's not weird. I just think he's so funny and always an excellent performer.

At first I didn't think the Cold Open was going anywhere, but the motorized podium did it for me. That was awesome. I'm sure in the few weeks the show is off that more material will emerge on Spicer, but I hope the show doesn't do this again unless they have something really different. For instance, they need to put Trump-friendly reporters in the room -- as in real-life -- that Spicer calls on repeatedly. 

I didn't really like Kate as Sessions. I couldn't understand a lot of what she said. I wonder if the show purposely used a woman to portray the man since everyone knows this bugs Drumpf.

I didn't care for the monologue. That was weak joking about Alec's changing looks. I also thought Pete didn't do a good job.

Black History Month chocolates was great. So funny... and creepy... and wrong. 

I liked the Cheetos pitch sketch. Some advertisers try to hard to create "important" ads.

The Jake Tapper/Kellyanne sketch was great, though I am pissed off that CNN did have her back on their network. I didn't have a problem with the idea that Kellyanne was trying to use sex to get Jake to have her back. I'm not sure how to justify it, but I liked the Fatal Attraction take-off, and that couldn't have been done without the sexuality, imo. 

The Army Training Base sketch was insubstantial but cute. Again, Mikey was fun to watch. I also liked Aidy's appearance.

I didn't like WU. Again. The Guy-Who-Bought-a-Boat was interminable. I don't think Alex Moffat was good, or maybe I just didn't like any of the routine. What I did like on WU was the photo of the Falcons baby with the son-of-a-bitch shirt. Its expression was priceless. I also loved the S&M couple. Mikey and Leslie were very cute together, and the jokes about her going overboard were funny.

Loved The People's Court. I think we saw the judges' pictures on WU so we'd be familiar with them as the defendants. I always love seeing Putin -- or rather, shirtless-Beck as Putin. 

Sasheer did a good Beyonce. I loved seeing Tracy Morgan, too.

Leslie as Trump was funny. I hope this tweaks Drumpf. She didn't look at all like him except at the end when she left the building. Her body-build in that suit looked like him, I thought.

I would have liked the final sketch more if I recognized the fart noises at the start. At first I thought someone was banging something, then I thought it was Mikey grunting as he did the sit-ups. I don't know why they sounded so strange. Finally I recognized the farts. I liked how they sounded when Mikey was struggling to sit up. Did Mikey call Alec 'Dad' at the very end?

Anyway, it was a pretty good show. Not awesome, but good enough. :)

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

Did the writers really think that monolog was funny? It was suuuuch a waste of time.

I thought Melissa was being filmed off set and edited, it was so good--last and this weeks' works should be textbook for anyone in the biz (including whoever was involved with the monolog). Tight writing, perfect timing, pitchperfect delivery, surprises. Not a wasted word.

Actually, for me it addressed something I had been thinking for years. Alex's head IS bigger.

I will never get the obsession with Beyonce. She's talented, yes. So are lots of people.

They should totally do chocolates babes on groups of famous people. Super Bowl teams, U.S. presidents, iconic actors.... those chocolate carvings were amazing.

Just now, Ottis said:

Actually, for me it addressed something I had been thinking for years. Alex's head IS bigger.

I will never get the obsession with Beyonce. She's talented, yes. So are lots of people.

They should totally do chocolate assortments  based on groups of famous people. Super Bowl teams, U.S. presidents, iconic actors.... those chocolate carvings were amazing.

• Love 2

It was great to see Tracy Morgan looking well. That's about all I've got. I did think the Black History chocolates sketch was funny and I give props to whomever actually did those carvings. 

I'm sure I'm the outlier here, but I am tired of all-Trump all the time. As an old lady, I was in high school when SNL debuted in the 70s, and I've seen every show and the mocking of every president, from Ford on down. I'm just tired of nothing but Trump this season and I'd like to see some creativity and something fresh, and more of the whole cast involved. I thought the Spicer sketch was well- done last week, but felt too much too soon this week.  Too big a dose and it diluted the impact of last week. Didn't care for the Kellyanne sketch, didn't find too many sketches at all that were amusing. Baldwin is a great actor but nothing really made me laugh. 

Unlike some, I did actually enjoy that Alec allowed himself to be teased in the monologue, since he is notoriously as thin-skinned as Trump.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

...but if Bannon ever stops being a guy in a Death costume then I wonder how that will go.

Also, they probably won't go there but I also wonder what would happen if the women (mainly Conway) were portrayed by guys as part of a total swap.

I'm still hoping that the Death costume comes off in a skit to reveal Rosie O'Donnell underneath.

And while I think your idea is great about the women being played by guys, I would hate to lose Kate as Conway. Last night she was perfect!

ETA: No matter how hard I try, I just can't like Pete Davidson. I think he's one of the least funny performers ever on this show. I'd like to see more Mikey Day and WAY less (like no) Pete.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 8

I love Melissa McCarthy so I thought cold open was hilarious.  Also I always enjoy seeing Tracy.

The Elizabeth Warren and Guy with a Boat bombed for me. Completely unfunny. 

Ed Sheeran is so talented. 

• Love 2

My reaction to the Fatal Attraction bit matches Jake Tapper's:

I did find it funny BUT I also felt it was crossing a line making her completely unstable and truly psychotic and it didn't sit well with me.  The Chicago version they did was more in line in who she in. 

Unlike some, I did actually enjoy that Alec allowed himself to be

After all, he's the same guy who got kicked off the plane due to playing Words With Friends.  Where did he do his mea culpa dressed up as the pilot?  

Melissa McCarthy shut it DOWN again. Last week people didn't know it was her until a few seconds into it.  This week, the audience was cheering even BEFORE they finished reading the title card! 

My thought for Russell Stover's: who do they add on for Leap Years?

• Love 1

Mad props to makeup and hair crew for their jobs on the political characters - absolutely spot on and still sort of exaggerated for comic effect. Brilliant. 

"I just want ONE DAY of turning on CNN and not being scared to death." Oh my gosh, it's an underrated part in that skit, but whoever played MM got it pretty darn right (thought it was Strong, but wasn't sure). I cheered at that line. 

"The fiery, cinnamon caramel of Malcolm X" - that had me howling. That and the cheetos pitch sketch were sharp skewers of the liberal, corporate elite and I appreciated those. 

Guy who Bought a Boat needs a little work, but I liked him anyway.

"Know your blood type." Bwahhhh.

Thought the end of the KAC/Tapper sketch was a nod to Ju On, but Death Becomes Her makes more sense. It was darker than the usual fare, which I liked. Though I agree that putting Baldwin in the role of spurned lover/attention whore would be really funny.

I agree that it would be fun to see more televised courtroom shows with the current admins legal messes - Judge Judy, Divorce Court - any of those could be comedic gold. 

I'm still rooting for Rosie to takeover as Bannon. Fingers crossed. 

Edited by potatoradio
  • Love 4

The one line I keep laughing at from the People's Court sketch is when the judge said to Trump, "You know, earlier, a woman asked me for joint custody of a snake, and she had a better case than you."

I liked Guy Who Just Bought a Boat. Total rich douche-bro, that type needs to be mocked more often.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, potatoradio said:

"I just want ONE DAY of turning on CNN and not being scared to death." Oh my gosh, it's an underrated part in that skit, but whoever played MM got it pretty darn right (thought it was Strong, but wasn't sure). I cheered at that line.

That line made that sketch great.  That line encapsulates my daily experience as a hostage under the Trump presidency.

I love that SNL is taking Trump on with the female impersonations of his Trump administration.  Let's break him.  Leslie Jones as Trump getting in the car with Melania (let's have skits to see how Melania is coping) - more of that please.  If Alec is unavailable - bring on Leslie.

• Love 11

Here's my take on the final sketch: "Alec Baldwin is hosting. We're sneaking in Tracey Morgan behind Melissa McCarthy. Tina Fey can't make it, so we'll end the show on something that would have aired on TGS Starring Tracey Jordan."

And I liked the KAC bit a lot. It's open season on everybody on both sides, and she qualifies.

ETA: Anybody else half-expect for the Leslie bit to end with her, Kyle and "Melania" in bed together? Kyle: "That . . . was weird."

• Love 5

Gulp--I don't even miss Taran!

Boy I do.  Everyone is fine, but I don't see that any of the guys can match Taran's enormous range.  I would have loved for him to slam Piers Morgan last night.

"I just want ONE DAY of turning on CNN and not being scared to death."

That was the line of the night for sure.  It felt like she was speaking for the whole nation. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 6

My verdict: loved it!  I wasn't sure that Melissa McCarthy's newest take on Sean Spicer could top last week's brilliance, but the dolls, the bracelet and the high heels proved otherwise.  And the Segway podium? O!M!G! That was priceless! However, I do think that they should use "Spicy" sparingly and maybe do it one more time before the Season Finale. My suggestion for the next time someone asks if he's OK? Podium drones.

As a Black person, I thought the Black History Month chocolates sketch was hilarious. My favorites: the Dizzy Gillespie with Marshmallow cheeks and the Malcolm X caramels. Leslie-as-Trump was good. It had some of her best "Angry Black woman" schtick yet. The Beyonce's Twins sketch was cute, but mostly because of Tracy Morgan.

Alec Baldwin did another great job. The Cheetos and Boot Camp sketches were funny, but his Trump is everything! The "People's Court" sketch was genius. Everyone involved was perfect, especially Baldwin's Trump, Bennett's Putin and Cecily Strong's take on Judge Marilyn Milian. When she said, "I would just want for one day to turn on CNN and not be scared to death," I thought, "That makes two of us-at least." 

The Fatal Attraction spoof was awesome! The way I saw it, it wasn't about sexualizing Kellyanne Conway; it was about mocking her desperate/borderline psychotic need for attention. KAC is definitely fair game and as far as I'm concerned, SNL should not only keep going after her, they should show no mercy. 

I heart Ed Sheeran. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 13