Type keyword(s) to search

S42.E14: Alec Baldwin / Ed Sheeran

• Start Topic

20 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I also think Kate comes off as a better teammate than Kristen.  She's funny but others are written for too in her skits.

That too. I don't think Wiig deliberately dominated over the other characters in her sketches, but she almost always gave out that impression, and I don't blame most others feeling like Wiig was not a team player. Kate holds her own in sketches but doesn't overshadow the other players. 

• Love 1

I think my favorite part of the Spicey sketch was when he was reading off the central Asian names. I lost it when he muttered 'Jesus' under his breath before attempting to pronounce another one and the 'let's call her Connie' made me completely lose it.

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, slowpoked said:

That too. I don't think Wiig deliberately dominated over the other characters in her sketches, but she almost always gave out that impression, and I don't blame most others feeling like Wiig was not a team player. Kate holds her own in sketches but doesn't overshadow the other players. 

I've said this before, but it wasn't so much that Wiig set out to dominate SNL, as that Wiig was drawn to characters who dominate by being the center of attention. The woman who can't contain her excitement at surprise parties; the Broadway actress who must make "Secret Word" all about her every time; Gilly; the actress at the party who says "don't make me sing" to let you know how much she wants to sing; and on and on, all characters driven to be the focal point of their worlds. She was in too many sketches, but it wasn't her fault that Lorne felt he didn't have enough other good material. I honestly believe Wiig finds these sorts of characters compelling because she finds them so repulsive; she hates them, and wants to lampoon them by shining the light of comedy on their repulsiveness. It's ironic that in playing these characters with such success, she got mistaken for an actress who wanted to dominate her surroundings.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

It's ironic that in playing these characters with such success, she got mistaken for an actress who wanted to dominate her surroundings.

That's the thing, I don't think she wanted to be that person. She was never my cup of tea but I never read her in that way. I just think the irony is that in being drawn to those types of characters, she ended up becoming that kind of performer.  That's the mark she left on SNL.

When Kate leaves, I'll not only remember her for her original characters and impressions but some of her partnerships like she and Aidy and the girl group songs. 

54 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

"The Slaughter at Fraggle Rock" was the line that had me gasping for air.

It was great.  They should poll it.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, fastiller said:

And the one on the outside standing up when Alec Trump mentioned a character witness, as if he'd be the one to be called.  That was funny.

I loved that right after that, Putin comes in and has that elaborate handshake with Don Jr, and then when he reaches out to do a fist bump with Eric, that Alex Moffat just held Beck's fist for a second then sat down.  Mikey gets much more attention among the new cast members, but I think Alex Moffat is just as hilarious.

• Love 2

I just like...cannot be arsed to care about this show getting too "mean" right now. This is an administration where, when they're not bumbling around like an episode of Veep come to life, they're emboldening hatred, bigotry, and discrimination. If the Fatal Attraction comparison to Conway was too harsh, well, so be it.

The problem is that this administration makes it known how much this shit bothers them, which, understandably, just makes SNL want to do more of it. If 45 had any sense, he'd stop watching the show and definitely stop tweeting about it. Frankly, I find it embarrassing when anyone from any part of the political spectrum talks too much about Saturday Night Live. It's a dumb little late-night sketch show and you're supposed to be making decisions that affect 300 million people. Acknowledging what SNL is doing only gives what they're doing more power and influence.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, helenamonster said:

If the Fatal Attraction comparison to Conway was too harsh, well, so be it.

I don't think that talking about whether the premise and execution of the sketch were sexist are the same thing as calling the comparison harsh on Conway. Going hard against Conway for lying, putting party above ethics, personal gain over public welfare? Fine. Framing her relationship with the news shows as if it were a personal sexual relationship with Jake Tapper goes beyond that in a way that wasn't necessary.

I watched the clip someone posted of the original scene in the movie, and I note that in the movie, the reason Alex is in her lingerie is because she is at home. In the SNL skit, Conway had apparently broken into Jake Tapper's apartment. That immediately made her behaviour more inappropriate than the scene in the original. And of course, obviously, Dan and Alex in the movie have had a sexual relationship, so it doesn't read the same way when she stands close to him in that context. If the SNL skit had shown Kellyanne Conway in her street clothes instead of lingerie and/or her lust had been directed at fame/news/power instead of using Jake Tapper as symbol for those things, it could have been just as hard on Conway without the uncomfortable overtone.

At the same time, one could argue that McKinnon's wardrobe for the sketch was there to make it more immediately obvious that they were referencing the film and not necessarily intended to imply a sexual relationship between Conway and Tapper. The dialogue did emphasize Conway's desire to be on the NEWS (emphasis the sketch's) not specifically about Tapper himself. They can't really get completely away from the fact that the scene they were riffing is about a sexual relationship, but I don't think their intention with using said scene was to imply anything sexual. To me it read like the point they were making was about obsession, and Conway's obsession with being on the news as comparable to Close's character in the film's obsession with her affair. Or possibly also that her obsession with being on the news is, for Conway, titilating.

• Love 11
On 2/13/2017 at 5:44 PM, Irlandesa said:

I also liked his little dance with Leslie right before the credits cut off too.

So slowpoked basically wrote my response before I got a chance but having these all be different real people helps tremendously.  Wiig dominated with original characters who not only were annoying but annoying in a similar way.

I also think Kate comes off as a better teammate than Kristen.  She's funny but others are written for too in her skits.

I fucking HATED her original characters. I can't believe they actually brought back Gilly for the SNL 40th. Such an awful character. Wiig's impressions were often amazing (her Kris Jenner was uncanny), but I hope I never have to see her original characters again.

Alex Moffat's Boat Guy...eh. I get what he was going for, but it didn't quite feel right. It really was a character that Seth would have rocked back in '04.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Alex Moffat's Boat Guy...eh. I get what he was going for, but it didn't quite feel right. It really was a character that Seth would have rocked back in '04.

It felt like one of those "here's something a cast member can do so let's cram in it somewhere" pieces.

• Love 4
On 2/16/2017 at 5:34 PM, Inquisitionist said:

It felt like one of those "here's something a cast member can do so let's cram in it somewhere" pieces.

I thought the bit was OK, but I agree.  I'd add, "Here's a bit or character not strong enough to support a whole sketch, so let's cram it into WU."  They pockmarked WU for years with this kind of stuff.  These should have something to do with the fake news, somehow, unless it's something really strong.  And no, I don't mean Stefon.  

On 2/16/2017 at 9:15 PM, JZL said:

Edited by JZL