Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: Embarrassing the Sister Wives

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, DakotaJustice said:

She never left Kody.  She just moved out and got her own place, Kody visited.  It was a few years I think.  at least one of her children was conceived/born during that time.  Kody lured her back when they found the plyg house in Lehi and needed Janelle in order to finance it as from what I hear she had an inheritance of some type and funds while Kody and Meri had recently filed bankruptcy.  The home was initially in Janelle's name alone and she added Kody and Meri to the deed after the sale.

I have always wondered if that wasn't the whole thing with the Lehi house.  Janelle ponies up the dough to make buying it possible and it was the promise of her having her own autonomy (her own kitchen) and the family can live as one, but Janelle is free of the sharing the kitchen and what not with Meri.  Janelle was producing sons, Kody's favorite sons, so he would be motivated to keep her within the family.  She also had the ability to bring in a better income than the other wives.  I also believe she had the bigger section of the house.  Only fair because she had the most kids (at the time) and also was the only reason they could get that house.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

Well, isn't that just all kinds of stupid...isn't she supposed to be the smart one? I know, low bar, and all but still...

Yeah, it's pretty strange.  Janelle got away, got her own place, went back to school and got a decent job.  But she still let Kody come visit as a husband, not as the father of her children who was only there to discuss the kids and have time with them.  I think he had to travel a couple of hours to visit, so staying over would be better, but she could have put him on the couch.  Obviously, she didn't.

Who knows how things would have turned out if she hadn't gotten the inheritance from her father.  I wouldn't be surprised if he left her that money thinking it would ensure that she'd never have to go back to Lehi.  Instead, it has the appearance that when Janelle came into money, Kody turned on the (gag) charm and got her to return to the fold. 

Janelle went from living alone and paying her own way for her and her children, to bankrolling a house for Kody, Meri, Christine, and all of their children.  Thanks to Janelle, each wife had separate apartments for each wife and their kids, complete with their own kitchens; surrounding a common living area.  The separate kitchens are important, because Meri famously said that forcing sister wives to share a kitchen was tantamount to abuse.

It worked out for years.  Meri got to isolate herself when she needed to, raise her one child to be her best friend, work when she wanted to, attend school when she wanted to, and take off at a moments notice if Kody wanted to get away for a weekend.  Janelle got to isolate herself when she needed to, go to work, handle the finances, and got free babysitting from Christine for her ever expanding brood.  Christine got to stay home, run interference between Meri and Janelle, take care of all the kids, pretend she was the fun wife that Kody could turn to in times of stress, run a small home business selling something like Tupperware, and work to free her polygamous people from the horror of persecution.  Kody got to work, quit jobs when it suited him, and flit from wife to wife, always playing them off against each other and treated like a king when he deigned to show up for a scheduled visit.

But Kody eventually tired of it all, and started to talk to TLC, the go-to network if you've got some strange thing going on and want a reality show.  I can't remember which of them said it, but while TLC was intrigued by highlighting a polygamous family, they had several they were talking to.  Kody and company needed something new to bring to the table.  Suddenly, after all those years, Meri decided to bring a new wife into the family.  Someone who would be thrilled to join them, and someone who be beholden to Meri for setting the whole thing up.  Meri looked around and found Robyn, living in poverty, and told Kody to go take a look.  Kody wasn't initially impressed, but I think the siren call of TLC helped him out.

We know the rest.  Kody got more interested in Robyn, more than any of the wives expected.  I wouldn't be surprised if Robyn's stash of Fredericks of Hollywood lingerie helped.  But it got the Brown family the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
11 minutes ago, Sgt Pepper said:

Christine does look good these days! Good for her.  I think Maddie's hair looks bad because of the center part. It doesn't look good on a lot of people.  Aspyn is absolutely gorgeous!  I loved the dream catchers Maddie was making.  I thought they were very pretty! 

Part of Maddie's hair issue for ME is the badly done color jobs.  She is obviously doing it herself and you can see that mid shaft of hair is very dark (she colored over old color and it grabbed and is uneven) with lighter ends (dry and porous so it washes out)) and roots (natural color hair so it grabs a truer color).  IF one is straying from their natural hair color and going much darker or lighter its best to have someone who knows what they are doing than doing it yourself or having an untrained person slap some color on your head.  If my wedding were coming up my hair color would be on fleek (HA!, hate that word but had to use it).  She also needs to condition the ends.   Hair is my hot button.  If you are going to do something with it don't do a shitty job.  

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Janc said:

Agreed.  The trend for chalkboards and wooden signs and arrows and decorative tchockies are all totally Pinterest and since everyone does them, now they aren't special in any way.  Plus, what is she going to do with 40+ fake dreamcatchers after the wedding? Trash them.... 

Is this family all about the signs with the sayings or what? I can't remember what the sign said during pre-wedding crafting day but there was some sign I guess was either going to be passed out to guests or displayed, I don't know. The pinterest doesn't surprise me in the least after seeing all those handy-dandy facebooky sayings posters all over the place, I don't know if all of them do it, but Meri has those .  Doesn't strike me as 'bohemian' or all that original in the slightest but whatever, I don't get all these little signs and cutesy stuff as if it is a party playhouse for kids thing, with 'themes' and such. Must be some millennial thing my generation wouldn't do. Cause we're not fun like that.

I fast-forwarded a bunch , like some other poster said about 10 min on panicking about wind and watching them set up the patio. It feels like they are trying to craft outtakes into show material.  #4 and Christine and their awkward couch thing. "I was mean to you last week, but I was really mad at kody, blabbity blah... awww I'm soooo sorry.. (hug) "  The negotiation thing, the lame #4 " you have-ta make her fil like she's speshul, ya can't tell 'er she's stupid "

I wish Mykeltie would realize winter is just as cool a time to have their wedding, maybe log cabin style or whatever.  People put so much emphasis on 'the day of' like it is the end all be all. Similar to having a baby. That day leaves you after a while and real life sets in, and that is what counts.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Zahdii said:

Yeah, it's pretty strange.  Janelle got away, got her own place, went back to school and got a decent job.  But she still let Kody come visit as a husband, not as the father of her children who was only there to discuss the kids and have time with them.  I think he had to travel a couple of hours to visit, so staying over would be better, but she could have put him on the couch.  Obviously, she didn't.

Who knows how things would have turned out if she hadn't gotten the inheritance from her father.  I wouldn't be surprised if he left her that money thinking it would ensure that she'd never have to go back to Lehi.  Instead, it has the appearance that when Janelle came into money, Kody turned on the (gag) charm and got her to return to the fold. 

Janelle went from living alone and paying her own way for her and her children, to bankrolling a house for Kody, Meri, Christine, and all of their children.  Thanks to Janelle, each wife had separate apartments for each wife and their kids, complete with their own kitchens; surrounding a common living area.  The separate kitchens are important, because Meri famously said that forcing sister wives to share a kitchen was tantamount to abuse.

It worked out for years.  Meri got to isolate herself when she needed to, raise her one child to be her best friend, work when she wanted to, attend school when she wanted to, and take off at a moments notice if Kody wanted to get away for a weekend.  Janelle got to isolate herself when she needed to, go to work, handle the finances, and got free babysitting from Christine for her ever expanding brood.  Christine got to stay home, run interference between Meri and Janelle, take care of all the kids, pretend she was the fun wife that Kody could turn to in times of stress, run a small home business selling something like Tupperware, and work to free her polygamous people from the horror of persecution.  Kody got to work, quit jobs when it suited him, and flit from wife to wife, always playing them off against each other and treated like a king when he deigned to show up for a scheduled visit.

But Kody eventually tired of it all, and started to talk to TLC, the go-to network if you've got some strange thing going on and want a reality show.  I can't remember which of them said it, but while TLC was intrigued by highlighting a polygamous family, they had several they were talking to.  Kody and company needed something new to bring to the table.  Suddenly, after all those years, Meri decided to bring a new wife into the family.  Someone who would be thrilled to join them, and someone who be beholden to Meri for setting the whole thing up.  Meri looked around and found Robyn, living in poverty, and told Kody to go take a look.  Kody wasn't initially impressed, but I think the siren call of TLC helped him out.

We know the rest.  Kody got more interested in Robyn, more than any of the wives expected.  I wouldn't be surprised if Robyn's stash of Fredericks of Hollywood lingerie helped.  But it got the Brown family the show.

Well - it worked for 2 or 3 years anyway. If memory serves Janelle purchased the house in late 2007 out early 2008, just before the housing bubble popped. And also apparently as soon as Kody got on the deed, he started using the house as an ATM via an HELOC.  I think if not for the show, the Browns would have lost the house by now, Christine had filed BK in early 2010. 

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, Zahdii said:

If I remember correctly, only Meri and Janelle had to live together and that was for a short amount of time. Janelle moved into a house or trailer next door as things got ugly with her and Meri. Christine married into the family and into a separate house (she called it a bungalow I think).  They have, for the vast majority of the marriage, lived separately. The house in Lehi didn't have a common living area, it had three separate, complete apartments. Those women didn't have to see each other unless they walked up or down a set of stairs and through a door. As DakotaJustice said, they were only there for a few years before TLC came knocking and they moved to Vegas. So all that bullshit Kody was saying about getting his family back under one roof was a lie- there was no way in hell those women would have shared one house together. Two of them hadn't done it for almost 20 years, the other two never had, why start now? That was a TLC story line.

• Love 5
On 12/12/2016 at 8:00 AM, AZChristian said:

I understand your point, and I don't disagree.  But with a "limited" income (which only makes itself known when spending money in a way that Kody doesn't like), there's a difference between "skimping" for Maddie's reception and blowing money on stuff that has nothing to do with the faux theme.  They'd do better to go to a Party City store and buy fake hippy wigs and love beads.  Pillows on the floor and traditional-style wooden trays????

Don't know why the box appeared...

Has anyone considered that Caleb's shower gift was producer driven? I have been to many wedding showers and I have never seen a gift given by the Groom. It just doesn't seem like something that Caleb would do.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, AmyFarrahFowler said:

Has anyone considered that Caleb's shower gift was producer driven? I have been to many wedding showers and I have never seen a gift given by the Groom. It just doesn't seem like something that Caleb would do.

My thought was that it was Mindy driven because she is the one who told Janelle to shove it when she wanted to write "Please keep your gifts classy" on the invites. I don't think Caleb or any man would think of doing that. 

1 hour ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I think the push for the weird fishing trip was also producer driven. Give them something to film. 

I don't think it was producer driven because I think Janelle is just that stupid and selfish. And Hunter is obviously a favorite amongst her children. Probably because he is Kody's number one out of all the kids.

Edited by Nowhere
  • Love 4

Honestly the only thing that I'm sure is producer driven is the Meri/Janelle counseling sessions. I think Nancy is special to the producers for some reason so they want her onscreen. Theres no way in hell these two bitches care about making amends after all their children are basically grown and out of the house. It makes no sense, after Meri almost left the whole lot of them that she now cares so much for Janelle. 

The producers have the easiest job in the world with his family. The train wreck happens without their help. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Nowhere said:

Honestly the only thing that I'm sure is producer driven is the Meri/Janelle counseling sessions. I think Nancy is special to the producers for some reason so they want her onscreen. Theres no way in hell these two bitches care about making amends after all their children are basically grown and out of the house. It makes no sense, after Meri almost left the whole lot of them that she now cares so much for Janelle. 

The producers have the easiest job in the world with his family. The train wreck happens without their help. 

Dunno...the fact is the show has only one real dramatic premise: why aren't these women killing each other (and him). So anything that can be made to look like there's a crack in their shared insistence that they're so very happy is all the entertainment value this has.

Otherwise it's just a boring group of stupid people...and it's still pretty boring. When it's down to wedding favors and whether someone is going fishing...yawn.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Nowhere said:

And Hunter is obviously a favorite amongst her children. Probably because he is Kody's number one out of all the kids.

I don't know if I'd say that about Hunter.  Remember how annoyed King Kodouche was when Hunter had such difficulty initially adjusting to Las Vegas?  I think favorite son status goes to Logan.  And Caleb, well technically he's a son-in-law, but there's still a love story there.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, beeziebee said:

I don't know if I'd say that about Hunter.  Remember how annoyed King Kodouche was when Hunter had such difficulty initially adjusting to Las Vegas?  I think favorite son status goes to Logan.  And Caleb, well technically he's a son-in-law, but there's still a love story there.

I'm sure Kody forgot all about Hunter's difficulties with the move.  Bringing home a wrestling title puts Hunter right at or near the top of the favorites.  I actually think Logan and Hunter share first place.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Nowhere said:

My thought was that it was Mindy driven because she is the one who told Janelle to shove it when she wanted to write "Please keep your gifts classy" on the invites. I don't think Caleb or any man would think of doing that. 

I think it may have been Caleb getting some tv fame whore attention.  I know it's not a popular opinion, but I believe he loves the cameras and drama.  He's just better looking than Tony and is able to be more stealth, so he gets less hate.  Personally I don't care for him much and I feel that even though I don't like the things Tony has said, Caleb knows how to work it and come off looking better.  I find it a bit unfair to compare them.  YMMV.

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, Normades said:

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I believe he loves the cameras and drama.  He's just better looking than Tony and is able to be more stealth, so he gets less hate. 

In the looks department, I would classify Caleb and Tony as "average Joes".  I hate to admit it, but the Bates and Duggar girls managed to snag better looking husbands. 

• Love 4

Tony is I fear in the bottom 10 to 15% in the looks department.  In personality he seems to be in the bottom 5 to 10%.  The combination to me makes him close to unmarketable and what Mykelti sees in him except someone to drive her family bonkers I can't imagine.  This looks like rebellion and getting even for something that is going to backfire on her rather quickly. 

• Love 5
On 12/13/2016 at 6:00 PM, Nowhere said:

What does "polyg royalty" actually mean and how is Christine polyg royalty? 

Mykelti's ring is ugly.

Lingerie bridal showers don't bother me at all and even I was uncomfortable with Caleb giving Maddie that gift in front of everybody. It's one thing if your friends are helping you out by getting you pretty things. It's another thing altogether when everybody knows the kind of bras and panties your husband picks for you. That was in poor taste I thought. It crossed a line somehow.

I think it is amazing that the wives are on a show that is basically all about time-share peen ( (TM) IslandGal), but they get all fluttery about their monogamous daughter receiving lingerie. 

• Love 17
6 minutes ago, zenme said:

I consider Mykelti and Tony to be equally yoked. I don't find Mykelti all that attractive...

Really? You think Mykelti is that bad? I think she's pretty. I wouldn't even wish tony on either Mariah or Aurora and I think they're the least attractive of kody's older girls. Tony's looks are absolutely bottom of the barrel in my opinion. 

While I'm being shallow as hell, does anybody else think that Truely is a most unfortunate looking child? 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I think it is amazing that the wives are on a show that is basically all about time-share peen ( (TM) IslandGal), but they get all fluttery about their monogamous daughter receiving lingerie. 

Exactly! I just love how they play innocent when they all regularly receive eachother's sloppy seconds with no complaints. 

Christine actually got a lingerie gift at her bridal shower and got rid of it! That's how appalled she was at the idea.

No wonder Kody was so into plural marriage. He had to keep marrying until he found one that would show him her panties. Seriously they probably don't even undress before sex.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

Really? You think Mykelti is that bad? I think she's pretty. I wouldn't even wish tony on either Mariah or Aurora and I think they're the least attractive of kody's older girls. Tony's looks are absolutely bottom of the barrel in my opinion. 

While I'm being shallow as hell, does anybody else think that Truely is a most unfortunate looking child? 

I don't think there's anything wrong with Truly, she just needs to grow into her features. I'm sure once Truly gets older she'll be adorable. Look at Bindi Irwin--I thought she was a hideous child (shame on me, I know) and she's quite pretty now as a young lady. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, zenme said:

I consider Mykelti and Tony to be equally yoked. I don't find Mykelti all that attractive...

I consider Mykelti to attractive physically. However, with her grifter attitude and bratty demands I feel she brings nothing to the table as far as the relationship with Tony is concerned. In that way I feel that they are a match.

39 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

I agree about Truely. I classify her looks on par with Sophia Abraham on Teen Mom. I am leaving room for the possibility of both growing into their looks. I really have high hopes for Truely because I think she has an adorable personality and seems super bright for her age.

• Love 3

I don't even like attending bridal showers when I know and care about the people involved, so this was Snoozefest 2016 for me.

Did I hear Jenelle say "What the hell?" in this episode?  Isn't that a no-no?  Or am I thinking of regular LDS?

I was genuinely confused when Jenelle was talking about how she was worried Mykelti would just get married and never continue her schooling.  Ummm...hasn't Madison been taking a break from her schooling as well? 

Also, if I never have to hear Kody discuss his daughter's "physical needs" again, it'll be too soon.  Good God, man.  

• Love 7
On 12/11/2016 at 10:51 PM, TomGirl said:

What an obnoxious little SNOT McKeltie is!  Demanding that her family pay for her honeymoon is her "condition" for postponing her wedding?  She has no bargaining power; she can't force her family to shell out for a wedding just by making a demand.  Tony seems equally obnoxious.  Cheers to the happy couple.

Her bargaining power is reasonably strong -- there's nothing stopping her from collaborating with the producers on some Brown Child Tells ALL special or writing a book about the downside of growing up in a large family with feuding adults, and keeping the proceeds for herself.   I'm not saying anybody would pay her for it, necessarily, but if she's the child most likely to spill all to a curious public, it does create an incentive to at least rein her in until the show is over.  "You can have my wedding on your show as a storyline to extend the payday... or I'll find a way to finance it myself, on my own terms."

On 12/12/2016 at 1:49 PM, Juliegirlj said:

Judging by the way Christine was acting at the cookie tasting, the secret ingredient in those cookies was marijuana....

I actually rewound that scene because there were multiple hints that implied that she was high -- in her talking head she said the cookies must have had some "secret ingredient" and I didn't think anything of it, and then she got the giggles, and there was more innuendo, and I thought WTF, are these pot cookies? Did I miss something? But the baker seemed surprised, which she probably would not have been had they actually had pot in them. At any rate, any time I've dropped sugar for an extended period, my reaction to it isn't euphoria, but a total stupor.

On 12/12/2016 at 5:31 PM, Natalie68 said:

I was wondering why they paid for 200 cookies?  There are 500,000 Browns with fancy kitchens so they really couldn't make 200 cookies?  I mean come on!  Meri has the wetbar!

"Promotional consideration has been provided by...." 

Last year or the year before there were old family photos shown and Truely is a dead ringer for Aspyn at that age. Aspyn is quite lovely.

Mykelti has Christine's exact voice - it's really weird to hear it coming out of her mouth.

Edited by kassa
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, kassa said:

Her bargaining power is reasonably strong -- there's nothing stopping her from collaborating with the producers on some Brown Child Tells ALL special or writing a book about the downside of growing up in a large family with feuding adults, and keeping the proceeds for herself.   I'm not saying anybody would pay her for it, necessarily, but if she's the child most likely to spill all to a curious public, it does create an incentive to at least rein her in until the show is over.  "You can have my wedding on your show as a storyline to extend the payday... or I'll find a way to finance it myself, on my own terms."

Oh my goodness, +++++++1 to this entire idea.  Mykelti does indeed get this little glimmer in her eyes and a certain lift to her chin when she's explaining to Kody what she wants.  I love her if only for the fact that she grifts hard, if not harder, than her dear ol' dad.

I also find Mykelti quite pretty.  She and Aspyn both have amazing skin and gorgeous hair - I even liked Mykelti as a redhead.  As much as I hate to say it, Christine and Kody do produce lovely daughters.  And one terrifyingly ginormous son, whom I wish so desperately would challenge Kody to a wrestling match...loser has to shave his head.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 9

I suspect a lot of what happens is to create drama for the show.  

Yet somehow it manages to simultaneously lack any real drama while not drawing on the wealth of actual drama that exists in this family's history and present.  Maddening!

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

As much as I hate to say it, Christine and Kody do produce lovely daughters.  And one terrifyingly ginormous son, whom I wish so desperately would challenge Kody to a wrestling match...loser has to shave his head.

Oh man, whenever they last put those godforsaken lights over the cul de sac, I was dreaming of Paedon knocking King Doofus off the latter and then beeting him with it. 

• Love 1

I cannot believe they agreed to pay for Mykelti's honeymoon.  Wow, I would have told her to get lost.  Sorry, Tony is a mess.  Don't know what Mykelti sees there.  Meri is completely checked out, she barely looked up during the wedding negotiations.  I noticed that most times when they meet to discuss  things Kody is always coming in with Robin.  It looked to me like there was hardly anyone at Maddie's shower.  I saw at least 3 empty tables.  I also don't understand why Savannah is not in the wedding as a junior bridesmaid.  I find it odd Robin's niece is playing such a big part in everything.  I didn't catch all of the Robin/Christine session but I guess Christine beat up on Robin and Kody one day.  Christine does look excellent, she lost a lot of weight.    Go ahead Truley "it's gross"  I agree.

• Love 3
On 12/14/2016 at 9:42 AM, Lm2162 said:

Yeah, you're right, it's illegal everywhere. I've only heard of active prosecution in Utah because they want to distance themselves from polygamy. 

When I was LDS, I lived in New York, TN, Utah and California. I didn't know anybody who wasn't sealed who wasn't pretty actively shunned or considered unworthy. Most people I knew said they'd never get married except in the temple; people who didn't were considered "inactive" and got visits from the missionaries, even if they attended church. I assume it's different in places with very few Mormons. Either way the doctrine says you can't get into the celestial kingdom without being sealed. 

I live in California, grew up Mormon in California, and still know many Mormons although I'm no longer a member.  I've never experienced anyone being shunned or looked down on.  Many people I grew up with had only one parent who was a member of the church and the entire family was loved and welcomed at functions. My sister is an active, unmarried Mormon and is very much loved and respected in her Ward/Stake. 

21 minutes ago, JenMcSnark said:

I live in California, grew up Mormon in California, and still know many Mormons although I'm no longer a member.  I've never experienced anyone being shunned or looked down on.  Many people I grew up with had only one parent who was a member of the church and the entire family was loved and welcomed at functions. My sister is an active, unmarried Mormon and is very much loved and respected in her Ward/Stake. 

Unmarried folks or non-members are very different, I didn't say anything about them. I mean people who get married but not in the temple and how that's talked about at General Conference and in YSA wards and the like. Many people report the same, but that's my experience and I'm sure we have different ones. Especially in Utah, I heard many women directly say that anyone who couldn't marry them in the temple wasn't worthy of them. 

Edited by Lm2162
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Lm2162 said:

Unmarried folks or non-members are very different, I didn't say anything about them. I mean people who get married but not in the temple and how that's talked about at General Conference and in YSA wards and the like. Many people report the same, but that's my experience and I'm sure we have different ones. Especially in Utah, I heard many women directly say that anyone who couldn't marry them in the temple wasn't worthy of them. 

I agree it's possible that we've had different experiences, but I see a lot of misinformation in these threads and so I thought I would add my own experience. And as far as General Conference and Young Single Adult wards, I've personally never heard any message like that.  In fact there are writings on the church's website that state if you don't get sealed in the temple in this life you will have the opportunity to do it in the next, so don't consider yourself inferior or feel pressured (by Spencer W. Kimball).  I also attended many, many weddings in the church, not the temple.  And we're in the vicinity of the Oakland temple. 

But I'm sorry you've had those negative experiences.  I know that as a young woman, there did seem to be pressure to find a husband, but I tend to agree with others that it's more to do with having sex than worrying about being sealed in the temple. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, JenMcSnark said:

I agree it's possible that we've had different experiences, but I see a lot of misinformation in these threads and so I thought I would add my own experience. And as far as General Conference and Young Single Adult wards, I've personally never heard any message like that.  In fact there are writings on the church's website that state if you don't get sealed in the temple in this life you will have the opportunity to do it in the next, so don't consider yourself inferior or feel pressured (by Spencer W. Kimball).  I also attended many, many weddings in the church, not the temple.  And we're in the vicinity of the Oakland temple. 

But I'm sorry you've had those negative experiences.  I know that as a young woman, there did seem to be pressure to find a husband, but I tend to agree with others that it's more to do with having sex than worrying about being sealed in the temple. 

I disagree and heard the message many times. I'm glad you had positive experiences, but I'm also not pro LDS at this point. I found the church stifling, misogynistic (well, they're pretty overtly so), and I think how they talk about LGBTQ members and the new extra-homophobic policy about children of gay parents is truly morally disgusting. So we aren't likely to agree on the church. 

As far as GC statements on celestial marriage, they very explicitly state that temple marriage is vastly superior and essentially required of members and that it's a tragedy if you don't marry in the temple. I'd like to see the source of that exact quote because it's pretty misleading. Here are Kimball's feelings on celestial marriage, and I don't find them "kind" at all. 

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1979/10/the-importance-of-celestial-marriage?lang=eng

• Love 2
21 hours ago, zenme said:

It's interesting how easy it is to match the kids with their mothers. What Kody brings to the gene pool is a doughy look that the kids share. 

• Love 3