Sterling K. Brown 

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series
Ron Cephas Jones 

Outstanding Drama Series

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
Milo Ventimiglia 

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series
Gerald McRaney 

I think they also have nominations in makeup, costume and music, so 8 noms in all

3 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I hope Beth gets that storyline.  It would be a good fit for her and what little of her background they have given us.

I also hope it's Beth, because I don't want another instance of Randall lecturing other people how to do their jobs, like he did with Deja's case worker. 

• Love 2
On 7/24/2018 at 5:07 PM, Crs97 said:

I hope Beth gets that storyline.  It would be a good fit for her and what little of her background they have given us.

I really, really, REALLY don't understand why we know more about Deja and her lifestory than we do about Beth. When I read that the Deja origin story episode fell in the ratings, I laughed. I get that Lyric Ross is a talented child actor but Deja brings the show to a screeching halt.

• Love 9
On 8/27/2018 at 2:28 PM, biakbiak said:

Maybe it’s a curse last year they made Alexandra Breckinridge a full cast member and she was hardly on. Of course it’s unlikely that Lyric will be sidelined by a pregnancy. 

Isn't Jon Huertas technically a full cast member? We barely see him, but given the hard-on that the writers seem to have for Deja, I don't think we'll be as lucky.

They should have taken the hint when the Deja origins episode dipped significantly in ratings. Hell, they could have had Deja and her mother live for free in the apartment building that Randall seems to have forgotten that he owns in Philadelphia. That would have been a much better storyline than forcing Randall and Beth to have their own Big 3 by adding in Cousin Pam sans any kind of likeability/personality.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Isn't Jon Huertas technically a full cast member? We barely see him, but given the hard-on that the writers seem to have for Deja, I don't think we'll be as lucky.

They should have taken the hint when the Deja origins episode dipped significantly in ratings. Hell, they could have had Deja and her mother live for free in the apartment building that Randall seems to have forgotten that he owns in Philadelphia. That would have been a much better storyline than forcing Randall and Beth to have their own Big 3 by adding in Cousin Pam sans any kind of likeability/personality.

that would have been interesting, one other idea is that deja's mom is given the job to be the manager and help people with their needs at the apartment,  report problems, fix things etc , deja helps her as well, it gives the mom a chance to grow up and do something meaningful and deja a learning experience as well

• Love 3
On 8/30/2018 at 3:51 AM, possibilities said:

I like Deja. I don't understand why others don't. She's a complex character who adds a new perspective and a challenge for the adults, so they aren't just navel gazing 100% of the time.

I don't mind Deja per se, but I do mind that she's taking time that could be used on other characters who've been there since the start but haven't been developed yet. 

• Love 4
On 9/4/2018 at 6:06 PM, NutMeg said:

I don't mind Deja per se, but I do mind that she's taking time that could be used on other characters who've been there since the start but haven't been developed yet. 

Like Beth, who we barely know anything about, or Rebecca, who is the matriarch of this family yet we have yet to have any kind of flashback to her life growing up.

I feel good with Sterling not winning this year. I just don't think season 2 was strong at all.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Like Beth, who we barely know anything about, or Rebecca, who is the matriarch of this family yet we have yet to have any kind of flashback to her life growing up.

I feel good with Sterling not winning this year. I just don't think season 2 was strong at all.

We did have a flashback when she was little and her father only watched football and her mom made her and her sister leave the room. We know she has a sister(unsure if older or younger but I think younger) and she has a complicated relationship with her mom.

Also we saw in the  firsts season finale right before she met jack when she was in her 20s I guess and was all about singing and not into dating. 

I feel like i know enough about her about the same amount we know of Jack, but that’s just me. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Was anyone a little disappointed with the Paley Center special?  I was kind of hoping for new trailer/preview footage, but it's not anything that they haven't put online.  

I didn't watch the special - was it just an hour of them talking about how great the show is, how much they love the show and each other, and how much everyone cries watching the show?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I didn't watch the special - was it just an hour of them talking about how great the show is, how much they love the show and each other, and how much everyone cries watching the show?

Didn't watch either.  I give all of the extracurricular activities of TIU actors a hard pass.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, chocolatine said:

If you are an avid follower of this show on social media, you probably didn't see or learn anything "new." I did enjoy the audition tapes of the main cast, mainly because we aren't often able to see the process. 

• Love 1
On 9/20/2018 at 3:44 PM, Aloeonatable said:

If you are an avid follower of this show on social media, you probably didn't see or learn anything "new." I did enjoy the audition tapes of the main cast, mainly because we aren't often able to see the process. 

I actually enjoyed it, even if it was them talking about how great the show is etc. I mean yeah it’s clear that this was just  a special to kill a week in between the start of the fall season but i don’t know.. it’s hard for me lately to find a show where I really like the whole cast and the characters. Most shows now I only like some of the cast, or I love the cast but really dislike the characters or I like the characters and really don’t like the cast but I kind of really enjoy everything about this is us. This may be because of social media why I have such a hard time finding a balance with my shows as of late but here we are.

• Love 1
On 9/19/2018 at 10:05 PM, PRgal said:

Was anyone a little disappointed with the Paley Center special?  I was kind of hoping for new trailer/preview footage, but it's not anything that they haven't put online.  

No, I wasn't the least bit disappointed.  I hadn't seen anything for the upcoming season, so that was new to me.  I loved seeing the audition takes, and how those scenes played out in the show.  Also hearing about the creative process was interesting, how it was originally conceived as a movie with many more characters, set aside for some time, and then became the show on TV.  And how Stallone came to be on the show for Kyle's Kevin's movie.  You know, things like that.  I don't spend much time on social media, don't follow celebrities, so pretty much things tend to be new to me.

Thanks @methodwriter85!

Edited by zoey1996
Because oops when I put Kyle instead of Kevin.

it amazes me that in the 1990's, the actors on Friends were making $1,000,000 per episode and it was a sitcom where they maybe each had 4 minutes of total screen time an episode. in 2018, $250,000 an episode for a major hit drama doesn't seem like too much.

4 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

it amazes me that in the 1990's, the actors on Friends were making $1,000,000 per episode and it was a sitcom where they maybe each had 4 minutes of total screen time an episode. in 2018, $250,000 an episode for a major hit drama doesn't seem like too much.

Network TV got much higher ratings in the 1990s than now and the ad rates corresponded with that. I watched soap operas and the the top stars in the industry indicated indicated that their salaries went down as the fortunes of daytime TV declined. It might also be a sitcom vs drama thing, since sitcoms have traditionally been easier to syndicate. They're streaming, but I don't know if TIU is generating the same sort of money per week that ER did back in the George Clooney days.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

The top sitcom stars still make more money than drama stars - the main actors on Big Bang Theory are also making $1,000,000/episode. I think it's because there are fewer characters, the sets are cheaper, and maybe the ad revenue is higher? BBT, like Friends in its day, has a ton of viewers.

The promo photo (main cast in the woods) on hulu seems like an SNL parody shot. Rebecca appears to be stoned, Jack looks smarmy, Kevin is listening to the tree, Toby is sniffing Kate, and Kate just looks frumpy/mean. Is it supposed to be a nod to staged family photos gone awry?

(Tried to include pic here but file too big)

3 hours ago, QQQQ said:

The promo photo (main cast in the woods) on hulu seems like an SNL parody shot.

I'll have to look that up. When I first read your message, I thought you were saying there was going to be an SNL parody sketch of This Is Us. Has there been one of those yet? 

Those are some of my favorite SNL sketches. The 'Homeland' parody was one of the funniest SNL sketches I've ever seen, and I still watch it from time to time

On 10/11/2018 at 9:33 AM, topanga said:

I'll have to look that up. When I first read your message, I thought you were saying there was going to be an SNL parody sketch of This Is Us. Has there been one of those yet? 

Not really. There was a sketch that featured politicians (one played by Sterling K. Brown) in the style of This Is Us, but not an actual parody. SNL tends to soft-pedal their parodies anyway, especially for NBC shows and Universal movies.

If Peak Mad T.V. was around, they would have ripped brilliantly in this show, but alas that is gone. (They did try an reboot on the CW awhile back that went pretty quickly.)

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Not really. There was a sketch that featured politicians (one played by Sterling K. Brown) in the style of This Is Us, but not an actual parody. SNL tends to soft-pedal their parodies anyway, especially for NBC shows and Universal movies.

If Peak Mad T.V. was around, they would have ripped brilliantly in this show, but alas that is gone. (They did try an reboot on the CW awhile back that went pretty quickly.)

There was a pretty funny parody on the Tonight Show:

• Love 1