Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Us In The Media

Artsda
  • Start Topic

"It'll be good to put it to bed because our fans are so awesome and pick up on every little hint," This Is Us executive producer Isaac Aptaker tells EW. "As soon as we saw that people were misinterpreting, of course it drove us crazy. So let the record officially show: That was [meant to be] a pregnancy test box."

"This one, unfortunately, was just a casualty of how absolutely impossible it has been to make television this year," he continues. "Despite the dozens of people who stared at that scene countless times before it went to air, we were all just so fried from all of the COVID [filming conditions] that we missed that one." Adds This is Us executive producer Elizabeth Berger: "You can chalk this up to Zoom editing. Usually we're all in a bay together looking at these giant monitors. And this is the one where we were like, 'Ah, if we had just been there, someone would have seen it!' But everyone is just working so hard around the clock under these crazy circumstances. And every once in a while, you're going to have an ovulation test when you wish you had a pregnancy test box."

I guess I should be glad that they are taking the blame for it instead of blaming some poor PA who got sent to CVS, but it's not so much an editing mistake due to small screens as it is the fact that someone bought or created an ovulation test instead of a pregnancy test and not a single person in production from the actors to the directors noticed.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I guess I should be glad that they are taking the blame for it instead of blaming some poor PA who got sent to CVS, but it's not so much an editing mistake due to small screens as it is the fact that someone bought or created an ovulation test instead of a pregnancy test and not a single person in production from the actors to the directors noticed.

This story ended too abruptly. It was built up to be so much more than what it was. I think that for whatever reason, the ovulation test was supposed to be there and it was changed at the last minute. 

• Love 1

I’m watching Justin on a home renovation show on HGTV where the featured celebrity honors someone in their life with a huge home renovation.....I’m talking big.  It’s for his long time best friend.  Complete backyard redo, pool, outdoor kitchen, puting green, etc.  Justin is all in doing lots of heavy lifting and making all the design decisions.  

13 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m watching Justin on a home renovation show on HGTV where the featured celebrity honors someone in their life with a huge home renovation.....I’m talking big.  It’s for his long time best friend.  Complete backyard redo, pool, outdoor kitchen, puting green, etc.  Justin is all in doing lots of heavy lifting and making all the design decisions.  

There's some discussion about it in this thread.

19 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Thank you! I wasn't sure where to go with it. 

In general, media is specifically related to the show while the cast in real life/other roles type threads are usually for things they do outside the show. It can be confusing because some show forums only have a media thread so everything goes in there. Hope that helps!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Just a head's up: the show has a rerun airing next week, so it looks like the show is going into an unexpected hiatus. No word on if it's just a two week break, a three week break, or potentially longer.

Doesn't surprise me. Hollywoods been shut down since before Christmas, and I think this show was barely caught up before then. They were supposed to go back into production two weeks ago and it takes almost 2 weeks to film and edit one episode. 

On 1/15/2021 at 8:23 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Just a head's up: the show has a rerun airing next week, so it looks like the show is going into an unexpected hiatus. No word on if it's just a two week break, a three week break, or potentially longer.

I'm guessing it's due to the fact that we are getting five days/nights of Inauguration events with speakers, performances, etc. all of which will be broadcast on the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS plus CNN) as well as online (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Twitch).

18 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

So I checked the Comcast guide and this and next week show reruns.  This weeks shows part 1 of the season premier and next week shows part 2.

Ugh.  No thanks.  Watching once was enough.

• Love 2

Stars in the House did a Thirtysomething reunion this week.  Ken Olin brought some This Is Us swag to contribute to the fundraiser. It included a water bottle given to the cast and crew, and said "Love the Pearson's, the Damon's".  

It made my heart hurt.  

8 hours ago, Quof said:

Stars in the House did a Thirtysomething reunion this week.  Ken Olin brought some This Is Us swag to contribute to the fundraiser. It included a water bottle given to the cast and crew, and said "Love the Pearson's, the Damon's".  

It made my heart hurt.  

It makes my head hurt to see an apostrophe used in a plural word.

Edited by MBayGal
  • LOL 9
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Quof said:

It made my heart hurt.  

Maybe it's short for love the Pearson's grandstanding or the Damon's bickering.  Still not grammatically correct.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, MBayGal said:

I hope that message wasn't written by the same people who write for the show. Though that would explain a lot of things.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 3/22/2021 at 10:19 AM, MBayGal said:

Ha, that last name + apostrophe + s is the bane of my existence. Whenever I see it, I always want to ask things like "The singular Pearson's WHAT? Jack's awful mustache?" Ugh.

• Love 3

Per EW, the season has been shortened by 2 episodes to 16 for pandemic reasons. It will return May 11 and its season finale will be on May 25 https://ew.com/tv/this-is-us-season-5-two-episodes-shorter/

• Useful 4
20 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Per EW, the season has been shortened by 2 episodes to 16 for pandemic reasons. It will return May 11 and its season finale will be on May 25 https://ew.com/tv/this-is-us-season-5-two-episodes-shorter/

So it wont be on the Tuesdays of April 20th, April 27th,  May 4th, or May 18th for pandemic reasons?  I guess we're going to have a pandemic reprieve on  May 11 and 25.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

So it wont be on the Tuesdays of April 20th, April 27th,  May 4th, or May 18th for pandemic reasons?  I guess we're going to have a pandemic reprieve on  May 11 and 25.  

Given there are 3 episodes left, I assume there will be an episode on the 18th. I guess part of the problem is that since there are only 3 episodes left, I assume NBC wants to show them all in May with no breaks (also, the finale will be an hour later because it will be following The Voice)

• Useful 1
29 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

I wonder what got cut. If the episodes were about strangers tangentially related to the Pearsons who we’ll never see again, then I don’t mind at all!

I hope they didn't cut the Nicky and Sally reunion if one was planned. It's been a heavily Randall-skewed season so far, so I wouldn't mind if the remaining three episodes spent less time him and his family. I don't need to see any more adoption support group scenes, Tess's pre-teen angst, or Mama C's smug missives.

• Love 4
On 4/16/2021 at 5:55 PM, Jeddah said:

I wonder what got cut. If the episodes were about strangers tangentially related to the Pearsons who we’ll never see again, then I don’t mind at all!

I hope we get some Toby content. I'd like an episode about the Pearson Spouses. Toby/Miguel/Madison/Beth. They could break the episode into four vignettes, have a different style for an episode.

Or an episode of Annie/Tess/Deja living their regular lives, with Randall and Beth as background characters.

or Rebecca Through The Alzheimer's Glass, where we see things from an episode through her perspective - it gives the writers opportunities to show fantasy scenarios, such as present day Rebecca and Jack, or "What If Kyle Lived?" or to just show random family moments they thought of, but couldn't come up with enough to have it be the theme of an episode.

Isn't 6 going to be the final season? Or am I just assuming that since it was renewed for 3 seasons after season 3 was ordered.

• Love 3
On 4/18/2021 at 10:44 PM, bros402 said:

On 4/18/2021 at 10:44 PM, bros402 said:

I hope we get some Toby content. I'd like an episode about the Pearson Spouses. Toby/Miguel/Madison/Beth. They could break the episode into four vignettes, have a different style for an episode.

Or an episode of Annie/Tess/Deja living their regular lives, with Randall and Beth as background characters.

or Rebecca Through The Alzheimer's Glass, where we see things from an episode through her perspective - it gives the writers opportunities to show fantasy scenarios, such as present day Rebecca and Jack, or "What If Kyle Lived?" or to just show random family moments they thought of, but couldn't come up with enough to have it be the theme of an episode.

Isn't 6 going to be the final season? Or am I just assuming that since it was renewed for 3 seasons after season 3 was ordered.

Season 6 is the final season. Whether they tack on 2 more episodes in season 6 (to make up the 2 missing in season 5) is yet to be determined. 

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, Aloeonatable said:

Season 6 is the final season. Whether they tack on 2 more episodes in season 6 (to make up the 2 missing in season 5) is yet to be determined. 

I imagine they'll tack on two extra, provided COVID cases go down. 

• Useful 1
28 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

https://deadline.com/2021/05/this-is-us-end-season-6-final-season-canceled-nbc-1234754850/

The formal for realsies notice that is ending next season (by reporting standards anyway, NBC will confirm on Friday.) 

I know it's industry lingo, but the cancelled in the URL does not make much sense.  The show was conceived as a 6 season show and has been written that way.  I for one am pleased that it is ending on schedule.  Adding extra seasons would have diminished the impact of the story.  

• Love 4
(edited)

Yeah, they still seem to use the word cancelled (a true buzzword these days, but for different reasons), when 'ending' would be more appropriate for a show that has voluntarily decided to wrap up. TIU has been saying from the start it would be six seasons, and I, too, hope they stick with it. No sequels, prequels or reboots, either. Let it be a good story, with a beginning, middle and end. Please!

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Yeah, they still seem to use the word cancelled (a true buzzword these days, but for different reasons), when 'ending' would be more appropriate for a show that has voluntarily decided to wrap up. TIU has been saying from the start it would be six seasons, and I, too, hope they stick with it. No sequels, prequels or reboots, either. Let it be a good story, with a beginning, middle and end. Please!

Agreed, this approach is much better than running a used-to-be-good-thing slowly into the ground (*cough* Grey's Anatomy *cough*).

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

More news about this show that I am pleased about.  I know this year has been a cluster due to covid, but I never liked NBCs release schedule for this show.  Just release the show and forget about ratings.  I get breaking around Christmas and New Years, but I hate it when networks fiddle with releasing a show based on outdated notions.  It's 2021, no need to air a rerun because Fox is showing the World Series in October then return just in time for November Sweeps.  

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/12/2021 at 6:49 PM, chocolatine said:

Agreed, this approach is much better than running a used-to-be-good-thing slowly into the ground (*cough* Grey's Anatomy *cough*).

It seems like it's ending a bit early, but yeah, no one needs another Grey's situation. Seriously, I just hate watch that one at this point and spent every week hoping Meredith would die of Covid. Six seasons is a strong run and will probably keep me from completely hating Randall. 

Edited by Fostersmom
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Obviously, spoilers about the season finale abound in this interview with Dan Fogelman, so don't open it if you haven't watched yet.
‘This Is Us’ Creator Explains the Season 5 Finale Wedding Shocker

Spoiler

Here, Fogelman answers the biggest burning questions about the finale episode and the upcoming final season, including when they decided Phillip and Kate should get together, how Kevin and Madison will handle co-parenting post-breakup and what will happen regarding Rebecca’s (Mandy Moore) deteriorating health.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Milo Ventimiglia will be waving the green flag to start the Indy 500 tomorrow.

Fun! I loved him in The Art of Racing In The Rain. I didn't know he was a racing fan IRL. 

• Love 3

I saw Milo interviewed on local Indy TV, and he said he got to wave the green flag because he is a friend of Conor Daly, one of the drivers(and whose Step-dad is the Head of IMS).  Milo was very excited to be at the race, said he watched it every year with his Dad

• Love 2

Hollywood Critics Association has announced their inaugural awards nominations. They seperate streaming from broadcast networks which I like, because they are very different playing fields,  IMO. Both Mandy and Sterling received noms for lead actor, but surprisingly,  Hannah Zeile was nominated for supporting actress. I like it!