Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Us In The Media

Artsda
  • Start Topic

On 9/24/2017 at 2:47 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Over the course of the show, he basically turned it into the Olin Nepotism Family Hour. I'm crossing my fingers Olin family members won't start popping up on this show.

Although I will say, the idea of him playing against Mandy Moore as a love interest, while they're both playing the same relative age, would be pretty hysterical.

Anyway...

Oh look, someone realized that Teen Kevin's blue eyes were a bad bit of continuity and they gave him brown contacts so that he matches the child and adult versions of Kevin. Was it really that hard, guys? The funny thing is that I think Logan Shroyer actually looks better with the fake brown color- I guess I always did like hair/eye contrast.

A little off topic, but I like how both Little Randall and Teen Randall call the adults "Mr. First Name" (well, for Milo and Sterling, anyway). 

• Love 6

I wasn't sure of where to put this...here or in the unpopular opinions thread. Ended up here. So.....does anyone know if other shows have casts and writers that are seemingly non-stop patting themselves on the back and congratulating eachother on every.single.thing.?? I mean, they are the most beautiful humans in the world, the most insightful, brilliant, astounding, profound, changing the world one day at a time each and every day.

?

• Love 7
21 hours ago, HeyThere83 said:

I wasn't sure of where to put this...here or in the unpopular opinions thread. Ended up here. So.....does anyone know if other shows have casts and writers that are seemingly non-stop patting themselves on the back and congratulating eachother on every.single.thing.?? I mean, they are the most beautiful humans in the world, the most insightful, brilliant, astounding, profound, changing the world one day at a time each and every day.

This bothers me too. Half the time it comes across as disingenuous to me, and I'm internally shouting, "Take it down a notchwe get it, you're 'good' people on an 'amazingly written, this is truly revolutionary writing' television show."  Yes, you're getting ridiculously high, consistent ratings but maybe don't continuously attribute that to how amazing you all are (the writing especially). This is harsh of me to say but when there's a void for a particular type of content people might not necessarily be asking or thinking that that content is of a high quality. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder and it might not be coming across that way to everyone else but injecting a little humility into the fold wouldn't hurt them at all.

It really bugged me when Dan Fogelman, in particular, was making all those cracks about how Handmaid's Tale was continuously beating them out for awards. He was kidding, but I believe there was a sense of truth to his jests. It just made me go, really? REALLY? They're not even remotely comparable in terms of quality and are two completely different types of shows. Just. Bring it back down to earth dude, don't inflate.

Edited by dju
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, soccermom17 said:

Yes Chris Sullivan....he seems like a nice, fun guy. Love his hats!

A viewer asked if we would see Toby and Kate in any love scenes this season.  He said, that due to his fat suit, it wouldn't be practical. 

Good.  I have a feeling Metz wouldn't be too cracked up about doing it, either.  America might be ready to celebrate obesity in designer-made full body-covering but not in semi-nudity yet, I don't think.

6 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Good.  I have a feeling Metz wouldn't be too cracked up about doing it, either.  America might be ready to celebrate obesity in designer-made full body-covering but not in semi-nudity yet, I don't think.

There was some female character who was obese and participated in a nude love scene a few years ago.....I can't recall who is was?  Anyone recall? I know it'll come to me. .....I can remember the scene.  The man and woman are by a swimming pool.  They hook up and then go to the hotel room.  The scene occurs there.  Anyone know what I'm talking about.  I'm not sure if it was tv or a movie. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

There was some female character who was obese and participated in a nude love scene a few years ago.....I can't recall who is was?  Anyone recall? I know it'll come to me. 

Was it Gabourey Sidibe in Empire?  I didn't see it but it looks pretty tame, from this clip.  

Oh cool.  I don't know if CBS viewers as a whole are as progressive as HBOs', and it sounds like the actress got some shaming there.

7 hours ago, Artsda said:

Justin got married yesterday with the entire cast present.

http://people.com/tv/justin-hartley-and-chrishell-stause-are-married/

Oh wow that’s nice. I remember when he married Lindsay (Korman) Hartley his co-star on Passions. They keep their daughter out of the spotlight which is good. 

Beautiful bride and beautiful wedding. 

Edited by Scarlett45
Lindsay still goes by the name Hartley.
7 hours ago, HeyThere83 said:

Why does it feel like appearing in People magazine was a top priority for them?

Is this standard procedure for weddings these days?

It does feel like it's an honor lately.  People must pay a ton for a few wedding shots.  I'm guessing it probably covers the whole cost of the wedding.  They get coverage of some of the biggest weddings... Brangelina, Clooney...

People loves this cast.  They're in it weekly.  Mandy Moore is this week's cover.  

16 hours ago, GSMHvisitor said:

They sure seem to enjoy being in the spotlight. But to each their own I guess.

They really do. The wedding seemed less about the actual marriage and more like yet another moment to capitalize on publicity for TIU and Bad Moms Christmas. And for CS to have a spread in People Magazine.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 6:09 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Oh wow that’s nice. I remember when he married Lindsay (Korman) Hartley his co-star on Passions. They keep their daughter out of the spotlight which is good. 

Beautiful bride and beautiful wedding. 

Speaking of which...it's quite annoying to always read the inaccurate accounts about how they met. His ex-wife worked on All My Children with his new wife years ago, when they were still married. They sat next to eachother at the Daytime Emmys in 2011 for cryin out loud....

This is why I hate knowing anything about actors' real life. I have been a fan of Chrishell Stause since she was Amanda on AMC. She is a good actress and beautiful. I had forgotten she was dating him. I know nothing about her character although I remember her comment about her ex-fiance, but him... there is nothing good in the behind scene chatter about him from his time on Passions to Smallville.  If she is expecting monogamy from him, good luck with that.

Edited by SimoneS
13 hours ago, SimoneS said:

This is why I hate knowing anything about actors' real life. I have been a fan of Chrishell Stause since she was Amanda on AMC. She is a good actress and beautiful. I had forgotten she was dating him. I know nothing about her character although I remember her comment about her ex-fiance, but him... there is nothing good in the behind scene chatter about him from his time on Passions to Smallville.  If she is expecting monogamy from him, good luck with that.

Oh my....maybe, it's just rumor. I haven't seen much about him.  

39 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh my....maybe, it's just rumor. I haven't seen much about him.  

Agreed. I think all that stuff should be taken with a grain of salt. At the end of the day, what do we really know about those people? I googled the above mentioned quote about Matthew Morrison thinking monogamy is a tree (because I found it a hilarious thing to say for some reason) and what I found is that both Matthew Morrison and Chrishell herself denied she ever said that.

With his looks and body Justin could very well be your typical Hollyweird womanizer, but maybe he's not just a shallow pretty guy. I don't know what happened in his previous marriage, maybe he cheated, maybe his wife did, maybe the marriage fell apart for other reasons. There's just no way to know, so I'm not gonna judge him.

I do think both Justin and Chrishell bask in the media attention to the point where I find it a bit questionable, but it's their right to do that, so whatever.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GSMHvisitor said:

I do think both Justin and Chrishell bask in the media attention to the point where I find it a bit questionable, but it's their right to do that, so whatever.

I'm curious what this means.  People mag. said their ceremony was small and intimate.  Justin does a ton of press for TIU but he has to.  I've been reading People weekly cover to cover for years and have never heard of Chrishell or of Justin's prior marriage, or really anything about him outside of mentions of the show itself.  So to me they seem a little private?

2 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I'm curious what this means.  People mag. said their ceremony was small and intimate.  Justin does a ton of press for TIU but he has to.  I've been reading People weekly cover to cover for years and have never heard of Chrishell or of Justin's prior marriage, or really anything about him outside of mentions of the show itself.  So to me they seem a little private?

He’s also in the Bad Moms Christmas movie that literally just came out today so now I’ve seen him on a lot of shows but for that and of course they ask about the wedding because that Just happenrd. I don’t see him being overly media attention wise either.  But that’s just me.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

He’s also in the Bad Moms Christmas movie that literally just came out today so now I’ve seen him on a lot of shows but for that and of course they ask about the wedding because that Just happenrd. I don’t see him being overly media attention wise either.  But that’s just me.

That's good to hear. I'm not from the U.S. so I don't know who or what gets covered in People magazine and how often. I also didn't exactly follow Justin's career let alone his private life before. I knew him from Revenge and I liked him there, but this is the first show where I really noticed him and got invested in his character.

The reason I thought they might seek media attention (beside the big People story) is because I noticed both liked and retweeted so many articles that were written or mentioned their wedding. That made me give them a slight side-eye, but it's also not something I'm gonna overrate.

9 hours ago, GSMHvisitor said:

I googled the above mentioned quote about Matthew Morrison thinking monogamy is a tree (because I found it a hilarious thing to say for some reason)

She probably said it because "monogamy" is graphemically similar to "mahogany."

• Love 1

Look who caught the garter. lol Love this cast.

Sterling and his wife got down on the dance — it was great!” a guest says. “They had so much fun!”

One especially hilarious moment came when Brown caught the garter — and playfully wore it as a head band while he danced into the night.

justin-hartley-3.jpg?w=2000

hartley.jpg?w=2000

• Love 1
On 11/1/2017 at 0:45 PM, GSMHvisitor said:

On 11/1/2017 at 3:00 PM, Winston9-DT3 said:

Since This Is Us is still an "It" show right now, their wedding was going to get coverage, whether they liked it or not. By giving an exclusive to People, they at least get some say in how it is covered, so I say more power to them. 

• Love 7

Soooo...I've been re-bingeing Season 1 on the NBC app, and caught the "This is Us: Generations" (also posted here, I see).

Safe to say you could do one of those word-jumble things of entertainment-related posts I've written the past few years, and you wouldn't find the notReallyaWord "fangurl"; no, not once.

But if I ever ran into those six kids, I would be squealing like, yes: a fangurl!

I know this to be true because you shoulda heard me while I was watching it.

Aaaaaaiiiiiieeeeeee!!!!  The cuteness!!

Edited by voiceover

I read the People mag. coverage of Hartley's wedding.  It looked nice, and low key.  I didn't realize he had a teen daughter.  

On 11/6/2017 at 8:55 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

I read the People mag. coverage of Hartley's wedding.  It looked nice, and low key.  I didn't realize he had a teen daughter.  

I was a Passions fan from back in the day who intermittently followed Justin's work over the years, so I knew him and Lindsay were married and had a daughter.

On 11/6/2017 at 3:33 AM, biakbiak said:

Milo and Mandy played their characters in a scene about the US Postal Service Inspectors on Last Week with John Oliver.

You have no idea how much I want an out and out This Is Us parody, with the brutal accuracy of French and Saunder's piss-take on Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman. This is show is begging for one, but SNL probably isn't allowed to touch it. When they do cover NBC shows/movies, they tackle them with kid gloves. I was super-disappointed that NBC's Red Nose Days didn't shred This Is Us when they had the whole cast there.

• Love 1

And just when we had that nice loving scene with guest appearance by Sylvester Stallone......man, this thing is really going far and deep.  There are at least one allegation naming a celeb or politician a day.

This one is pretty troubling and involves a woman who was 16 years old at the time.  

https://pagesix.com/2017/11/16/stallone-accused-of-forcing-16-year-old-into-threesome/

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/10/this-is-us-recap-sylvester-stallone-season-2-episode-3-deja-vu

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

I guess it will be an ongoing problem, bringing celebrities as guest stars.  I just hope not to hear anything about Ron Howard . . .But nothing will surprise me because this treatment of women (and less often men) is rampant across all professions. 

• Love 2

Justin Hartley was a presenter at the AMA's tonight.  I thought he seemed to be a bit nervous.  He gave the award to Keith Urban for Best Country Singer and then Keith got 2 more awards and Justin walked into the audience and gave the 2 trophies to Nicole Kidman.  Then, he & his new wife, Chrishell, got lots of looks on-air when they panned out to the audience.  Chrissie Metz got to present too with Jesse Tyler Ferguson.