Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Us In The Media

Artsda
  • Start Topic

26 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

Trite has to do with the writing, not acting.

I understand that, but there's a limit to how good a performance can be when the writing is so bad. Like that speech Rebecca gave to her children about not making their lives smaller because of her illness. It doesn't matter how well Mandy acted through it, it was still cringeworthy.

I'm not saying that Mandy (or anyone) should be like Katherine Heigl and publicly call out the bad writing on their own show, but I also don't think she should get her hopes up for an Emmy.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Especially in the best actress category, there are so many original, non-cliched performances this year - Amanda Seyfried in The Dropout, Anne Hathaway in WeCrashed, Youn Yuh-Jung in Pachinko are the ones that immediately come to mind - that I don't think Mandy has a chance.

But won’t they be in the limited miniseries or movie category?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, chocolatine said:

9 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Trite has to do with the writing, not acting.

I understand that, but there's a limit to how good a performance can be when the writing is so bad. Like that speech Rebecca gave to her children about not making their lives smaller because of her illness. It doesn't matter how well Mandy acted through it, it was still cringeworthy.

I’ll agree to disagree because I thought that speech was really well written. In fact, I think that episode is my favorite one of the season so far.

• Love 2

SPOILERS if you have not yet watched the S6 episode, "Miguel."

Very good interview with Jon Huertas from Variety.

‘This Is Us’ Star Jon Huertas on Miguel’s Backstory and How That Shocking Ending Affects Series Finale

The full piece is worth your time, but I particularly liked this part, where Jon somewhat naturally, fell into a semblance of "method" acting, just because of the nature of the scenes he was shooting with Mandy Moore.

I found myself never wanting to leave Mandy’s side while we were in our elder makeup. Even when we were on stage and we weren’t filming in the scene, I would wonder where Mandy was and I wanted to be next to her, I wanted to be close to her. I was feeling that way, I wanted to make sure she knew I was close by. I fell into that almost by accident. I noticed I was doing it in the moment, I didn’t show up to work and say, “I’m not going to leave Mandy’s side because this is what Miguel would do.” It just happened.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, One Imaginary Girl said:

There are a lot of This Is Us-related tweets on Twitter nowadays from the official show account but also from the cast.  I really like the ones from the young actors interacting with the older versions of their parts, or vice versa.

I saw one with young Kate alongside teenage Kate and she's now a good few inches taller than her 'older' version.

• Love 4

Watched all of This Is Us, and will watch the final season of A Million Little Things next year - but that’s the end of network shows for me. Refuse to invest any more time and energy in shows comprised of as much ad content as story content. Ridiculous. Nope.

In the weekly TV insert in the Sunday paper this week, Milo and Mandy are on the cover. In the story inside Miguel is referred to as “family friend” Miguel, not even “family friend and Rebecca’s second husband”!

• Mind Blown 1

Mandy Moore's This Is Us Work Was a Masterclass — A TVLine Appreciation

My feelings about Mandy Moore the actress are extremely similar to how I feel about Rebecca Pearson.  Ditto Jack and Milo.

Jack and Rebecca were wonderful parents who loved their children.  Not perfect parents. Not exceptional parents, and not the best parents to have ever lived.

Milo and Mandy are terrific actors.  They have done their work well, and I've enjoyed it.  However, no I would not describe either one of them as producing a "master class" of acting, nor would I award either of them an Emmy.

I think the "Pearsonesss" phenomenon has been transferred to the actors.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

Mandy Moore's This Is Us Work Was a Masterclass — A TVLine Appreciation

My feelings about Mandy Moore the actress are extremely similar to how I feel about Rebecca Pearson.  Ditto Jack and Milo.

Jack and Rebecca were wonderful parents who loved their children.  Not perfect parents. Not exceptional parents, and not the best parents to have ever lived.

Milo and Mandy are terrific actors.  They have done their work well, and I've enjoyed it.  However, no I would not describe either one of them as producing a "master class" of acting, nor would I award either of them an Emmy.

I think the "Pearsonesss" phenomenon has been transferred to the actors.

I recall Gerald McRaney in his acceptance speech as Emmy winner for guest actor in TIU first season, referred to Milo and Mandy as his colleagues and his masters. Quite the praise. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Ohmo said:

However, no I would not describe either one of them as producing a "master class" of acting, nor would I award either of them an Emmy.

I don't know what TV Line is but those tabloid types like to overdo their headlines because writers are usually bad and appeal to silly commentaries.

I do think that Mandy Moore did an excellent job with Rebecca. I was impressed. I also don't remember seeing her in much of anything so, to me, that's an indication that the part was well played.

As for the Emmy's, since the whole award thing is just a bunch of PR and who has the best circle of influential friends in the industry, I consider it a good sign when actors I like don't even get nominated. In the end, it is 70% politics, 20% deserving, 10% WTF? Besides, I don't think one scene, in one episode, in a whole career says much about the actor's ability or talent. I could name a bunch of nominees and winners that were great in one specific scene, but mediocre in most of everything else. 

• Love 2

The cast and brass of This Is Us are still tweeting like there's no tomorrow.  Well, I guess there is no tomorrow for the show.  Anyhow, maybe I'm being too gullible to PR, but what comes across is that the cast seem to really like each other, which is nice.

• Love 1
(edited)

I wish NBC would stop running ads that "This is Us" is now streaming!  Frankly, you're not going to get new viewers with that ad, especially once people hear from their friends how very underwhelming the final episode was.  And those of us who watched faithfully for six years aren't going to go back and watch the trainwreck of Seasons 3 through 6.

Edited by CdrJanny
13 minutes ago, CdrJanny said:

I wish NBC would stop running ads that "This is Us" is now streaming!  Frankly, you're not going to get new viewers with that ad, especially once people hear from their friends how very underwhelming the final episode was.  And those of us who watched faithfully for six years aren't going to go back and watch the trainwreck of Seasons 3 through 6.

Well, my friends certainly won't be hearing that from me. The show wasn't perfect, but I thought overall it was very good. Also, as someone who watched from day one, I will definitely go back at some point to watch the whole thing again.

• Love 3

I am disappointed that Mandy Morre did not get an Emmy nom.  I am no expert, but I thought Mandy did such an emotional & in-depth portrayal of an older woman with dementia & then close to death.  I was moved by her performance, and thats what I always consider when thinking about someone is worthy of awards.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8