Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Us In The Media

Artsda
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

I know on Mad Men the child actors were given edited scripts to avoid exposure to inappropriate things.  There was a scene where Sally was supposed to walk in on something shocking but it was filmed in a way that didn’t let her see what was happening and she didn’t even know what her character was supposed to be seeing.   This Is Us should have protected Lonnie the same way.

Yes, the same on The Americans. It's really not that difficult. Whoever was directing that scene could have just told Lonnie "react to grandma saying something mean" without telling him what she said exactly.

• Love 4
On 6/18/2020 at 1:09 AM, chocolatine said:

This is egregious, especially for a show that likes to boast at every opportunity how much their entire cast and crew love each other and are like family. They could have filmed that scene in a way that Lonnie wouldn't have to be in the room while Elizabeth Perkins said her lines. I think that's done frequently with child actors to avoid exposing them to adult/violent/traumatic content. I'm furious on Lonnie's behalf.

I can’t say I’m surprised. (Sadly) Black children are often seen as less innocent and in needing of protection, and we are often expected to “just deal” when white adults say racist things to us in REAL LIFE, so I can see how in an acting setting no one thought to protect Lonnie. Or that he would be “fine”. 

I am furious on his behalf but I’m not surprised. 

On 6/19/2020 at 12:36 AM, bros402 said:

Yeah - seriously! You think someone on the set would've been like "should we be subjecting this child actor to this, we don't need to have him in frame, and she's gonna say some offensive lines?"

From what I gather there were no black or POC adults on the set during this time- again, if I look at it from the point of view that no one had malicious intent towards Lonnie, they probably didn’t expect him to be affected or for it to be traumatic. 

IMO this is a perfect example of implicit bias and unintentional racism. They didn’t even think of Lonnie’s feelings, not that they want to hurt him, but they didn’t expect him to be capable of being hurt by such things. 

(edited)
13 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

From what I gather there were no black or POC adults on the set during this time- again, if I look at it from the point of view that no one had malicious intent towards Lonnie, they probably didn’t expect him to be affected or for it to be traumatic. 

IMO this is a perfect example of implicit bias and unintentional racism. They didn’t even think of Lonnie’s feelings, not that they want to hurt him, but they didn’t expect him to be capable of being hurt by such things. 

I mean I am super white (if you look at my family tree, I am a quarter spanish, but my grandfather didn't want his kids being raised with much Spanish culture, since he wanted his family to be accepted) but I know that if something like that is going on, don't expose the kid to it on the off chance it might affect him. It's a character saying racist stuff, don't expose a child to it. It's common sense.

Edited by bros402
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, bros402 said:

I mean I am super white (if you look at my family tree, I am a quarter spanish, but my grandfather didn't want his kids being raised with much Spanish culture, since he wanted his family to be accepted) but I know that if something like that is going on, don't expose the kid to it on the off chance it might affect him. It's a character saying racist stuff, don't expose a child to it. It's common sense.

My grandfather used to tell me “common sense isn’t common”. I didn’t understand that until I was much older, but it’s so true. 

Slightly off topic- Spain is in Europe, Spanish people are Caucasian/white........did you mean you were a quarter Latino?

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

My grandfather used to tell me “common sense isn’t common”. I didn’t understand that until I was much older, but it’s so true. 

Slightly off topic- Spain is in Europe, Spanish people are Caucasian/white........did you mean you were a quarter Latino?

Being of Spanish descent is Hispanic.

• Love 3
On 6/30/2020 at 7:39 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Depends on where in Spain, there is a lot of Spanish people who are not white, due to all the history, wars, divisions. Culturally, maybe, but that's all. I am also from Spanish descent

• Love 2
14 hours ago, alexvillage said:

Depends on where in Spain, there is a lot of Spanish people who are not white, due to all the history, wars, divisions. Culturally, maybe, but that's all. I am also from Spanish descent

My ancestors are from Galicia.

• Love 1

On the one hand I'm happy the show is coming back this year, but on the other, I'm concerned about it going back to filming while California still has the highest COVID-19 infections in the country. It's a large ensemble and I'm sure a large crew, so it seems impossible to keep everyone safe.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, chocolatine said:

On the one hand I'm happy the show is coming back this year, but on the other, I'm concerned about it going back to filming while California still has the highest COVID-19 infections in the country. It's a large ensemble and I'm sure a large crew, so it seems impossible to keep everyone safe.

But capitalists cannot stop making money, right? They will sit up in their towers, safe and protected, while the laborers put themselves in harm's way.

If that's what they will do, I wish the shows would just have everyone wearing masks, for example. This is the new normal, it is likely to last for months, even after the vaccines. There will be new pandemics, they will come more often and stronger. Let's get used to this. Shows are a mirror of real life, so the character should have their masks on. I am concerned about the staff. Many of them are low paid jobs, hard work, locked inside one place for hours, preparing the sets, dealing with lighting and sound, and a bunch of other things I am sure I don't even know about.

In Florida, schools reopened and a lot of people have already been put in quarantine - not to mention their families - while the counties' officials take their meetings online. It is a similar situation with shows. It is risky and as much as I want the show to come back, I would rather lose a whole season to safety.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, alexvillage said:

But capitalists cannot stop making money, right? They will sit up in their towers, safe and protected, while the laborers put themselves in harm's way.

If that's what they will do, I wish the shows would just have everyone wearing masks, for example. This is the new normal, it is likely to last for months, even after the vaccines. There will be new pandemics, they will come more often and stronger. Let's get used to this. Shows are a mirror of real life, so the character should have their masks on. I am concerned about the staff. Many of them are low paid jobs, hard work, locked inside one place for hours, preparing the sets, dealing with lighting and sound, and a bunch of other things I am sure I don't even know about.

In Florida, schools reopened and a lot of people have already been put in quarantine - not to mention their families - while the counties' officials take their meetings online. It is a similar situation with shows. It is risky and as much as I want the show to come back, I would rather lose a whole season to safety.

Did you see that the Florida COVID numbers in schools were "accidentally" publicly posted? 900 cases in two weeks.

And yeah, I am a huge TV fan, but I think they should either have everybody in masks or skip the season.

Or film in a place without high COVID numbers, write all of the episodes beforehand, quarantine everyone for 14 days, then knock out a season's worth of episodes before anyone can leave

• Love 2

I honestly do not think they would go into production unless they have very stringent safeguards in place. Daily testing of cast and crew is a must as well as maintaining some social distancing. Limited crew, only those that are absolutely needed. 

I would expect we won't see crowd scenes or any extras used. It definitely is a challenge for these productions, but still they all have a job to do.

• Love 1

I know that people are bored at home and want new stuff to watch but I don't think any show is worth risking COVID for the cast, crew, or anyone on the production team. But, as has been pointed out, Hollywood is a business and is all about money so of course tv shows and films will resume production sooner rather than later. There's a house on my street that is often rented out for various filming and they had something going on there two weeks ago, which was my first clue that things were gearing back up.

A few days ago, the Producers Guild released safety protocols for working amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

In addition, several ABC shows are currently filming. One of the actresses from The Goldbergs has been posting videos of the various safety precautions being used on set:

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I know that people are bored at home and want new stuff to watch but I don't think any show is worth risking COVID for the cast, crew, or anyone on the production team. But, as has been pointed out, Hollywood is a business and is all about money so of course tv shows and films will resume production sooner rather than later. There's a house on my street that is often rented out for various filming and they had something going on there two weeks ago, which was my first clue that things were gearing back up.

A few days ago, the Producers Guild released safety protocols for working amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

In addition, several ABC shows are currently filming. One of the actresses from The Goldbergs has been posting videos of the various safety precautions being used on set:

I think it would just be better if they waited a few more months to produce stuff, maybe occupy some airspace with failed pilots - you know that they have to have a bunch of those in their vaults. Some of them would probably be a fun watch.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Aloeonatable said:

I honestly do not think they would go into production unless they have very stringent safeguards in place. Daily testing of cast and crew is a must as well as maintaining some social distancing. Limited crew, only those that are absolutely needed. 

I would expect we won't see crowd scenes or any extras used. It definitely is a challenge for these productions, but still they all have a job to do.

I didn't think they would wait, but I was hoping they would. The daily testing would be the ideal, but the "lower ranking" actors and the crew don't have the same type of insurance the "stars" have, and even "stars" need to be big for the concierge-type insurance so no, they will not test people every day. That is reserved for the people in the high towers because you know, we NEED them to tell us when to risk our lives.

To me, the ideal would be a general strike, it is long overdue. The crew, in particular, is more vulnerable. Just don't show up. Many actors have been unemployed for months, no help from the government, they should join. The writers should join in solidarity because mostly likely, they are working from the safety of their homes. We need solidarity in the world right now, and not only in the entertainment industry.

I do miss watching some shows, even if I am not too invested in any particular one. Meanwhile, I am watching ER (still the best show) and watching a lot of nature films on YouTube.

• Love 1
On 8/29/2020 at 6:11 AM, alexvillage said:

I wish the shows would just have everyone wearing masks,

Wouldn't that really only work in the current timeline story?  I actually wouldn't have a problem with shows set in the present having the characters wear masks, but I don't see how it could be explained for period shows like this, Young Sheldon, The Goldbergs, etc.     

• Love 1
On 6/29/2020 at 12:10 PM, Scarlett45 said:

From what I gather there were no black or POC adults on the set during this time

Where the heck were the kid's parents?  Regardless of the storyline, I couldn't imagine any parent not accompanying their 12 year old on set.  

19 hours ago, alexvillage said:

I didn't think they would wait, but I was hoping they would. The daily testing would be the ideal, but the "lower ranking" actors and the crew don't have the same type of insurance the "stars" have, and even "stars" need to be big for the concierge-type insurance so no, they will not test people every day. That is reserved for the people in the high towers because you know, we NEED them to tell us when to risk our lives.

To me, the ideal would be a general strike, it is long overdue. The crew, in particular, is more vulnerable. Just don't show up. Many actors have been unemployed for months, no help from the government, they should join. The writers should join in solidarity because mostly likely, they are working from the safety of their homes. We need solidarity in the world right now, and not only in the entertainment industry.

I do miss watching some shows, even if I am not too invested in any particular one. Meanwhile, I am watching ER (still the best show) and watching a lot of nature films on YouTube.

The network or the production company would pay for the testing.

My uncle worked for an audio visual company (He was one of the few employees not laid off for a bit), and he got sent to a gig for a bank. He had to go there for like 4 days. Every single morning, the bank had someone swab him for COVID and rush the test.

6 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Wouldn't that really only work in the current timeline story?  I actually wouldn't have a problem with shows set in the present having the characters wear masks, but I don't see how it could be explained for period shows like this, Young Sheldon, The Goldbergs, etc.     

Writers are supposed to be creative. In any case, today's reality can become a very long term reality. There is a possibility that masks will be the new norm, so even if the situation is a current event, characters wearing masks didn't have to be something to be highlighted. It would be part of everyday life, just like it is now. I don't really see a problem with that. Many shows have changed actors for the same characters, in the middle of production, for different reasons. I think it would actually help making safety a mainstream feature of our prone-to-denial society, especially our western culture.

4 hours ago, bros402 said:

The network or the production company would pay for the testing.

I would not hold my breath that the multibillionaires that run the entertainment business would care about the "little guy" who run errands for the big producers, or the cleaning crew that sweeps the floor the "stars" walk in. Besides, a lot of the workers are not the network's employees. They work for contractors, and those contractors usually make a lot of money by hiring people for vey low wages and no benefits. In a time where unemployment is leading us to a depression, it is easy to hire people so they don't care if you don't show up. They know others will. That's how everyone wash their hands off any responsibility.

But some workers are unionized. Their unions should do their job of protecting them, at least demand whatever is necessary to keep them safe. I still think we need a big, huge general strike. We need solidarity if we really care like we like to say we do. The big actors should take the lead, imo

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Where the heck were the kid's parents?  Regardless of the storyline, I couldn't imagine any parent not accompanying their 12 year old on set.  

Not all parents accompany their kids on set every day. I certainly get why you would think that they would (and I see a lot of now adult actors who’s parents did go to set turned out the best); but it’s not a requirement and the parents may have had to work, care for other kids, other relatives etc. getting dropped off and picked up from school/set during filming isn’t odd for a kid that age. 

• Love 1
On 9/4/2020 at 12:10 AM, Bulldog said:

Have them wear clear masks 😛

On 9/4/2020 at 7:10 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Not all parents accompany their kids on set every day. I certainly get why you would think that they would (and I see a lot of now adult actors who’s parents did go to set turned out the best); but it’s not a requirement and the parents may have had to work, care for other kids, other relatives etc. getting dropped off and picked up from school/set during filming isn’t odd for a kid that age. 

Exactly.  I think there's a law in California that minors have to be accompanied by an adult, but the adult isn't always a parent.  

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Exactly.  I think there's a law in California that minors have to be accompanied by an adult, but the adult isn't always a parent.  

Yeah. They have teachers and “minders” on sets for kids. Now they have therapists and stuff to deal with emotional problems. I don’t doubt there were adults on set who’s responsibility it was to care for the tween set of actors playing the Big 3, but I can believe they were all white and didn’t think of Lonnie’s feelings at all. 

53 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yeah. They have teachers and “minders” on sets for kids. Now they have therapists and stuff to deal with emotional problems. I don’t doubt there were adults on set who’s responsibility it was to care for the tween set of actors playing the Big 3, but I can believe they were all white and didn’t think of Lonnie’s feelings at all. 

Or non-Black.  I'm not sure if, say, a Latinx or Asian adult would specifically think about it from a Black person's perspective.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Forgot to copy the link, but Mandy is pregnant with her 1st child! I wonder how they're gonna shoot a round that? Lots of flashbacks to Rebecca being pregnant?

I hope someone leaks a set photo of Mandy in "old Rebecca" makeup sporting a huge baby bump.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Forgot to copy the link, but Mandy is pregnant with her 1st child! I wonder how they're gonna shoot a round that? Lots of flashbacks to Rebecca being pregnant?

Maybe. I think they will probably shoot from the waist up for most of the current era scenes, as well as have her wear very baggy clothing. She said the baby is due early in 2021, so she has to be at least 4 months along right now. 

Well they're actively shooting now, if she's due early next year they're gonna have to definitely work around it and probably work in some maternity leave for her. 

I do think it's cool though that because they flashback and forward, that they could just focus on when Rebecca was pregnant with the big 3 and not worry about hiding anything.

19 hours ago, Aloeonatable said:

Maybe. I think they will probably shoot from the waist up for most of the current era scenes, as well as have her wear very baggy clothing. She said the baby is due early in 2021, so she has to be at least 4 months along right now. 

Unless it wasn't expected, I'm sure they will do fine. It's gotten a little better than hiding people around potted plants like in the 70's    : )

With so many characters, they can concentrate less on her but I hope it's not sending her away because of the pregnancy. I forgot a lot of my angst last year but really didn't like that story line. With covid and talking about it, she also might have more phone calls or scenes where they can't be with her because of it.  Sitting at a desk or table, on your side in bed, camera magic, does wonders today.

Woo-hoo! Oct. 27

https://ew.com/tv/this-is-us-chrissy-metz-kate-revelation-season-5/

“In teasing the upcoming action, Metz shares another moment in her conversation with Fogelman: "I was like 'Me?' I literally was like, 'Wait. Kate?' And he's like, 'Yeah,' and I'm like, 'I did not see that coming. Wow. Okay. Cool. Cool.' I was pretty much shocked. And I do think that it's really important with TV, film, art in any capacity to not necessarily educate us, but enlighten us to someone else's issues or previous experiences and how that can shape and change our minds and our thoughts about them or what we might be going through."”

I wish they had shown some of Randall's comments to Kevin.  Seems a little unfair to paint it as if Kevin was the only bad guy here.  Or they could have shown Kevin holding Randall during his panic attack.  I guess Rebecca could have been sent home from the experimental study because of Covid, but of course when they filmed that flash-forward they wouldn't have known she would need a mask.  Excited to see how it all plays out.

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I wish they had shown some of Randall's comments to Kevin.  Seems a little unfair to paint it as if Kevin was the only bad guy here.  Or they could have shown Kevin holding Randall during his panic attack.  I guess Rebecca could have been sent home from the experimental study because of Covid, but of course when they filmed that flash-forward they wouldn't have known she would need a mask.  Excited to see how it all plays out.

I said it at the time and I'll say it again. They both said hateful things, but Randall was worse.  

• Love 7