Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Us In The Media

Artsda
  • Start Topic

(edited)

This is Us, nominated for best drama, Sterling for best actor, and Chris Sullivan (!!) for supporting actor. I love Toby, so that is cool. Sterling is certainly deserving, but I wish they'd recognize Justin, too.

I wonder if they are regretting Phylicia Rashad's (guest actress in a drama) nomination yet.

Edited by gonzosgirrl

The season received 6 Primetime Emmy nominations https://deadline.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/2021-Emmy-Nominations-List.pdf

Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup

Outstanding Music Composition for a Series

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series (Sterling K. Brown)

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series (Chris Sullivan)

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series (Phylicia Rashad)

Outstanding Drama Series

I think it's the only Broadcast drama with Emmy nominations this year (as usual)

• Love 1

I don't know where to ask this question, so I hope I don't get in trouble for asking it here.

Does anybody know when/if this show is returning? I can't remember much of anything about it, but will probably finish it since I've come this far.

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

I don't know where to ask this question, so I hope I don't get in trouble for asking it here.

Does anybody know when/if this show is returning? I can't remember much of anything about it, but will probably finish it since I've come this far.

Thanks!

There's supposed to be one last season, starting in January 2022. Of course, some shows get renewed even after they're supposed to be finished, but I hope that doesn't happen here because I'm ready for this show to end.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I believe the show runners are ending it, not the network. So it should really be the last season.

Didn't NBC persuade the showrunners of Parenthood to do one more season than they had originally planned? I'm worried the same thing is going to happen with TIU.

4 hours ago, chocolatine said:

There's supposed to be one last season, starting in January 2022. Of course, some shows get renewed even after they're supposed to be finished, but I hope that doesn't happen here because I'm ready for this show to end.

Showrunner already said he wrote the final episode and it made him cry a bunch while writing it

On 8/21/2021 at 12:37 AM, chocolatine said:

What doesn't make those people cry?

according to him, the only other episode to make him cry while writing was the episode where William died.

Edited by bros402
  • Love 1
On 8/20/2021 at 8:34 PM, chitowngirl said:

I believe the show runners are ending it, not the network. So it should really be the last season. And by starting the season in January, it’ll run straight through with no weeks off.

Quoting myself-if they start in January, I’m guessing there will be a break for the Olympics…

15 hours ago, himela said:

I didn't know where to ask this but why hasn't season 6 started yet?

I believe it was production delays due to COVID - last season they were finishing post-production for some episodes the night before airing.

Edited by bros402
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

The Cast of "This is Us" are on all 3 hours of TODAY this morning.  Its a fun interview & they do seem to be friends in real life.  I am glad Jon Huertas was included(Miguel), and Chris(Tobey) is a really funny guy. 

20 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I was looking for the title of the song by Cat Stevens on this last episode when I saw this site. Check out the photo! Where in the hey did it come from?  Talk about disturbing.  No Miguel. Just everyone looking forlorn around Jack. Ugh…….

https://www.tunefind.com/show/this-is-us/season-6/117597

Geez, it is a promo photo from the first season. It has the original main cast. Miguel was introduced in the second season. 

11 hours ago, Aloeonatable said:

Geez, it is a promo photo from the first season. It has the original main cast. Miguel was introduced in the second season. 

So, I wonder why it’s displayed for songs from this last episode. Hmmmm…..

The cast was at Paleyfest this weekend. I wonder if Susan and Chris talked about their outfits beforehand, lol. Once again, kudos to the casting department - Chrissy/Kate's face here looks exactly like teen Kate, so much so I did a double take. Amazing.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

The cast was at Paleyfest this weekend. I wonder if Susan and Chris talked about their outfits beforehand, lol. Once again, kudos to the casting department - Chrissy/Kate's face here looks exactly like teen Kate, so much so I did a double take. Amazing.

Did Mandy dye her hair black? It looks very severe on her.

My wife and I attended the PaleyFest event on Saturday.  They also screened this week's episode for us prior to the Q & A.  No spoilers, but it was weird watching a new episode with 2,000 people and hearing what provoked an audible response in people.  Highlights for the Q&A:

- I know Jack's presence on the show annoys some at this point, but I'd say Milo received the biggest ovation from the crowd during introductions.  Granted, it seemed to be mostly super fans (My wife is one such fan as this was a birthday present for her).

- Dan Fogelman finished writing the finale Friday night.  Sent a text to the cast that it was done.  Confirmed the final scene and other aspects of the finale have been in his head since he wrote the pilot. 

-Fogelman is also solo writing the second to last episode.  Cast has seen that script, and the impression I took was that it starts shooting this week.  Mandy described it as "beautiful and made want to throw up...but in a good way!"

-Mandy didn't talk quite as much as I thought she might, though she did say that it wasn't a lock she was going to play older Rebecca.  Original thought was it would be a different actress, but they put Mandy in the old make up to give it a shot and here we are.  

- Chrissy and Chris spoke about the challenges of shooting the disintegration of Kate and Toby's marriage.  Both also spoke about where they were emotionally and financially when they got the roles.  Chris in particular was very thoughtful and heartfelt.  Moreso than you might think someone in that outfit would be (And trust me, if you think that suit's something to behold in pictures, it was REALLY something sitting fifteen rows away).

-Jon Huertas did say the Miguel episode is coming.  Fogelman added that there was a week where Jon was shooting far more and everyone was shooting far less.  I think they mentioned it's the fourth to last episode.

-Sterling started talking about the bonds of the cast, pointed to Susan, said "This sister here..."  and couldn't continue.   They just clasped hands and Sterling put his other hand on Justin's leg, but had to continue just looking forward to keep composed.  Was a really sweet moment and I do get the genuine impression this cast will remain close like the casts for Six Feet Under and The Office have over the years.

-Two funniest moments:  Chris at one point said a few of the cast snuck into the back of the theater as the episode was playing and Justin deadpanned perfectly "How could you sneak anywhere in that outfit?"  And during audience Q & A, a woman asked Mandy "When Rebecca succumbs to her disease, gets to the pearly gates, and sees Jack on one side and Miguel on the other, which way does she go?  Chris immediately stood up, applauding wildly, yelling out "Greatest question in six years!"  Mandy diplomatically had Milo and Jon stand up and took each by the arm to imply both.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17

That's a great recap @mrc12671 and I thank you for sharing it.  For all its faults, I will miss this show dearly when it's over. I love the Jack or Miguel question. I wonder if Dan is brave foolish enough to actually write something like this into the finale. I hope not, really. If there is any 'after' involved at all, I hope Rebecca just smiles and says 'hi' and we never see who she's speaking to.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

That's a great recap @mrc12671 and I thank you for sharing it.  For all its faults, I will miss this show dearly when it's over. I love the Jack or Miguel question. I wonder if Dan is brave foolish enough to actually write something like this into the finale. I hope not, really. If there is any 'after' involved at all, I hope Rebecca just smiles and says 'hi' and we never see who she's speaking to.

I would also hate to have any kind of afterlife scenes, but didn't Dan already go there when William reunited with his parents after his death? Not to mention the skinny-dip Randall shared with dead Laurel and Kate's wedding dance with dead Jack.

• Useful 1

Relaying what happened at the show and what was said by the cast is fine, but any discussion of how this relates to plots should be taken to the Spoiler and Speculation thread. Thank you.

On 4/4/2022 at 1:36 PM, mrc12671 said:

-Two funniest moments:  Chris at one point said a few of the cast snuck into the back of the theater as the episode was playing and Justin deadpanned perfectly "How could you sneak anywhere in that outfit?"  And during audience Q & A, a woman asked Mandy "When Rebecca succumbs to her disease, gets to the pearly gates, and sees Jack on one side and Miguel on the other, which way does she go?  Chris immediately stood up, applauding wildly, yelling out "Greatest question in six years!"  Mandy diplomatically had Milo and Jon stand up and took each by the arm to imply both.

Is this a spoiler about Miguel? 😥

This Is Us Cast Gushes Over 3-Year-Old Jack Jr. Actor: 'He's Going To Win An Emmy'

Johnny executed quite a bit of dialog as Jack showed Rebecca his shoes and talked about his parents fighting. Twitter went wild over the young actor, and his co-stars were equally enamored when they spoke with Glamour, with Susan Kelechi Watson gushing:

"I stan Johnny. He's going to win an Emmy, that little boy. He's so good. He's the loveliest little boy. You ask him something and he answers, like, ‘Yep.’ He stings my heart every time. He's genuinely so great in that role."

Johnny has albinism, according to a post on the Instagram page that he shares with his mother, Marisol Kincaid. Albinism is a different visual impairment than the one Jack Jr. has, but Marisol said she was excited about the opportunity Johnny has to represent the low vision community:

"Johnny has albinism which comes with low vision and an eye condition called nystagmus. Although his character has a different visual impairment, we are SO thrilled for the representation and inclusion of the blind and low vision community in a television show that does so well at showing all the nuances of life with SUCH a huge reach!"

• Useful 3
  • Love 11

This isn’t quite media but there’s a clip on Sterling & Susan’s IGs of the cast doing the Wobble at the wedding and it is delightful. Sterling and Jon Huertas are playing no games. I’m not sure if they’re in character - Justin is seated, talking on the phone, so my guess is they’re not, which is even better.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Empress1 said:

This isn’t quite media but there’s a clip on Sterling & Susan’s IGs of the cast doing the Wobble at the wedding and it is delightful. Sterling and Jon Huertas are playing no games. I’m not sure if they’re in character - Justin is seated, talking on the phone, so my guess is they’re not, which is even better.

This video, as well as the one of Susan dancing salsa with Jon, looks like so much fun! I wish the Wobble had been included in the wedding episode, to lighten the mood after all the heavy speeches and emotional moments. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Empress1 said:

On Susan's post she says 'don't give us time between scenes' so I'd say it was the actors not the characters. Delightful is right!

• Love 4
7 hours ago, PepSinger said:

What’s so outrageous about wanting Mandy to win an Emmy?

There is nothing really outrageous about campaigning for your coworker to be rewarded for their work.  Campaigning for awards is how it's done with the Emmys, Golden Globes, and Academy Awards.  It is a bit crass, but that is how the game is set up.  In a perfect world, the voting members of each organization would take their voting seriously, watch all the submitted work for all the nominees, and vote accordingly; but, that rarely happens.  They don't have time to watch all the performances and they come in with biases against things like network TV.  

• Love 3

If I were a voting member of the Television Academy, this kind of needy "campaigning" would have the opposite effect on me. I would feel that my intelligence is being insulted, as if I need to be told which performances are good and wouldn't be able to judge for myself.

And I'm sorry, but I think this show has been trite as hell for the past couple of seasons, and I don't think it deserves any awards. Especially in the best actress category, there are so many original, non-cliched performances this year - Amanda Seyfried in The Dropout, Anne Hathaway in WeCrashed, Youn Yuh-Jung in Pachinko are the ones that immediately come to mind - that I don't think Mandy has a chance.

11 hours ago, chocolatine said:

And I'm sorry, but I think this show has been trite as hell for the past couple of seasons, and I don't think it deserves any awards

Trite has to do with the writing, not acting.

• Love 2