Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Us In The Media

Artsda
  • Start Topic

On 5/15/2017 at 8:21 PM, HeyThere83 said:

Same. And more of the telling us to stop focusing so much on Jack's death and how he died. And then it was back to listing all of the reasons why this really is just the greatest show to ever grace a television screen. It is changing the world....one tissue at a time.

I must say that all of the gushing and crying makes me roll my eyes. And annoys me. Just make a good show, dammit and let me decide if it's if it's the greatest show ever. And if I want to cry, I will. (I don't cry, BTW. But still loving the show--so far).

• Love 4
(edited)

Sterling K. Brown and Pamela Adlon on Variety's Actors on Actors series (if you aren't familiar with this series, it's basically half an hour of two actors chatting with each other):

Milo Ventamiglia and Freida Pinto:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Mandy Moore says that the first episode of S2 "will offer a huge piece of the puzzle as to the big question most people want to know which is how Jack passes away." There were a lot of extraneous words in there so I'm not sure if she's saying we will actually find out how Jack dies in the season premiere or if we will just find out something huge about his death in that episode.

I think it means they're trying to not lose them to other projects because it would affect their schedule of filming. 

After they lost Lonnie to Showtime, they probably decided to lock the rest in.

(edited)
On 7/1/2017 at 0:13 PM, Artsda said:

I think it means they're trying to not lose them to other projects because it would affect their schedule of filming. 

After they lost Lonnie to Showtime, they probably decided to lock the rest in.

"Hey, remember back in 1991 when Randall's face completely changed?" *1970's folk rock song plays as we open on people living in a 1991 with completely time-neutral clothing*

They can reasonably use the first set of kids until they look like teenagers.

Edited to add: Oh, okay. It looks like Lonnie isn't leaving but he won't be a regular. We'll see how many excuses they use for Kid Randall not being there.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

Reese Witherspoon (Big Little Lies), Elisabeth Moss (The Handmaid's Tale), Nicole Kidman (Big Little Lies), Jessica Lange (Feud: Bette and Joan), Oprah Winfrey (The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks), and Chrissy Metz (This Is Us) at The Hollywood Reporter's drama actress round table:

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:36 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Mandy Moore just posted a photo of Ken Olin's birthday celebration. He looks scraggly again so I'm thinking he's probably not  going to write himself on the show like he did with Brothers and Sisters. I hope, anyway.

Aw, I think he's still cute. I never watched Brothers and Sisters so don't know why he'd be unwelcome here? I do like the cake. I loved thirtysomething. Far more than I love This is Us.

• Love 2

Did anyone see some of the cast on Hollywood Game show on August 14?   I only saw the first part.  I couldn't help but notice that Chrissy seems to have gained an enormous amount of weight.  I

Spoiler

thought her storyline was to lose weight.  

Spoiler

I'm confused.  I really felt for her.  I hope she's okay.  I can't imagine what she's going through.  

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7054826/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Did anyone see some of the cast on Hollywood Game show on August 14?   I only saw the first part.  I couldn't help but notice that Chrissy seems to have gained an enormous amount of weight.  I thought her storyline was to lose weight.  I'm confused.  I really felt for her.  I hope she's okay.  I can't imagine what she's going through.  

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7054826/

They filmed this last September/October so she was the same weight as she was last season on Hollywood Game Night.

• Love 1

I hate to say it, but I hate the season 2 clip they released. Ugh.

Between the treacly music, and the blatant "this'll make 'em cry!" subject matter, and the insistence on telling us that Jack was as glorious as a human being can be, as they gloss over some of his overbearing and kinda shitty behavior...it's like a parody of the show.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Between the treacly music, and the blatant "this'll make 'em cry!" subject matter, and the insistence on telling us that Jack was as glorious as a human being can be, as they gloss over some of his overbearing and kinda shitty behavior...it's like a parody of the show.

I agree with this.  I watched this and I just felt like they were trying to double down on the things for which people have been criticizing the show.  Which is odd, you know?  I'd think if a show was getting feedback that it was coming across as manipulative, I would think that they would try to *not* be as manipulative.  Instead, it's worse (at least judging from this clip.)

However, in the interviews I've read with Fogelman, it seems like he is convinced that he is above reproach with this show and, if anyone has a problem with it, it is because they just don't understand things.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Morksmate said:

I agree with this.  I watched this and I just felt like they were trying to double down on the things for which people have been criticizing the show.  Which is odd, you know?  I'd think if a show was getting feedback that it was coming across as manipulative, I would think that they would try to *not* be as manipulative.  Instead, it's worse (at least judging from this clip.)

However, in the interviews I've read with Fogelman, it seems like he is convinced that he is above reproach with this show and, if anyone has a problem with it, it is because they just don't understand things.

I hope this arrogance doesn't spell the show's doom. The same thing happened to Sleepy Hollow. The showrunners thought they could do no wrong, and the show's quality suffered--along with its ratings. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Morksmate said:

This right here.

On 8/25/2017 at 4:06 PM, Blakeston said:

It kind of underlines what people have been saying about the husband/wife dynamic on the show. If it's what the husband wants, then the wife wants it too...she just doesn't know it yet! Beth is well-within her rights not to want to take on another kid but since it's something that Randall wants, then by golly she'll just have to get in line with it!

• Love 3

I was okay with the clip until Mandy Moore and  the other actors, started coming out, interrupting the fans in mid-interview, fully confident that the sight of themselves would thrill the fans into absolute screams of delight.

• Love 1

What I saw in the clip is a

Spoiler

woman who had just undergone hours of labor, given birth twice, undergone major surgery, and suffered a terrible loss be dragged out of bed and forced to stand at the nursery window while her husband steam-rolls her into taking a third baby because they are supposed to have three and any three will do; the baby who died must be completely replaceable in his mind.  Then he apparently tells her she doesn't know her own mind because she is tired and grieving and he needs to make the decision for her.  I am supposed to think that makes him as close to perfect as anyone can be?

How much does anyone want to bet that he tries this with Beth, she shoots him down, and it is just another thing Rebecca is wrong about.  Actually, with this show I am sure the writers 

Spoiler

will figure out a way to make Beth agree to the adoption AND have Rebecca be wrong.

I don't know if I need spoilers so am adding just in case.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, Palomar said:

And so the backlash begins........build it up to tear it down. :)

I don't know if it's that. Speaking personally, I really enjoyed This Is Us and look forward to season 2. BUT, there were some aspects of the show that concerned me and became more pronounced over the course of the season: 

--certain characters were built to be saintly, and by the end of the season, they could do no wrong--e.g. Jack.  Randall's dad. 

--the writers and producers have said outright that they try to make viewers cry. Shouldn't you just try to write a good story and allow viewers to react how they will?

--husbands making decisions for their wives because they know best. What is this--Victorian England?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, topanga said:

I don't know if it's that. Speaking personally, I really enjoyed This Is Us and look forward to season 2. BUT, there were some aspects of the show that concerned me and became more pronounced over the course of the season: 

--certain characters were built to be saintly, and by the end of the season, they could do no wrong--e.g. Jack.  Randall's dad. 

--the writers and producers have said outright that they try to make viewers cry. Shouldn't you just try to write a good story and allow viewers to react how they will?

--husbands making decisions for their wives because they know best. What is this--Victorian England?

I definitely understand.

There was one decision that Rebecca made on her own that had a lot of repercussions.  IF Jack would have known about Randall's Dad, a lot of things could have been different. Or, Jack might have gone along with Rebecca's wishes anyway.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, topanga said:

I feel the same way.  I can't hate-watch shows anymore.  So, if I really don't like a show, I don't watch.  If I tune back into a show, there is something that I enjoy about it.  And, frankly, there is quite a bit I enjoy about this one.  I think the stories are generally quite interesting, the characters are mostly believable, and the acting is pretty much anywhere from good to outstanding.  This is Us is a good show...but it isn't a great one. And I think it COULD be a great show, if it would just get out of its own way.

The item I bolded above is the one that is the biggest issue for me.  Look, I truly believe that people are generally intelligent and we know, at least on some level, when we are being manipulated by a show.  If you tell a good story, and it touches me in a way that crying would be how I would respond, I cry.  If you just try to make me cry, nothing happens.  There have been moments that I've cried in this show, but there have been far more moments where I was told, usually quite bluntly, that I would cry and then...I just sit there.  Basically, if you have to tell the audience that they are going to cry, you're doing it wrong.

• Love 12

I've said what I am about to say on another thread.

Every single show or movie is formulated to make you emit a certain emotion. Basically, they are trying to manipulate you. Whether the writing is good or bad or whether the folks behind the scenes tell you or not. Yes, I would hope that whatever emotion they want me to feel is wrapped in good writing. Sometimes, I feel what they want and sometimes I don't.

I never saw Jack or William as saintly. They were flawed just as the other characters on the show.

3 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I've said what I am about to say on another thread.

Every single show or movie is formulated to make you emit a certain emotion. Basically, they are trying to manipulate you. Whether the writing is good or bad or whether the folks behind the scenes tell you or not. Yes, I would hope that whatever emotion they want me to feel is wrapped in good writing. Sometimes, I feel what they want and sometimes I don't.

I never saw Jack or William as saintly. They were flawed just as the other characters on the show.

I think we've moved away from media on this, so I'm moving my reply to the Unpopular Opinions thread.

• Love 2
On 8/25/2017 at 11:46 PM, Morksmate said:

I think overall, they don't get much criticism for it.  My FB feed was lit up with "I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS SHOW TO COME BACK!!!!" and similar sentiments after the clip was released.  

3 hours ago, deaja said:

I think overall, they don't get much criticism for it.  My FB feed was lit up with "I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS SHOW TO COME BACK!!!!" and similar sentiments after the clip was released.  

I agree that the fan response doesn't provide much of this criticism yet (although I do think that might start showing up in some form if Fogelman stays on the same path).  But I've seen some reviews and articles that have brought this up.

But that sort of brings up another concern I have with this show.  It seems like Fogelman is really eating up the rather emotional reactions on social media and that makes me wary that he may fall victim to the f word (fan service, y'all!).  I realize that writers have a very fine line to walk between listening to the audience to determine what is and is not working in their show and just "giving 'em what they want."  But it is a necessary walk.  I've seen too many shows get tangled up in trying to give "the audience" what it wants, resulting in a huge self-created mess.  And let us not forget that this whole show started with one of the most gratuitous (albeit benign) bits of fan service I've seen in a while--the ass that belongs to Milo Ventimiglia....

• Love 1
On 8/24/2017 at 10:58 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Did anyone see some of the cast on Hollywood Game show on August 14?   I only saw the first part.  I couldn't help but notice that Chrissy seems to have gained an enormous amount of weight.

I didn't but I watched Chrissy and Justin on $100,000 Pyramid and they both came across as smart and funny, unlike Usher and Von Miller who played the round before them.  

On 8/24/2017 at 9:28 AM, luna1122 said:

Aw, I think he's still cute. I never watched Brothers and Sisters so don't know why he'd be unwelcome here? I do like the cake. I loved thirtysomething. Far more than I love This is Us.

LOVE KEN!

On 8/24/2017 at 9:28 AM, luna1122 said:

Over the course of the show, he basically turned it into the Olin Nepotism Family Hour. I'm crossing my fingers Olin family members won't start popping up on this show.

Although I will say, the idea of him playing against Mandy Moore as a love interest, while they're both playing the same relative age, would be pretty hysterical.

Anyway...

Oh look, someone realized that Teen Kevin's blue eyes were a bad bit of continuity and they gave him brown contacts so that he matches the child and adult versions of Kevin. Was it really that hard, guys? The funny thing is that I think Logan Shroyer actually looks better with the fake brown color- I guess I always did like hair/eye contrast.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1