Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I can't get worked up over sippy cups and bibs.

My son is 3 and can (and does) use regular cups, straw cups, and sometimes a sippy cup.  Just because he uses a sippy cup doesn't mean he isn't capable of drinking out of a "big boy cup."  He still likes to use his sippy cup sometimes, so I'm good with that.  I don't let him use it all the time because it can lead to tooth decay. (Don't know how often Izzy uses his.  But we don't know...Izzy may very well be able to drink from a cup).

While my son hasn't used a bib since he's turned 2, I've seen older kids use them but not get much food on them regardless.  So maybe it's there out of habit or because the kid likes it, but they have mastered eating so it's not out of necessity.  Unless Izzy is still really eating like he's 15 months old, it's a little strange but I don't think worrisome.

• Love 8
37 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Also, Izzy is the 'big boy' in the family and should be celebrated for 'big boy' accomplishments.

Don’t worry, They will probably declare him a man on his fifth birthday.

• LOL 11
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Don’t worry, They will probably declare him a man on his fifth birthday.

That will happen right after he confesses his sins and declares Jesus Christ his Lord and saviour.

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, scriggle said:

That will happen right after he confesses his sins and declares Jesus Christ his Lord and saviour.

Exactly.  Until he's accepted Jesus as his Lord and savior and repented, it is sippy cups and bibs.  I seem to recall that multiple members of the clan were 'saved' as preschoolers, so Izzy's probably ready for it.

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, scriggle said:

I’m honestly surprised this hasn’t happened yet. It’s the one thing he could do to get his parents to actually like him.

• Love 3

I don't believe that anyone has shown Israel how to eat with utensils. Most of the Duggar children and now grandchildren seem to have to fend for themselves. Their mothers throw some slop on the high chair tray; with out without a plate and those kids eat with their hands the best they can. When they are offered a spoon or a fork, it's an adult sized one and they aren't shown how to attempt to hold them. They make wonderful child-sized, light weight toddler utensils. Why doesn't Jill venture out to Walmart and pick up a couple of sets? None of them have good table manners as far as I could see. This starts with Jim Bob and Michelle.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
17 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I don't believe that anyone has shown Israel how to eat with utensils. Most of the Duggar children and now grandchildren seem to have to fend for themselves. Their mothers throw some slop on the high chair tray; with out without a plate and those kids eat with their hands the best they can. When they are offered a spoon or a fork, it's an adult sized one and they aren't shown how to attempt to hold them. They make wonderful child-sized, light weight toddler utensils. Why doesn't Jill venture out to Walmart and pick up a couple of sets? None of them have good table manners as far as I could see. This starts with Jim Bob and Michelle.

I think you are on to something here.  I looked back and saw that Izzy used a large adult spoon for his soup.  The spoon looks too large for my mouth let alone Izzy's.  He needs something smaller both for his hands and mouth or he is going to make a mess and necessitate a bib.  

• Love 10
10 hours ago, floridamom said:

Jessa was embarrassed enough watching Josie eat lasagna with her hands that she loudly chided her on camera. Growing up with all of them licking their plates clean, it took marriage to fastidious Ben to realize that was not normal.

Edited by louannems
  • Love 17
6 hours ago, floridamom said:

They make wonderful child-sized, light weight toddler utensils. Why doesn't Jill venture out to Walmart and pick up a couple of sets? 

The child-sized silverware at Walmart and Target is so cute that I’m always tempted to buy some, and I’m a full-sized adult with no kids!  I keep trying to rationalize that they would fit better in my lunch bag and be lighter to carry. I haven’t given in yet, but I can’t even fathom how someone with a valid excuse to buy them would pass them by!

• LOL 3
  • Love 13
36 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

But but but she has (unaccredited) college credits, maybe even more than you! (per Derelict)

Eh, I'll stack mine up against Jill's anytime.  Real credits from, you know, real colleges (IIT and DePaul). 

BTW, I'm in my 60's, and sippy cups and bibs are beginning to feel age appropriate for me. 😉 

• LOL 21
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, floridamom said:

9 hours ago, lucy711 said:

I can't get worked up over sippy cups and bibs.

My son is 3 and can (and does) use regular cups, straw cups, and sometimes a sippy cup.  Just because he uses a sippy cup doesn't mean he isn't capable of drinking out of a "big boy cup."  He still likes to use his sippy cup sometimes, so I'm good with that.  I don't let him use it all the time because it can lead to tooth decay. (Don't know how often Izzy uses his.  But we don't know...Izzy may very well be able to drink from a cup).

While my son hasn't used a bib since he's turned 2, I've seen older kids use them but not get much food on them regardless.  So maybe it's there out of habit or because the kid likes it, but they have mastered eating so it's not out of necessity.  Unless Izzy is still really eating like he's 15 months old, it's a little strange but I don't think worrisome.

Most of the people I know who have children have gone out and purchased at least one (any usually many) books on early childhood development. Jill, of course, knows everything that she needs to know from being raised by MOTY in the TTH. I think the idea of doing ANYTHING different from J'chelle is really threatening to her and her sense of self.

I think it's indefensible that a mother with two children can't be bothered to teach them to use (appropriate) cutlery. I'm not willing to cut Jill any slack on the sippy cup, either. Izzy is 4 -- he's not a toddler any more, and there is no indication that he uses a sippy cup "sometimes." Jill posts tons of pictures of them eating, and I don't see him ever using a regular cup.

She's got no idea what is, or is not, age appropriate because she takes all her cues from what her mother did with a dozen kids and what she and her sisters managed to work out when they were tweens.

• Love 15
15 hours ago, jennblevins said:

The child-sized silverware at Walmart and Target is so cute that I’m always tempted to buy some, and I’m a full-sized adult with no kids!  I keep trying to rationalize that they would fit better in my lunch bag and be lighter to carry. I haven’t given in yet, but I can’t even fathom how someone with a valid excuse to buy them would pass them by!

Go for it!  That's a great idea to use them as your lunch cutlery.  I still use the knife from my son's toddler  set from 25 years ago for certain things. It is the best - it's lightweight for my arthritic hands & just the right size for icing cupcakes, filling deviled eggs & using as a spreader for cheese on crackers.  It's still fondly referred to as "the bunny knife" because of the bunny impression on the handle.  The knife was part of an Oneida stainless steel set I got as a baby shower gift.  It was one of my favorite baby gifts &  one of those things that is usually over looked  to give as a gift.

11 hours ago, awaken said:

Ew. They look absolutely gross in that picture. They’re upset that the kids didn’t nap and it cut into their Kama sutra time. 

...and their bathing time.  

Edited by Barb23
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8

I think Jill doesn't have the common sense or whatever  sense to realize Izzy is getting older & needs to outgrow the baby & toddler things. The poor kid isn't around others his age that much  (like preschool or a mom's/kid's group)  so he himself (or Jill) don't realize others his age aren't using sippy cups.  There has to be Paw Patrol or other theme cups or water bottles out there geared to his age. My son had a small plastic cup with lid & straw that was decorated with space stuff that he started using around Izzy's age. He used it for years. It probably cost a dollar at the time. 

I agree with the poster who said Izzy was probably punished for spilling a regular cup. You know how Jill & Dillweed like to degrade & make fun of him so I could see him being punished by telling him he has to go back using  a sippy cup cuz he spilled his regular big boy adult sized cup. (Which knowing these nitwits, they probably gave him a regular sized heavy drinking glass, which are hard to use for some adults, myself included.)  

• Love 2

Don't remind me about the kid sized and themed cups.  I'll be washing a dozen of them in a few days.  They are available in abundance at both Wal Mart and Target.  Izzie and Sam (who is plenty old enough to have a regular cup) could have great fun picking out two or three each.  They could pick their own color or theme and skip the names.  

• Love 5
16 hours ago, ginger90 said:

05A71E39-D0D1-4C0A-9A06-FED1BB27DA74.jpeg

Two things.   

1.  Jill still wants to be pregnant with another one, yet they can’t handle the two they have (post implies that they were together all day)  🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

2.  Izzy shouldn’t be needing daily naps at this point.  No way they are getting him up super early and letting him stay up super late.   Cuz that would cut into lotion and sexy time.  🤢

• LOL 4
  • Love 12
21 hours ago, jennblevins said:

I still have my kid's toddler sized spoons, they are awesome for things like yogurt and applesauce.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Zella said:

I can't even explain why, but I'm getting Manson Family Photo vibes from the look on Jill's face in that pic. 

Her acne is pretty bad. Start double cleansing and using Differin, Jill. Your skin will thank you. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I still have my kid's toddler sized spoons, they are awesome for things like yogurt and applesauce.

I bought a set and use it for my food.  Have to watch my weight and really slows me down.

• Useful 9
  • Love 4

The location of Jill's acne makes me think that she does not wash her face, hair and pillowcases regularly.   Cheek acne like that usually comes from too much oil and dirt.  If she had a desk job I would suspect that she sits with her hand on her face all day, but that is not the case.  Jill is probably not washing her face every night and sleeping on her greasy hair on a dirty pillowcase.   

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

Ya’ll called me out about naps, lol.   My son is 22 this week and naps more often than he did at Izzy’s age.    It all comes down to how much are they sleeping at night and I had control when he was 4.   😑

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

I've been busy with my MIL visiting and buying school supplies for my son, so I've been catching up. 

Izzy is way too old for a bib. My 3 year old twins haven't used a bib for over a year. He's also too old IMO for a sippy cup. Regular cups should be fine at this stage. My kids love their kid sized silverware. They also know how to use it properly most of the time. Still working on the "spoon as shovel" thing. Naptime is a thing of the past. Derelict and muffin are so tired from the kids being up all day without a nap. Aww. Too bad. Try 3 all day without one. Ugh. 

• Love 14

Napping at 4 is OK and Izzy just turned 4 in the spring.  Age 5 is when our local Montessori phases out naps.  Kids are variable.  Grandson quit almost all napping at age 18 months.  It took car rides for him to nap at all after that unless he was sick.  Granddaughter was still napping at 4 3/4 when the Montessori school promoted her to the non-napping 5 to 6 year old group.  It was a grumpy first week.  

• Love 8

I don't have firsthand knowledge of enough children to comment on the silverware except to say it does seem like he is old enough to be moving beyond a bib and sippy cup (though as accident-prone as I am, I could probably still benefit from them. 😉

As for naps, I take way more naps as a 30-year-old than I did as a kid. 😄 I do remember being in kindergarten in the mid-90s in a public school and naps still being part of the schedule after lunch, though I also remember many of us being on the verge of not needing them anymore. Of course, by first grade the next year, we didn't have that as part of the schedule. So, the nap thing makes more sense to me in theory. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Zella said:

I don't have firsthand knowledge of enough children to comment on the silverware except to say it does seem like he is old enough to be moving beyond a bib and sippy cup (though as accident-prone as I am, I could probably still benefit from them. 😉

As for naps, I take way more naps as a 30-year-old than I did as a kid. 😄 I do remember being in kindergarten in the mid-90s in a public school and naps still being part of the schedule after lunch, though I also remember many of us being on the verge of not needing them anymore. Of course, by first grade the next year, we didn't have that as part of the schedule. So, the nap thing makes more sense to me in theory. 

My kids were all pretty variable as to when and how many naps they took. I can't exactly remember who was who 30-ish years later, but among the three of them there was definitely a range from giving up all naps by about 18 months and continuing with them until about 3 years old.

Also, my daughter was always a morning person who could wake up happy at the crack of dawn, while the boys, even as babies, got up cranky at best, but at least slept in a bit longer than she did. They still maintain their morning person/night person preferences, even when jobs require that they adjust.

At 32, my daughter still relishes the occasional nap when she can fit it into her schedule. Rather like Mr. Jyn, who always napped on weekends, and, now that he is retired, sneaks in a 2-hour or so nap pretty much every day. He still gets up at 5:00, though. I generally sleep until 7 or 8, and have to be dead on my feet or sick before I'll nap, then almost always regret it as I'll feel totally disoriented for hours afterwards. Naps do NOT equal rejuvenation for me!

• Love 10