Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Portia said:

Dude, I LOVE goopy/creamy/starchy foods, but the great thing about those types of foods is that they are a great way to introduce "stealth vegetables" to children.  They are missing a great opportunity to acclimate young children to a vegetable that some of them have trouble adjusting to.  My husband made broccoli cornbread for Easter dinner yesterday--cornbread is a huge treat for us now because he has to watch his blood sugar--and it was absolutely packed with fresh broccoli. It was delicious, and my little grandson was gobbling it like it was candy.

Idiots.

That sounds delicious.  I agree that if Jill was smart she’d slip in tons of broccoli, cauliflower and fresh mushrooms like I do.  My grandma made dressing with eggplant for years before i found out.  I think I was in college when I got the revelation.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

That sounds delicious.  I agree that if Jill was smart she’d slip in tons of broccoli, cauliflower and fresh mushrooms like I do.  My grandma made dressing with eggplant for years before i found out.  I think I was in college when I got the revelation.

That sounds wonderful, too.  I wish I had known when my children were small how easy spinach is to camouflage. The only spinach I knew as a child was the smelly canned stuff, which I detested, so I avoided it like the plague.  Later in life I discovered that fresh spinach is not objectionable in the least, and it's packed with nutrients! I chop it up and add it to pretty much everything, including chili. And it's not expensive, either.

Edited by Portia
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

No words. Am I the only one who's kids never wrote on the wall? And Jill looks creepy. 

It looks like she’s under the table? Why didn’t she move it? 

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

I'm sorry, but I find it funny and refreshingly "normal" behaviour for a 4 year old.  But given that these are the Dillards I really hope he wasn't punished too severely.

I am confused- is this the new house or is she cleaning the old place? The carpet looks new so I am guessing it's the new house.  Maybe Israel was excited to get his own room and wanted to put his stamp on it .

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, 3 is enough said:

I'm sorry, but I find it funny and refreshingly "normal" behaviour for a 4 year old.  But given that these are the Dillards I really hope he wasn't punished too severely.

I am confused- is this the new house or is she cleaning the old place? The carpet looks new so I am guessing it's the new house.  Maybe Israel was excited to get his own room and wanted to put his stamp on it .

It’s their old place.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Hahahahahahaha *snort* hahahahahahaha

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Although my children weren't wall writers, I also find this very normal behavior.  I agree with you that I hope he wasn't too severely punished.  He did a very good job writing his name.  Maybe if he was in preschool he would be tired enough to not have time to write on walls.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

No words. Am I the only one who's kids never wrote on the wall? And Jill looks creepy. 

My mother, who was a neat freak and OCD about keeping the house/yard looking nice, would’ve beaten us within an inch of our life if we had ever written on anything other than paper.

I’m totally confused about what body part is where in that first pic.

• Love 7

My own kids never wrote on walls either, but we had an old coffee table in their playroom, and when we moved we flipped it over to see that the underside was covered in crayon scribbles.  It looked like an abstract painting.  DH and I just burst out laughing.  None of them had ever come to us and said "X or Y or Z is writing on the table".  You have to admire the loyalty between siblings when they aren't trying to cover up something really evil.

When I was a teenager I babysat a little guy who was a real handful.  His bedroom was wallpapered, and his bed was pushed against the wall.  Just above pillow level, written neatly in small letters in pencil, was the word "fcuk". He wasn't dyslexic, he thought he was being clever and by mixing up the letters no one would be able to tell what he was actually writing.  It was hilarious. 

@JoanArc: LOL! You win for the best post of the day!

Edited by 3 is enough
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

F5C6537B-1F05-429D-A217-B3EA509766A7.jpeg

Broccoli Rice Casserole

Apr 22, 2019 | Recipes | 0 

We had Broccoli Rice Casserole a lot growing up. It’s another one of those recipes that is easy to serve a large crowd and is also great for when you have lots of leftover rice! 

Makes one 9×13″ pan

6 C. cooked rice 

2 T. Butter

1 small onion, chopped

1 (1 lb.) block velveeta

2 cans cream of chicken soup

1lb broccoli, cooked

Grease one 9x 13″ casserole dish and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook rice according to package directions. Sauté onions in butter till tender, add velvet and soup. Warm until cheese is melted, being careful not to let it scorch. Cook broccoli in separate pot until tender. Drain. Combine rice, cheese mixture and broccoli. Spread in greased dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 min. or until slightly golden brown on top.

A random young bride recipe in a magazine I found forever ago for  broccoli cheese with rice casserole was the first great success of our marriage.   While a dreaded can of creme of soup is part of the recipe, the different portions and type of cheese and broccoli and rice meld together well.  And make a great side dish for a roasted chicken.  She is trying so hard and failing.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Broccoli Rice Casserole

We had Broccoli Rice Casserole a lot growing up. It’s another one of those recipes that is easy to serve a large crowd and is also great for when you have lots of leftover rice! 

Makes one 9×13″ pan

6 C. cooked rice 

2 T. Butter

1 small onion, chopped

1 (1 lb.) block velveeta

1lb broccoli, cooked

Grease one 9x 13″ casserole dish and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook rice according to package directions. Sauté onions in butter till tender, add velvet and soup. Warm until cheese is melted, being careful not to let it scorch. Cook broccoli in separate pot until tender. Drain. Combine rice, cheese mixture and broccoli. Spread in greased dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 min. or until slightly golden brown on top.

The new insulation being put in our walls and ceiling probably taste better than this does.

Edited by bigskygirl

Is Jill the only one who attempts to post recipes?

Not that I can recall (the reality is that I couldn’t pick any of them correctly out of a lineup) but it seems like Jinger and Jessa don’t bother.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 1

That casserole seems like a lot of work. I’m cooking rice in one pot, broccoli in another, the sauce in a third, then mix it together to add to fourth dish, then let it bake for almost an hour*? I call BS. That’s a lot of meal prep and dirty dishes for 20 hungry people.

*can’t remember exactly how long her recipe said 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

*can’t remember exactly how long her recipe said 

Too long.

Precooked rice, precooked broccoli...all it really needs is to warm up enough to melt the pasteurized processed pseudo-cheese product and heat up the hydrolyzed protein saline solution soup.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • LOL 7
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

When I was a teenager I babysat a little guy who was a real handful.  His bedroom was wallpapered, and his bed was pushed against the wall.  Just above pillow level, written neatly in small letters in pencil, was the word "fcuk". He wasn't dyslexic, he thought he was being clever and by mixing up the letters no one would be able to tell what he was actually writing.  It was hilarious. 

@JoanArc: LOL! You win for the best post of the day!

French Connection UK 💁‍♀️

Edited by mimionthebeach
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

Just read the whole recipe and she said to add velvet but she didn't say lightweight mediumweight  or heavyweight velvet or what size and color fabric.

Judging by the picture, I’d say Marigold. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mynextmistake said:

Mini Mistake once got a hold of a Sharpie and decided to use it to color. Not on the walls, though. That would be too pedestrian. FYI, it takes about 6 months for black Sharpie to wear off of a yellow Labrador. I still sometimes don’t understand why the dog didn’t run away when she saw Mini Mistake scooting toward her with an uncapped Sharpie, but then I remember that it took her three years to learn that she couldn’t stand up under the coffee table without hitting her head and it makes more sense. 

This reminds me of me and my brother as a kid we had a white Persian and we were bored one day so we decided to dye the Persian purple with grape Kool-Aid until the day the Persian Went Over the Rainbow Bridge he had a purple tint.

• LOL 16

with all of Jill's bad recipes, I wonder why she doesn't actually read some cookbooks and try out those recipes?  That's what I did when I got my first place.  Or would that be too difficult for her to do?

• Love 5
14 hours ago, beagletime said:

Although my children weren't wall writers, I also find this very normal behavior.  I agree with you that I hope he wasn't too severely punished.  He did a very good job writing his name.  Maybe if he was in preschool he would be tired enough to not have time to write on walls.

I think it's normal behavior too and I always have found it funny that the thing kids tend to write is their own name, making it easy to catch the culprit!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

My mom used to make a cheesy chicken broccoli rice casserole when I was younger. I liked it. It did have a can of cream of whatever soup, but she preferred cheese broccoli soup. Not that it is any better than cream of whatever. It had real cheese, not Velveeta. The only thing that needed to be cooked prior to the casserole going into the oven was the chicken. I have made it occasionally, because it is like comfort food for me.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Who has lots of leftover rice?

21 hours ago, JoanArc said:

People that can't measure rice accurately?

People WHO meal prep and make rice ahead of time, as I do. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

With all of the prayers, proverbs and assorted Jesus words the Dillweeds Sharpied on the interior walls of the new house, why wouldn't her kids think writing on walls is just fine?

Morons. 

If anyone in the family had any brains at all, they'd write indecipherable stuff on the wall and tell their mom and dad, "You have been weighed. . . and found wanting." (See Daniel Chapter 5.)

• Love 4
21 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Broccoli Rice Casserole

Makes one 9×13″ pan

6 C. cooked rice 

2 T. Butter

1 small onion, chopped

1 (1 lb.) block velveeta

1lb broccoli, cooked

An entire block of Velvetta??   I think I’m going to puke

21 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Who has lots of leftover rice?

Not me... my dog loves rice 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, LilJen said:

If anyone in the family had any brains at all, they'd write indecipherable stuff on the wall and tell their mom and dad, "You have been weighed. . . and found wanting." (See Daniel Chapter 5.)

Also Count Adhemar in the movie "A Knight's Tale".  He was fond of that expression.  It's a good one.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, dariafan said:

An entire block of Velvetta??   I think I’m going to puke

Not me... my dog loves rice 

A standard block of Velveeta is 2 pounds.  1 lb. of Velveeta is the small box. But it's still a heck of a lot. A little of that stuff goes a long way. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I wrote on walls/wallpaper as a kid.  I got spanked lol. It’s fun to draw on the walls.

I would've gotten spanked too. I can only wonder what happened to poor Izzy when he did this, especially from Derick. If he did this after they wrote bible versus all over the framing of the new house, Jill and Derick are only to blame.

When the last child I watched was 3, she decided to Chap-Stick our couch. Thank goodness for Dawn detergent, eventually took it off after a lot of scrubbing.

Even smart, well-behaved preschoolers do stupid things like writing on walls.  My youngest child was by far my best behaved, and she was also the smartest. (Don't tell the other kids I said that . . . but they know it's true, ha!) Guess which kid once drew on the wallpaper with my brightest lipstick? Guess which one took a black crayon and wrote her name all over her sister's dollhouse, apparently thinking this would magically transfer ownership of said dollhouse to herself? Kiddies be stupid! And of course, lying when confronted is also totally normal preschool behavior. I really hope poor Izzy didn't get spanked for age-appropriate shenanigans.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, beckie said:

That picture makes her look like she's attempting to take a dump and having a hard time of it.

I'm glad someone said before I had to. That was my first thought as well!

Edited by BitterApple
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4