Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

You can always decline the premium when making a donation to a nonprofit. There's usually a box to tick or you can just write in that you don't want the item. I do it all the time.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4

There's a commercial for washable area rugs featuring a young couple with children who allow their kids brats to run rampant around the house, pouring milk from the jug all over the kitchen, etc.  They don't want to impede their growth, creativity and freedom or some such nonsense the woman says.  I think it may be Ruggable brand.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Always wondered what they meant by 2 days earlier. They are either advancing some of the money or lying, can't see any other way.

I run a payroll that is transmitted every other Tuesday for a Friday pay date.  Some people's pay is posted to their account on Thursday and most get it very early Friday (like right after midnight).  I think there may be some whose pay posts on Wednesday. The variation is due to the specific bank policies.  

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Always wondered what they meant by 2 days earlier. They are either advancing some of the money or lying, can't see any other way.

Actually, my bank does that, and I do get certain routine checks 2 days early. I don't understand how it happens, but it does work. In fact, Wednesday afternoon, I received notice that a check which used to be deposited on Fridays had already been deposited to my account.

The Chime lady sounds crazy. What sort of person runs around telling everyone when they get paid?

Edited by renatae
  • Love 10
Just now, susannah said:
8 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

There's a commercial for washable area rugs featuring a young couple with children who allow their kids brats to run rampant around the house, pouring milk from the jug all over the kitchen, etc.  They don't want to impede their growth, creativity and freedom or some such nonsense the woman says.  I think it may be Ruggable brand.

Whoah, I haven't seen this one and I am glad I haven't. It would bug me as much as the ones with the kids crawling around in the mud and then come in and track it all over the house, while the stupid parent runs after them with Bounty towels or something, or the one with the kid that shakes up a pop bottle in the kitchen and then sprays it all over the place, while his mother beams. Military school, anyone?

• Love 3

I just noticed on the Car Shield ads that there's an upper limit to the car's mileage - 150,000.  So if your Car Shield Car has gone farther, it won't be covered?

That getting paid two days earlier thing: At my penultimate job before I retired, if I tried to use my pay two days early, it would have bounced. My employer was always shifting money around from one account to another to cover certain expenses. I knew the payroll money wouldn't be there until payday. I wouldn't be surprised to discover they've gone bankrupt.

16 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I am really disliking these ads for disabled veterans, sick children or suffering animals that reward you for contributing by giving you a blanket. Keep the blanket money and give it to the veterans, kids or shelters. I have enough blankets.

Yes!  I yell out "keep your damned blanket!" every time these come on. Same with all the other "gifts" for giving.  Use the money you spend making these things to give out to those you are helping!

• Love 12
18 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

I think it's based on the assumption that companies begin processing payroll with their provider on a Monday for Friday pay date, but for those lucky enough to have a Chime card, they'll probably be funded on Wednesday.

• Love 2
On 12/28/2021 at 8:50 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

And starving Russian Jews.

Apparently the woman who runs this so-called "charity" has an annual compensation of almost $1 million (although her father who started it was compensated over $2 million a year). How many starving Russians could be fed with that?  So a cute bear blanket or a stuffed polar bear isn't quite so egregious.

• Useful 7
  • Love 2

I am really disliking these ads for disabled veterans, sick children or suffering animals that reward you for contributing by giving you a blanket. Keep the blanket money and give it to the veterans, kids or shelters. I have enough blankets.

I'm looking at you, Covenant House. Please use the blankets to keep the children in your shelters warm.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, cinsays said:

Yes!  I yell out "keep your damned blanket!" every time these come on. Same with all the other "gifts" for giving.  Use the money you spend making these things to give out to those you are helping!

What annoys me is if you donate to a charity they immediately start inundating you with endless requests for more money (and they sell your name and address to other charities that inundate you even further).  My mother, who had senile dementia (which we were unaware of) was being swamped by requests (and when we had her moved to assisted living, they told me that this was a common problem with their residents).  I took her checkbook away and had all mail delivered to me, but it took years for the requests to end.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Love 15
26 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

What annoys me is if you donate to a charity they immediately start inundating you with endless requests for more money (and they sell your name and address to other charities that inundate you even further).  My mother, who had senile dementia (which we were unaware of) was being swamped by requests (and when we had her moved to assisted living, they told me that this was a common problem with their residents).  I took her checkbook away and had all mail delivered to me, but it took years for the requests to end.

That's shameful but not surprising about what happened to your mother.  The opposite of charitable.  I only have a few charities that don't continue requesting more donations.  I only give to them.  

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, wilsie said:

That's shameful but not surprising about what happened to your mother.  The opposite of charitable.  I only have a few charities that don't continue requesting more donations.  I only give to them.  

There's also the issue of magazines immediately and repeatedly sending renewal notices.  There was one magazine that she paid for 25 years of renewals.  Fortunately they were honest enough to return the money, unlike the charities which wouldn't stop sending requests after we asked them to stop and even after we refused delivery of their mail.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

There's also the issue of magazines immediately and repeatedly sending renewal notices.  There was one magazine that she paid for 25 years of renewals.  Fortunately they were honest enough to return the money, unlike the charities which wouldn't stop sending requests after we asked them to stop and even after we refused delivery of their mail.

My poor dad, after my mom died he got so many magazine renewal, requests for donations and "gifts" (mostly nickels and return address labels) that he was distraught. His kitchen counters were literally covered in them because he didn't know what to do with them. Then the phone calls. He voted a certain way his whole life and suddenly he was giving thousands of dollars to the other party. The poor man has dementia and I had to go to his bank and dispute all these charges. Which required me to carry my POA papers around everywhere I went to get these people to leave him alone. I finally filed for a change of address for him to my house. We are still getting a mountain of crap every single day even though he's been in memory care for three years.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

My poor dad, after my mom died he got so many magazine renewal, requests for donations and "gifts" (mostly nickels and return address labels) that he was distraught. His kitchen counters were literally covered in them because he didn't know what to do with them. Then the phone calls. He voted a certain way his whole life and suddenly he was giving thousands of dollars to the other party. The poor man has dementia and I had to go to his bank and dispute all these charges. Which required me to carry my POA papers around everywhere I went to get these people to leave him alone. I finally filed for a change of address for him to my house. We are still getting a mountain of crap every single day even though he's been in memory care for three years.

Yes, that's the same problem we had exactly, and, according to the assisted living people, many other seniors have.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Aren't those "two days early" things just payday loans that you have to pay back before the usurious interest rates kick in?

No, it simply refers to when the bank posts the money to your account.  They get it from the employer well before Friday, so some banks - not just Chime - don't wait until Friday to make it available to you.

Whenever the money hits, it hits again two weeks later (or one week, or one month - whatever the pay schedule), so there's no long-term benefit to getting it on Wednesdays rather than Fridays; it's a silly thing to build an ad campaign around.  But, then, so is every single policy in the Liberty Mutual commercials, and look how long those have been running.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
32 minutes ago, Bastet said:

No, it simply refers to when the bank posts the money to your account.  They get it from the employer well before Friday, so some banks - not just Chime - don't wait until Friday to make it available to you.

Whenever the money hits, it hits again two weeks later (or one week, or one month - whatever the pay schedule), so there's no long-term benefit to getting it on Wednesdays rather than Fridays; it's a silly thing to build an ad campaign around.  But, then, so is every single policy in the Liberty Mutual commercials, and look how long those have been running.

When I was office manager, our employees who had direct deposit, which literally every bank does, they got the money in their accounts two days before we issued checks to the non direct deposit people. The commercials are beyond stupid.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Aren't those "two days early" things just payday loans that you have to pay back before the usurious interest rates kick in?

No, the money is yours interest-free; it's your direct deposit of your payroll earnings which is credited or posted to your account two days earlier than waiting for the paper check to be delivered to you, which would be on the official payday.

• Love 3

Want to talk about annoying? That Xfinity commercial with the whiny fucking animated dogs waiting for mommy to come home and watch their show with them. No Xfinity, I won't go to your website and hear more about those unbelievably irritating  creatures. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Want to talk about annoying? That Xfinity commercial with the whiny fucking animated dogs waiting for mommy to come home and watch their show with them. No Xfinity, I won't go to your website and hear more about those unbelievably irritating  creatures. 

I was just coming  here to post about them stupid animals.  The one that really irritates me is the one where they're waiting for mom to come home and whiny kid said she promised, but all of a sudden she's on TV and that's OK.  No, it's not.  She's not with them.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

No. I've been with my bank for several years. One day about six months ago, there was a note on my online account talking about some direct deposit checks being available 2 days early. I didn't really pay any attention, but a few weeks later, it was happening.

Edited by renatae
  • Love 2

There is a very annoying ad for Taco Bell for some type of special you can only get through delivery.  The guy mixes I think taco sauce and nacho cheese and dips a chip in it.  For some reason, his girlfriend then decides to take his crunchwrap and leave him with a little bag of chips because he's "the chip guy."  In the longer version of the ad (which is usually on), she also starts to eat the chips too.  She says he can divide up the food the next time.  I'm not sure what all comes with this meal, so maybe there was still a bunch of stuff for him, but the woman was really bugging me, especially after about the seventh time the ad was on in a couple hours.

• Love 5

There apparently is some show called Wipe Out. I will never watch it but I resent being inundated with the loud, obnoxious commercials for it every five fucking minutes. No wonder this country is such a mess if this kind of crap is what passes for entertainment.

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

There apparently is some show called Wipe Out. I will never watch it but I resent being inundated with the loud, obnoxious commercials for it every five fucking minutes. No wonder this country is such a mess if this kind of crap is what passes for entertainment.

I used to think the same & the new version of Wipeout is crap compared to the old version which I came across by accident late one night a few months ago and was really very funny.

It's 10 years or more since the original and the prize money is half what it was then & that's not counting how much it has changed due to tv wokeness.

• Love 1

It's half the prize money because it went from a prime time network show to a basic cable show. It's got a smaller budget. That said I haven't seen an ad for it since just before the new version premiered in April, so I must not be watching the channels they're advertising on now.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

It's half the prize money because it went from a prime time network show to a basic cable show. It's got a smaller budget. That said I haven't seen an ad for it since just before the new version premiered in April, so I must not be watching the channels they're advertising on now.

We've been watching reruns of Young Sheldon on TBS.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That's a ripoff of those old Japanese torture-the-contestant shows.

44 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

That's a ripoff of those old Japanese torture-the-contestant shows.

"The American gameshow Wipeout on ABC was accused of being "a blatant copycat" of shows such as Takeshi's Castle and Most Extreme Elimination Challenge, and a copyright infringement lawsuit was filed by Tokyo Broadcasting System against ABC in late 2008, claiming the obstacle-course game show closely resembled several Japanese shows."

Although Baba Ganoosh hasn't been a contestant on" Wipeout" yet.

• Useful 2

Instant hate, KAYAK, for your commercial with the idiot screaming at the top of his lungs “I’m so glad we’re finally on vacation!” I can’t stand loud people (unfortunately I work with one) so it’s a race to the Mute button when that ad comes on

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, TheWalkinDude said:

Instant hate, KAYAK, for your commercial with the idiot screaming at the top of his lungs “I’m so glad we’re finally on vacation!” I can’t stand loud people (unfortunately I work with one) so it’s a race to the Mute button when that ad comes on

I can't either. Your ad yells at me and you don't see a dime of my money.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Well don't hold back, peaches, tell us how you really feel!! 😀

• Love 4
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I know! I miss those days when feeding Christians to the lions was just good family fun. 🤣🤣

• LOL 8
3 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

I know! I miss those days when feeding Christians to the lions was just good family fun. 🤣🤣

My husband and I were discussing just that thing when I was bitching about that show. His point was that people have always been bloodthirsty assholes and he cited freak shows, public executions and gladiators.

• Love 11
On 9/13/2021 at 4:14 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

KCF*H is not sophomoric or juvenile at all.  Just the opposite, actually quite an original satire on that very trope for such a show.  

I saw that commercial, couldn't believe it. Like jaw dropping wtf did I just see?

I thought the premise of KCF*H is that the wife plans to murder Kevin.  Do I have that wrong? Because that didn't interest me at all.

On 10/21/2021 at 8:19 PM, susannah said:

This surprises me. I would think you would support all ads that increase awareness of this still out of control disease.

Here's my questions about "awareness" ads:  who, exactly, isn't aware of breast cancer?  It might be better to advertise (if that's the right word) early detection, reputable organizations to donate to, etc. 

• Love 3

I finally paid attention to the Geico ad with the dripping ceiling. My question is - where the hell are the parents/adults? Those two kids are way too young to be left alone without adult supervision, at least within earshot. Even though the kiddie pool is shallow, kids can still drown in them. I'm not saying adults need to be within eyesight of the kids, just you shouldn't leave kids that age alone without checking on what they are doing periodically.*

*dodging the rotten tomatoes.

• Love 8
58 minutes ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I thought the premise of KCF*H is that the wife plans to murder Kevin.  Do I have that wrong? Because that didn't interest me at all.

Here's my questions about "awareness" ads:  who, exactly, isn't aware of breast cancer?  It might be better to advertise (if that's the right word) early detection, reputable organizations to donate to, etc. 

THIS! It REALLY irritates me when people use that phrase, and I did without thinking. Everyone knows about breast cancer and brain tumors and these other monstrous diseases. As you said, what is needed much more is information on how to help.

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I finally paid attention to the Geico ad with the dripping ceiling. My question is - where the hell are the parents/adults? Those two kids are way too young to be left alone without adult supervision, at least within earshot. Even though the kiddie pool is shallow, kids can still drown in them. I'm not saying adults need to be within eyesight of the kids, just you shouldn't leave kids that age alone without checking on what they are doing periodically.*

No rotten tomato throwing from me. I agree that young kids need an eye on them. I think it pretty unlikely that kids of that age could drown though, unless one of them suddenly had a seizure or something.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

No, I've been wondering where their parents are too. The kids managed to drag up a swimming pool, filling with water with the garden hose and changing into swim shorts without their parents' once checking on them? All of that had to take some time. They clearly aren't downstairs noticing water coming from the ceiling either. 

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, susannah said:

I think it pretty unlikely that kids of that age could drown though, unless one of them suddenly had a seizure or something.

A recent study in the journal Pediatrics, the most respected journal in the field of pediatrics, documented, for the first time, that shallow pool drownings are actually frighteningly frequent causes of infant and toddler deaths. Besides showing the obvious– that these drownings occur in young children, primarily in the summer months, and primarily at home, the authors also shed some very important light on these horrific scenes. It turns out that over half of these events take place when a child is either unsupervised, or has had a lapse in supervision. A lapse can be anything from the adult falling asleep, going into the house to answer the telephone, doing chores, or chatting with a friend. Another startling fact: fewer than 20% of adults instituted CPR on the child prior to arrival of an ambulance.

If the kids in this ad are not being properly supervised, I think the leaking ceiling is an  adult's fault.

That said, I know Geico is making light of the cause of the ceiling leak. But I'm not putting any blame on those kids, who are young enough to need supervision.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

Yes that is part of the show but I wouldn't say it's the whole show or all that it's about. 

13 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Sorry but I guess I must have missed some posts. What is KCF*H?? I'm guessing something I never watched.

I never watched it either, but it's Kevin Can F*ck Himself.

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Useful 2