Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, susannah said:

I'm not up on what GP is up to. I know she has that idiotic GOOP thing but is she also selling quack things, other than this Copper Fit, which I haven't seen? It's clear to me that so many ads must be regional, as I haven't seen or heard of so many mentioned here.

Most of the quackery she endorses is just on her GOOP website but she's talked out them on various talk shows so it ends up in the media.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

It makes me sad that Craig Robinson has to resort to doing Gain commercials, even if the idea of a Flashdance parody is sort of amusing. But what's worse is the opening lyric, "I'm a Gainiac, Gainiac, check my drawers," and then he sniffs his boxer shorts. Oh, Chris. How far you have fallen.

Who's Chris?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Chris Isaak?  The only person who should be allowed to sing "Wicked Games" and certainly not some karaoke night yogurt eater!

Gods yes. That Folgers coffee lady is back and I swear her voice cuts through me like a rusty chain saw.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

Chris Isaak?  The only person who should be allowed to sing "Wicked Games"

That is some song, isn't it? Just found it referenced in a recent book by Elizabeth George!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It makes me sad that Craig Robinson has to resort to doing Gain commercials, even if the idea of a Flashdance parody is sort of amusing. But what's worse is the opening lyric, "I'm a Gainiac, Gainiac, check my drawers," and then he sniffs his boxer shorts. Oh, Chris. How far you have fallen.

Hot Tub Time Machine wasn't all that lofty a height to fall from in the first place.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, madmax said:

The Kayak commercial where the daughter tells her boyfriend not to mention Kayak because apparently her mother is a Kayak conspiracy theorist or something.

REALLY hate that one, because conspiracy theorists are nothing to laugh at, especially now.

As soon as she says “open your EYES” complete with hand gestures I am really wishing for that invention mentioned above where you can punch people through the TV.  Good job, Kayak!  I will never ever use your service.

For this of us Of A Certain Age, you mention “Wicked Game” and we immediately think of the video.

• Love 7
On 1/18/2022 at 9:12 PM, madmax said:

The Kayak commercial where the daughter tells her boyfriend not to mention Kayak because apparently her mother is a Kayak conspiracy theorist or something.

REALLY hate that one, because conspiracy theorists are nothing to laugh at, especially now.

Conspiracy theorist?  Is that what she's supposed to be?   I came to vent about that commercial and was thrilled to see your post.  I intended to say that I didn't get it but thanks to you I do now.   It  is the dumbest commercial I've seen in a long time.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

As soon as she says “open your EYES” complete with hand gestures I am really wishing for that invention mentioned above where you can punch people through the TV.  Good job, Kayak!  I will never ever use your service.

I agree with you.  I feel like throwing something at the TV when I see it.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 4
On 1/19/2022 at 5:43 PM, mojoween said:

For this of us Of A Certain Age, you mention “Wicked Game” and we immediately think of the video.

Was that from the movie with Laura Dern, about some twisted kind of relationship?

On 1/19/2022 at 11:31 AM, iMonrey said:

It makes me sad that Craig Robinson has to resort to doing Gain commercials, even if the idea of a Flashdance parody is sort of amusing. But what's worse is the opening lyric, "I'm a Gainiac, Gainiac, check my drawers," and then he sniffs his boxer shorts. Oh, Craig. How far you have fallen.

I came to grouse about the Gainiac commercial but I'm always late to the party.  What demographic are they going for?   The 55-100 set who remember Flashdance and want to see a disgusting man sniff his underwear?  

I'm embarrassed to say I saw Flashdance in the theater (disclaimer: it was my date who chose the movie) and actually knew girls who butchered their sweats to get that ridiculous look.   But how many people doing laundry today can relate to that?  And of those, how many will feel compelled by dubious nostalgia to go buy a bottle of Gain?  If the point of the commercial is to keep the brand name in the public discourse, bravo -- Gain is now foremost in my mind as the detergent I will never buy.   Otherwise, a terrific fail.

• Love 9

When Gain first came out, they sent free samples via USPS to homes. We got one. It's "scent" was awful and awfully strong. After one load of smelly wash, Mom threw it away. I, myselef, have never used Gain and never will - I'm afraid of flashbacks to that awful smell.

• Useful 3
14 hours ago, millennium said:

I came to grouse about the Gainiac commercial but I'm always late to the party.  What demographic are they going for?   The 55-100 set who remember Flashdance and want to see a disgusting man sniff his underwear?  

I'm embarrassed to say I saw Flashdance in the theater (disclaimer: it was my date who chose the movie) and actually knew girls who butchered their sweats to get that ridiculous look.   But how many people doing laundry today can relate to that?  And of those, how many will feel compelled by dubious nostalgia to go buy a bottle of Gain?  If the point of the commercial is to keep the brand name in the public discourse, bravo -- Gain is now foremost in my mind as the detergent I will never buy.   Otherwise, a terrific fail.

well, i love the commercial, but not for the undie sniffing - they could have used a little different wording for that part.

i like the other guy who does the lean back in the chair with the bucket of water/clothes falling down on him.  and i love the music and loved the movie (yeah, i'm in the 55 - 100 range)

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
On 1/19/2022 at 8:41 PM, AnnA said:

Conspiracy theorist?  Is that what she's supposed to be?   I came to vent about that commercial and was thrilled to see your post.  I intended to say that I didn't get it but thanks to you I do now.   It  is the dumbest commercial I've seen in a long time.

I agree with you.  I feel like throwing something at the TV when I see it.

Have never understood why a company thinks it's good to roast part of their customer base. I'm moderate in most all issues, and even I know that a large percentage of the public accross all political and social spectrums (maybe most people?) have been accused lately of being a conspiracy theorist for one thing or another, and everyone thinks the science is on their side. Why would a business want to mock and alienate such a  large part of their clientele.

Maybe their business is getting too big for their own tastes and a trying to pare down their clientele.

1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Hopefully he's better at sex than he was as a quarterback for the Chicago Bears.

YOU WENT THERE!  Thank you.  Holy moly do people really stand around and discuss that they are having trouble getting a jonnybutch?

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Yeah, I really want to be bugged for sex more than I already am. 

This made me laugh!  Do I know you from 90 day?  If so, hi!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm sorry but I don't know what that is but HI! anyway.

Hi back!  Thought I saw your name in that thread.

1 hour ago, susannah said:

90 day sounds like it could be a rehab center! 😃

It is a dumpster fire of a show on TLC about the 90 Day fiance process.

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Can't stand the neugenx commercials for many reasons. But especially this one. It's so bad. 

I can't stand any of them probably because when they first started appearing, the guy talking it up slurred his words and I swear he was saying Eugenics.

• Love 9
18 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

YOU WENT THERE!  Thank you.  Holy moly do people really stand around and discuss that they are having trouble getting a jonnybutch?

No more so than did women discuss having troubles with their sanitary pads when Cathy Rigby would happen upon the scene and, to add to the coincidence, would openly carry the box of sanitary pads she pitched to them!

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

No more so than did women discuss having troubles with their sanitary pads when Cathy Rigby would happen upon the scene and, to add to the coincidence, would openly carry the box of sanitary pads she pitched to them!

...or those two women who would stroll around town, discussing douches all day long.

• LOL 10
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

I remember that commercial!!!  Cringe!

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

I had forgotten that one, I just know Amy Schumer's truckload of tampons she hauls around.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

...or those two women who would stroll around town, discussing douches all day long.

Or the mother and daughter on the boat.

”Mom, do you douche?”

”I sure do.  But only with vinegar and water.”

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 1/18/2022 at 7:43 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

That Gwyneth Paltrow will leave no quack product unturned.  She is exceeded only by Dr. Oz.

I absolutely agree with you ~ but I'm responding mostly to tell you how much I love your user name!  One of the funniest "Lucy" episodes!

• Love 4
12 hours ago, smittykins said:

Or the mother and daughter on the boat.

”Mom, do you douche?”

”I sure do.  But only with vinegar and water.”

It was on the beach but what struck me is that they had the dialogue without the slightest pauses or discomfort as though they were discussing their fave ice cream flavors. As I mentioned earlier about it, even Murphy Brown  said that she'd have NEVER had that convo with her own mother (as bombastic and intimidating both characters were).

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Blergh said:

It was on the beach but what struck me is that they had the dialogue without the slightest pauses or discomfort as though they were discussing their fave ice cream flavors. As I mentioned earlier about it, even Murphy Brown  said that she'd have NEVER had that convo with her own mother (as bombastic and intimidating both characters were).

Need a special emoji for this commercial.

7 hours ago, TeapotDiva said:

I absolutely agree with you ~ but I'm responding mostly to tell you how much I love your user name!  One of the funniest "Lucy" episodes!

I changed my name recently after watching the Ricardos movie! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 1/21/2022 at 10:29 PM, nokat said:

That commercial for Lumebits. Because women need to be told they stink.

The commercial with the create of Lume pisses me off because she claims to by a gynecologist who created it because "doctors were overdiagnosing and treating with antibiotics".  No, honey, if your "private parts" have an unusual smell, it's most likely because you have an infection and need to be treated with antibiotics.  You don't need deodorant for your va-jay-jay.

Plus, the whole thing with putting her hand over her mouth while she whispers "private parts".  UGH.

On 1/21/2022 at 10:18 PM, susannah said:

Are you sure "Wicked Game" wasn't from "Wild at Heart," with Laura Dern and Nicolas Cage?

It was in the movie but not written for it.

• Love 9

The more I hear that Jimmie Walker medicare ad (I refuse to WATCH it), the more I have come to believe it's all a joke.  He starts off with that cackle and then says, "Hi. It's me again..." and hits the ground running with his MUNNEYYEE and NAAAOOW. I think he believed this was just an extension of an outtake that happened right before the part that we see.  He thinks it's an outtake, so he does the most obnoxious stuff he can come up with. And then, much to his surprise and chagrin, they actually USED that footage. It was meant to be an outtake.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The more I hear that Jimmie Walker medicare ad (I refuse to WATCH it), the more I have come to believe it's all a joke.  He starts off with that cackle and then says, "Hi. It's me again..." and hits the ground running with his MUNNEYYEE and NAAAOOW. I think he believed this was just an extension of an outtake that happened right before the part that we see.  He thinks it's an outtake, so he does the most obnoxious stuff he can come up with. And then, much to his surprise and chagrin, they actually USED that footage. It was meant to be an outtake.

Dunno...just want him to go far, far away, never to be seen...or heard...again.

Edited by Kimmmmmm
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I saw the jimmie walker ad for the first time today, and all I can say that it is REALLY sad to see someone who hasn't been given a second though since he was, what, 20 years old? showing up as some old guy selling medicare insurance. I guess people will do most anything for a few bucks.

• Love 4

I saw an ad today that is up there on the gross meter. An ad for ED, and apparently, when the moment hits, people have to use all sorts of euphemisms to excuse themselves, which would be just stupid, not disgusting, except for the last couple, in which the woman is bleeped out and then she and the guy run off. Seriously, people have to drop whatever they are doing, no matter where they are, to go and have sex? Also, since the ad is for ED, why are the women after the guys?

• Love 3
On 1/21/2022 at 5:10 PM, millennium said:

I'm embarrassed to say I saw Flashdance in the theater (disclaimer: it was my date who chose the movie) and actually knew girls who butchered their sweats to get that ridiculous look.

Yeah it was a silly look but so are most fashion fads. I wouldn't say it was the worst ever!

• Love 4