Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

25 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

But the other thing I noticed was the same Walker/Namath video would have different phone numbers in the chyron below the video. ???

That helps them track which spots bring in the most calls.

• Useful 8
10 minutes ago, cynicat said:

That helps them track which spots bring in the most calls.

That makes sense. And it just occurred to me that those that aren't 800 numbers have the local exchange for where I live, so it's a local call. Now that's targeted marketing!

• Love 6

I despise the “Kevin, I made lasagna” commercial.  It’s totally obnoxious and doesn’t make me want to listen to Sirius. 

And why do so many commercials have people hopping around like they have poisonous spiders in their pants?  That woman in the Snuggle commercial looks like she’s having a grande mal seizure. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

I love the VO on the Duck Duck Go ads

Is this the stuff about "what cheese you eat and .... whatever you were searching for at 1:15am" stuff? I enjoy those as well. Of course I'm all in on the "Google knows what cheese I eat and I just don't care" train....

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

Of course I'm all in on the "Google knows what cheese I eat and I just don't care" train....

I used to be like that. Once I was having a Gmail discussion with a neighbor who teaches special needs kids. He'd had a particularly hard day & told me he was going to have a large glass of bourbon. We started discussing the virtues of premium bourbon. Next thing I know, I'm getting ads for Alcoholics Anonymous. So not only are they targeting their ads, they're being judgmental about it. Screw that.  I bought my own website for $15 a year to use the email address and now I use Duck Duck Go. The only thing I use google for is maps.

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I used to be like that. Once I was having a Gmail discussion with a neighbor who teaches special needs kids. He'd had a particularly hard day & told me he was going to have a large glass of bourbon. We started discussing the virtues of premium bourbon. Next thing I know, I'm getting ads for Alcoholics Anonymous. So not only are they targeting their ads, they're being judgmental about it. Screw that.  I bought my own website for $15 a year to use the email address and now I use Duck Duck Go. The only thing I use google for is maps.

Duck Duck Go is affiliated with both Apple and Google. It's hardly secure.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 2/2/2022 at 3:06 AM, Scout Finch said:

I can't stand the voiceover guy for the Gain commercials. Something about his delivery/tone annoys the hell out of me!

Is that Norm McDonald?  If so you won't have to worry much longer about it because he died last year.

15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I love the VO on the Duck Duck Go ads so much I can almost forget that what she's saying is unmitigated balls, bullshit and bollocks.

Is that Rosamund Pike?  It sounds like her.

I don't think people who use food delivery services are lazy, even if they choose to workout over cooking.  Both my kids do.  After working all day the last thing they want to do is shop or cook, so to have all the ingredients prepped is a godsend.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

Is that Norm McDonald?  If so you won't have to worry much longer about it because he died last year.

I don't think people who use food delivery services are lazy, even if they choose to workout over cooking.  Both my kids do.  After working all day the last thing they want to do is shop or cook, so to have all the ingredients prepped is a godsend.

No, it doesn't sound like Norm McDonald.

If I could afford a meal delivery service I would use one. I don't like cooking, especially for just myself. Although I did enjoy spoiling myself with full traditional dinners, albeit smaller portions, the last couple of years for Thanksgiving and Christmas!

Even before the pandemic I've had my groceries delivered about 90% of the time because I hate grocery shopping. Plus, I think I spend less ordering online because I end up getting several impulse items when I'm at the store!

• Love 4
On 2/2/2022 at 1:58 PM, janie jones said:

I started using a meal service almost 2 years ago because of the pandemic. First, it was hard to find food in the stores, and second, I was limiting my exposure to communicable diseases. Other than stores having better stocked shelves, sometimes, not always, not much has changed. I have no problem with ads for meal services.

My issue is not the actual service itself as there are individuals in situations such as yourself where it's a boon.  I just find the actual people they have in the ad to come across as just too lazy to shop (which is fine on those days you just don't feel like it).  I rank them up there with the Chime "I go into work on Wednesday and am, like, haha....I've already gotten paid!" girl

If the Lume commercial featuring the girl confidently spread eagling in yoga class because she doesn't have to worry about "stinky crevices", now there's one with the lady doctor who invented Lume via a FaceTime closeup that you can count the hairs up her nose!

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

Plus, I think I spend less ordering online because I end up getting several impulse items when I'm at the store!

So true. The impulse items will kill you, and I don't know anyone who can resist the temptation all the time.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ctlady said:

My issue is not the actual service itself as there are individuals in situations such as yourself where it's a boon.  I just find the actual people they have in the ad to come across as just too lazy to shop (which is fine on those days you just don't feel like it).  

I “just don’t feel like it” on any day. Food shopping is annoying and time consuming and I have more than enough stuff to do for my household to be bothered with a chore I hate! Why that’s the one I hate, I don’t know. But I’d rather clean a bathroom or scrub the kitchen than do it!

• Love 4

I will gladly do your grocery shopping in return for bathroom cleaning, TattleTeeny!

I'm still seeing those Tom Brady ads for Hertz electric cars, which I suppose works out since I already had a grudge against the company.

• Love 6
On 2/2/2022 at 4:59 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

This made me laugh out loud as I, too, teach kids with special needs and no I don't drink bourbon but some days.......and it is the general education kids with their very draining behaviors that make me.......eat chocolate.  Yeah let's call it that.  

On 2/3/2022 at 7:12 AM, Haleth said:

Thank you.  I was curious, but worried about the environmental concerns with packaging, plastic, etc.  That is not a concern anymore.  I do like to cook and bake but man, the prep!  I am just not going to make apricot siracha porkchops, fresh green beans and a caesar from scratch after work.  On a Saturday, maybe.

On 1/22/2022 at 2:44 PM, susannah said:

90 day sounds like it could be a rehab center! 😃

I should go to rehab for my addiction to that awful show!!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Thank you.  I was curious, but worried about the environmental concerns with packaging, plastic, etc.  That is not a concern anymore.  I do like to cook and bake but man, the prep!  I am just not going to make apricot siracha porkchops, fresh green beans and a caesar from scratch after work.  On a Saturday, maybe.

I love to cook and bake to but for me it's the clean up that I hate.

• Love 6
56 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I love to cook and bake to but for me it's the clean up that I hate.

I hate it all, but I'd rather do clean up than cook.

I used Hello Fresh for a while and I liked it, introduced me to some things I probably wouldn't have eaten and since they give you exactly what you need, I didn't have to buy a whole bunch of something and use a quarter of it, leaving the rest to go bad.  I dropped it when the pandemic hit.  Might go back to it once I have to go back in the office.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I am just not going to make apricot siracha porkchops, fresh green beans and a caesar from scratch after work.  On a Saturday, maybe.

That's when I do my big cooking, the weekends.  And then eat leftovers most of the week.  (Well, I'm not making apricot siracha anything, ever, but that's because siracha is too spicy for my wussy tongue.)  But those meal services are far more expensive than going to the store and buying ingredients for me.  I do cheat and buy pre-cut veggies at least some of the time, though.  However, I don't judge those who use meal services or shopping services.  I find them not generally worth the expense, but I'm sure there are things I spend money on that others would find unnecessary expenses. 

My objection is generally to the commercials, which I do find bland and boring at best and really annoying at worst.  (See the refrigerator thing in my previous comment on the HungryRoot commercial.)  There's one for some grocery service which tormented me on Tubi, involving hipsters ordering stuff and it falling out of the sky at them.  It was all in primary colors and had the stupidest music.  I can't remember the name of the company, though, so it obviously wasn't a very effective commercial.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

That's when I do my big cooking, the weekends.  And then eat leftovers most of the week.  (Well, I'm not making apricot siracha anything, ever, but that's because siracha is too spicy for my wussy tongue.)  But those meal services are far more expensive than going to the store and buying ingredients for me.  I do cheat and buy pre-cut veggies at least some of the time, though.  However, I don't judge those who use meal services or shopping services.  I find them not generally worth the expense, but I'm sure there are things I spend money on that others would find unnecessary expenses. 

My objection is generally to the commercials, which I do find bland and boring at best and really annoying at worst.  (See the refrigerator thing in my previous comment on the HungryRoot commercial.)  There's one for some grocery service which tormented me on Tubi, involving hipsters ordering stuff and it falling out of the sky at them.  It was all in primary colors and had the stupidest music.  I can't remember the name of the company, though, so it obviously wasn't a very effective commercial.

I need to see this HungryRoot commercial as apparently it is horrifying, lol.  Look as far as the poster who REALLY thinks able bodied people should shop, well.......I meet my bills, I have a 401K, blah blah blah......I can order what I want, lol!  Trust me, I am not lazy.  

• Love 8

There’s a very irresponsible commercial for Huggies where the baby is bouncing with an open cabinet door and then bouncing with an open drawer.  Everyone knows that many kids are seriously injured or killed by kitchen doors and especially open furniture drawers.   Very stupid commercial.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

What a pity that Purple Rose of Cairo is only a movie.

And what a pity that, because it was directed and produced by Mr. Allen, I won't be able to view it again until his demise despite Miss Farrow's rather amazing performance. 

Anyone else see that dog food commercial in which folks in their early 70's and their dogs are seen gallivanting about to Sonny and Cher's I Got You, Babe? Ah, the irony is that not only has Cher gotten to be older than Mr. Bono did but that, at age 75(!), she's now older than all the dog afficionados depicted in said commercial! Couldn't they have found any semi-energetic dog lovers in the late 70's or early 80's? 

• Love 1
On 2/2/2022 at 2:12 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

I just wish one of them would say, "I called to get them to stop running their ads."

I'm with you.  I hate those commercials.

Does anyone know why a Medicare benefit should be dependent on your zip code?  I'm not saying that it's not true but that it just seems wrong to me.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, AnnA said:

I'm with you.  I hate those commercials.

Does anyone know why a Medicare benefit should be dependent on your zip code?  I'm not saying that it's not true but that it just seems wrong to me.

I think it's because of what insurance plans are available in the area where they live. When you call the numbers shown, you get connected to an insurance agent.

I've noticed different insurance companies identified in the very fine print

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I think it's because of what insurance plans are available in the area where they live. When you call the numbers shown, you get connected to an insurance agent.

I've noticed different insurance companies identified in the very fine print

Yeah, I wasn't sure what one's zip code had to do with it either. They sure show those ads often enough!

15 hours ago, LegalParrot81 said:

7 or 8 times per program per channel. 

We were discussing the Hersheys commercial with the brothers in the Love thread.  I said how sick of it I was, despite it being a sweet (heh, pun) commercial.  It was on 3 times during the hour I was on the treadmill.  Every day.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Medical care is limited by what's available in the local area, especially the Advantage plans.   You also can't live in one state, and belong to a plan in another state.     That can cause issues with the Snow Bird crowd who live six months or so in another state.  

My grandparents were snowbirds. They lived half the year in Oregon and the other half in Arizona. That does seem like it would cause problems with residency requirements.

22 hours ago, Blergh said:

And what a pity that, because it was directed and produced by Mr. Allen, I won't be able to view it again until his demise despite Miss Farrow's rather amazing performance.

I wouldn't watch a Woody Allen movie if I was paid to. He is one of the most disgusting people ever. But why can't you watch it until after he dies?

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Medical care is limited by what's available in the local area, especially the Advantage plans. 

As I understand it, Medicare is Medicare-- any doctor who takes Medicare... takes Medicare. It's different for what all these ads are selling, which are Medicare Advantage (which is NOT Medicare, despite the name-- they are more like HMOs or PPOs). Supplemental plans (Medigap) may also be an issue for snowbirds, etc.

It bugs me that all those ads imply that there are special "Medicare" benefits you might not be getting. Yeah you don't get them unless you *leave* Medicare and join a Medicare Advantage program.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, dleighg said:

As I understand it, Medicare is Medicare-- any doctor who takes Medicare... takes Medicare. It's different for what all these ads are selling, which are Medicare Advantage (which is NOT Medicare, despite the name-- they are more like HMOs or PPOs). Supplemental plans (Medigap) may also be an issue for snowbirds, etc.

It bugs me that all those ads imply that there are special "Medicare" benefits you might not be getting. Yeah you don't get them unless you *leave* Medicare and join a Medicare Advantage program.

Those commercials are infuriating. Unless you know better, it's easy to be taken in and believe that these are government issued ads.

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Unless you know better, it's easy to be taken in and believe that these are government issued ads

you mean if you can't read the tiny type at the end (which is not spoken)?

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Those commercials are infuriating. Unless you know better, it's easy to be taken in and believe that these are government issued ads.

The ads use the exact colors of a Medicare ID card when they display text in order to reinforce the association, too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, susannah said:

I wouldn't watch a Woody Allen movie if I was paid to. He is one of the most disgusting people ever. But why can't you watch it until after he dies?

Because I'm not chancing contributing to his lifestyle while he's still breathing  even minutely! Viva Patron Power! 

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, Cara said:

The Jared Jewelry Store ads annoy me. I guess they are supposed to be touching and sentimental but they just make me roll my eyes. 

The one where the wife says she got sick soon after they got married, and tearfully tells how he came every day and helped her walk again. Really? If my husband didn't come to a hospital everyday he was able, I'd be filing divorce papers.

The other ad bugging me is the Dish commercial where the guy is looking for his glasses and his partner sees them on his head, and just tells him they must be somewhere. I know, ha, ha, but really, would I want that person to be the partner that I could trust to have my back? No.

• Love 16
On 2/4/2022 at 4:11 PM, KLovestoShop said:

There’s a very irresponsible commercial for Huggies where the baby is bouncing with an open cabinet door and then bouncing with an open drawer.  Everyone knows that many kids are seriously injured or killed by kitchen doors and especially open furniture drawers.   Very stupid commercial.  

Are you talking about the one with the baby wearing fake glasses and twerking? 

6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The one where the wife says she got sick soon after they got married, and tearfully tells how he came every day and helped her walk again. Really? If my husband didn't come to a hospital everyday he was able, I'd be filing divorce papers.

I know! "in sickness and in health" isn't supposed to be just jaw flapping!

4 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Are you talking about the one with the baby wearing fake glasses and twerking? 

He's dancing, not twerking. I know kids have been injured and killed by heavy furniture falling on them. I have never heard of any being hurt by a drawer.

Okay, I really REALLY want the BetterHelp commercials to either go away or change the approach.  Not only is the actor's/actress' smug "Really?" face at the end annoying, but the music that accompanies it seems a little too jaunty and cutesy for the topic of mental health.  I'm not saying ad agencies should go all dark and serious, but the ending facial expressions don't do anything to make viewers feel the compassion they should towards anyone they know going through these kinds of issues and how to respond and/or what to and not to say

• Love 4
On 2/4/2022 at 1:25 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

I need to see this HungryRoot commercial as apparently it is horrifying, lol.  Look as far as the poster who REALLY thinks able bodied people should shop, well.......I meet my bills, I have a 401K, blah blah blah......I can order what I want, lol!  Trust me, I am not lazy.  

I didn't say it was horrifying.  It shows fridges full of food, a lot of which appears to be fresh veggies.  Which is fine, unless there's only one person in the household.  If that is the case, then a lot of that fresh produce is probably going to go to waste, even if the person is more likely to use it than I am.  So it annoys me because at least one of the people we see talking doesn't refer to having family in the household.

I don't care if people like to use such services for whatever reason.  That's fine.  But I'm still allowed to be annoyed by the commercial.  That's the entire point of this thread: commercials which annoy us.

10 hours ago, susannah said:

I have never heard of any being hurt by a drawer.

Depends on what's in the drawer, I guess.

53 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

There's a commercial with all these people thanking Phil for their rockin' jobs. Who the heck is Phil?

I first saw this one during The Amazing Race and wondered why Phil was getting all these people jobs?  Doesn't he have enough on his plate?

• LOL 3
  • Love 9

I don't understand nor appreciate those idiots who buy Car Shield because it's a truism in life that the three things you can't avoid are death, taxes, and your car breaking down.

I've had Hondas since 1982 and not one of 'em has broken down (And in that span of years, there have only been THREE cars that I've owned - two Civics and a Fit since 2007.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
20 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't understand nor appreciate those idiots who buy Car Shield because it's a truism in life that the three things you can't avoid are death, taxes, and your car breaking down.

I've had Hondas since 1982 and not one of 'em has broken down (And in that span of years, there have only been THREE cars that I've owned - two Civics and a Fit since 2007.)

You must have been quite lucky then. I don't know how anyone can NOT expect that at some point, cars will need repair. All machines do. Why is someone who is realistic about that an "idiot?'

• Love 9