Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

47 minutes ago, susannah said:

I saw an ad today that is up there on the gross meter. An ad for ED, and apparently, when the moment hits, people have to use all sorts of euphemisms to excuse themselves, which would be just stupid, not disgusting, except for the last couple, in which the woman is bleeped out and then she and the guy run off. Seriously, people have to drop whatever they are doing, no matter where they are, to go and have sex? Also, since the ad is for ED, why are the women after the guys?

The couples using euphemisms are a bit annoying. The older couple at the end gets my seal of approval for their approach, though. I'm sorry you're getting a bleeped version because she turns to him and asks "Wanna do it?" and after a second of serious consideration he says "Ok." Full points for willing and able.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Dunno...just want him to go far, far away, never to be seen...or heard...again.

I'm sure you'd have gotten a hearty A-MEN from the late  Esther Rolle! 

Edited by Blergh
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

The commercial with the create of Lume pisses me off because she claims to by a gynecologist who created it because "doctors were overdiagnosing and treating with antibiotics".  No, honey, if your "private parts" have an unusual smell, it's most likely because you have an infection and need to be treated with antibiotics.  You don't need deodorant for your va-jay-jay.

Plus, the whole thing with putting her hand over her mouth while she whispers "private parts".  UGH.

Ugh, this twit.   I'm a board certified OBGYN!  I'm an Inventor!  I'm a CEO!   I hate to tell her but she doesn't exactly exude "mature person" in that commercial, much professional business person.   From the craptastic Zoom selfie video to the covering her mouth tee-heeing about lady parts, she comes off like some kid sister trying to ape her big brothers.  She seems more like a doctor suited for Cannonball Run.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 9

The commercial with the create of Lume pisses me off because she claims to by a gynecologist who created it because "doctors were overdiagnosing and treating with antibiotics".  No, honey, if your "private parts" have an unusual smell, it's most likely because you have an infection and need to be treated with antibiotics.  You don't need deodorant for your va-jay-jay.

Plus, the whole thing with putting her hand over her mouth while she whispers "private parts".  UGH.

I'm not sure I trust a gynecologist who can't talk openly about genitals.

Another doctor I'm not into is the person from the Nutrafol commercials. This is a little silly, but I hate the huge-ass ring she wears. I know she's not in an exam room needing to put on gloves at any minute, but it just seems very un-doctorly and unprofessional.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 11
5 minutes ago, susannah said:

Did she not like him?

Norman Lear has said she and John Amos were annoyed by him - they didn't like his role or the audience's love for it/the show's focus on it, but him being an untrained performer also meant they didn't much enjoy working with him.  He has said he virtually never talked to either one of them off set.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

If a shower doesn't take care of your smelly parts, you need actual medication, not slapping deodorant over a medical issue.

A real doctor whispering "private parts" with her had over her mouth?  Ridiculous!

• Love 10
On 1/22/2022 at 2:59 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

This made me laugh!  Do I know you from 90 day?  If so, hi!

Have I recently mentioned how much I hate (HATE!) seeing commercials for those garbage shows on the Science Channel? 

• Love 7
15 hours ago, dleighg said:

I saw the jimmie walker ad for the first time today, and all I can say that it is REALLY sad to see someone who hasn't been given a second though since he was, what, 20 years old? showing up as some old guy selling medicare insurance. I guess people will do most anything for a few bucks.

You mean like Joe Namath?  Dude.....are you broke?

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The more I hear that Jimmie Walker medicare ad (I refuse to WATCH it), the more I have come to believe it's all a joke.  He starts off with that cackle and then says, "Hi. It's me again..." and hits the ground running with his MUNNEYYEE and NAAAOOW. I think he believed this was just an extension of an outtake that happened right before the part that we see.  He thinks it's an outtake, so he does the most obnoxious stuff he can come up with. And then, much to his surprise and chagrin, they actually USED that footage. It was meant to be an outtake.

i hope so because this just points out why his career was limited to that one role. but wouldn't he have come out on twitter or something to say that's what happens?

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, cinsays said:

i hope so because this just points out why his career was limited to that one role. but wouldn't he have come out on twitter or something to say that's what happens?

That would presume that Mr. Walker actually knows what Twitter is and how to use it.

• LOL 7

Okay, I am going to hell but:  Shriners is back with the kids.  The little guy with the bow tie?  "Looking good!"  Ugh.  It just lays it on so thick!  And I am a special education teacher, mom, and usually very compassion person.  But where is the mute?

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

JJ Walker, Joe Namath...interesting choices to be the product spokespersons.  The little bit I recall from Advertising 101 says you choose a spokesperson your target audience recognizes, and finds credible. 
Hmm...I'm guessing Tom Hanks was not available. 🤑

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, grommit2 said:

JJ Walker, Joe Namath...interesting choices to be the product spokespersons.  The little bit I recall from Advertising 101 says you choose a spokesperson your target audience recognizes, and finds credible. 

JJ and Joe are recognizable to the target audience.  Credible? 🤔

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, grommit2 said:

Tom Hanks has too much integrity to shill for that crap.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
26 minutes ago, grommit2 said:

Joe Namath used to be THE person for celebrity advertising, back in the 70s. He was the original sports tv icon spokesman. And now I'm sure he is desperate for any work.  So that one I can see, credible or not.  It's Joe freakin Namath!  

JJ walker.....not so dyno mite 

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Joe Namath used to be THE person for celebrity advertising, back in the 70s. He was the original sports tv icon spokesman. And now I'm sure he is desperate for any work.  So that one I can see, credible or not.  It's Joe freakin Namath!  

JJ walker.....not so dyno mite 

Take it off. Take it allll off.

image.png.a3dd8028d6b41d1b006fff53ce2f0fb1.png

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Okay, I am going to hell but:  Shriners is back with the kids.  The little guy with the bow tie?  "Looking good!"  Ugh.  It just lays it on so thick!  And I am a special education teacher, mom, and usually very compassion person.  But where is the mute?

I totally agree. I cannot understand anything that kid says except, "Hi, people."  And Alec looking at an old clip of himself and saying, "Gee, I was a really cute kid."  No. No, Alec, you weren't. You've always been goofy-looking. I don't hold that against you, but you bragging that you were really cute?  Not happening, dude.  (I'll be bringing snacks for those of us going to hell...)

• LOL 9
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I totally agree. I cannot understand anything that kid says except, "Hi, people."  And Alec looking at an old clip of himself and saying, "Gee, I was a really cute kid."  No. No, Alec, you weren't. You've always been goofy-looking. I don't hold that against you, but you bragging that you were really cute?  Not happening, dude.  (I'll be bringing snacks for those of us going to hell...)

If you're bringing salty snacks, I'll bring the beer. Gotta have it. Hell's hot.

Edited by CoderLady
  • LOL 14

If you're bringing salty snacks, I'll bring the beer. Gotta have it. Hell's hot.

I'll bring Champagne on ice, for those with a more discriminating palate. I don't mind those kids really but little Caleb has such a high pitched voice, he sets all the dogs in my neighborhood to barking.

• LOL 11

I don't understand blaming the spokespersons for the commercials they're in. If the companies offered me as much money as they pay those people, hell yes I'd be on your screens extolling the wonders of Whoosh Laxative and explaining how sugary soft drinks make me a better athlete. Especially if I was one of those quasi-celebs whose last paying gig was 7 Presidents ago. 

Now HATING the spokesperson is a whole other and entirely legitimate thing. I've always violently despised JJ Walker, but if he can pay his bills now, more power to him. I sure wouldn't buy anything on his recommendation, though. Anyway, that's why I watch tv with the remote control in my hand.

• Love 12
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'll bring Champagne on ice, for those with a more discriminating palate. I don't mind those kids really but little Caleb has such a high pitched voice, he sets all the dogs in my neighborhood to barking.

I will bring a Yeti cooler and A LOT of ice.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
On 1/24/2022 at 5:39 PM, Suzn said:

If a shower doesn't take care of your smelly parts, you need actual medication, not slapping deodorant over a medical issue.

A real doctor whispering "private parts" with her had over her mouth?  Ridiculous!

Hey, at least she's not saying 'that skin' like the woman in another ad. While making tiger claws at the mirror for some reason.

• LOL 8
19 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Have I recently mentioned how much I hate (HATE!) seeing commercials for those garbage shows on the Science Channel? 

Remember that episode of Star Trek the Next Generation where Captain Picard is assimilated by the Borg?  He gets rescued, but he's never quite rid of them.   He hears the Borg whispering in his mind even years later.

That's how it is with 90 Day Fiance.   I was used to be all-in on that show.  Told myself I was hate-watching, snarking on it, whatever enabled me to tune in for the latest antics of those awful, ugly people yet live with myself afterwards.   Then to my dismay I began to realize I was thinking about them even when the show wasn't on.   These beings I loathed.  They were in my head.  It was all very Nietzschean.  I had looked into the abyss and it had looked back and said "gotcha!"

I quit all the 90-Day shows cold-turkey during the lockdown.   Never went back.  My quality of life is much better now that I am light years out of that universe.   The only thing preventing me from forgetting the show entirely are those damn 90-Day commercials!  They're everywhere.   Promos too, on my Firestick.  I can't even browse the apps without a giant "90-Day Fiance: The Single Life" banner up top featuring no-neck sex tourist "Big Ed."   It's insidious.   99% of the time I can ignore them but occasionally my attention drifts and I catch myself thinking something like "I wonder what Syngin's up to these days."

Then it hits me: I'm not as free as I thought.

Edited by millennium
  • LOL 4
  • Love 9

Two couples are out at a restaurant, ordering from the menu. One of the guys says, "I'll have a salad," and his partner tells him that's a good choice. Then the talking shitbox walks up and starts talking shit samples to them and saying he's "non-invasive."  Excuse me, shitbox, you just interrupted their nice evening out to talk about colonoscopies.  That's pretty invasive in my book.

• LOL 9
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Hey, at least she's not saying 'that skin' like the woman in another ad. While making tiger claws at the mirror for some reason.

yeah, but that woman is not a real life doctor, so she's just playing a role.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I think there's a new kid who's their spokesperson. Why do these kids have such irritating voices?

4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Two couples are out at a restaurant, ordering from the menu. One of the guys says, "I'll have a salad," and his partner tells him that's a good choice. Then the talking shitbox walks up and starts talking shit samples to them and saying he's "non-invasive."  Excuse me, shitbox, you just interrupted their nice evening out to talk about colonoscopies.  That's pretty invasive in my book.

At least he didn't give them a demo! 

• LOL 5

There's a commercial with a woman sitting on a sofa wearing a fugly yellow fringed wrap.  The doorbell rings and she struts to the door like she's the shit on the runway.  It's the Grubhub guy who gasps at how she looks.  "I know, right?!   It's from Portugal!"  Lady, if you're going to shop for items from Portugal you need to learn Portuguese because the tag for that thing clearly had to say "tablecloth".      

• LOL 17

Can someone explain the reason for the older (I am 57) women dancing to the 80's club music for Gain?    I am not getting it.

8 hours ago, millennium said:

Remember that episode of Star Trek the Next Generation where Captain Picard is assimilated by the Borg?  He gets rescued, but he's never quite rid of them.   He hears the Borg whispering in his mind even years later.

That's how it is with 90 Day Fiance.   I was used to be all-in on that show.  Told myself I was hate-watching, snarking on it, whatever enabled me to tune in for the latest antics of those awful, ugly people yet live with myself afterwards.   Then to my dismay I began to realize I was thinking about them even when the show wasn't on.   These beings I loathed.  They were in my head.  It was all very Nietzschean.  I had looked into the abyss and it had looked back and said "gotcha!"

I quit all the 90-Day shows cold-turkey during the lockdown.   Never went back.  My quality of life is much better now that I am light years out of that universe.   The only thing preventing me from forgetting the show entirely are those damn 90-Day commercials!  They're everywhere.   Promos too, on my Firestick.  I can't even browse the apps without a giant "90-Day Fiance: The Single Life" banner up top featuring no-neck sex tourist "Big Ed."   It's insidious.   99% of the time I can ignore them but occasionally my attention drifts and I catch myself thinking something like "I wonder what Syngin's up to these days."

Then it hits me: I'm not as free as I thought.

Just get over to the 90 Day threads and accept it.  I will say I will not watch the Single Life.

29 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

At least he didn't give them a demo!

That reminds me of the ad for Pepto Bismal that has the singers/dancers singing "if you've got nausea, heartburn, indigestion, dia RHEA..." and they do little gestures for each one, pointing a stomach, chest, stomach... and then their hands start to move to the back side and they quickly switch camera angles. I do not need to have this visualized. Or even hinted at. Thank you.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
On 1/25/2022 at 8:59 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

You mean like Joe Namath?  Dude.....are you broke?

It's entirely possible that he's not rolling in the dough.

On 1/25/2022 at 11:59 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

I'm just glad those aren't ASPCA commercials when they pop up frequently on the channel I'm watching.

52 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Can someone explain the reason for the older (I am 57) women dancing to the 80's club music for Gain? 

Why not? I'm well over 50 and I dance to all kinds of music including 80s club music.  Gain?  Well I guess we're supposed to presume that the wonderful scent of Gain makes people want to dance.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm just glad those aren't ASPCA commercials when they pop up frequently on the channel I'm watching.

Why not? I'm well over 50 and I dance to all kinds of music including 80s club music.  Gain?  Well I guess we're supposed to presume that the wonderful scent of Gain makes people want to dance.

Okay that makes sense.  I am 57 so did not want to seem like I was anti getting older.  They just seem so random.  Maybe that is what they are going for, lol!

• Love 2

For your nightmares - a commercial for Lume has the product on a table next to an orange and some greenery.  I think we can assume that Lume is orange scented.  So if you catch a whiff of orange scent from someone, think about what you are smelling...

I have long been horrified by the entire line of Charmin bear commercials, but this last one was literally making me dry heave.

The kid bear was wiggling his bare itchy butt on various surfaces...including the fabric-covered sofa.

• Love 5

I love all those kids in the Shriners ads and love their upbeat attitudes In the face of all they are going/have gone through.  And I think Alex was a very cute kid. Throw all the rocks you want at me...I'm ready 😉

• Love 16
16 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

I love all those kids in the Shriners ads and love their upbeat attitudes In the face of all they are going/have gone through.  And I think Alex was a very cute kid. Throw all the rocks you want at me...I'm ready 😉

Not from me. 

• Love 10
20 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

I didn't mind them the first few dozen times they ran the commercials, but after having seen them as many times as I have, I just want the commercials to go away.

• Love 5

I read a claim years ago that he made more money from commercials/product endorsements than he ever did playing football.(Which I can believe, since athletes of his era didn’t earn anywhere near what they do now.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I read a claim years ago that he made more money from commercials/product endorsements than he ever did playing football.(Which I can believe, since athletes of his era didn’t earn anywhere near what they do now.)

I read somewhere that 75% of all pro NFL players are broke within five years of retirement.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Not from me. 

Nor me. Those kids work damn hard for every victory they can get, to do things others take for granted. I think Alex and Caleb are so cute, also.

34 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I read somewhere that 75% of all pro NFL players are broke within five years of retirement.

Broke and brain damaged. Is it worth it? It wouldn't be for me.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Mr. Google tells me Joe Namath's net worth is 25 million.  If somebody offered me easy money to do a commercial like that, I'd take it. Look at Martha - she did. 🤣

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

There was an ESPN 30 for 30 documentary called "Broke" about that topic (not just NFL players but ones from other sports as well). It was rather enlightening.

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, Popples said:

There was an ESPN 30 for 30 documentary called "Broke" about that topic (not just NFL players but ones from other sports as well). It was rather enlightening.

Well I guess as professional athletes are now making more money than God, IMO I don't feel too sorry for them if they blow it all after they retire.

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, susannah said:

Well I guess as professional athletes are now making more money than God,

The big name players and their enormous salaries get the most attention, obviously, but plenty of players make the league minimum, and most are somewhere in between.  Which is still big bucks, but it's also an incredibly short career in many sports (for example, not even 4 years in the NFL).  And for many of these players, a sports scholarship was their ticket to college, with being drafted lifting their entire family out of poverty when they're barely into adulthood.  As that documentary explored, it's very easy to grow broke only a few years into retirement (for a variety of reasons).

So if anyone achieved enough fame as an athlete to continue making money off their sports career as an advertising spokesperson for something, I can't complain about it unless it's for a totally heinous, bullshit product.  I think Joe Namath was one of the first and possibly the best at leveraging that (which was particularly smart back then, as the NFL didn't bring in anywhere near as much money as it does now, so the players didn't come close to earning what they do now).

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, susannah said:

Well I guess as professional athletes are now making more money than God, IMO I don't feel too sorry for them if they blow it all after they retire.

Well I have a lot of sympathy for the athletes I grew up watching because, for the most part, they didn't make tons of money.

• Love 6