Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, susannah said:

I know! "in sickness and in health" isn't supposed to be just jaw flapping!

He's dancing, not twerking. I know kids have been injured and killed by heavy furniture falling on them. I have never heard of any being hurt by a drawer.

There have been quite a few reports where kids were hurt by pulling on drawers and either they pulled the drawer completely out and having the drawer crush them, or when pulling on drawers, the entire cabinet tips over. 

• Love 8

Yeah, WTF is Phil?! Im so baffled! And I’m in Jersey, so I wondered if it was something to do with our governor, haha!

Fairlife milk: cereal is “more like cereal.” What?! The milk is “better” so the cereal is more like cereal?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 6
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Fairlife milk: cereal is “more like cereal.” What?! The milk is “better” so the cereal is more like cereal?

Isn't that amazing? How many people at the ad agency worked on that? How many people at Fairlife looked at the work in progress and said,"Yeah. That's the way we want to go. That's our message..." ?  How does shit like this get approved?  How STUPID is the average American?

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

How does shit like this get approved?  How STUPID is the average American?

Before an agency makes and releases a commercial, they test it with demographic consumer focus groups.  If it doesn't score well, they look for a new approach.  With that, I'll leave the second question to be answered by the reader.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

But a thing can’t be made to be more like the thing it already is by adding something! Can it? What do I even know? Also, I hate the sound of the cow licking its mouth in those Fairlife commercials too!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, cynicat said:

Before an agency makes and releases a commercial, they test it with demographic consumer focus groups.  If it doesn't score well, they look for a new approach.  With that, I'll leave the second question to be answered by the reader.

Almost 50 years ago, there was a commercial for a decaffeinated coffee, Maxwell maybe, where the man says to the woman - don't worry, it's decaffeinated. Woman says - de what? That pissed me off so much I wrote (pen to paper, put in mail) to the company complaining about it stereotyping women as not being able to understand big words, inferior intellect. I got a mailed response saying they were sorry I was offended, and that they had run it by focus groups. Too bad they didn't have me in their focus group.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10

Any commercial for Almond "milk". You can't milk an almond & they use so much water to grow (over 1 gallon per nut) that banning or better controlling their growth in California would solve the water crisis that happens every year and they are not a crop that is native.

• Love 13
59 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Any commercial for Almond "milk". You can't milk an almond & they use so much water to grow (over 1 gallon per nut) that banning or better controlling their growth in California would solve the water crisis that happens every year and they are not a crop that is native.

Is your complaint that they run ads for this stuff or that they refer to it as "milk" in the ads? If it's the latter, I'm not sure what else they're supposed to, since that's what it's called.

• Love 1

Is it an objection to the work “milk” being used for non-animal-derived stuff? I remember some kind of brouhaha about that a couple of years ago. But we have coconut milk and face cleansing milk and milk of magnesia and I don’t recall anyone being concerned with those. Eh, I don’t even care — other than the word “milk” sounds kind of gross to me.

EDIT: Does milk of magnesia have milk in it?! I don't think I have ever actually seen that product in my life! Also, typing "milk" so much reminded me of the dumbest thing I saw on Sesame Street when I was little, and which has apparently stuck with me!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I was hoping this one had gone the way of the dodo bird, but alas, no such luck.  The ad for some product (which I can’t even remember because the ad is so damned obnoxious) featuring a number of adults trying to communicate about lasagne.  The main word is “WHAT???!!” Repeated ad infinitum at the loudest volume possible.  Maybe I have less tolerance for screeching and screaming these days, but my gut reaction is to hit the mute as fast as possible to avoid the assault on my eardrums for no purpose whatsoever!

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Is your complaint that they run ads for this stuff or that they refer to it as "milk" in the ads? If it's the latter, I'm not sure what else they're supposed to, since that's what it's called.

For me, it's a combination of the fact that it's allowed to be called milk when it isn't, that it's terrible for the environment and that the commercial is annoying.

I also would choose avocados over almonds, although I like almonds.  Just not that crap they call almond "milk".

22 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Does milk of magnesia have milk in it?!

No.  It got that name because melted magnesia mixed with water looked like milk.

And yes, I also object to coconut milk, soy milk, oat milk, etc.; if it's not from a lactating animal, it's not milk.

• Love 9

Is it an objection to the work “milk” being used for non-animal-derived stuff? I remember some kind of brouhaha about that a couple of years ago. But we have coconut milk and face cleansing milk and milk of magnesia and I don’t recall anyone being concerned with those. Eh, I don’t even care — other than the word “milk” sounds kind of gross to me.

The dairy industry was pitching a fit about it a few years ago. Obviously nothing ever came of it.

• Love 3
On 2/7/2022 at 11:23 AM, mmecorday said:

There's a commercial with all these people thanking Phil for their rockin' jobs. Who the heck is Phil?

"Phil" is an AI tool on the ZipRecruiter site that scans your resume' and uses the information to assist you in finding a job. I unfortunately know this the hard way. So far Phil hasn't done shit for me. 

Anyway, it's a stupid thing to highlight on your commercial, because it seems the only people that would understand it, would be the people that are already using the website to try and find a job.

• Useful 6
  • Love 9

Back to commercials (and on the non-milk track), those Silk soy "milk" commercials with the chanting children drive me up the wall.  Idk if it's the repetition, the volume, or the squeakiness of children's voices, but whatever it is, it's really annoying.  And I hate the "Milk of the land" slogan.

This one drives me bonkers too. 

• Love 2

As if the Lume or "Welcome to my vagina!" ads didn't make me cringe enough, the Thinx Underwear commercial has to be Queen of the Cringefest.

How on earth can 1) they be more absorbent than a pad to prevent oopsies in bed and on pristine white furniture and 2) not having the soaked crotch of the undie not only press up against you, but seep through outside to stain what you're sitting on?  I think I just icked myself out with the visuals of typing those words, but I had no other less visual way to describe.

And I need to hear from some ladies - do you really mosey around the house in your undies - watering plants, watching tv on the couch, etc?

• LOL 3
  • Love 10

I do not mosey about without some kind of pants on, no. However, I can tell you that Thinx are a godsend and would have saved me years of discomfort had they always been a thing.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 1/24/2022 at 5:22 PM, dleighg said:

I saw the Jimmie Walker ad for the first time today, and all I can say that it is REALLY sad to see someone who hasn't been given a second though since he was, what, 20 years old? showing up as some old guy selling medicare insurance. I guess people will do most anything for a few bucks.

I haven't been paying attention to them until now, but have they always repeated the first few seconds of the commercial before he says "Monn-AY"? Until now, I thought he was saying it twice in the commercial. 

The topic of this thread is commercials that annoy, irritate or outright enrage.  Things that are not on topic include, but are not limited to:

• Road trips in Northern California
  • Amount of water used to grow almonds
  • Water usage comparisons for agriculture vs. urban environments
  • Anything else that is not specifically about commercials that annoy, irritate or outright enrage 

Many posts have been removed.
These topics can be discussed in Small Talk.

Also, the be civil policy is not a suggestion.  It is a mandate.  Watch your tone when responding to others.  This is not a battle royale where victory will be declared.  Alternate opinions can coexist. 

• Love 10
8 hours ago, OldStandard said:

I was hoping this one had gone the way of the dodo bird, but alas, no such luck.  The ad for some product (which I can’t even remember because the ad is so damned obnoxious) featuring a number of adults trying to communicate about lasagne.  The main word is “WHAT???!!” Repeated ad infinitum at the loudest volume possible.  Maybe I have less tolerance for screeching and screaming these days, but my gut reaction is to hit the mute as fast as possible to avoid the assault on my eardrums for no purpose whatsoever!

152D2B28-E618-4F71-89AC-817D5B3301E4.jpeg

• LOL 8
18 hours ago, OldStandard said:

I was hoping this one had gone the way of the dodo bird, but alas, no such luck.  The ad for some product (which I can’t even remember because the ad is so damned obnoxious) featuring a number of adults trying to communicate about lasagne.  The main word is “WHAT???!!”

Do you mean this one?  Dave Grohl can do no wrong in my opinion.  

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

What's the deal with all the sports betting and fantasy sports commercials?

some HUGE markets (New York State for one) just legalized sports betting via app. Thus we are inundated.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I don't care who they are; they are annoying as hell. If we had carried on like that in our house, Parents would have had more than "WHAT?" to say. There is no possible way that would make me want to listen to Sirius.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
58 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't care who they are; they are annoying as hell. If we had carried on like that in our house, Parents would have had more than "WHAT?" to say. There is no possible way that would make me want to listen to Sirius.

Why would middle aged people be living with their parents?

• Love 1

"I got a lot of advice about my abdominal pain, diarrhea, and constipation." Did you, now? "A lot." Really? Is this a common topic of conversation for you? How does this subject come up so often? 

"You want fries with that?" 
"No thanks, but what are your suggestions for runny stools?" 

This might be the funniest thing I've ever read here.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Why would middle aged people be living with their parents?

Or maybe the parents are living with the middle aged people? I wouldn't say that is uncommon at all, as parents get older and could have health issues.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Haleth said:

I love Kevin Hart's delivery on "You stepped in what?"  And Grohl's on his final, frustrated "What?!"

I could do without seeing Brett Favre, and had to look up who the woman is (Kehlani - apparently, she's a singer), but it made me laugh.

• Love 2

I hate commercials with "people doing terrible things because we think it's cute."

One is the orange juice commercial in which an elderly man is removing snow and an asshole kid hits him in the head with a snowball and runs away.

The other is DoorDash where the guy is feeding his poor dog fast food all day long, which is guaranteed to put the dog in his grave sooner rather than later.    

• Love 5
1 hour ago, PamPamPam said:

One is the orange juice commercial in which an elderly man is removing snow and an asshole kid hits him in the head with a snowball and runs away.

I haven't seen that one, but that is awful! I can't imagine what that would have to do with orange juice either.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, susannah said:

I haven't seen that one, but that is awful! I can't imagine what that would have to do with orange juice either.

I haven't seen that one either and from the sound of it, I don't want to!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, PamPamPam said:

If I'm thinking of the same commercial he is not elderly.  But it would have been better if he started throwing snowballs back at the kid.

On 2/9/2022 at 8:39 AM, Gharlane said:

What's the deal with all the sports betting and fantasy sports commercials? 

They are really pushing it like a drug 

it's going to ruin a lot of people, financially, I fear 

• Love 9
19 hours ago, PamPamPam said:

I hate commercials with "people doing terrible things because we think it's cute."

The other is DoorDash where the guy is feeding his poor dog fast food all day long, which is guaranteed to put the dog in his grave sooner rather than later.    

I don't think those two are terrible things. I mean, I've seen worse than kids being childish.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I don't think those two are terrible things. I mean, I've seen worse than kids being childish.

As I said, I haven't seen the ad, but a kid hitting an older neighbor in the head with a snowball is not being "childish," it is being rude and disrespectful. Kids shouldn't get passes for wrong behavior because they are kids. I still would like to know what the scenario would have to do with orange juice!

• Love 9
On 1/3/2022 at 7:45 PM, madmax said:

The one I've been seeing a lot is the Magnolia Network commercial where the mother is breaking thru her daughter's wall.  the end "You're right, he's cute," was not only gross, but really stupid.  Mom would let her just take a boy to her room without meeting him?

I really dislike that ad too, with the mother breaking through the wall. I wouldn't think the girl should be taking the boy to her room at all, let alone finding them all cuddled up on her bed. I just wonder why people are so anxious to be on tv that they will appear in these stupid ads, of which there are so many!

• Love 1
On 1/10/2022 at 11:18 AM, SG429 said:

Disgusted that the owners of the Cheers theme song licensed it to Applebee's, the diametric opposite of Cheers. I charge them with a crime against Must See TV.

I'm late I know.  I'm just happy they didn't have to use a cover version of it.  Every single commercial these days thinks that marketing = using a TERRIBLE cover of well-known song as a back drop.  It outright outrages me.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, susannah said:

I still would like to know what the scenario would have to do with orange juice!

I just looked it up.  The storyline is dude is miserable in the snow (he's shoveling, a bunch of it falls off the roof onto his face, a kid throws a snowball when his back is turned), but he can still "sip his sunshine" by drinking a glass of Tropicana.  His face while doing so is pretty funny:

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I just looked it up.  The storyline is dude is miserable in the snow (he's shoveling, a bunch of it falls off the roof onto his face, a kid throws a snowball when his back is turned), but he can still "sip his sunshine" by drinking a glass of Tropicana.  His face while doing so is pretty funny:

I see! he's having a morning where it wasn't worth getting out of bed! His expression while sipping his oj is funny, I agree.

18 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I don't see that as as one where a kid is getting away with doing something bad because it's cutesy. I think he's supposed to be a brat.

Exactly - he's part of the guy's bad morning.

• Love 10