Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Subaru is an official partner with the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals).

Subaru Share the Love

It's not just a gimmick used in Subaru's commercials.

If they are truly invested in preventing animal cruelty, they need never to use them in their ads. Animals aren't props and it is abuse to use them for entertainment and/or profit.

26 minutes ago, susannah said:

I believe that saying that them having milkshakes "wasn't smart" due to the levels of obesity and diabetes in other people,  was pretty much saying they, or anyone, shouldn't do it.

I questioned whether the old woman in the commercial having TWO milkshakes at a time was smart.  I get that gluttony's a big thing in our culture.  I'm surprised it isn't constitutionally protected.   The Subaru commercial was followed by an iHOP spot in which it appeared the guy in the commercial was racing through a platter of pancakes so he could start in on the order of double cheeseburger and fries next to his plate.   I wouldn't call that smart, either.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 6

I absolutely hate the Lens Crafter commercial where Sharon Stone says “Like I’m the most fabulous thing you’ve ever seen?”  Gimme a break.

Dominos really picked the worst time to have their $3 tip promotion.  It tales more than $3 to get me to the closest Dominos, with the price of gas. Bad bit of luck for them.  

• Love 7
1 minute ago, KLovestoShop said:

I absolutely hate the Lens Crafter commercial where Sharon Stone says “Like I’m the most fabulous thing you’ve ever seen?”  Gimme a break.

Dominos really picked the worst time to have their $3 tip promotion.  It tales more than $3 to get me to the closest Dominos, with the price of gas. Bad bit of luck for them.  

Dominos has this $3 tip promo because they are no longer making deliveries, at least for the time being.  They've run into a labor shortage because of Covid and so they discontinued their trademark delivery service.  They have pick up only now.  And now the gas prices are sky high!  Uber has started a gas surchase for their Uber Eats delivery as well as the Uber rideshares.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, millennium said:

I questioned whether the old woman in the commercial having TWO milkshakes at a time was smart.  I get that gluttony's a big thing in our culture.  I'm surprised it isn't constitutionally protected.   The Subaru commercial was followed by an iHOP spot in which it appeared the guy in the commercial was racing through a platter of pancakes so he could start in on the order of double cheeseburger and fries next to his plate.   I wouldn't call that smart, either.

I guess I figure what other people eat or do is not my business. Whether a person has two milkshakes is their business, not mine, and no one knows their circumstances. I believe the original comment was about the Subaru ad, not IHOP's.

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, susannah said:

I guess I figure what other people eat or do is not my business. Whether a person has two milkshakes is their business, not mine, and no one knows their circumstances. I believe the original comment was about the Subaru ad, not IHOP's.

Well, Grandma's in a commercial, so she's not real.  She's a marketing tool with a human face.   So I'm not actually inserting myself into anybody's business other than Subaru Corporation who apparently thinks its endearing to show an old woman gorging herself on two milkshakes and running up to handsome strangers at rest stops to find dates for her granddaughter (Ted Bundy was said to be attractive, too).  Subaru put that message out for public consumption.   I'm just saying it left a bad taste in my mouth, for reasons I stated in my original post.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, millennium said:

Well, Grandma's in a commercial, so she's not real.  She's a marketing tool with a human face.   So I'm not actually inserting myself into anybody's business other than Subaru Corporation who apparently thinks its endearing to show an old woman gorging herself on two milkshakes and running up to handsome strangers at rest stops to find dates for her granddaughter (Ted Bundy was said to be attractive, too).  Subaru put that message out for public consumption.   I'm just saying it left a bad taste in my mouth, for reasons I stated in my original post.

I am not addressing the getting the stranger's phone number, and I have no problem seeing an old lady having one or two milkshakes on an outing with her granddaughter. What people choose to eat or do in reality,regardless of what they see on tv, is on them.

8 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Oh, is that who that old woman was? 🤣

8 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Dominos has this $3 tip promo because they are no longer making deliveries, at least for the time being.  They've run into a labor shortage because of Covid and so they discontinued their trademark delivery service.  They have pick up only now. 

I heard the promo was meant to alleviate their lack of delivery people, but I never heard they quit deliveries totally.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, millennium said:

The way she asks for two milkshakes makes it sound like it's a treat, and doing that once in awhile isn't going to make anyone fat or diabetic.  I think it's a cute commercial.

2 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I heard the promo was meant to alleviate their lack of delivery people, but I never heard they quit deliveries totally.

Encouraging people to pick up their pizzas certainly cuts down on the need for drivers.

• Love 6

The Subaru commercial was followed by an iHOP spot in which it appeared the guy in the commercial was racing through a platter of pancakes so he could start in on the order of double cheeseburger and fries next to his plate.   I wouldn't call that smart, either.

The ones that kill me are IHoP's pancake's with chocolate chips, whipped cream and all kinds of other sugary crap all over them. Hell, why not just get a big old Toblerone or 2 milkshakes? The effect on your body would be the same.

• Love 8

That Domino's "We'll tip you $3 to pick up your own pizza..."  They may be doing their drivers a disservice - when they're back to full capacity, people will ONLY tip them $3. Some folks usually tip more...but Domino's doesn't think it's worth more than $3. Jerks.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That Domino's "We'll tip you $3 to pick up your own pizza..."  They may be doing their drivers a disservice - when they're back to full capacity, people will ONLY tip them $3. Some folks usually tip more...but Domino's doesn't think it's worth more than $3. Jerks.

I always tip at least 20%.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, susannah said:

I only saw him once or twice on WKRP, but I think he also played a pedophile predator on that show with Tahj Mowry. I forget what it was called. He always just looked creepy to me Not someone you would want fixing your appliances!

I did a little digging, because I assumed you meant the show Smart Guy--which I used to LOVE to watch on the Disney Channel, as a kid, and had totally forgotten about that episode.  And it turns out the child predator in that episode (titled "Strangers on the Net") was not played by Gordon Jump, but by an actor named Jim Fyfe.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, susannah said:

Thank you! My point exactly.

Thanks! I apologize for my error.

Oh my gosh, no need to apologize!  I just got curious because I'd kind of forgotten about that show.  Thanks for the reminder 🙂

• Love 2
22 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Whoops.  I thought Lens Crafter had hired someone who would remind the viewer of Sharon Stone.  I didn't realize it was really her.  Yikes.  How the mighty have fallen.  I wondered why the salesperson was so awestruck by a wannabe Sharon Stone.  

• Love 6
11 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Nooooooooo, it’s back — the stupid ass Reese’s “chicken or egg” commercial, where the horrible narrator says “PEEnit BUHter”! 

Will Arnett

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

Whoops.  I thought Lens Crafter had hired someone who would remind the viewer of Sharon Stone.  I didn't realize it was really her.  Yikes.  How the mighty have fallen.  I wondered why the salesperson was so awestruck by a wannabe Sharon Stone.  

She has never fully recovered from her stroke in 2001.

6 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

And you can hear it in her speech. That's actually how I figured out that it was really her and not some doppelgänger. Honestly, I think she looks pretty good in that ad. She's a 64-year-old stroke survivor. Go on, Sharon!

• Love 15
7 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

I don't follow celebrities or see many movies. I did not know this about her before. God bless her and I hope she continues to heal and is able to work!

• Love 7

IMDb shows her working pretty steadily, although she does play herself a fair bit.

I've only caught the very end of the LensCrafters commercial, but I recognized her immediately.

• Love 1
On 3/14/2022 at 1:38 PM, dgpolo said:

A commercial that's been bugging me a bit, not up to levels of irritation but...

It's the Dish Network ad where the Mom is listening to the weather and it gets so bad she is ordering everyone into the basement whereupon her young son goes running out the door.

Next scene is them all in the basement, with their 3 dogs, when Dad comes in.

1. If the weather is that bad that you're keeping track of warnings why aren't your dogs already in the house

2. It's a very bad idea for young children to go running outside if the weather is bad enough to send you to the basement. I kept waiting for some kind of disclaimer but nope.

But they still have tv to watch.

• LOL 1

This couple annoys the bejesus out of me! I am not even sure why, exactly—maybe the way they’re acting like ordinary things are unique requests (ie, “ooh, bacon!”)!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
On 3/15/2022 at 11:21 PM, Phebemarie said:

I wondered why the salesperson was so awestruck by a wannabe Sharon Stone. 

Maybe he was awestruck because he saw through Captain Slotostar's secret identity.  

Hmm, I know her from somewhere but I just can't put my finger on it -- finger?  OMG!

• LOL 4

I want to slap the tall brunette woman with a huge overbite who's popped up in several ads lately. She was in that annoying one for Sling where a waitress slips and falls and Overbite acts like she's a doctor because she watches medical melodramas on TV ('her kidneys are still beating!'). She's now in one for Spectrum (I think) where she's a bridesmaid who tells the bride she can back out any time on her Spectrum deal, unlike her marriage. Ugh.

Speaking of bridesmaids, why on earth is the fat bridesmaid thinking about HomeGoods while the bouquet is being thrown?

• Love 5

Speaking of bridesmaids, why on earth is the fat bridesmaid thinking about HomeGoods while the bouquet is being thrown?

Like, is everyone standing around waiting for the bride to throw the bouquet? That would be rude as fuck.

• Love 2

I've been a bridesmaid, and if I could have been at HomeGoods instead, I'd have been having a much better time.  Whatever happy place she needs to get through it, especially if she has to endure a stupid bouquet toss on top of everything else.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I've been a bridesmaid, and if I could have been at HomeGoods instead, I'd have been having a much better time.  Whatever happy place she needs to get through it, especially if she has to endure a stupid bouquet toss on top of everything else.

No matter how antiquated, sexist and just plain stupid I find the bouquet toss, I still wouldn't interrupt the bride.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

No matter how antiquated, sexist and just plain stupid I find the bouquet toss, I still wouldn't interrupt the bride.

Is there a longer version of the commercial?  In the one I looked up, there's no interrupting, she's just standing there - where she's supposed to be, among the other bridesmaids, who are jumping up and down like idiots next to her while she politely claps - lost in thought while the bride prepares to toss it.  The bouquet lands in daydreaming bridesmaid's hands, she's happily snapped out of her daydream, the end. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Is there a longer version of the commercial?  In the one I looked up, there's no interrupting, she's just standing there - where she's supposed to be, among the other bridesmaids, who are jumping up and down like idiots next to her while she politely claps - lost in thought while the bride prepares to toss it.  The bouquet lands in daydreaming bridesmaid's hands, she's happily snapped out of her daydream, the end. 

Yeah, I just remember her just standing there. It wasn't until  sempervivum pointed out that it was during the bouquet toss that I even noticed. I originally thought the brunette was talking to her while she was waiting to walk down the aisle.

14 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I originally thought the brunette was talking to her while she was waiting to walk down the aisle.

I think that's a different commercial - the one for Amazon Prime, blue bridesmaid dresses.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, sempervivum said:

She's now in one for Spectrum (I think) where she's a bridesmaid who tells the bride she can back out any time on her Spectrum deal, unlike her marriage. Ugh.

I don't know if there are two similar commercials or you are wrong about who its from, but I keep seeing one for Amazon Prime that annoys the fuck out of me because I get the impression she's passive aggressively trying to convince the bride to bail on her wedding moments before she's walking down the aisle. 

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/bYkz/amazon-subscribe-and-save-wedding

Edited by Gharlane
Added commercial.
  • Love 9
5 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

I get the impression she's passive aggressively trying to convince the bride to bail on her wedding moments before she's walking down the aisle. 

I definitely think that is the intended implication. She ends with "no one will judge you."

As if anyone would judge you for cancelling your recurring Amazon order.

• Love 9
On 1/19/2022 at 10:31 AM, iMonrey said:

It makes me sad that Craig Robinson has to resort to doing Gain commercials, even if the idea of a Flashdance parody is sort of amusing. But what's worse is the opening lyric, "I'm a Gainiac, Gainiac, check my drawers," and then he sniffs his boxer shorts. Oh, Craig. How far you have fallen.

The "check my drawers" part is gross but I love the rest of it.  The heavyset woman who dances right after him, but especially the older Asian man at the laundromat that does the full-on Jennifer Beals stretch/arch on the chair as Craig throws (hopefully clean) laundry onto him.

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, blackwing said:

The "check my drawers" part is gross but I love the rest of it.  The heavyset woman who dances right after him, but especially the older Asian man at the laundromat that does the full-on Jennifer Beals stretch/arch on the chair as Craig throws (hopefully clean) laundry onto him.

totally agree

they could easily have come up with another lyric and action for that part

• Love 3
On 3/15/2022 at 6:34 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Nooooooooo, it’s back — the stupid ass Reese’s “chicken or egg” commercial, where the horrible narrator says “PEEnit BUHter”! 

The narrator needs to go to their Skippy place

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 3/12/2022 at 7:38 AM, chessiegal said:

Occasionally I watch The Rockford Files on GetTV. It has started to feel like an hour-long Car Shield commercial with a few minutes of the show sprinkled in here and there. 😠

On 3/12/2022 at 10:18 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Good tie-in with all those obligatory car chase scenes. EVERY damn episode had a car chase.

Going to Small Talk.

• Love 1
On 3/14/2022 at 8:25 PM, CrystalBlue said:

The dogs are working actors and as such have professional dog handlers and are protected by humane societies who are on scene during the filming of commercials (and TV shows, movies) and animal protection laws.  They are not being used cruelly or abused.  If anyone knows about animal abuse it's the ASPCA.  Perhaps you don't like Subaru or ASPCA commercials but there is nothing illegal or immoral about the inclusion of animals in them.

Animals cannot consent to "work," and are at the mercy of whoever is using them. Yes there may be people from humane societies on set but that doesn't change the fact that the animals are forced to do what people want them to do, for money. Animals are living creatures and should be respected as such. It's the same situation with child actors, who also cannot consent to working, and are forced to do what the studios want them to do. There might be child protection people on set but that doesn't keep from being abused and used.

On 3/8/2022 at 11:43 PM, Bastet said:

"We Americans care about our country" was the most egregious, but, yeah, that's an all-around awful commercial for stoking political fervor in service of ... what, that great American tradition of extended warranties, which generally cost more in premiums than they pay out in benefits, especially when it comes to cars?  Piss off, CarShield.

And stop calling us!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, susannah said:

Animals cannot consent to "work," and are at the mercy of whoever is using them. Yes there may be people from humane societies on set but that doesn't change the fact that the animals are forced to do what people want them to do, for money. Animals are living creatures and should be respected as such. It's the same situation with child actors, who also cannot consent to working, and are forced to do what the studios want them to do. There might be child protection people on set but that doesn't keep from being abused and used.

Taking to Small Talk.