Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 12/22/2021 at 5:23 PM, Mrs. Landingham said:

That was weird to me, too. I could see him being in the house in his underwear, but walking outdoors? Ew. Speaking of such things, that Folgers commercial with the guy wearing a shirt, tie, and jacket but no pants who gets embarrassed because he realizes his colleagues on Zoom can see his bare legs. Look, even if I’m not wearing my actual work/dress pants on a Zoom work call, I am still wearing some kind of pants.

Besides, that early Covid era joke is now way old. 

• Love 9
17 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdcElQTd8gM

What the heck is this? Why are they yetis? I like the song though. 

I actually had to watch the commercial to figure it out (I rarely watch - usually FF thru).  The message is that while you think you are renting to monsters - they are really just a regular family who enjoy games, hiking, etc.  When they close the door at the end they transform into humans.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Besides, that early Covid era joke is now way old. 

I agree. Enough with the "Oh look, I don't have to wear pants, ever," is WAY old. Coronavirus or not, get dressed!

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, bkathi said:

I actually had to watch the commercial to figure it out (I rarely watch - usually FF thru).  The message is that while you think you are renting to monsters - they are really just a regular family who enjoy games, hiking, etc.  When they close the door at the end they transform into humans.  

Thank you. You did what I really wanted, which was to tell me why they were yetis. It makes sense now. I was so thrown by it all I couldn't make sense of it. 

58 minutes ago, susannah said:

I agree. Enough with the "Oh look, I don't have to wear pants, ever," is WAY old. Coronavirus or not, get dressed!

It is way old yes, as a premise for a commercial. Even a step further, do people doing Zoom meetings even have to pretend that they are in a boardroom together? Do they really have to wear jacket, shirt and tie; as if they aren't really just at home on Zoom? 

Seems to me everyone should just wear a neat clean shirt. Everyone knows what's going on. And their sweatpants. If they are glimpsed, everyone can chuckle over it.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, susannah said:

Why? I was on a Zoom meeting yesterday. Yoga pants on the bottom, dressy top. Might as well be comfortable.

But the trope is getting old.

2 minutes ago, TVMovieBuff said:

Give me a hotel. I don't have to make the bed, or straighten up as I am leaving. 

We were in a hotel, one we've stayed at many times, for the first time in almost 3 years. Hampton Inn - they no longer clean your room every day unless you request it, giving them 24-hour notice.

• Love 4

We were in a hotel, one we've stayed at many times, for the first time in almost 3 years. Hampton Inn - they no longer clean your room every day unless you request it, giving them 24-hour notice.

Hotels are having a terrible time right now. Between the pandemic, the labor crisis and supply chain issues they are struggling. People don't want to work with the public right now, where there is a chance you could get stabbed, shot or simply verbally attacked just for implementing company Covid policy, designed to keep everyone safe. Not to mention living on crap wages for dealing with the above. Thus many hotels have cut back on some amenities.

• Useful 2
  • Love 16
On 12/14/2021 at 2:48 PM, Deskisamess said:

Can McCormick Spices please stop showing people cooking with a baby strapped to their fronts? The new one has her spilling a teaspoon of some spice on the baby's head, and blowing it away.

Any spice would burn the eyes like crazy. Red pepper, cinnamon, salt, it's just so wrong. Last year the gal cooking was putting stuff in boiling water, with a baby strapped on her front right over the flippin stove.

My 10 year old (at the time, now 42) was burned by boiling water in the kitchen. So commercials like this make me cringe.

I was burned with boiling water at 5, It was an accident I was trying to close the door and the handle was in the way and I got burns from head to legs. I was in the hospital for 6 weeks, I also had pneumonia at the time. The worse burns were on my hip and they had to do a skin graft from thigh.

22 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

I was burned with boiling water at 5, It was an accident I was trying to close the door and the handle was in the way and I got burns from head to legs. I was in the hospital for 6 weeks, I also had pneumonia at the time. The worse burns were on my hip and they had to do a skin graft from thigh.

I'm so sorry. What a traumatic thing to have happen to one so young. My god, you were just a baby. I bet your parents felt terrible. (((Nicmar)))

• Love 2
On 12/26/2021 at 6:31 AM, Browncoat said:

I finally saw the LiMu ad with the spiders.  Ewwwww, and ugh.  Apart from just the spider on Doug’s arm (ew), that’s not really how spider bites work.  Reactions to spider bites are generally pretty localized, although if not treated, tissue necrosis from a really venomous spider can spread.  The last spider bite I got just itched at the bite site for a day or two.  One of my friends was bitten by a brown recluse, and the reaction he had never spread more than about an inch or two from the bite.

Also, most spiders really have to be provoked and fear for their lives to bite — like they’re being sat on, or are hiding inside your bathrobe when you tighten the sash.

I say all this as an extreme arachnophobe, which is the main reason I hate that commercial.

Well, there are a few kinds of spiders where the reaction is worse, but I don't think Limu brought any funnel web spiders with him from Australia.

Yeah, I hate that they show the spider too.

On 12/26/2021 at 2:46 PM, peacheslatour said:

I'm sorry that the LiMu ad is creeping people out. Personally, I love spiders. They are our friends.

I have an agreement with spiders, stay out of my house and you're fine, I'll do my best to leave you alone.  Come into my house and I'll squish you.

On 12/28/2021 at 3:00 PM, Welshman in Ca said:

Always wondered what they meant by 2 days earlier. They are either advancing some of the money or lying, can't see any other way.

Some employers will release payroll early to those with direct deposit accounts, but it's entirely up to the employer.  Mine does so only when a federal holiday on which banks actually close falls on payday Friday.  This does not happen very often as most federal holidays on are Mondays.

This info is in very tiny print on those Chime commercials but you have to be looking for it.

• Love 3
On 12/30/2021 at 11:25 AM, peacheslatour said:

There apparently is some show called Wipe Out. I will never watch it but I resent being inundated with the loud, obnoxious commercials for it every five fucking minutes. No wonder this country is such a mess if this kind of crap is what passes for entertainment.

I don't mind those as much as I do the commercials for The Go-Big Show.  That absolutely is a sign of the Apocalypse right there.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

Give me a hotel. I don't have to make the bed, or straighten up as I am leaving. 

Notice how in the commercial mom (even as a yeti)  is cooking the meals & fixing the bed. Not dad, not the kid, just mom. So I guess their idea of a "vacation" is when mom gets to do the same chores, just in somebody else's house.

• Love 18
6 hours ago, bkathi said:

I don't find the Yetis Airbnb commercial to be annoying, irritating or enraging; I would put it in the Favorite Commercials section.  The music is calm and soothing, so nothing to Instamute.  I don't go in to the Favorite Commercials section very often so maybe it's already there.  Thanks guys for posting the link and the explanation.  And yeah, as stated above, Mom is doing the cooking and cleaning!

• Love 3

It looked to me like the dad, the red-furred one, was cooking and serving the meal, and mom, the lighter-furred one, was in the hot tub.  I couldn't really tell who was making the bed at the end -- the scene was too short.  Or do I have them mixed up, and mom has the red fur and dad has lighter fur?  I watched it twice and tried to pay attention!

5 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I don't find the Yetis Airbnb commercial to be annoying, irritating or enraging; I would put it in the Favorite Commercials section.  The music is calm and soothing, so nothing to Instamute.  I don't go in to the Favorite Commercials section very often so maybe it's already there.  Thanks guys for posting the link and the explanation.  And yeah, as stated above, Mom is doing the cooking and cleaning!

"A man works from sun to sun but a woman's work is never done." I guess even Yeti's have unbalanced work loads.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Those stupid Medicare ads are back... and what's worse, so is that waste of space, Jimmy Walker! Who thought that bringing that talentless, unfunny, unappealing slob back was a good idea?!?!?!?

• Love 10
20 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Those stupid Medicare ads are back... and what's worse, so is that waste of space, Jimmy Walker! Who thought that bringing that talentless, unfunny, unappealing slob back was a good idea?!?!?!?

I saw the first ones on Jan 3 and posted here.  Not even a month from the "stop" date! Not a fan of Jimmy Walker either!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Kimmmmmm said:

It's hard to imagine that   the late Esther Rolle  would have argued too strenuously with you on this subject. 

• Love 8
9 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Why? I was on a Zoom meeting yesterday. Yoga pants on the bottom, dressy top. Might as well be comfortable.

The point was, in the ads, the guy is wearing NO pants. Wearing yoga pants is being dressed.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

It's hard to imagine that   the late Esther Rolle  would have argued too strenuously with you on this subject. 

I've always found it hard to believe that Letterman, in his early days, wrote jokes for that waste of oxygen.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've always found it hard to believe that Letterman, in his early days, wrote jokes for that waste of oxygen.

Sounds like a virtual tie to me! 

IMO, Jimmy Walker and David Letterman have about the same amount of appeal, charm and talent- just that the latter somehow got more successful. 

Oh, and I hate the  Liberty Mutual  Doug getting bitten by the spider ad!

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Ah, but I think this one has been edited or added onto. Because if possible, it is way worse. They have “Martha”, who seems waiting-to-be-tossed into a wood chipper, with a dark hair color and maybe no glasses. A disguise! And a younger woman with a terrible, horrific, put-on voice (could maybe make one’s ears bleed), and then Jimmy Walker shrieking. This has to be in the top three worst, offensive, terrible, annoying commercials ever made. My question is … who is the targeted audience? It is an insult to senior citizens, people with eyes and ears , people who walk upright. If this is not a new commercial and has already been discussed. Never mind. 🤓

Edited by Kemper
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

John Amos quit Good Times because he felt they had dumbed it down to the point of just being the "dyn-o-mite" show.

but that was the producers, not Jimmy, making that decison

• Love 1
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Nor would John Amos.

No!! In fact, he left the show and they killed off his character!! I. had heard that he and Esther Rolle objected to his character.

1 minute ago, Kimmmmmm said:

No!! In fact, he left the show and they killed off his character!! I. had heard that he and Esther Rolle objected to his character.

Sorry, I see this has been covered upthread.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, cinsays said:

but that was the producers, not Jimmy, making that decision

Sitcoms where relatively minor characters "took over" the show because of their audience popularity was a particular problem in the 1970s (IMO).

• Love 13
23 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Sitcoms where relatively minor characters "took over" the show because of their audience popularity was a particular problem in the 1970s (IMO).

And Walker has not let the character go, because it is all he is capable of. A one- trick pony, and a pretty lousy trick, at that

• Love 12

"If you have trouble sleeping or staying asleep, also known as 'insomnia;..."   Gee, thanks for clarifying that very difficult word for us.   I never would have know what you were talking about about, throwing around those $10 college words if you hadn't spelled it out for me.  

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Maverick said:

"If you have trouble sleeping or staying asleep, also known as 'insomnia;..."   Gee, thanks for clarifying that very difficult word for us.   I never would have know what you were talking about about, throwing around those $10 college words if you hadn't spelled it out for me.  

I can see why it feels insulting, and totally get that. 

Unfortunately, when it comes to health literacy, the rule of thumb is to write content at a 5th grade level.  Many people do not know what insomnia means.☹️

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, cynicat said:

I can see why it feels insulting, and totally get that. 

Unfortunately, when it comes to health literacy, the rule of thumb is to write content at a 5th grade level.  Many people do not know what insomnia means.☹️

Not only health literacy, but literacy, period!

• Love 7
On 1/7/2022 at 11:20 AM, Blergh said:

IMO, Jimmy Walker and David Letterman have about the same amount of appeal, charm and talent- just that the latter somehow got more successful. 

No from me on that one. Way back, I used to think Letterman would be good in the rack.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I've heard rumors that Dave is blessed in the physical department, but I always thought that unless he could pretend he's a jock, he's way too uncomfortable with his own body to be a good lover.

ETA: We really should move this to Small (or Well-Endowed) Talk.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • LOL 2

I hate the insurance commercial with Drew and Jonathan and one of the first things you should do is decide on what type of house you want. Ah, really? How is that helpful? My love for Victorian and Queen Anne style homes has been no help since I don't and probably never will be able to afford either style.  Neither can most people.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I hate the insurance commercial with Drew and Jonathan and one of the first things you should do is decide on what type of house you want. Ah, really? How is that helpful? My love for Victorian and Queen Anne style homes has been no help since I don't and probably never will be able to afford either style.  Neither can most people.

The most annoying thing about Drew and Jonathan is that they are EVERYWHERE! I posted this elsewhere, but they now have an online game. Really?

• Love 6
3 hours ago, BooksRule said:

It is now January 9th.  When will the annoying Scrooge-enjoying-his-Peloton commercial go away?

I've been wondering the same thing.  Last night it was on two or three times same channel same show.  The only thing that I can think of is that it's slated to run a certain number of weeks, and the starting date leaves off after Christmas.  Of course, they should have thought of that before irritating and annoying us with the post-Christmas Scrooge ad.

• Love 6

I loathe the Skippy ad with the singing shoe (why? do they want us to associate Skippy with smelly gym shoes?) and the one with the woman having her hair done by a child.  The jingle itself is stupid (what does "Go to your Skippy place" even mean?), the melody is insipid, the woman in the shoe one looks constipated, the guy is just pathetic, and the hair woman's voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 4
On 1/9/2022 at 6:13 PM, BooksRule said:

It is now January 9th.  When will the annoying Scrooge-enjoying-his-Peloton commercial go away?

Agree! Especially since the whole point of A Christmas Carol was for Scrooge  to find  meaning in  his life via becoming generous to others NOT via attempting to transform himself into a Herculean Adonis!  Why couldn't they have had the narrator  drop a line about having become so inspired by his new physique that he decided to buy Peletons for the Cratchits and pay for physical therapy for Tiny Tim?

Edited by Blergh
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9