Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

Whenever I see that obnoxious child in the Chap Stick commercial making faces in the car window, I just want to smack her.  Having that kid misbehaving like that doesn’t make me want to buy the product. 

Yeah, I can't stand that kid and I don't understand why the ad writers thought it was cute.

• Love 4
On 12/22/2021 at 5:23 PM, Mrs. Landingham said:

Speaking of such things, that Folgers commercial with the guy wearing a shirt, tie, and jacket but no pants who gets embarrassed because he realizes his colleagues on Zoom can see his bare legs. Look, even if I’m not wearing my actual work/dress pants on a Zoom work call, I am still wearing some kind of pants.

The worst thing about this commercial is the singing. ☹️ It’s not just bad singing, it’s physically painful. 

• Love 6

Ugh, the Duracell commercials with the parents so afraid of their bratty, scowling kids. Pop-pop coughed up for a fancy dress but then cheaped out on her haircut, rented an 'inferior' bouncy house, etc.?? Now he's trembling at the possibility that his princess's Christmas toy will run for only 10 hours instead of 12 (or whatever).

It's like the old Twilight Zone episode with the kid who has frightful powers which he uses to control the adults and get his own way. We create monsters when we think our children must be given all they demand.

(I guess it wouldn't be as obnoxious if the kid showed some gratitude).

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
15 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Ugh, the Duracell commercials with the parents so afraid of their bratty, scowling kids. Pop-pop coughed up for a fancy dress but then cheaped out on her haircut, rented an 'inferior' bouncy house, etc.?? Now he's trembling at the possibility that his princess's Christmas toy will run for only 10 hours instead of 12 (or whatever).

It's like the old Twilight Zone episode with the kid who has frightful powers which he uses to control the adults and get his own way. We create monsters when we think our children must be given all they demand.

Let's wish them into the cornfield.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 20
  • Love 1

I finally saw the LiMu ad with the spiders.  Ewwwww, and ugh.  Apart from just the spider on Doug’s arm (ew), that’s not really how spider bites work.  Reactions to spider bites are generally pretty localized, although if not treated, tissue necrosis from a really venomous spider can spread.  The last spider bite I got just itched at the bite site for a day or two.  One of my friends was bitten by a brown recluse, and the reaction he had never spread more than about an inch or two from the bite.

Also, most spiders really have to be provoked and fear for their lives to bite — like they’re being sat on, or are hiding inside your bathrobe when you tighten the sash.

I say all this as an extreme arachnophobe, which is the main reason I hate that commercial.

• Love 14
44 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm sorry that the LiMu ad is creeping people out. Personally, I love spiders. They are our friends.

Agreed that they are our friends, and I do my very best not to kill one on purpose, but that doesn't mean I'm not terrified of them.

• Love 9
59 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Because they eat all sorts of horrible, destructive insects like cockroaches, flies, fleas and ants. Oh and wasps.

Spiders eat wasps!!?? I just don't want them inside or crawling on my body!

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Spiders eat wasps!!?? I just don't want them inside or crawling on my body!

This. I respect and appreciate their role in our ecosystem. I just wish they'd do all that stuff...not near me :p. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
On 12/25/2021 at 1:22 PM, sempervivum said:

I hate that little girl so much, I was just looking for it in the children in commercials thread!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

The LiMu spider ad gives me the creepy crawlies everytime it comes on. I have a severe fear of spiders and if I see that ad early enough, I will mute or change the channel as fast as possible.

I have so many questions about that ad. Starting with: why did Doug have a gigantic live spider at the ready in his desk drawer if this idea was just sparked seconds earlier by a Spider-Man trailer?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

This. I respect and appreciate their role in our ecosystem. I just wish they'd do all that stuff...not near me :p. 

They seem to be falling down on the job, since there are still tons of cockroaches, flies, wasps, etc.😃 I am with you, they can contribute to the ecosystem all they want, just not near me or inside my house!

• Love 5

The new ad from Facebook featuring employee Aaron is starting to bug. The purpose isn’t entirely clear, though I assure to garner support for a general support of internet/social media regulation. It’s not the worst ever, but…

Probably showing my age here, but he’s introduced as a two-year employee which doesn’t establish a lot of credibility to speak for the organization in my eyes. More pickily, there’s a weird close up shot of his hands gesturing that doesn’t match his vocal emphasis. The interviewer also has this strange hybrid look of a deer in headlights that smelled a fart. Oh, and Aaron’s lips are chapped to hell and back.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 12/4/2021 at 5:05 PM, Crashcourse said:

Finally saw Martha.  I hope grandma gets run over by a reindeer. 

I guess I'm twisted, but I'm a senior citizen who cracked up the first time I saw that commercial. We *can* be hard heads, no doubt about it. Much better than the Joes and their phony sincerity.

I was so glad for December 7th to come. I'm still getting over the trauma of every insurance company in the US trying to con me into getting an "Advantage" plan 24/7.

• Love 6
On 12/7/2021 at 3:04 PM, ctlady said:
On 12/7/2021 at 2:23 PM, Bastet said:

I don't know if this is along the same lines, but the Tena ad where the woman wakes up, goes into the bathroom and "rawwwwwrs' like a tigress at her reflection in the mirror before letting us know that her morning ministrations begin with taking care of (glances downward) that skin.  

This disgusting ad is my #1 peeve presently. That woman talking about her routine sounds positively perverse. I hope to never see her again.

• Love 6

The new Chapstick commercial where the little girl is pressing her face and lips on the car window at people. It is just plain dumb. If I did that when I was a kid, my mother would have woffed my ass but good. Smearing newly-applied Chapstick on the car window? Makes no sense.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I have a strong dislike for Jillian Michaels. She just doesn't seem very likeable. I hate the commercial she does for that cash for pounds loss app. "You can win up to $10,000 just for losing weight!" But most of the people in the commercial have won only a fraction of that.

• Love 13
29 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I have a strong dislike for Jillian Michaels. She just doesn't seem very likeable. I hate the commercial she does for that cash for pounds loss app. "You can win up to $10,000 just for losing weight!" But most of the people in the commercial have won only a fraction of that.

I think she's scary.

• Love 8
On 12/26/2021 at 2:46 PM, peacheslatour said:

I'm sorry that the LiMu ad is creeping people out. Personally, I love spiders. They are our friends.

Maybe not so much when a tarantula falls on your head, falling from the air vent while you’re sitting on the toilet.  That’s exactly what happened to my sister when we lived in Arizona.  Thank God she was already sitting and doing her business because she would have had a pants full otherwise.  And when you find black widows and brown recluse spiders in your house, you can’t help but have a great dislike of them, regardless of how “good” they are. 

The idiot should have been bitten by a brown recluse, and then have to get a lot of flesh excised because of the damage.  No Spiderman for him.  And unless the spider he had jumped to his face, the bite would only be on his arm.

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Oh, lord, if that ever happened to me, I'm pretty sure people would be able to hear my screaming from miles away. YIKES. 

These spiders can live for up to 25 years and can be domesticated into affectionate pets. Owners say they are generally docile and do well when taken to school and group demonstrations. Generally, tarantulas respond to daily handling. They crawl freely when placed on an arm or shoulder, but they definitely are not a pet that an owner can cuddle.

Tarantulas are very timid and bite only when provoked. This could be a problem if a tarantula bites a very small child, a sick adult or a person who is highly sensitive to the venom.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Chime:  The Bank for Annoying Idiots.   As if having to listen to the twit bragging about getting paid two days early wasn't bad enough, now there's one with some woman strumming on a guitar singing "Chime! Chime! Chime!"   You can tell we're supposed to think she's oh so adorable but in reality she's just annoying AF.

• LOL 2
  • Love 15

Underwear ad, only saw it once and I was more amused than annoyed. Jammies, I think. Ad was talking about how soft and comfortable and they had pockets! Then the same man who was wearing them pops out of the opening in front and was running his hands over the fabric of the opening. It would fit right in with the "ball ance" guy. After I got through being stunned, I laughed.

Now the wearing underwear around the house and the dancing all the time in the house I'll take to small talk.

9 hours ago, Maverick said:

Chime:  The Bank for Annoying Idiots.   As if having to listen to the twit bragging about getting paid two days early wasn't bad enough, now there's one with some woman strumming on a guitar singing "Chime! Chime! Chime!"   You can tell we're supposed to think she's oh so adorable but in reality she's just annoying AF.

I hate the Chime ads, however that woman has a beautiful voice which softens this particular one (for me).

One ad that I don't think has been mentioned has the gecko standing under a leaking ceiling, and the little cretins upstairs are playing and splashing in a swimming pool. I don't think they would be having so much fun when the floor collapses with them on it, and that would be just the beginning of what they should get. Showing kids destroying an apartment building is not a good idea.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, cynicat said:

Chime:  The Bank for Annoying Idiots.   As if having to listen to the twit bragging about getting paid two days early wasn't bad enough,

As someone who processes payroll for my employer - and doesn't do so until Wednesday morning as it takes 2 days to process for Friday direct deposit - it woudn't matter a wit if someone had a Chime card because they'd get paid Thursday - the earliest.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, susannah said:

One ad that I don't think has been mentioned has the gecko standing under a leaking ceiling, and the little cretins upstairs are playing and splashing in a swimming pool. I don't think they would be having so much fun when the floor collapses with them on it, and that would be just the beginning of what they should get. Showing kids destroying an apartment building is not a good idea.

Those little idiots would lose every damn possession they ever owned and be in kid jail for the next ten years.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, ctlady said:

As someone who processes payroll for my employer - and doesn't do so until Wednesday morning as it takes 2 days to process for Friday direct deposit - it woudn't matter a wit if someone had a Chime card because they'd get paid Thursday - the earliest.

Always wondered what they meant by 2 days earlier. They are either advancing some of the money or lying, can't see any other way.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I am really disliking these ads for disabled veterans, sick children or suffering animals that reward you for contributing by giving you a blanket. Keep the blanket money and give it to the veterans, kids or shelters.

The math used to come out in favor of it; the money spent to attract first-time donors paid off when they continued to donate year after year (and more than they did the first time), but donor attrition is really high these days.  And with "de-cluttering" a popular interest, people are less interested in accumulating random stuff.  Vox did a piece on this issue last year.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

that reward you for contributing by giving you a blanket. Keep the blanket money and give it to the veterans, kids or shelters

similar to a "catalog" I got for a wildlife fund that each donation comes with a plush animal.

• Love 4