Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, RedElf said:

So Mr. Big died on his Peloton in the new version of Sex and the City, and Peloton is upset.  I'm hearing their stock dropped, which is stupid.  But anyway, they literally came up with an ad to counter the show.  With the actor who plays Mr. Big.

Are we sure that's a real Peleton ad? Ryan Reynolds does the voiceover, and he's also the spokesman for Aviation Gin—which famously featured the Peleton Lady being supported by friends after escaping the domestic nightmare of her former commercial.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Are we sure that's a real Peleton ad? Ryan Reynolds does the voiceover, and he's also the spokesman for Aviation Gin—which famously featured the Peleton Lady being supported by friends after escaping the domestic nightmare of her former commercial.

I found this article about the ad.  Apparently the ad is real, put out by Peloton, but there may be more to the story.  There is an article in The Cut.com entitled "Was It All Just a Big Stunt?" which I tried to link but it's preventing me from doing so.

Edited by CrystalBlue
Link won't work.
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, HighMaintenance said:

This commercial caught my attention because I like The Platters.

not that it matters :) but the Alexa ad says its The Flamingos. I wouldn't know. 

I'm tired of the ad because it's on so often. And how does Alexa know it's their favorite song? Is that a skill? I guess Alexa can do stuff I've never thought of asking her to do.

• LOL 4

I think the Eye Roll Award goes to the Walmart ad where the couple sleeping in bed is awakened by her getting a text saying, "changed our minds - on our way".

Now, if they're on their way from another state that's several hours away, then maybe I can hand wave it.  Still "on our way' doesn't indicate how close they are to arriving.

Yet - even if it was 2-3 hours, that seems to be enough time for them to get up, make an online order from Walmart, get showered, dressed, pick up delivered groceries off doorstep and have everything cooked, plated and on display when guests ring the doorbell.

Nope.

• Love 10
15 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

It's on the official Peloton twitter account.

• Love 4

Is something wrong with me that I get annoyed at the commercial where the little girl and her father make pasta for their elderly neighbor? I think it’s because it feels like it airs all the time, and familiarity breeds contempt. Don’t judge me.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, ctlady said:

I think the Eye Roll Award goes to the Walmart ad where the couple sleeping in bed is awakened by her getting a text saying, "changed our minds - on our way".

Now, if they're on their way from another state that's several hours away, then maybe I can hand wave it.  Still "on our way' doesn't indicate how close they are to arriving.

Yet - even if it was 2-3 hours, that seems to be enough time for them to get up, make an online order from Walmart, get showered, dressed, pick up delivered groceries off doorstep and have everything cooked, plated and on display when guests ring the doorbell.

Nope.

I'm annoyed they didn't text back telling them too late don't come and go back to sleep. 

• LOL 14
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Is something wrong with me that I get annoyed at the commercial where the little girl and her father make pasta for their elderly neighbor? I think it’s because it feels like it airs all the time, and familiarity breeds contempt. Don’t judge me.

The ad is sweet. I like that they made dinner for their neighbor and that the little girl addressed the man with respect. The network is stupid for repeating certain ones til people want to throw something at the tv.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, susannah said:

The network is stupid for repeating certain ones til people want to throw something at the tv.

There's one like that for me; some car commercial where the mom is driving her bored kids to their home in beautiful sunny southern CA, and it starts snowing. There's some insipid song being sung about being a "native born Californian." There's nothing inherently wrong with the ad, other than being rather pointless, but I see/hear it at least 5 times in a half hour.

My theory is that if you watch on cable, there's some kind of personalization going on and they can't figure out WHAT to show me, so I just get the same thing over and over.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

Now that it's the holiday season I've seen an overload of designer cologne commercials (Lenny Kravitz for YSL.) ugh they just seem so pretentious to me!  I neither like nor dislike Lenny Kravitz so whatever....

I have to stop and stare at Lenny every time.  However the Johnny Depp commercials are ridiculously bad.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, susannah said:

The ad is sweet. I like that they made dinner for their neighbor and that the little girl addressed the man with respect. The network is stupid for repeating certain ones til people want to throw something at the tv.

Yeah like I said, the ad itself was nice, it’s just annoying that its repeated like five times a day.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I have to stop and stare at Lenny every time.  However the Johnny Depp commercials are ridiculously bad.

Ok well lets put Jake Gyllenhaal in one of these commercials and I'm in.  It's still pompous but at the eye candy is nice.  I do find it interesting they are using actors now instead of models.  I guess the ex. figured people recognize movie actors more than models *shrug*

• LOL 1

That sort of thing usually irritates me, Hollywood celebrities who are already multi-millionaires maximizing their revenue streams at the expense of the little fish commercial actors and voiceover artists who depend on those jobs for their livelihood.

Though they can put Patrick Stewart in as many commercials as they want so far as I'm concerned.

• Love 11

I just saw an ad for Daisy sour cream, in which the family is having dinner, with baked potatoes. The kid, maybe 8 years old. picks up his entire potato with his fork and takes a bite of it. Demonstrating caveman manners, I guess.

I can't decide why this commercial makes me so stabby. Maybe it's the theme, maybe it's the fact that these people are just way too into sour cream, I don't know. Still a better love story than that creepy Folger ad with the brother and sister flirting in the kitchen.

• Love 6

Can McCormick Spices please stop showing people cooking with a baby strapped to their fronts? The new one has her spilling a teaspoon of some spice on the baby's head, and blowing it away.

Any spice would burn the eyes like crazy. Red pepper, cinnamon, salt, it's just so wrong. Last year the gal cooking was putting stuff in boiling water, with a baby strapped on her front right over the flippin stove.

My 10 year old (at the time, now 42) was burned by boiling water in the kitchen. So commercials like this make me cringe.

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

Can McCormick Spices please stop showing people cooking with a baby strapped to their fronts? The new one has her spilling a teaspoon of some spice on the baby's head, and blowing it away.

Any spice would burn the eyes like crazy. Red pepper, cinnamon, salt, it's just so wrong. Last year the gal cooking was putting stuff in boiling water, with a baby strapped on her front right over the flippin stove.

My 10 year old (at the time, now 42) was burned by boiling water in the kitchen. So commercials like this make me cringe.

Thank you! I can't believe how irresponsible and dangerous that ad is. As you said, any spice could really hurt the baby if it got into its eyes or mouth, and standing at the stove with a baby in the first place?

• Love 14
On 12/12/2021 at 8:54 PM, HighMaintenance said:
On 12/12/2021 at 1:40 PM, Crashcourse said:

Initially, I liked the Alexa commercial with the young couple/older couple dancing to "I Only Have Eyes for You."  Now it's annoying because they run it so damn often.  Plus, when the older lady is caressing her husband's face, she looks like she's thinking about either poisoning him or eating his face.  Creepy. 😁

This commercial caught my attention because I like The Platters.  However, it immediately bugged me because in the black & white flashback, the man is a full head or more taller than the woman.  When they flash to full color "today" they're both about the same height.

So, either hubby shrank a full 8 or 10 inches, or the guy at the prom isn't her man now.

I was just coming to say that! And it's not the Platters, it's the Flamingos and I knew that without looking it up, I love doowop.

But the ad for whatever that has someone screeching out "I Got You Babe" really gets on my nerves! It was never a favorite song, but I didn't use to hate it either. The singer? really garbles their words and then screeches. Ugh!

Editing to add the one I find amusing, it doesn't necessarily make me irritated or angry. Roman, some sort of erectile disfunction treatment. Young couple are in undies brushing their teeth, apparently getting ready to go and the announcer says, "you know how you're just brushing your teeth and all of a sudden..." Then the young couple starts kissing and one thing leads to another and... Anyway, never in my entire life as a former young person, have I ever gotten turned on by anyone brushing his teeth and decided to jump in the sack that instant. Never.

Edited by friendperidot
  • LOL 8
  • Love 4

In a Bayer Aspirin ad, a young woman says that her aunt called to tell her that her uncle had had a heart attack. He ends up being okay, and she's really glad because, "I needed him to be here." I'm sure your aunt needs him too, dear, and most likely a lot more! My script: "My aunt and I are SO relieved. I lost my dad a few years ago and since then my uncle's been like one to me. I still need him here."

ETA: DAMN IT! I just saw the Liberty Mutual ad mentioned above for the first time. Was NOT expecting a real spider! There should be a damn trigger warning for arachnophobes. I am SO bad that if I come across a picture of one in something I'm reading, after screeching and swearing, I have to make sure I don't touch it at ALL while I'm turning the page--if I don't just outright rip it out--because god forbid I touch it and it somehow, I don't know, comes alive!!

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 10

I get annoyed by ads, mostly local for dentists or dental clinics. They substitute the word "smile" for "teeth". Oh come to our clinic, we will give you a beautiful smile! What is wrong with the word teeth? I don't think the word teeth is controversial, or triggering ....

Maybe so. Maybe someone was bitten by their little brother when they were 8 years old, and it is triggering to them to hear the word teeth.  <sarcasm>

• Love 7

Someone has to call 911 for that kid that shrieks something unintelligible, something so painful, something so blood curdling that most parents would have been consulting a medical professional about...after seeing that commercial about 4 times I realized what he was saying, "Olaf." The commercial is for Xfinity telling us you can give vague information to your remote and the tv will bring up that show.

I cannot reach the mute button fast enough when that shows up on my screen.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, TVMovieBuff said:

I get annoyed by ads, mostly local for dentists or dental clinics. They substitute the word "smile" for "teeth". Oh come to our clinic, we will give you a beautiful smile! What is wrong with the word teeth? I don't think the word teeth is controversial, or triggering ....

Maybe so. Maybe someone was bitten by their little brother when they were 8 years old, and it is triggering to them to hear the word teeth.  <sarcasm>

Using "smile" makes sense to me. They are equating nice straight teeth with a beautiful smile. Let's face it, you can still smile with crooked, missing, discolored teeth, but straight white teeth make for a prettier smile. YMMV.

ETA: Example - in "The Wizard of Oz" the good witch has beautiful straight white teeth, while the wicked witch has horrible teeth.

Edited by chessiegal
add an example
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Using "smile" makes sense to me. They are equating nice straight teeth with a beautiful smile. Let's face it, you can still smile with crooked, missing, discolored teeth, but straight white teeth make for a prettier smile. YMMV.

ETA: Example - in "The Wizard of Oz" the good witch has beautiful straight white teeth, while the wicked witch has horrible teeth.

It also doesn't help that the Wicked Witch has an olive drab complexion which only would be useful  in commercials for pitching avocados! 

• LOL 8
12 minutes ago, Blergh said:

It also doesn't help that the Wicked Witch has an olive drab complexion which only would be useful  in commercials for pitching avocados! 

Only if it were a commercial for pitching them off a cliff. She is not very appetizing.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

Only if it were a commercial for pitching them off a cliff. She is not very appetizing.

But the Munchins no doubt considered her a dip- although likely not as appealing as guacamole!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 12/13/2021 at 5:32 AM, dleighg said:

not that it matters :) but the Alexa ad says its The Flamingos. I wouldn't know. 

I'm tired of the ad because it's on so often. And how does Alexa know it's their favorite song? Is that a skill? I guess Alexa can do stuff I've never thought of asking her to do.

It's definitely the Flamingos.  Although a lot of doo w** groups from that era sound similar.  I would've guessed it was the Platters myself.

I assume one can program one's Alexa to know things like that?  Not ever going to be me, because I find Alexa creepy.  Siri too, for that matter.

On 12/13/2021 at 2:34 PM, ctlady said:

Nope.

The few times I tried to do the pick-up order from Walmart, you had to schedule it at least a day ahead.  And the only time I ordered from Walmart for home delivery, it was a couple of days.  So yes, this commercial is incredibly stupid.  Plus, I'd have said "Too late, don't bother coming" if it was me.

On 12/13/2021 at 4:23 PM, Dirtybubble said:

Now that it's the holiday season I've seen an overload of designer cologne commercials (Lenny Kravitz for YSL.) ugh they just seem so pretentious to me!  I neither like nor dislike Lenny Kravitz so whatever....

His is one of the least annoying cologne commercials I've seen.  Not that it's actually good or anything, but I can tolerate it, I guess.  Now, those horrible Johnny Depp commercials . . . UGH.

On 12/14/2021 at 12:06 AM, susannah said:

It was sweet the first 500 times they ran it.  Beating it into the ground has made me change the channel.  Although, at least it's not a perfume/cologne commercial. ;-)

2 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Someone has to call 911 for that kid that shrieks something unintelligible, something so painful, something so blood curdling that most parents would have been consulting a medical professional about...after seeing that commercial about 4 times I realized what he was saying, "Olaf." The commercial is for Xfinity telling us you can give vague information to your remote and the tv will bring up that show.

I cannot reach the mute button fast enough when that shows up on my screen.

My problem is that I can't imagine any parent of a child that age not knowing that Olaf was in the Frozen movies.  I mean, I don't have kids (small or otherwise) and I hate Disney, but I know about Olaf even though I wish I didn't.

• Love 6

Simplisafe's Robert the Robber.

Has anyone posted about these commercials?  I hate them so much, and have hated the character for so long, that I wonder if maybe I have already come here to complain about it.

The ones that drive me craziest are when he's relaxing at home with his family -- the home he purchased with money and valuables STOLEN FROM OTHER PEOPLE!

THIS is the spokesperson for Simplisafe -- the lovable, quirky thief who makes a living by home invasion, violating people's privacy, depriving them of their hard-earned possessions, and robbing his victims of their feelings of security, in some cases for the rest of their lives.  Simplisafe seems to think we should find this morally bankrupt individual charming and comical.   Hey Simplisafe, he's not the Hamburglar.   He's a grown man with a skeevy mustache wearing a rapist mask.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 19
32 minutes ago, millennium said:

Has anyone posted about these commercials?  I hate them so much, and have hated the character for so long, that I wonder if maybe I have already come here to complain about it.

The ones that drive me craziest are when he's relaxing at home with his family -- the home he purchased with money and valuables STOLEN FROM OTHER PEOPLE!

THIS is the spokesperson for Simplisafe -- the lovable, quirky thief who makes a living by home invasion, violating people's privacy, depriving them of their hard-earned possessions, and robbing his victims of their feelings of security, in some cases for the rest of their lives.  Simplisafe seems to think we should find this morally bankrupt individual charming and comical.   Hey Simplisafe, he's not the Hamburglar.   He's a grown man with a skeevy mustache wearing a rapist mask.

Yes, it's been discussed. I think it's funny, but then I am easily amused.  I find it a good parody for what they are trying to sell.

• Love 3

Compared to some, mildly irritating but still…

Ads for 1-800-GOT-JUNK which are running primarily on our local newscasts. The ads themselves aren’t awful, but they never rotate - we’ve been seeing the retirement-age guy declare “I’ve never been more ready in my life” consistently. As a bonus, they’re 15 seconds, so we get two during each commercial break. 

• Love 1

I'm sure someone else has brought this up but I'm going to mention it anyway. 

One of our local stations shows the Tracy Morgan commercial for The American Rescue Plan at least twice during every single commercial break.  It was mildly amusing at first but now I'm getting a little stabby after seeing it so much.  I've started hitting the mute button on my remote when they go to a commercial break because they also show Mike Lindell advertising his My Pillow constantly.  If I buy one of his pillows do you think he'd go away?

• LOL 6
6 hours ago, luvmylabs said:

I am really tired of the car commercial set to "It's a most unusual day".  It is supposedly set in California with a snow machine blanketing a family's house and yard.  It plays endlessly in my location.

Here too.   A fellow hater of this spot says it reminds her of Seinfeld and the song Miss Rhode Island sang off-key in the beauty pageant at Kramer's instruction, because George and Jerry accidentally killed her trained doves. 

• LOL 5
9 hours ago, luvmylabs said:

I am really tired of the car commercial set to "It's a most unusual day".  It is supposedly set in California with a snow machine blanketing a family's house and yard.  It plays endlessly in my location

endlessly here as well. I am so sick of it. And I really don't get what it's supposed to be telling me about the car. And I lived in California for quite awhile (though not "native born") and that part just irritates me-- what's so special about a native born Californian?

• Love 4
6 hours ago, dleighg said:

endlessly here as well. I am so sick of it. And I really don't get what it's supposed to be telling me about the car. And I lived in California for quite awhile (though not "native born") and that part just irritates me-- what's so special about a native born Californian?

And why would they know about things being unusual any more than anyone else would?

I hate that stupid song.

• Love 3
On 12/16/2021 at 12:05 AM, millennium said:

Yeah, I'm not fond of them either, especially with gross hat and mustache. One that makes me squeamish has him  soaking in a bathtub eating a pizza. Yuck.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, dleighg said:

that part just irritates me-- what's so special about a native born Californian?

I guess because at one time there was a whole thing about no one being a native-born Californian (although there actually were native-born Californians).

• Useful 1

I like Regina King, but this commercial makes me stabby.  She is taking that untrained dog with her everywhere she goes, inflicting his damage hither and yon, and then just shrugging it off because she can afford to buy everyone "sorry" gifts and rack up her cash back rewards.  That's not cute!

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Yeah, I'm not fond of them either, especially with gross hat and mustache. One that makes me squeamish has him  soaking in a bathtub eating a pizza. Yuck.

I'm waiting for the one where Robert breaks into a house and is shot dead by an alert homeowner.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
On 12/15/2021 at 10:53 AM, proserpina65 said:

My problem is that I can't imagine any parent of a child that age not knowing that Olaf was in the Frozen movies.  I mean, I don't have kids (small or otherwise) and I hate Disney, but I know about Olaf even though I wish I didn't.

I have grandchildren and have no idea who Olaf is.

A commercial that enrages?  Merci chocolates.  Could they at least make an attempt at an authentic pronunciation?  "Murr see" isn't even close.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Leeds said:

I have grandchildren and have no idea who Olaf is.

I watched Frozen a few years ago with a couple of my youngest grand daughters. I know who Olaf is... I'm in MT they are in CA. Haven't been to see them since Summer 2019...d@mn Covid!!

On 12/17/2021 at 3:02 PM, Bastet said:

I like Regina King, but this commercial makes me stabby.  She is taking that untrained dog with her everywhere she goes, inflicting his damage hither and yon, and then just shrugging it off because she can afford to buy everyone "sorry" gifts and rack up her cash back rewards.  That's not cute!

No idea who Regina King is, but "stabby" barely begins to describe how this commercial makes me feel.  Why do people think untrained dogs are cute and that other people want to be subjected to them?

• Love 9
On 12/13/2021 at 5:32 AM, dleighg said:

Because at one point, one of them said it was their favorite or they liked it and now Big Data knows everything about them.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

(Knix) Thumping drum machine and sepulchral voice mumbles 'blood sweat 'n' pee...we leakproof we leakproof'. I don't care how useful these are (reviews are mixed), I don't want to hear the gory details.

This also applies to the Lysol laundry sanitizer ad using the phrase 'snot covered fabric'. 

Brands that call up icky descriptions like this are not making themselves more appealing (not to me, at least).

• Love 14
2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Because at one point, one of them said it was their favorite or they liked it and now Big Data knows everything about them.

Preach!

Can Capital One please STOP with the "it's the easiest decision' ad featuring the little girl getting a pony at her birthday party?  I'm surprised animal activists haven't been all over this for gift wrapping a live animal (can't tell if it's CGI-looks pretty real to me).  CGI or not - it's disturbing and cruel

• Love 8

I know it's been mentioned here before, but I just HATE the commercial for Hungryroot............  I just open the box and my refrigerator is packed......

yeah, and your garbage can will be filled with a zillion containers because, if you're too lazy to just go shop for your food, you're too lazy to recycle containers

ugh, i hit the mute whenever it comes on

• Love 8

There's another commercial with a rude old lady. It's for Postables a grandmother is angry that her family gave her an actual card instead of an e-card. Who creates these ads? My grandmothers weren't computer savvy and would have wanted a greeting card. The commercial was on HLN tonight.

• Love 6
On 12/13/2021 at 7:27 PM, andromeda331 said:

I'm annoyed they didn't text back telling them too late don't come and go back to sleep. 

Same. The flippant “Changed our minds” really chapped my butt. How inconsiderate and entitled! Maybe the people they canceled on already made other plans, or just want to relax at home (which they evidently were). Rude. 

• Love 9