Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Months ago I mentioned the fact that I hate seeing people dance in commercials.  I mean, who really dances all the time at home?  My latest hate is the couple dancing  at a 50's Prom  to I Only Have Eyes For You.  Then about 60 years later they are still dancing to the tune...gazing into each other's eyes, and still not knowing how to dance.

Edited by knuckles491
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, knuckles491 said:

Months ago I mentioned the fact that I hate seeing people dance in commercials.  I mean, who really dances all the time at home?  My latest hate is the couple dancing  at a 50's record hop  to I Only Have Eyes For You.  Then about 60 years later they are still dancing to the tune...gazing into each other's eyes, and still not knowing how to dance.

Awww... Other than they have the man shrinking a good 6 inches in the "now" scene, I think it's sweet they still dance to their favorite song.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, knuckles491 said:

I mean, who really dances all the time at home?  My latest hate is the couple dancing  at a 50's Prom  to I Only Have Eyes For You.  Then about 60 years later they are still dancing to the tune...gazing into each other's eyes, and still not knowing how to dance.

I actually like that commercial!  It's sweet that their love lasted 60+ years.

• Love 10
On 12/18/2021 at 3:55 PM, Leeds said:

I have grandchildren and have no idea who Olaf is.

A commercial that enrages?  Merci chocolates.  Could they at least make an attempt at an authentic pronunciation?  "Murr see" isn't even close.

Lucky you.  May you never have the hell that is Frozen inflicted upon you.

On 12/19/2021 at 12:08 PM, sempervivum said:

(Knix) Thumping drum machine and sepulchral voice mumbles 'blood sweat 'n' pee...we leakproof we leakproof'. I don't care how useful these are (reviews are mixed), I don't want to hear the gory details.

This also applies to the Lysol laundry sanitizer ad using the phrase 'snot covered fabric'. 

Brands that call up icky descriptions like this are not making themselves more appealing (not to me, at least).

I'm with you on that.  Bodily fluids do not need to be in commercials, imo.

20 hours ago, cinsays said:

I know it's been mentioned here before, but I just HATE the commercial for Hungryroot............  I just open the box and my refrigerator is packed......

yeah, and your garbage can will be filled with a zillion containers because, if you're too lazy to just go shop for your food, you're too lazy to recycle containers

ugh, i hit the mute whenever it comes on

I always think about how there's no way she'll be able to use all the stuff they show in her fridge before it goes bad.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

There's another commercial with a rude old lady. It's for Postables a grandmother is angry that her family gave her an actual card instead of an e-card. Who creates these ads? My grandmothers weren't computer savvy and would have wanted a greeting card. The commercial was on HLN tonight.

That's utterly BOGUS!!  There may be exceptions. However,( generally speaking), the older we consumers get, the more we appreciate others taking the time and effort to put pen to paper to express themselves then mailing it to our physical mail boxes instead of just tapping a few keystrokes and have it electronically zapped to our inboxes! 

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I always think about how there's no way she'll be able to use all the stuff they show in her fridge before it goes bad.

Depends on how many folks are in the household. There is no indication the person lives alone. I have a stepdaughter with 7 children, so that would be gone in a hurry.

Edited by chessiegal
14 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Depends on how many folks are in the household. There is no indication the person lives alone. I have a stepdaughter with 7 children, so that would be gone in a hurry.

My impression from at least one of the commercials I saw was that the person did live alone but I will confess to tuning them out.  I'm just annoyed at the cram-packed fridge, knowing that some of the stuff has to be used relatively quickly.

(Then again, I'm one of those "throw out the unopened bag of salad two weeks later" kind of people, so . . . )

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

My impression from at least one of the commercials I saw was that the person did live alone

She says "my" - not "our" or even "the" - refrigerator is packed, so it does come across like it's just her, which makes me think how sad it is half that food is going to go to waste (since no one person is going to get through that much fresh food in time).  It's possible there are other people there despite the singular (maybe she does all the cooking, so thinks of the refrigerator in terms of "my"), but it plays to me like it's just her. 

And then there's the horror of all that packaging.  All around, that commercial is an epic fail in interesting me in the service.

• Love 6

There's one for Tefeflora that should be heartwarming, but I kind of hate it. A little girl gets flowers from her grandmother, and the card says that grandma can't be there in person.

The little girl is devastated. She pretends that the floral arrangement is Granny, so she carries it everywhere so they can spend time together and have fun together. 

I've seen two versions, so I'm not sure of the time frame, but at some point, she's getting ready for bed and we hear from off camera, "Good night," and it's Granny after all! 

What a POS trick to play on the kid.

• Love 1

In the ad where the family is at holiday dinner, you see the kids only a couple of feet away at the kids' table, showing a boy and a younger girl, among others. Then the dad, I presume, called the boy over to sit at the adults' table and gives him a hug.The boy was still a child, and the other kids were not babies. It irritates me as it looks like the father favoring his son.

• Love 4

What the hell is up with how that Kate McKinnon walks during the Verizon commercial?  Yeah, in the beginning she’s supposed to be walking on ice, but after that she walks like she’s got a pants full of 💩💩💩💩💩, clomping around like her legs weigh a ton.  I just don’t get it.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

What the hell is up with how that Kate McKinnon walks during the Verizon commercial?  Yeah, in the beginning she’s supposed to be walking on ice, but after that she walks like she’s got a pants full of 💩💩💩💩💩, clomping around like her legs weigh a ton.  I just don’t get it.  

She's been clomping around in those Verizon commercials since they started. Maybe she's sending a subtle message that the commercial is full of shit. I really don't know her except for these Verizon ads and she appears to be the most graceless woman alive. Even Roseanne Barr is more graceful.

• Love 4

There's a commercial for some beer with snowmen playing "More Than a Feeling" by Boston. Can't stand it! One, the snowmen are pretty creepy looking.  Two, I hate Boston (the band, I have no feelings whatsoever for the city).

• Love 1

The Nyquil commercial where the woman is sleeping soundly while her asshat husband/boyfriend is having game night with his boy friends, screaming their heads off in the next room. Right, I mean why would jerkface and his buddies not have game night at someone else's house when they can drug Betty up and throw her in the sack while they go buckwild in the living room.

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

The Nyquil commercial where the woman is sleeping soundly while her asshat husband/boyfriend is having game night with his boy friends, screaming their heads off in the next room. Right, I mean why would jerkface and his buddies not have game night at someone else's house when they can drug Betty up and throw her in the sack while they go buckwild in the living room.

The guys are in another apartment - not hers, not her boyfriend. You can clearly see when they pan to other room they are not in her apartment. Bless her heart for having to live next to neighbors like that. Been there, done that.

• Useful 7
22 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

The commercial for Tommy John underwear with the man sitting on his couch in his Tommy John undies. The words on the screen read "touchably soft" (IIRC). Weird.

There's a commercial for ladies lingerie (forgot the brand name - but you order online) that does the same thing - just showing people lounging around the house in their boxes or bra and panties.  Sometimes with a flirtingly open robe.  Do people really hang around the house in their underwear?  

And also the commercial where the man comes out on the patio with a shirt on and tighty-whities to find another couple there whom he thought they were going to Zoom with instead.  I mean - was it really too much trouble to even put sweatpants on?

32 minutes ago, chessiegal said:
48 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

The guys are in another apartment - not hers, not her boyfriend. You can clearly see when they pan to other room they are not in her apartment. Bless her heart for having to live next to neighbors like that. Been there, done that.

But......she was sleeping soundly through it so I guess no harm done

Edited by ctlady
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, ctlady said:

But......she was sleeping soundly through it so I guess no harm done

Right.  And her neighbors have no reason to know she's sick.  Once I understood what was happening, I had no issue with the commercial. 

But if it had been the scenario some of us initially interpreted, where her partner and his friends were hootin' and hollerin' in the next room knowing she's sick in bed rather than going to one of the other guys' homes or at least reminding themselves to keep it down, that would have been inconsiderate, even though the Nyquil knocked her out (for now, at least).  "Nyquil: Lets you get the sleep you need even if your husband is an asshole" seemed an odd pitch, so I was glad to realize I was misinterpreting the scenario.

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, ctlady said:

And also the commercial where the man comes out on the patio with a shirt on and tighty-whities to find another couple there whom he thought they were going to Zoom with instead.  I mean - was it really too much trouble to even put sweatpants on?

That was weird to me, too. I could see him being in the house in his underwear, but walking outdoors? Ew. Speaking of such things, that Folgers commercial with the guy wearing a shirt, tie, and jacket but no pants who gets embarrassed because he realizes his colleagues on Zoom can see his bare legs. Look, even if I’m not wearing my actual work/dress pants on a Zoom work call, I am still wearing some kind of pants.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

All the non-winter months, yes.

There's all manner of skimpy loungewear that is glorified underwear.  Depending on the heat and humidity of the weather, some peeps wear as little to nothing as possible.  Women are wearing sports bras as outerwear with their leggings and yoga pants, there's shorts pajamas bottoms, and the good ole "wifebeater" tank top undershirt for men to wear on a summer's day. 

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, Mrs. Landingham said:

That was weird to me, too. I could see him being in the house in his underwear, but walking outdoors? Ew. Speaking of such things, that Folgers commercial with the guy wearing a shirt, tie, and jacket but no pants who gets embarrassed because he realizes his colleagues on Zoom can see his bare legs. Look, even if I’m not wearing my actual work/dress pants on a Zoom work call, I am still wearing some kind of pants.

It's really no different than a man or boy wearing those Speedos swim bottoms, but yeah, ew, usually those tighty whiteys have the handy hole flap thing, I think they call them Y-fronts.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

The first time I saw it, I too thought it was the next room rather than the next apartment, and was appalled, but, yeah, those are her neighbors, not her partner and his friends.

Yeah, I mentioned this one a while back as I thought it was in the same apartment and was also appalled.

40 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

All the non-winter months, yes.

I guess if people who don't have kids want to do that, it's fine, though there are such things as summer clothes. I don't at all think it is appropriate to do in front of kids.

• Love 4

I know it’s been discussed before but, ugh, “Ghirardelli ‘carmul’ squares” just makes me crazy! First, “caramel” has three syllables! Why is this so hard? Second, that stupid one-millimeter bite the asshole woman takes is ridiculous. Sorry, I am in a nasty mood so maybe it’s making me madder than usual!

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
On 12/19/2021 at 4:12 PM, cinsays said:

I know it's been mentioned here before, but I just HATE the commercial for Hungryroot............  I just open the box and my refrigerator is packed......

yeah, and your garbage can will be filled with a zillion containers because, if you're too lazy to just go shop for your food, you're too lazy to recycle containers

ugh, i hit the mute whenever it comes on

I SO agree that HR should address the plastic. But not wanting to shop for one's own food isn't necessarily "lazy." I am by no means lazy and I don't do it (with the exception of the small hippie market near me) because I cannot stand food shopping. I have more than enough shit to do to be bothered with a chore I despise.

But why on earth would it hinder one's ability to recycle? It's still tossing something into a can or a bin, just not the same one that the regular trash goes into (at least that is the case here). I don't subscribe anymore (but I still don't do my own food shopping; once I started working at home, it became much easier to do grocery delivery because pretty much any time slot is OK), but as for the food, it's good and easy, and there are tons of vegan options that are not always readily available everywhere. And the sizes/amounts make a lot more sense for a small household than those of regular food stores -- especially vegetables (seriously, I find it impossible to get through a head of purple cabbage without having to trash half of it!). That said, I have no clue why the commercial shows the presumably one-person households ordering the gigantic option!

ETA: I also noticed that you can see a Silk almond (?) milk in one of the refrigerators -- I thought it was odd that no one blurred that.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, ctlady said:

Do people really hang around the house in their underwear?  

I don't personally, but plenty of people do.

47 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

There's another with a lady biting a tiny bit from a Lindt round-ball one -- as if that wouldn't make a big fat mess! Just fucking eat it, stupids!

I tend to eat those in multiple bites; it doesn't usually make a mess at all.

• Love 6

I am seriously considering writing a letter to Santa and telling him if he will somehow convince all the networks I watch to quit showing Tracy Morgan's current commercial I will never ever, cross my heart and hope to die, ever ask for anything else.  This commercial is on every single commercial break and sometimes they show it twice during one commercial break!  I didn't like it the first 500 times I watched it and I hate it even more now.

btw, while I was writing this it came on again.  Nooooooo!

• LOL 4
17 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I know it’s been discussed before but, ugh, “Ghirardelli ‘carmul’ squares” just makes me crazy! First, “caramel” has three syllables! Why is this so hard? Second, that stupid one-millimeter bite the asshole woman takes is ridiculous. Sorry, I am in a nasty mood so maybe it’s making me madder than usual!

Carmul vs. care-a-mel must be one of those regional things.  I think I say “carmul” but neither one strikes me as wrong. As for biting into a caramel-filled chocolate, I think there’s no good way. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
11 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Carmul vs. care-a-mel must be one of those regional things.  I think I say “carmul” but neither one strikes me as wrong. As for biting into a caramel-filled chocolate, I think there’s no good way. 

But any way you do it is good! I love caramel.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

. As for biting into a caramel-filled chocolate, I think there’s no good way. 

Too hard makes you gnaw and drool (“that’s what she said!”) and too soft refuses to acknowledge the bite and disengage!

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

Pets are being abused and neglected! 

The commercial with the abused pets looking all sad and lonely while "Silent Night" plays in the background is just brutal :(. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

"Merry Christmas! 

Elephants are going extinct! 

Pets are being abused and neglected! 

Children are starving in Niger! 

Be of good cheer!" 

I only had the tv on for 45 minutes, for pity's sake. Can you please let me get through my lunch without crying? 

You forgot the polar bears drowning! I can't watch these ads for one second.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

The commercial with the abused pets looking all sad and lonely while "Silent Night" plays in the background is just brutal :(. 

It totally is. I can't watch them at all, and I wonder how the camera person can just stand there and film these poor things!

• Love 3