Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, CattyK said:

Aaagh!  Clicked the link, wow that is annoying.  She has a problem with Rs also “fwum now on…..have you-self a mewwy”.

I really don’t get what people like about this sound.  

It's atrocious.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I really despise this year's Peloton commercials with the fake Ebenezer Scrooge,  but I am not sure if it's better or worse than the one with the hesitant ingénue woman. 🤔

It would have helped if Scrooge didn't just use it for himself but threw open his home and let Tiny Tim and other challenged folks use the Pelaton for free physical therapy! I mean, isn't Christmas supposed to be about giving to others instead of just treating oneself?

Edited by Blergh
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

It would have helped if Scrooge didn't just use it for himself but threw upon his home and let Tiny Tim and other challenged folks use the Pelaton for free physical therapy! I mean, isn't Christmas supposed to be about giving to others instead of just treating oneself?

I don't know what Pelaton is but I think I'm really glad I missed these ads! They sound ridiculous.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm tired of Ice-T telling me my car is going to break down. Including my current car, my cars since 1982 have been Hondas. They don't break down.  Now, if I still owned the MGB, that'd be another story...

Bloody Lucas, The Prince of Darkness.

I was hoping to get through this holiday season only seeing the original Hershey's Kisses commercial but in the last two days, I've seen the horrible new one constantly. :-(

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I was hoping to get through this holiday season only seeing the original Hershey's Kisses commercial but in the last two days, I've seen the horrible new one constantly. :-(

Same and same, and that new one is pissing me off.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Bloody Lucas, The Prince of Darkness.

14 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Same and same, and that new one is pissing me off.

Me too!! Ugh, I really dislike the new one!!

• Love 3

I don't like the Spectrum Mobile commercial where people turn into giants and start walking through a city because it is similar to the season 2 & 3 opening credits for Suddenly Susan, and seeing the commercial reminds me that I watched that show.

• LOL 6
On 11/22/2021 at 1:03 PM, Dirtybubble said:

Agree!  I think it's also meant to do away with the uncomfortable-ness & taboo of using tampons and periods in general.  When i was a young teen you NEVER EVER discussed periods or how to use any of the feminine products with anyone!  You had one conversation with your mom and that was it.  Anyone too embarrassed to bring it up to your doctor (who was not only a stranger but usually older and a man) just had to figure it out on your own.  Then again I lived in a very conservative, small town.

I'm glad it's not only 2 women discussing it but Amy brings a bit of light humor to everything to help people relax and an actual doctor there to help you along.

What taboo about tampons and periods now? Decades ago, there was. Now there is not. I think there will always be a certain level of discomfort among many young girls of talking about periods or any private bodily function, but I disagree that anyone thinks talking about periods and supplies are forbidden and shameful.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, susannah said:

but I disagree that anyone thinks talking about periods and supplies are forbidden and shameful.

Not forbidden and shameful, but some things should be private and not displayed all over commercial television.  A bent penis is another.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
lots of blank space removed after Bosco strolled across the keyboard, standing on the enter key.
  • Love 15

I really want the tiger in those ads for Meta to get about his business and just eat the damn water buffalo so I don't have to see them any more.

Hulu is advertising a live restaging of the sitcom Different Strokes which I think is a depressing concept given how publicly (and tragically) the kids struggled after the show ended.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Not forbidden and shameful, but some things should be private and not displayed all over commercial television.  A bent penis is another.

I absolutely agree that discussion of all bodily functions should be private and not discussed in graphic detail on tv, but on the other hand, the ad with Amy Schumer and the dr showing the correct position for tampons probably is helpful for some young girls.

• Love 4
On 12/1/2021 at 12:43 PM, peacheslatour said:

I just saw the commercial for Carolina Herrera Good Girl/Bad Boy fragrances. It annoys, irritates and outright enrages me that the men's fragrance bottle is shaped like a lightning bolt while the women's is shaped like a device used to torture and maim women for decades.

image.png.5cc65d98cde1b846c31cf6bd183c1671.png

I missed seeing this post. It reminds me of a class I took in college, in which one day we saw how women are used in advertising around the world. I left the class literally crying. Not only images such as this, but containers shaped like women's bodies, a woman bloody and crawling toward a shoe display, and other horrifying images of complete disrespect and diminishing. It is much worse in Europe than here. This was a while back and it doesn't look like things have changed much.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, susannah said:

I missed seeing this post. It reminds me of a class I took in college, in which one day we saw how women are used in advertising around the world. I left the class literally crying. Not only images such as this, but containers shaped like women's bodies, a woman bloody and crawling toward a shoe display, and other horrifying images of complete disrespect and diminishing. It is much worse in Europe than here. This was a while back and it doesn't look like things have changed much.

No, sadly I think it's getting worse.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, susannah said:

I absolutely agree that discussion of all bodily functions should be private and not discussed in graphic detail on tv, but on the other hand, the ad with Amy Schumer and the dr showing the correct position for tampons probably is helpful for some young girls.

I managed to figure it out by (gasp!) reading the directions. Probably at least half the women who use/have used tampons learned how on their own.

• Love 9
On 11/22/2021 at 9:14 PM, CattyK said:

I hate that Rakuten commercial too!  Agree her outfit is terrible.  What I hate most is that she sings “ on the twelfth day of cha-ching”, as if they’ve turned the holiday into nothing more than “cha-ching”…. A term I’ve always hated in any context.  I think this may be my least favorite holiday commercial ever.  

I came in here knowing I'd find out what she actually says... I keep hearing "chachingle" and it DRIVES ME CRAZY!

• Love 2
15 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

I kind of love this one. Is is awful and I am missing something?

Well, I feel it sinks into old tropes of older woman initially afraid of the young Black man and then warms to him and they become special friends. But more importantly, I think the dialogue is written very badly for the woman and she comes off as annoying rather than endearing.

I don't see her as afraid. She's startled - holy crap, she forgot her wallet!  Then he tries to carry her bags, but she's an independent old broad and wants to do it herself until he insists. I don't think it's clunky dialogue, either - English isn't her first language.

What cracks me up is the disclaimer that not all products have the same details.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Aqua said:

Well, I feel it sinks into old tropes of older woman initially afraid of the young Black man and then warms to him and they become special friends. But more importantly, I think the dialogue is written very badly for the woman and she comes off as annoying rather than endearing.

I disagree that it is about a woman being afraid of a black man. I think it is about an older, vulnerable woman who is startled by a STRANGE man running up to her, which is very realistic. White men rob and hurt and kill women too, especially defenseless women. I like the ad, I think it is very sweet, and I don't think she is annoying at all. I like how they become friends.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

I really liked the Etsy ad last year when the son brings his boyfriend to spend Christmas with his family. Boyfriend is feeling out of place and not sure of their acceptance. He watches everyone else exchanging presents and suddenly the father hands him one and warmly says, "we didn't forget about you." It's a Christmas ornament with his son's and the boyfriend's names on it. 

At the opposite end of the commercials spectrum, I tend to DVR everything so I fast forward through them. However, I watch or have the MSNBC evening lineup on in the background as the shows are airing. I have one question: Why does Liberty Mutual need to run so many g-damn commercials every hour?!? 

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't see her as afraid. She's startled - holy crap, she forgot her wallet!  Then he tries to carry her bags, but she's an independent old broad and wants to do it herself until he insists. I don't think it's clunky dialogue, either - English isn't her first language.

What cracks me up is the disclaimer that not all products have the same details.

It's not a matter of English not being her first language. In fact, she speaks perfect English. However, as a writer, I am attuned to dialogue that is more "telly" than it should be, rather than realistic. For example, she says, "Well, you gotta run back to the store so you don't get cold." A more realistic line would be "You gotta run back so you don't get cold." "The store" is superfluous. He knows where he's going, but the writer is trying to sneak in exposition to make things clear, and it's not necessary and comes off as clunky, IMO.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 12/1/2021 at 2:43 PM, peacheslatour said:

I just saw the commercial for Carolina Herrera Good Girl/Bad Boy fragrances. It annoys, irritates and outright enrages me that the men's fragrance bottle is shaped like a lightning bolt while the women's is shaped like a device used to torture and maim women for decades.

image.png.5cc65d98cde1b846c31cf6bd183c1671.png

To be fair, lightning bolts CAN torture, maim and even kill men who get struck by them. Granted, this is instantaneous, as opposed to longterm re stiletto heels. 

• LOL 2
4 minutes ago, Blergh said:

To be fair, lightning bolts CAN torture, maim and even kill men who get struck by them. Granted, this is instantaneous, as opposed to longterm re stiletto heels. 

They can do the same to women. Unlike stiletto heels.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

But women aren't being encouraged to seek out lightning bolts-but it seems men ARE at least via this design!

One commercial that I have seen boggles my mind, and any parent would have to be out of their minds to get it for their kid.That is the SpyBox or whatever it's called. It allows the kid to put a coded lock on their door, set alarms and tripwires for anyone around, for God's sake.

53 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Agreed, and men aren't wanting to get struck by lightning in order to be attractive to women. The reverse is true.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, susannah said:

One commercial that I have seen boggles my mind, and any parent would have to be out of their minds to get it for their kid.That is the SpyBox or whatever it's called. It allows the kid to put a coded lock on their door, set alarms and tripwires for anyone around, for God's sake.

Agreed, and men aren't wanting to get struck by lightning in order to be attractive to women. The reverse is true.

Although a woman could smack a man over the head with a stiletto heel. That could do some damage.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I did a little forum searching, and it looks like there was some conversation a while back about the Hanes commercial with the guy on the mechanical bull (and other places) who talked about keeping things separated for 'BALL-ance'.  Well, it annoyed me, but I noticed that when I've seen the same commercial during the last few days, he now definitely says 'balance', with no emphasis on 'ball'.  Maybe there were enough complaints so that they had the audio re-recorded with the change?  (I still don't like the commercial, but it's now slightly less annoying.)

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 1
On 11/27/2021 at 10:10 AM, andromeda331 said:

She might be the first woman in a commercial who moved to A Place for Mom to get away from her daughter.

I've warned my family if they ever came in my room and opened my drapes while I'm sleeping. I can't promise they won't be harmed.

One Mothers' Day many years ago my (now ex) husband rounded up my small children and made me breakfast in bed.  They jumped on top of me, shocking me awake on the one day a year a mom should be able to sleep as long as she wants.  My narcissistic ex didn't understand why I wasn't grateful to him.  If we were still married, I'd already be living in A Place for the Wives of Selfish Assholes.

Back to commercals:

All the Geico gecko commercials make me lunge for the remote.

I can't stand the ad for Gain Scent Beads set in the supermarket with practically orgasmic Alice and the half asleep sales clerk.

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 7
16 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I did a little forum searching, and it looks like there was some conversation a while back about the Hanes commercial with the guy on the mechanical bull (and other places) who talked about keeping things separated for 'BALL-ance'.  Well, it annoyed me, but I noticed that when I've seen the same commercial during the last few days, he now definitely says 'balance', with no emphasis on 'ball'.  Maybe there were enough complaints so that they had the audio re-recorded with the change?  (I still don't like the commercial, but it's now slightly less annoying.)

What I haven't understood about this ad from the beginning is why it features this douchey-looking guy with a Eurotrash accent. This just doesn't scream 'Hanes customer base'. Also, although I'm familiar with the concept of a saddle pommel, it seems that scene is thrown in to be (kind of) offensive- and why would this character be on a horse anyway?

• Love 2
On 12/4/2021 at 6:05 PM, Crashcourse said:

Finally saw Martha.  I hope grandma gets run over by a reindeer. 

Martha got run over by a reindeer
Walking home from Shatner's Christmas Eve
George Foreman and Joe Namath told ol' JJ
"Andromada DeBerry does believe."

• LOL 19
15 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Martha got run over by a reindeer
Walking home from Shatner's Christmas Eve
George Foreman and Joe Namath told ol' JJ
"Andromada DeBerry does believe."

On a related note, regarding your mention of Shatner...is there a reason he needs to make a big thing out of holding up each of his fingers when counting to three in his ad? Like, yes, good job, you know how to count to three!

Edited by Annber03
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1