Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

23 minutes ago, dleighg said:

why is granddad just looking on? Shouldn't he join in the dance with his wife?

He does at the end.  It's something the grandson wanted to do with her, they finish and hug, and then she invites her husband to step in.  It's be pretty rude if he shoved the kid out of the way to take over.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

He does at the end.

I've only seen the 30 sec version on TV (like I said, I liked the reference to Parton in this reference). In that one there's no granddad dancing. Made me sad.

• Love 2

5 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I've only seen the 30 sec version on TV (like I said, I liked the reference to Parton in this reference). In that one there's no granddad dancing. Made me sad.

I've never seen it on TV, just the one in the link you posted.  But the shorter version wouldn't bother me; it was the kid's gift to his grandma (cheapskate 😄), so if it ended with their hug, I'd still think it was kind of cute (yet rather twee).

But I have one that does annoy me.  I like several of the AT&T commercials where a poor connection yields disastrous misunderstanding on video calls, but the "lullaby turns into unintentional horror movie" one bugs me (I can't find it on YouTube, but it's on iSpot).  First, I would think in this day and age the kids realize what's happening, but setting that aside - What's the grandma's problem?  She acts like the mom purposely scared the kids.  At the beginning, she calls her "honey", so I figured she's her mom, but the way she acts at the end, I have this whole story in my mind where she's her mother-in-law and secretly hates her.

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

On a related note, regarding your mention of Shatner...is there a reason he needs to make a big thing out of holding up each of his fingers when counting to three in his ad? Like, yes, good job, you know how to count to three!

Because he originally holds up four fingers and has to use his other hand to push the extra finger down. I have no idea why they thought that would be funny.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, susannah said:

It sounds alot like Dolly though!

I didn't think so at first (maybe just because I know her voice practically as well as I do my own), but after another listen I can hear what some are hearing.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I didn't think so at first (maybe just because I know her voice practically as well as I do my own), but after another listen I can hear what some are hearing.

I knew it wasn't her but she does sound like she's attempting Dolly's style. 

• Love 3

Some Nerf gun commercial where they say something like "Yeah, the kids made the holiday meal this year." and everybody whips out Nerf guns and start blasting each other at the dinner table. SMDH.

I hate that one and I also hate the one with the friends getting together for a holiday potluck. One woman brings a frozen lasagna. Another brings a beautifully decorated cake. A guy is in charge of the cheese plate. Then some doofus brings a braciole. Judging by the disapproving looks of his fellow diners, it's terrible. It's his Nona's recipe. "Was she a good cook?" someone asks. "Ah, no," he replies.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Martha got run over by a reindeer
Walking home from Shatner's Christmas Eve
George Foreman and Joe Namath told ol' JJ
"Andromada DeBerry does believe."

Hearing aids and glasses may be covered
Vision and prescriptions might be, too
All of this comes with no co-pay
Holy crap, please tell me this is true

Danny Glover sitting on his front stoop
Telling you you may get money back
Call this number cause it's free, you numbnuts
Before you go and have a heart attack.

Medicare Advantage run by others
Sucking the Medicare teat dry
Eight hundred bucks a month per person
To try to see that you don't up and die.

Open Enrollment ends December Seventh
That doesn't mean the ads are gonna stop
We'll keep running them until doomsday
They'll run forever or until you drop.

• LOL 20
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Open Enrollment ends December Seventh
That doesn't mean the ads are gonna stop

I was just going to wish you all a happy no more enrollment day!

Y'all are too clever.

• LOL 5
  • Love 11

Re Samuel Jackson Capital One Commercial with him popping onto Santa's 'puter screen to shill the card: 

I hope Santa gives Mr. Jackson nothing more than a sockful of ASHES for popping up on his 'puter (and I wish Santa would give ashes to  all those   who pop on  screens  for non life-and-death emergency purposes  )!

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Thank you. I couldn't fall asleep - the verses just kept writing themselves as I tried to.

You need to copyright your poem!

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Re Samuel Jackson Capital One Commercial with him popping onto Santa's 'puter screen to shill the card: 

I hope Santa gives Mr. Jackson nothing more than a sockful of ASHES for popping up on his 'puter (and I wish Santa would give all those   who pop on  screens  for non life-and-death emergency purposes ashes for doing the same)!

I need to access my Medicare Advantage with Vision coverage.  When I quickly read this I thought it said "pooping onto Santa's 'puter screen to shit on the card."

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

Please, please, please - SPARE ME from the Lume ads!  

Chick in leggings and sports bra in yoga class "use it on pits, feet or your other stinky parts (grabs feet and a v-spread with legs) "Ahhhhhhh"

Stinky parts?  I thought we stopped being coy with the Vexxi ad.  Just say vagina or butt crack

Patiently waiting for the Ball Wash commercials so guys can have equal opportunity humiliation in the private part cleanliness area

• Love 10
On 12/3/2021 at 5:59 PM, peacheslatour said:

I was hoping to get through this holiday season only seeing the original Hershey's Kisses commercial but in the last two days, I've seen the horrible new one constantly. :-(

My cat keeps getting tricked and disappointed. Ever since he was a baby, he's loved the original commercial.  

• Love 4
On 12/3/2021 at 7:11 PM, Gramto6 said:

Me too!! Ugh, I really dislike the new one!!

They could've made a cute commercial with a dad and his daughter making those cookies with Hershey Kisses, and people would've loved it.  But no, they had to defile the original Hershey Kisses bells commercials instead.

On 12/4/2021 at 2:20 PM, susannah said:

What taboo about tampons and periods now? Decades ago, there was. Now there is not. I think there will always be a certain level of discomfort among many young girls of talking about periods or any private bodily function, but I disagree that anyone thinks talking about periods and supplies are forbidden and shameful.

I don't particularly want to hear about someone else's bodily functions of any kind, except in a medical show, I guess, but yeah, it's not really taboo anymore.  If that Amy Schumer commercial helps some young girl just starting to use tampons, great.  I'm just glad not to see her on my tv anymore than I have to.

On 12/4/2021 at 3:22 PM, xaxat said:

Hulu is advertising a live restaging of the sitcom Different Strokes

It's a live staging of it and The Facts Of Life on NBC.  I never liked either show.

On 12/5/2021 at 12:58 PM, susannah said:

THIS!

Even the ones I like ("We're not getting you a helicopter.") don't need to be in every single commercial break.

22 hours ago, dleighg said:

And I picked this reference because I was CERTAIN it was Dolly Parton singing.

I thought it was too, at first.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, ctlady said:

Please, please, please - SPARE ME from the Lume ads!  

Chick in leggings and sports bra in yoga class "use it on pits, feet or your other stinky parts (grabs feet and a v-spread with legs) "Ahhhhhhh"

Stinky parts?  I thought we stopped being coy with the Vexxi ad.  Just say vagina or butt crack

Patiently waiting for the Ball Wash commercials so guys can have equal opportunity humiliation in the private part cleanliness area

God I hate that commercial.  Not even for the obvious, but for the suggestion that we all need special deodorant for "down there" (as they'd put it).  No, we don't.  Wash regularly (with soap and water, nothing special needed) and your vagina and butt should smell just fine; if they don't, you should really see a doctor.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
8 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Wash regularly (with soap and water, nothing special needed) and your vagina and butt should smell just fine; if they don't, you should really see a doctor.

The vagina is self cleaning, and washing it - with soap or douche - can actually be harmful (by altering its pH, which is an infection risk).  The vulva should be washed; warm water is plenty, but a mild soap is fine.

So, yeah, ads telling women they need special products to clean "down there" are not only sending a horrible message, perpetuating the notion women's genitalia are inherently "dirty", especially during menstruation, they're promoting activity that can be physically harmful.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

The vagina is self cleaning, and washing it - with soap or douche - can actually be harmful (by altering its pH, which is an infection risk).  The vulva should be washed; warm water is plenty, but a mild soap is fine.

So, yeah, ads telling women they need special products to clean "down there" are not only sending a horrible message, perpetuating the notion women's genitalia are inherently "dirty", especially during menstruation, they're promoting activity that can be physically harmful.

I definitely meant washing the outside.  Those Summer's Eve commercials with their special wash for "down there" make me stabby.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
29 minutes ago, Bastet said:

So, yeah, ads telling women they need special products to clean "down there" are not only sending a horrible message

I don't know if this is along the same lines, but the Tena ad where the woman wakes up, goes into the bathroom and "rawwwwwrs' like a tigress at her reflection in the mirror before letting us know that her morning ministrations begin with taking care of (glances downward) that skin.  

Is urine more harsh on that skin than menstrual blood?

56 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't particularly want to hear about someone else's bodily functions of any kind, except in a medical show

Neither do I.  I get it - we have to advertise for these things and want to make them as relatable to the reality of why we need them.  I just don't need the gross descriptive verbiage (nor Amy Schumer's pig face).  I'm well into menopause and I still cringe when I watch Mean Girls ("people think I'm not a virgin because I wear super jumbo tampons, but I can't help it that I have a heavy flow and a wide set vagina")

But then there's Drew Barrymore's description in Blended when Adam Sandler's buying super tampons for his 15 year old daughter whose 'friend' just paid a visit, "this is for a much OLDER friend....a much HEAVIER friend....staying in a much bigger ROOM than your daughter had"  That always cracks me up!

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

They could've made a cute commercial with a dad and his daughter making those cookies with Hershey Kisses, and people would've loved it.  But no, they had to defile the original Hershey Kisses bells commercials instead.

I don't particularly want to hear about someone else's bodily functions of any kind, except in a medical show, I guess, but yeah, it's not really taboo anymore.  If that Amy Schumer commercial helps some young girl just starting to use tampons, great.  I'm just glad not to see her on my tv anymore than I have to.

It's a live staging of it and The Facts Of Life on NBC.  I never liked either show.

Even the ones I like ("We're not getting you a helicopter.") don't need to be in every single commercial break.

I thought it was too, at first.

I also thought it was Dolly at first. I agree that they are getting carried away with Limu Emu ads being shown so often, but I would much rather see them than the stupid, disgusting ones. The helicopter one is pretty funny, and who sat at my desk, as feathers fly... I really liked the one they don't show any more, where they are on stakeout, and the guy is going to take a nap, and tells emu to let him know if he hears anything, and then an acorn drops on the car and emu goes crazy..

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I agree. I really dislike this one for that reason.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, amass said:

As someone who suffers with incontinence I unequivocally say yes.

Urine is absolutely harsher on skin than menstrual blood. Two words..diaper rash! With people who are older and/or sick, and may have reduced hydration levels, urine will scald skin.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

God I hate that commercial.  Not even for the obvious, but for the suggestion that we all need special deodorant for "down there" (as they'd put it).  No, we don't.  Wash regularly (with soap and water, nothing special needed) and your vagina and butt should smell just fine; if they don't, you should really see a doctor.

I'm kinda wondering what people are doing to detect the smell.

• LOL 7
On 10/26/2021 at 11:58 PM, CrystalBlue said:

Falling for what?  These Medicare Advantage plans, as annoying and irritating as the commercials are as well as being aired continuously from October to December, are bona fide plans offered by real insurance companies to supplement Parts A and B of Medicare.  You can't just be covered by Medicare alone.  You need prescription coverage for one thing.  Many are zero premiums and zero deductibles and offer added benefits.  The trick is conquering the task of comparing all the plans available in your area to see what's right for you.  They aren't a trick or a gimmick.

It's all a sales pitch! 

The "real insurance companies" you mention have licensed brokers answer those calls.  They're pitching their products and they're not doing it for free.

I'm on Medicare and have AARP supplemental plans for doctor/hospital and Rx.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, AnnA said:

It's all a sales pitch! 

The "real insurance companies" you mention have licensed brokers answer those calls.  They're pitching their products and they're not doing it for free.

I'm on Medicare and have AARP supplemental plans for doctor/hospital and Rx.  

AARP also has a Medicare Advantage Plan through United Healthcare, so AARP also has a "sales pitch."

• Love 2

I have secondary Medicare coverage from my late DH's health care retirement plan through United Health Care. It is a cadillac plan and if I ever changed I would lose it. It has served me well since 1997 and I will never change it. Been through spinal surgery, breast cancer, diabetes, any rx is $2.00 (for 3 month supply) and I am golden as far as costs are concerned. I am "Martha" I'm not calling!!!

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

AARP also has a Medicare Advantage Plan through United Healthcare, so AARP also has a "sales pitch."

They have to offer similar plans.  Those commercials are geared to make seniors think they're government sponsored.  They're insurance company sponsored.   They're making so much money off naive seniors that they can run commercials on TV 9 billion times a day.  It's disgraceful!

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 7

And, as I mentioned in the song lyrics, these insurance companies get paid by Medicare to "host" Medicare Advantage. Medicare pays them $800 per month, per person. The only time Medicare's Plans A & B ever paid that much for me was when I had my gall bladder removed. I didn't use Medicare AT ALL this year, so all those premiums I'm paying monthly is found money for them. I just hate to think they're using my premiums to pay Aetna $800 for M'Care Advantage, which doctors hate and many, MANY of them refuse to accept.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The only time Medicare's Plans A & B ever paid that much for me was when I had my gall bladder removed. I didn't use Medicare AT ALL this year, so all those premiums I'm paying monthly is found money for them

But, that's how insurance works.  If the insurance were paying out for the average person the same amount that they were taking in, they would be in the red every single year.  

The last time I checked which was about 3 years ago, the average American was spending $10K on health care.  Theoretically, that means everyone's premiums should be more than $10K a year if you want everything fully covered.

• Love 3
On 12/7/2021 at 1:18 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Danny Glover sitting on his front stoop
Telling you you may get money back
Call this number cause it's free,

Nothing is free. Not even "Medicare Advantage". 

If I'm wrong, please enlighten me. 

• Love 4

Calling the 800 numbers are free. You can choose to hang up on them and not be out any money. -- which is part of the annoying part of these commercials. We all KNOW 800 calls are toll-free, but by stressing that, it makes the "easily befuddled" seniors think the whole shebang is free.  Most of us know a LOT of seniors are not befuddled, but they keep playing on that stereotype - even those Jitterbug phone ads where the seniors can't even order their own phones, their kids have to do it for them

ETA: I'm 3 years younger than Medicare Martha and I took computer programming (COBOL) in high school. We boomers are not as tech-naive as the commercials want you to believe.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 11

It's a Xmas commercial, but it totally annoys me: Walgreen's curbside pickup/delivery.  "It's out-decorate the neighbors season..."  No. It's Christmas/Yule season. And if you think Christmas is all about one-upping people, you've got some serious problems.  So you've got a Clark Griswold set up of lights, etc.  So what?  Does that make you a better person? Will your boss give you a raise?  Will the neighborhood kids bow in awe and not TP your house when you're too goddamn cheap to give out good Hallowe'en candy because you've gotta save up to out-decorate the neighbors in two months? Do you make sure you have more snacks than your neighbors for SuperBowl?  Do you have a bigger dick than your neighbors?  Aha. NOW we get to the point. Newsflash: Nobody cares but the Walgreen's where you buy all that crap.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 6

Has anyone seen the ad about Sam's used books? It doesn't annoy me but I am confused. This old guy, Sam, has a new/used bookstore that is apparently closing, so a little girl goes around and collects books and suddenly Sam in back in business. What? If he could not afford to keep the store open, and buy books, how is one donation going to help him?

• Love 4

I just saw that one a minute ago!  I think the store had suffered a fire.

In the commercial for Xfinity that features characters from Sing 2, I'm getting really tired of the precocious child dog who gets to tout all of Xfinity's wonderful qualities.  It's even more annoying than if any of the other characters were explaining it.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I just saw that one a minute ago!  I think the store had suffered a fire.

In the commercial for Xfinity that features characters from Sing 2, I'm getting really tired of the precocious child dog who gets to tout all of Xfinity's wonderful qualities.  It's even more annoying than if any of the other characters were explaining it.

Ok thanks! They have shown it like five times tonight but I always miss the beginning of it.

Initially, I liked the Alexa commercial with the young couple/older couple dancing to "I Only Have Eyes for You."  Now it's annoying because they run it so damn often.  Plus, when the older lady is caressing her husband's face, she looks like she's thinking about either poisoning him or eating his face.  Creepy. 😁

Edited by Crashcourse
  • LOL 10
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

Initially, I liked the Alexa commercial with the young couple/older couple dancing to "I Only Have Eyes for You."  Now it's annoying because they run it so damn often.  Plus, when the older lady is caressing her husband's face, she looks like she's thinking about either poisoning him or eating his face.  Creepy. 😁

yeah, i find her look to be pretty creepy too

nice thought, but not the imaging

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Somebody I follow on Twitter came up with a backstory (based on the wheelchair tucked in the hallway) that the woman has dementia and her husband is now a stranger to her, but when the song plays that's the one moment in time between them that she still remembers. Now I can't unsee it that way.

Merry Christmas 😭

Edited by michelec
  • Love 8

I just saw an ad for Daisy sour cream, in which the family is having dinner, with baked potatoes. The kid, maybe 8 years old. picks up his entire potato with his fork and takes a bite of it. Demonstrating caveman manners, I guess.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

So Mr. Big died on his Peloton in the new version of Sex and the City, and Peloton is upset.  I'm hearing their stock dropped, which is stupid.  But anyway, they literally came up with an ad to counter the show.  With the actor who plays Mr. Big.

• LOL 9
7 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

This commercial caught my attention because I like The Platters.  However, it immediately bugged me because in the black & white flashback, the man is a full head or more taller than the woman.  When they flash to full color "today" they're both about the same height.

So, either hubby shrank a full 8 or 10 inches, or the guy at the prom isn't her man now.

• Love 5