Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

More songs from commercials I forgot to mention that irritate me. On MSNBC, and I haven't the faintest idea what the ad is for, "I'm a thousand miles from nowhere." To me, if you are a thousand miles from nowhere, you've made choices, so shut up. 

I think it's T Mobile, "I want it all, I want it all and I want it now." That's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

More songs from commercials I forgot to mention that irritate me. On MSNBC, and I haven't the faintest idea what the ad is for, "I'm a thousand miles from nowhere."

That's a Dwight Yoakam song, so I just did a search for commercials using it.  There's one for something called YETI featuring a cover version.  It's not terrible, but has nothing on the original.  And the commercial is about - as, upon looking up the company, YETI is about - "outdoor" stuff including hunting and fishing, so I'm not the target audience (I like hiking, and would like boating if not for my motion sickness, but the rest is not my jam).  But I don't mind the song.

Yes, Yeti coolers and insulated cups are a well-known brand.    They really do work as well as advertised, but they also are expensive.   The Yeti cups are well insulated, and I have a friend who drives from Alabama to Florida, or sometimes Arizona for golf tournaments, (not now obviously) and he can put ice tea in a few Yeti cups, and when he arrives he still has ice and the tea isn't diluted.      

I like that commercial for the scenery. 

I just saw the Rumchata commercial.    It's awful!

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
On 12/21/2020 at 5:24 PM, Brookside said:

Mark Jacobs' Daisy - commercials for pedophiles.

The one with the nymph-like young women in a meadow? I didn't get that impression at all. 

OTOH, the ones for Calvin Klein a decade or two ago...

20 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I have never eaten anything that makes me break into song or more specifically, drank anything that makes me start making weird musical? noises. I really hate the Krueg or Kreug - I don't drink coffee so I have no need for one and I don't know how to spell it. Those two fools are annoying me nearly as much as the crappy song in the Old Navy Christmas commercials. 

I don't like the one guy who does "car radio karioke", but who thought RuPaul would be a good choice for Old Navy?

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Ubiquit0us said:

The one with the nymph-like young women in a meadow? I didn't get that impression at all. 

OTOH, the ones for Calvin Klein a decade or two ago...

I don't like the one guy who does "car radio karioke", but who thought RuPaul would be a good choice for Old Navy?

Is he too fabulous for a casual company like Old Navy?

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
On 12/23/2020 at 3:03 PM, Browncoat said:

I see it as the little girl is a NASCAR fan, but not a Hamlin fan, and the PJ comment is a burn.  Still don't know what that has to do with pizza, though.

Dominoes sponsors Denny Hamlin. 

• Useful 2
11 hours ago, Blergh said:

Her line  (in a snide tone ) was "Hey, Hamlin. Nice PJ's!"

Actually, I was going to say, "He's not your flunky  and you're not his boss. He's   an adult, Kiddo. So, unless he asks otherwise, try to muster SOME manners and call him Mr. Hamlin- even if you still think you have to be a  smartmouth about a total stranger's  uniform!"

I'm by no means a racing car fan but that commercial REALLY rubs me the wrong way. Hence, I'd like to think her parents/guardian in the car gives her a verbal dressing down about how needlessly snotty she was to a total stranger adult (and how doing that can potentially risk the wrong adult to   react more strongly  than  just giving a bemused/embarrassed look and ask 'P.J.s?'). BTW, I am NOT saying she or any other child would deserve (much less 'ask for') any kind of nonverbal assault or worse as a reaction but doing that WOULD put her at increased risk for it- especially compared to   just sitting quietly in one's own car and minding one's  own. (There was truly no reason for her not to have done the latter option). 

Haven't seen the commercial, as I'm too busy watching the sentimental and sappy Christmas Love Stories movies on Hallmark.  Just kidding.  😍  I've found plenty of other series that I hadn't watched before but are timed to be released now so you can enjoy the Christmas episodes.  Just here to say I hate brats in all their versions.  What ever happened to the sports commercials where the "hero" bonds with or inspires a kid to show he or she is a nice person?

• Love 4

I'm thinking perhaps the MoTaur is a dick because he doesn't have one. He's got a motorcycle.

I saw an ad this morning that really enraged me. Optima Tax Relief.  "I owed the IRS $15000, but only had to pay $3500 thanks to Optima Tax!"  Oh, thank you. You can break the law, not pay your taxes, and when you get caught, end up only paying a pittance of what you owed, while the rest of us do the right thing and pay what we owe on time, like good citizens. And these people seem like they're PROUD of being lawbreakers and dishonorable people.  I'd be embarrassed to show my face in an ad like that. Scofflaws.

• Love 20
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm thinking perhaps the MoTaur is a dick because he doesn't have one. He's got a motorcycle.

They've long served as surrogate penises among a certain sort of man, so why not for him?

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

Then we have another in which the lady says, "With my winnings, I took my kids down to the shore and we had a nice weekend together." Haha, that "to" in there tells me she may not be a Jersey native! (Don't scold me now; I am sure there are some of us here in the state who don't drop the preposition!)

There's a commercial in southern California for a used car lot that says to come visit them on THE PCH. (Pacific Coast Highway.) Now I know the commercial writer is not from California because we say on PCH, not on THE PCH.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Darlabutterfly said:

There's a commercial in southern California for a used car lot that says to come visit them on THE PCH. (Pacific Coast Highway.) Now I know the commercial writer is not from California because we say on PCH, not on THE PCH.

I'll bet the ad copywriter is from Southern California, where "the" is common before freeway names and numbers but I don't recall anyone ever using it before PCH. That is odd.

There's a new Apple commercial that talks about people who don't enter a room quietly,  or play by the rules,  etc. My reaction? 

"So, what you're saying is that  Apple users are  assholes."

"Thank you for coming to our focus group.  Get out. "

• LOL 13

Ok, Ciara is gorgeous.  Also to me she doesn’t look like she has a weight issue, but I don’t know what’s in her mind.  We feel how we feel.

HOWEVER.  Her husband is a multi-million dollar NFL Super Bowl-winning quarterback.  Surely she doesn’t need Weight Watchers?  I mean, with how Russell Wilson is, I feel he must have a nutritionist on staff at all times.

Also is it a good idea to have your small children eat Weight Watchers too?

I don’t think there is anything wrong with using WW but I feel like her house has a state of the art gym as well and I just can’t relate.

• Love 5
On 12/23/2020 at 2:01 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

All afternoon they've been showing the commercial where the Hershey Kisses become cookies.   I'm upset now.  

You and me both! I read that they were going to be running both commercials this holiday season but I have seen the breakaway to cookies version dozens of times and the classic one zero times.

• Love 3

I've only seen them once each, and I don't have the same feelings for the original many do - I like the simplicity of the original and think the little "phew" is cute, but I have no emotional attachment to it - so it hasn't bothered me.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Ok, Ciara is gorgeous.  Also to me she doesn’t look like she has a weight issue, but I don’t know what’s in her mind.  We feel how we feel.

HOWEVER.  Her husband is a multi-million dollar NFL Super Bowl-winning quarterback.  Surely she doesn’t need Weight Watchers?  I mean, with how Russell Wilson is, I feel he must have a nutritionist on staff at all times.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with using WW but I feel like her house has a state of the art gym as well and I just can’t relate.

Ciara did just have a baby a few months ago, but like you said she probably has a gym at her house and can afford a trainer. Depending on how much the sponsorship is paying her, it may have been hard to resist taking the money.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I feel like a woman should make her own money, if she can, so that she isn't dependent on her husband's income and largesse. One never knows what will happen in the future. I can't drag Ciara for signing on as a WW spokesperson. 

I haven't seen the ad, but I do have something of a concern if it's shilling WW prepared foods as being the best for little kids. Learning about fresh, healthy foods that taste good? Check. Learning that you don't have to be deprived to maintain a healthy eating lifestyle? Check. Learning about portion control? Check (I'm looking at you, Kraft, with your ads showing little kids ecstatic at being served enormous portions of your powdered mac & cheese). Learning that frozen foods are what children should eat on the regular? No.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I am seeing the classic commercial but it is at a ratio of 3 new to 1 old. Which is sad to me.

You and my cat both. He gets so ear-perky when he hears that "ahem" before the first bell, but is then disappointed!

• LOL 2
On 12/23/2020 at 5:18 PM, Scout Finch said:

Who are the people who give cars as Christmas gifts? And will they adopt me?

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/12/26/marcus-allen-car-surprise-christmas/

The mother of Steeler's Marcus Allen was surprise gifted a car from him.  

On 12/24/2020 at 9:49 AM, chessiegal said:

Well, I must be getting a different type of Pillsbury, because I have the hardest time getting them open. Sometimes even my husband has a hard time. Fingers, knife, whack - it takes many attempts every time.

Use the edge of a large spoon. Works every time for me.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 3

The main thing that annoys me about these so-called Bank services.You are giving away your banking information to somebody that you don't know you can trust. After you get that first pay early guess what you still have to wait 7 days for the next one so what's the difference.once you are able to game control over your finances there is no better feeling in the world it is rewarding above all anything else that you'll encounter in your life work towards that you will not need these services.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I have such a bizarre, synesthesia-like issue with that type of voice! The one that does so many commercials (and possibly the narration on Love It or List It) on HGTV makes me crazy.

Do you mean synesthesia or misophonia? The kind of voice that gets me is when people are supposed to be speaking soothingly. I find it abhorrent. There's an ad for some wellness app whose narrator's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I find it completely unsoothing. The lady who played Ross's ex-wife's partner on Friends has a similar quality to her voice, even when she's not being soothing.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Do you mean synesthesia or misophonia? The kind of voice that gets me is when people are supposed to be speaking soothingly. I find it abhorrent. There's an ad for some wellness app whose narrator's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I find it completely unsoothing. The lady who played Ross's ex-wife's partner on Friends has a similar quality to her voice, even when she's not being soothing.

The new Folger's commercial singer's voice make want to jam railroad spikes into my eardrums.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
On 12/16/2020 at 11:57 AM, peacheslatour said:

I have one you heat in the microwave. It is filled with lavender and some kind of beans. It's nice and heavy.

I have one of those its called a bed buddy and I bought it from bed, Bath & beyond. The heating pad I bought several months ago it  suck, It barely puts out any heat and I have it cranked up high.

On 12/24/2020 at 5:55 AM, icemiser69 said:

So I go to the Daisy website looking for that recipe that those sour cream wearing fools were making, but I couldn't find it.   That commercial needs to spend less time focusing on sour cream and more time focusing on the recipe.

I did find a Blueberry Sour Cream Pie Bars recipe.   They look tasty.

I saw the commercial the other day and I was wondering what they were making. Its called Nana's cranberry orange bread. the first ingredient is 1 cup of daisy sour cream lol

• LOL 1
27 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

I have one of those its called a bed buddy and I bought it from bed, Bath & beyond. The heating pad I bought several months ago it  suck, It barely puts out any heat and I have it cranked up high.

I got mine from Amazon. It gets nice and hot.

image.png.d26770d57b143e953f4c8b9481eeebbe.png

• Love 2