Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

On 11/22/2017 at 11:30 PM, Bastet said:

don't you want to have have some serious input (make/model, but also features and even color) on something you're going to drive for the next 15-20 years? 

You or I may keep a car that long, but I think most of the people in these commercials will be trading it in on the next one in a few years.

• Love 5

The Addiction Network and the borderline abusive "doctor" who does everything but cluck his tongue at the camera.

The hamsters in the Kia commercials.  I detest these commercials!!  Who is buying a car because it was driven by a creepy, anthropomorphic rodent??

The Farmers Insurance commercials which cover the 8 claims they've actually ever paid (brought about by human stupidity) and hope you forget about the thousands of legit ones that require the threat of legal action to pay.

And finally, the guy with the smug sneer in his voice who does the voiceover for the Mazda commercials.  Hate.  His.  Voice!!

• Love 5

I hate that Salvation Army commercial too - not for the reasons previously stated - but because it takes into account that the girl in need of help actually went to get it [from SA] in the first place!!  I do give the creators credit that the little girl didn't give the coat directly to the needy girl - that would have been too obvious.  

However, the message still would have been the same - a girl gave up her coat (which was needed for the coming winter season) and donated money to the kettle which may not go to the specific girl she wanted to help!!  All she did was get rid of a coat her parents paid good money for and returned it for money to give to an organization when the family could have chosen to donate money together as a family.   I think the SA is a worthy charity but the message in the ad is all wrong!!   This is the season for the angel trees and similar toy drives and the message could have been that the girl is lucky to have what she has but she can still help others without depriving herself.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Moose135 said:

You or I may keep a car that long, but I think most of the people in these commercials will be trading it in on the next one in a few years.

Don't these people just lease these things for like two or three years then turn them back in for a newer model?

• Love 3

I hope to never see it again since Cyber Monday is almost finished, but the Old Navy commercial with the lady singing in the bathtub is irritating as all get out.

Does anyone remember a Walgreen's commercial where a wife destroys her husband's doughnut because it isn't healthy? It always made my blood pressure shoot up when I saw it. Like, seriously woman, let the man eat his doughnut.

I found it!

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7w1d/walgreens-corner-of-good-intentions-and-powdered-donuts

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Rosiejuliemom said:

Does anyone remember a Walgreen's commercial where a wife destroys her husband's doughnut because it isn't healthy? It always made my blood pressure shoot up when I saw it. Like, seriously woman, let the man eat his doughnut.

I found it!

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7w1d/walgreens-corner-of-good-intentions-and-powdered-donuts

I'm going to my local Krispy Kreme tomorrow morning for warm doughnuts.  Take that! you doughnut--hating bitch!.

• Love 17
14 minutes ago, smittykins said:

It's like those Ghiredelli(sp?) ads featuring women nibbling daintily at the corner of a one-inch square of chocolate while smiling naughtily.  Makes me want to inhale one of those giant Hershey bars out of spite.

I felt the same way about the truth anti-smoking commercials. They always made me want to light one up just to make them sad.

• Love 17

Walgreens is really tone-deaf about their ads - "thanks for giving [little girl] the strength to outrun her brother". OK, yes, it's a couple of small children who are having fun running around, but "outrun her brother (or cousin)" is the punchline to a lot of crude jokes about rural/Southern folks. Can't they come up with something that doesn't make you go "huh?!" if you hear it without seeing the context. "Out-throw"? "Strike out"? "Outswim"? Anything?

• Love 12
On 11/22/2017 at 0:35 PM, mmecorday said:

Ugh! That commercial with Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood chatting up the book that Brooks "wrote." I have never liked Garth Brooks, but this commercial is making me even less of a fan than I already am. And it's part one of a five-part series? We're talking about Garth Brooks here, not the history of Western Civilization, right? And Yearwood chirps, "I am going to give one to everyone I know for Christmas." So glad I am not your friend, Trish. I'd rather have a Mr. Microphone (which did NOT make a great gift).

You can only imagine how i feel about the Garth BrooksvStation ads i keep seeing!

7 hours ago, Rosiejuliemom said:

I felt the same way about the truth anti-smoking commercials. They always made me want to light one up just to make them sad.

OMG, the ones in which they claim Big Tobacco targets poor poor veterans and mentally ill people makes me angry!

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Rosiejuliemom said:

7 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

OMG, the ones in which they claim Big Tobacco targets poor poor veterans and mentally ill people makes me angry!

The only thing I will say about these ads right now is they are insulting, and based on faulty/fake research, and I have called them and written them.  But we will endure them in perpetuity.  The Big Tobacco settlement is a bottomless well for ads like this.  I hate them.

I don't smoke anymore, but I support those who do.  It is a legal product.  So is booze.  And if they make tobacco products illegal, what happens to the jobs here in Georgia, North Carolina and Kentucky?  Just fire them all?  And before anyone says, I DO have sympathy for those folks who have relatives with cancer. 

• Love 9
19 hours ago, magicdog said:

However, the message still would have been the same - a girl gave up her coat (which was needed for the coming winter season) and donated money to the kettle which may not go to the specific girl she wanted to help!!

If she was going to go that route, it would have made more sense for her to buy a replacement coat at the Salvation Army store before putting the remainder of the money in the kettle. Then she'd have a coat for winter, and the SA would still have all of the cash the girl got for the new coat. BTW, how'd she do that? It seems unlikely her parents both paid cash for the coat and gave her the receipt.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

The only thing I will say about these ads right now is they are insulting, and based on faulty/fake research, and I have called them and written them.  But we will endure them in perpetuity.  The Big Tobacco settlement is a bottomless well for ads like this.  I hate them.

I don't smoke anymore, but I support those who do.  It is a legal product.  So is booze.  And if they make tobacco products illegal, what happens to the jobs here in Georgia, North Carolina and Kentucky?  Just fire them all?  And before anyone says, I DO have sympathy for those folks who have relatives with cancer. 

Cosign. I've ranted about these smug, incompetent, condescending assholes before.

I'm also an ex-smoker who has nothing against current smokers. Radical thought of mine: tobacco is an excellent stress reducer if used in moderation but because it's so easy to get and so physically addictive it's a problem drug. If the jerks at Truth.org really wanted to spend their infinite wealth on something useful, they could research helping people use tobacco responsibly and effectively since it's out there, and like every other drug known to humanity it has positive and negative effects. But no -- they just churn out crap ads that help no one but themselves and their egos. I hate them, too.

• Love 12
On 11/21/2017 at 6:07 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I had to parallel park one day on my Road Trip in June.  As I was walking back to my car, I had to take a picture. I couldn't believe how perfectly I had parked. And I didn't have to do any back-and-forth crap to get into the space. I think that's the first time in 50 years of driving I've parked so beautifully. It'll never happen again. It looked like I was driving one of those self-parking cars.  I stunned myself.

And I thank my brother for teaching me how to park after failing the driving test the first time due to my poor parallel parking skills. Thanks, Joe!

I just had to say that in my immediate family I am now known for awesomely parallel parking a rental car on the street outside the grassy knoll museum in Dallas.  We have conversations like:  "remember the time I parked at the grassy knoll?"  "Sure, no one thought you could do it.  Best parking ever."  Perhaps we need to get out more often.

Ob commercials:  The one with the weight lifting "bro's" does not get better with time.  I don't understand why it is back in rotation.  And it's really not good that I don't even remember what they are advertising.

• Love 9

That would be the ultimate poetic justice for those people obsessed with having unnaturally white teeth! I will now amuse myself by visualizing them dealing with their teeth crumbling and falling out when I see those obnoxious ads.

• Love 10

The Ford Year End commercial where a girl brings her new boyfriend to meet her family, who are all outside where they can be dazzled by his perfect parallel parking thanks to a rear-view camera.  "They're going to love you!" the girl gushes.

Because he can parallel park.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, millennium said:

Because he can parallel park.

I mentioned in one of these threads that I was meeting the girlfriend's parents for the first time on Thanksgiving Day.  I didn't need to parallel park (although I am pretty good at it) but they seem to really like me anyway.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, millennium said:

The Ford Year End commercial where a girl brings her new boyfriend to meet her family, who are all outside where they can be dazzled by his perfect parallel parking thanks to a rear-view camera.  "They're going to love you!" the girl gushes.

Is there some subtle racism in that ad in that the family member parked next to the space refers to "my ride". I don't recall ever seeing a white dude in an ad using that phrase to refer to his car.

• Love 1
On 11/25/2017 at 7:24 AM, mojoween said:

I know this is not a new rant but fuck OFF Special K.  You know what women do?  Eat real fucking food that may not be good for us but I am not going to feel one bit bad about it.  I’m not going to get excited about eating fucking QUINOA and think I’m some sort of rebel badass.  I had a Philly steak yesterday.  And it was damn good.

It’s for Boost Mobile, whatever that is, and I want to set each person in this ad on fire individually and as a group.

I know it’s a different company but bring back Lily.  Come to think of it, I haven’t seen an AT&T ad in awhile.  Not that I care, I use Verizon, but it’s still kinda weird.

Oh speaking of phones, I like my iPhone very much, Samsung, and why does that guy keep upgrading his phone but keeping the one he no longer uses?  Do people do that?  I’ve never saved a phone, I either donate it, sell it or when I upgrade next I think Verizon will take mine back for some credit.

I agree- I absolutely HATE that Special I commercial!  Sick of the whole women empowerment thing.  If they want equality stop bashing men.  It works both ways. Hey, both men and women eat.  I want to slap that smug women's face.  

• Love 6
21 hours ago, CoderLady said:

Cosign. I've ranted about these smug, incompetent, condescending assholes before.

I'm also an ex-smoker who has nothing against current smokers. Radical thought of mine: tobacco is an excellent stress reducer if used in moderation but because it's so easy to get and so physically addictive it's a problem drug. If the jerks at Truth.org really wanted to spend their infinite wealth on something useful, they could research helping people use tobacco responsibly and effectively since it's out there, and like every other drug known to humanity it has positive and negative effects. But no -- they just churn out crap ads that help no one but themselves and their egos. I hate them, too.

That is a damn good idea!  I never would have thought of something like that!!

• Love 4

Sick of the whole women empowerment thing.  If they want equality stop bashing men

I do hate the commercial  (Jeez, women eat? Who knew??) but I don't equate empowering women with "bashing men". 

Calling women "special" is ridiculous. Half the human race is not "special", it's NORMAL. ORDINARY. No more special than MEN. 

• Love 11
27 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

I do hate the commercial  (Jeez, women eat? Who knew??) but I don't equate empowering women with "bashing men". 

Calling women "special" is ridiculous. Half the human race is not "special", it's NORMAL. ORDINARY. No more special than MEN. 

If OP meant that there are a lot of commercials that make men look like clueless idiots, then I can see it. But in every day life? No.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I mentioned in one of these threads that I was meeting the girlfriend's parents for the first time on Thanksgiving Day.  I didn't need to parallel park (although I am pretty good at it) but they seem to really like me anyway.

So it can be a secret ability that you can pull out at a later date and really impress them.

• Love 10
On 11/27/2017 at 4:26 PM, InnerScreaming said:

The hamsters in the Kia commercials.  I detest these commercials!!  Who is buying a car because it was driven by a creepy, anthropomorphic rodent??

We bought a Kia Soul a while back.  (We've been perfectly satisfied with it.)  During all that car buying rigamarole I asked the salesman "so, what's with the jive hamsters, anyway?"  He looked unhappy, and sighed, and said "I have no idea.  But it's the most successful ad campaign we've ever had." 

• Love 8

We bought a Kia Soul a while back.  (We've been perfectly satisfied with it.)  During all that car buying rigamarole I asked the salesman "so, what's with the jive hamsters, anyway?"  He looked unhappy, and sighed, and said "I have no idea.  But it's the most successful ad campaign we've ever had." 

When I bought my last car, I had a similar experience, but it was the local car dealer commercial. When I first moved here, they had a guy that called the cars "shivey", I hate that pronunciation, I think it's regional. Then they replaced him with the owner's newly adult daughter. "Dad'll do it!" I haven't seen their ads in a while, but this will probably jinx me, it is that time of the year. I despise her entitled self. And she's added a couple of kids of her own now and they stand together and pray on their ads at Christmas time. Hate 'em. And that would be the last dealership I would go to now to buy a car.

• Love 7

I saw one of those idiotic "tissue test" commercials tonight. It wasn't the one in which the two women are eating at a restaurant. This one had them out in the damn park or something and one of them is looking in a mirror or at her reflection in the water fountain or duck pond. All I heard was "tissue test" and I averted my eyes.

NO ONE DOES THE TISSUE TEST.

• Love 17

I've been awake about 30 minutes, the talking bible has been on Have Gun Will Travel twice. I think the closer it gets to Christmas, the more it's going to run. Sounds like a cheap imitation of Cecil DeMille doing God in The Ten Commandments. Now to complete the package, order the cross with the microscopic piece of gravel stolen from the Cave of The Nativity, in goldtone or kitchen grade stainless steel, your eyes will light up and you will feel so close to our lord, and you can get a guardian angel pin with it - the ugliest angel pin I've ever seen. Or the cross that if you hold it just right, you can see the prism light up and show the lord's prayer. 

I really have no problem if people want to wear a cross jewelry, I think there are some beautiful ones available, I just hate the commercials that prey on stupid people.

• Love 18

The Entemanns Little Bites commercials ENRAGE me! They're made with "real" ingredients (like real sugar and real bleached white flour, perhaps?) and don't make a mess in the car like pesky milk drunk straight from the bottle. Why feed your children fruit for breakfast when you can nourish them with cake containing  three blueberries?

GAH!

• Love 8
12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I LOVE the Kia Soul hamsters. I never ceased to be amused that the same commercials show up in this thread and the "favorite" thread. Mileage truly does vary.

There used to be an ad where GI Joe would jump into a toy Nissan and go pick up Barbie, leaving Ken behind. That had a similar issue, It was entertaining at first, but eventually the novelty wore off, and it'd be annoying to sit through an ad that didn't really say anything about why you'd want to buy anything from the company. With Kia, there's also the fact that not everyone has the same feeling about rodents; maybe they should have used kittens.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Then they replaced him with the owner's newly adult daughter. "Dad'll do it!" I haven't seen their ads in a while, but this will probably jinx me, it is that time of the year. I despise her entitled self.

Oh my, this reminds me of a regional car ad that used to run where the owners family would, one at a time, repeat "he just wants to get you a loan" which, when you hear it, comes off with a creepy "he just wants to get you alone" vibe. Every time I saw it I would think to myself, "uh, no".

• Love 11
8 hours ago, Jaded said:

This one and a shorter version keeps coming on MeTV while I'm watching my string of older shows during this time of morning.

That looks like pretty advanced tech. . .  for 1998.

Seriously, when was the last time you saw a device with red LEDs?

• Love 2
On 11/28/2017 at 2:22 PM, CoderLady said:

I used to smoke for many years, the best thing I ever did was to quit the fucking things.  You don't need to smoke to reduce stress, just like you don't need to drink.   But, neither tobacco nor alcohol should be illegal, we tried that and it didn't work too well.

But the Kia hamsters are just stupid.  What's the point of driving a car that large rodents drive?  I hated the one where they were like rappers or something.  Ignorant.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

they could research helping people use tobacco responsibly and effectively since it's out there, and like every other drug known to humanity it has positive and negative effects.

Yeah, I don't buy that tobacco has a responsible use.

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Hey, that wasn't my post you quoted, even though my name is there.  Doesn't tobacco ruin your teeth and gums?  Yuk.

37 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Yeah, I don't buy that tobacco has a responsible use.

I was the original poster on this.

I don't want to pull the discussion away from annoying ads here. My point is that the organization that managed to score billions (no exaggeration, look it up) of dollars from the tobacco companies in perpetuity can do more with it than squirt out an occasional cheap-ass, ineffective, misleading and insulting ad from time to time while buying expensive office space and paying themselves exorbitant salaries. They're not stopping people from smoking or their gravy train would stop, too. If they really want to do something useful with the little part of that money they actually spend on the problem, why not look for ways to minimize the damage from smoking since they're not really trying all that hard to make it go away? Get people who won't or can't stop to smoke less and only when they really need to?

It's a radical thought, I know, but smoking is like sex, magic or really good chocolate: not evil but if you do too much or do it wrong, you will fuck yourself up. If you're going to do it, learn how to handle it. And the organization getting the money could help if they wanted to.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, CoderLady said:

My point is that the organization that managed to score billions (no exaggeration, look it up) of dollars from the tobacco companies in perpetuity can do more with it than squirt out an occasional cheap-ass, ineffective, misleading and insulting ad from time to time while buying expensive office space and paying themselves exorbitant salaries.

Exactly!

• Love 4