Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

WHY does the red-headed lady stick her nose in the shoes after spraying the Febreze?  You sprayed that shit everywhere else, so you can trust it worked, and if it didn’t work in the sneakers, then you just inhaled a pile of stanky foot odor.

And this is most likely just me, because it’s irrationally annoying, but in the Safelite ad where the couple wants to drive the kid around until it (I say it because I didn’t look to see what kind of baby it is) falls asleep, I hate at the end when they sing the jingle, but all quiet-like so the baby doesn’t wake up.  It sounds jarring and I hate it.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, mojoween said:

And this is most likely just me, because it’s irrationally annoying, but in the Safelite ad where the couple wants to drive the kid around until it (I say it because I didn’t look to see what kind of baby it is) falls asleep, I hate at the end when they sing the jingle, but all quiet-like so the baby doesn’t wake up.  It sounds jarring and I hate it.

Oh, I can relate to that. My stepdaughter had to do that with her oldest when he was about 2. Sometimes a walk in the stroller was enough, but other times it required a car ride. He outgrew it. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, chessiegal said:

Oh, I can relate to that. My stepdaughter had to do that with her oldest when he was about 2. Sometimes a walk in the stroller was enough, but other times it required a car ride. He outgrew it. 

I used to set my son's baby carrier on top of the washing machine. The spin cycle would put him right out.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Does anybody else find the chapstick commercial bothersome?  The kid coats her lips with chapstick and proceeds to smear her mouth, nose and lips all over the car window in response to a “making cute faces” sort of contest.  Granted, this is within the bounds of kid behavior.  But even as a parent I didn’t find it “cute” to encourage that sort of messy behavior which would require yet another cleaning task in the already busy day.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 1
On 1/28/2023 at 5:20 PM, Stevie Nicks said:

I hate Dr Rick and his stupid commercials. Take your contempt of what "our parents" do and shove it. God forbid someone be polite in an elevator and ask me what floor I want.  And we have out address on our trash cans, thank you very much. More than once it's gotten blown down the street. Only way to get it back.

Agree about Dr Rick. After our trash can got stolen, we put our house number on our new one - and I periodically wash our can out due to spilled, used cat litter, various gross liquids from old food and the smell! Yes, it's a freaking trash can, but it doesn't need to smell like hot vomit and attract flying insects and the like. Take that, Dr Rick!!!! I can imagine how gross your trash can is because you're "too young and hip" to care.

• Like 10
  • Applause 6
1 hour ago, Katmai said:

Agree about Dr Rick. After our trash can got stolen, we put our house number on our new one - and I periodically wash our can out due to spilled, used cat litter, various gross liquids from old food and the smell! Yes, it's a freaking trash can, but it doesn't need to smell like hot vomit and attract flying insects and the like. Take that, Dr Rick!!!! I can imagine how gross your trash can is because you're "too young and hip" to care.

Agreed. And agree that we also have our house number on our trash and recycling cans. We live in a condo complex and we would like to get them back every week, please. Shut up, Dr. Rick.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

The trash can commercial is ridiculous because, unless my eyes are deceiving me (which is not outside the realm of possibility, as they suck), he has LOCKS on his bins.  Dr. Rick is going to ignore those and comment instead on having his info painted on them?  The locks would work a lot better with the "You can't be too safe/With trash?!" exchange.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

The locks would work a lot better with the "You can't be too safe/With trash?!" exchange.

About once a fortnight, somebody on Nextdoor is complaining about random strangers/neighbors walking by on trash day (when the bins are out at the curb) putting their dog waste baggies in the neighbor's wheelie bin. But if the sanitation workers can open the locks, so can the doggo owners.  Probably raccoons, too.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

About once a fortnight, somebody on Nextdoor is complaining about random strangers/neighbors walking by on trash day (when the bins are out at the curb) putting their dog waste baggies in the neighbor's wheelie bin. But if the sanitation workers can open the locks, so can the doggo owners.  Probably raccoons, too.

Homeowners complain about people putting trash in their trashcans?  That sounds more like something Dr Rick should address.  Shoot, when I go running on trash day and see something on the street I'll put it in the nearest can.  No one has complained about it to me yet.

And yes, Dr Rick, someone is looking at the messy hedges.

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Homeowners complain about people putting trash in their trashcans?

It's generally people putting their dog's poop in the neighbor's can rather than bringing it home to their own can.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Homeowners complain about people putting trash in their trashcans?  That sounds more like something Dr Rick should address.  Shoot, when I go running on trash day and see something on the street I'll put it in the nearest can.  No one has complained about it to me yet.

If you live somewhere hot and steamy, and some jerk puts dog doo in your trash early in the morning and it sits there all day, you end up with trash can with a revolting smell, which, if you live in an HOA area run by nut jobs, you must put in your hot and steamy garage. I have had this happen to me. Luckily, I was having the house power washed within a few days (because of the HOA) and he kindly sprayed my garbage can, too. Took awhile to get the smell out of the garage, because we couldn’t leave the door open (because of the HOA). And yes, the HOA is looking at the hedges. I no longer live in this neighborhood. I write my address on my garbage cans because they have blown away, been dragged down the street by the garbage truck, and, I am pretty sure were stolen by neighbor kids on one occasion.

Dr. Rick needs to go live in a neighborhood with an HOA.

• Like 17
1 hour ago, 2soon2tell said:

If you live somewhere hot and steamy, and some jerk puts dog doo in your trash early in the morning and it sits there all day, you end up with trash can with a revolting smell, which, if you live in an HOA area run by nut jobs, you must put in your hot and steamy garage.

Plus, if the can has been emptied but you haven't put it back in the garage (or on the porch, in my case), the little bag of dog poo ends up at the bottom of the can and you have to reach down and get it because your trash collectors just grab the bags rather than turning the can upside down to empty it.

Clearly I've turned into my parents as far as stupid Dr. Rick is concerned.  Those commercials started out amusing but now they're just mean.  And yes, you DO need a line monitor at book signings, although usually it's a store employee doing that.  I hate that one as well.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But if the sanitation workers can open the locks, so can the doggo owners.

I can't imagine any municipality using those bins that would allow him to put them out for pick-up with the locks on it; the sanitation workers drive the truck and operate its automated arm, they don't get out and handle the bins.  So he's added locks to keep anyone from accessing his trash while it's on his property.  Which is the much funnier thing to parody in the context of the commercial series, that as a first-time homeowner he's so jazzed about owning things he's gone overboard with securing his stuff.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Haleth said:

Trust me, you're being judged harshly.

Dr. Rick is beginning to seem not so funny to me.

• Like 4

Our sanitation workers pick up the trash cans to empty the contents. I use a whole can trash liner that gets cinched closed when it's taken to the curb. They take off the lid, either turn the can upside down to empty or grab the bag. I got stuck behind a trash truck last week, and the guy was picking out trash liners into the truck.

I don't mind the Dr. Rick ads. The actor who portrays him owns that role.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
24 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Our sanitation workers pick up the trash cans to empty the contents. I use a whole can trash liner that gets cinched closed when it's taken to the curb. They take off the lid, either turn the can upside down to empty or grab the bag. I got stuck behind a trash truck last week, and the guy was picking out trash liners into the truck.

Taking to Small Talk so I don't violate neighborhood etiquette...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • LOL 1

I have feelings of sadness over the commercial showing parents at their child's band/orchestra concert.  Believe me, I know how painful those concerts can be--I taught elementary music for many, many years and have attended too many to count.  I just feel awful thinking that children are seeing these commercials and might get the idea that their parents really do not want to listen to their beginning music "performance".  Parents need to show excitement and encouragement to their children.  The takeaway for children may be that their parents really don't want to attend, or that their playing is a waste of time. 

• Like 6

I know I'm not the target audience for a jewelry commercial before Valentine's Day, but the dramatics of that one couple where they got married and she got "very sick. He came every day to help me learn to walk again." OMG! SHUT UP!

WTAF does that have to do with a blood diamond ring for Valentine's Day?

• Like 14
  • LOL 3
9 hours ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

I know I'm not the target audience for a jewelry commercial before Valentine's Day, but the dramatics of that one couple where they got married and she got "very sick. He came every day to help me learn to walk again." OMG! SHUT UP!

He better haul his sorry a$$ down to see/help her every day!! They were newlyweds and had I been in that position and my new husband didn't bother to come and see/help me, as soon as I got out of the hospital he would be my ex-husband!!

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 16
  • LOL 1
9 hours ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

It's just a plain gold band. I've commented on this before - there is a reason most wedding vows say "in sickness and in health". If I got "very sick" and my husband was able to visit me and didn't, I'd be serving him divorce papers. Being there for a spouse is what marriage is about.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
22 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

He better haul his sorry a$$ down to see/help her every day!! They were newlyweds and had I been in that position and my new husband didn't bother to come and see/help me, as soon as I got out of the hospital he would be my ex-husband!!

Well, sure, but she can also be appreciative.  Why wouldn't she be?

27 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

It would be tragic if she got very sick because the hubs was putting arsenic in her pinot, which already had a toxic amount of arsenic in it because she drank the cheap boxed stuff.

Talk about buyer's remorse! 🤣

I looked this ad up on iSpot because if the woman was not an actor, I'm willing to give her some slack. The information is not clear, so I'm left with the feeling the ad is just too treacly OTT. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

Well, sure, but she can also be appreciative.  Why wouldn't she be?

Appreciative, sure, but she made it sound like he was doing some kind of extraordinary favor for her instead of something which any decent spouse should do.

• Like 15
On 1/30/2023 at 1:30 PM, OldStandard said:

Does anybody else find the chapstick commercial bothersome?  The kid coats her lips with chapstick and proceeds to smear her mouth, nose and lips all over the car window in response to a “making cute faces” sort of contest.  Granted, this is within the bounds of kid behavior.  But even as a parent I didn’t find it “cute” to encourage that sort of messy behavior which would require yet another cleaning task in the already busy day.

I would be extremely angry, as a parent, for some random person on the street to be making faces at my kid.

On 1/30/2023 at 7:41 PM, Bastet said:

The trash can commercial is ridiculous because, unless my eyes are deceiving me (which is not outside the realm of possibility, as they suck), he has LOCKS on his bins.  Dr. Rick is going to ignore those and comment instead on having his info painted on them?  The locks would work a lot better with the "You can't be too safe/With trash?!" exchange.

Has anybody called the phone number on the guy's cans to see what the number is?

• LOL 3
On 2/2/2023 at 12:49 AM, Girl in a Cardigan said:

That one usually has me diving for the remote. I HATE that commercial! Of course,  I hate most jewelry commercials.  

• Like 10
On 2/2/2023 at 3:03 PM, RedElf said:

I would be extremely angry, as a parent, for some random person on the street to be making faces at my kid.

Has anybody called the phone number on the guy's cans to see what the number is?

The chapstick commercial suggests that the kid is initiating the “making faces” games to see if any of the passersby will respond.  And smearing her face up and down the glass of the car window could be quite unsanitary, so to me, the fault is with the kid (and the driving parent) rather than some person on the street responding.  Do you blame truck drivers for honking in response to a kid’s invitation by gesturing “honk honk”?  I just don’t believe that every action initiated by a kid is harmless, and cute.  Sometimes the child is, in fact, the person who needs to reshape their actions.

• Like 11
  • Applause 3
3 minutes ago, OldStandard said:

Do you blame truck drivers for honking in response to a kid’s invitation by gesturing “honk honk”?

speaking of which, I dislike the commercial that has kids doing exactly that to every truck they pass. Don't distract him!

• Like 7
On 1/28/2023 at 5:20 PM, Stevie Nicks said:

I hate Dr Rick and his stupid commercials. Take your contempt of what "our parents" do and shove it. God forbid someone be polite in an elevator and ask me what floor I want.  And we have out address on our trash cans, thank you very much. More than once it's gotten blown down the street. Only way to get it back. And is that seriously Marie Osmond in the latest Nutrasystem commercial? She looks like she went to the same plastic surgeon as Kenny Rogers. 

I haven't been here for a while but when I kept seeing that commercial I knew I had to check in. 🙂

It's time to end this ad campaign. You can tell it's written by people talking about things they know nothing about. In some of them I think the writers are actually lashing out at their own upbringing.

• Applause 6
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

speaking of which, I dislike the commercial that has kids doing exactly that to every truck they pass. Don't distract him!

But I do love the Subaru one with the Golden puppy gesturing for the Bulldog truck driver to honk.

• Like 13
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
On 2/2/2023 at 2:26 PM, proserpina65 said:

Appreciative, sure, but she made it sound like he was doing some kind of extraordinary favor for her instead of something which any decent spouse should do.

Exactly!  This spot is so uncomfortable to me because it reminds me of how a family member told me my chronic illness/hospital stays would make me a less attractive partner.  The misogyny is coming from inside the house.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 10
1 hour ago, littlebennysmom said:

Exactly!  This spot is so uncomfortable to me because it reminds me of how a family member told me my chronic illness/hospital stays would make me a less attractive partner.  The misogyny is coming from inside the house.

Also 🤯 and blue Sad emoji.

• Like 7
  • Hugs 1
On 2/2/2023 at 3:03 PM, RedElf said:

I assumed the phone number on his trash cans were answered by someone at Progressive Insurance.

On 2/4/2023 at 7:12 AM, Browncoat said:

But I do love the Subaru one with the Golden puppy gesturing for the Bulldog truck driver to honk.

Oh, I hate those Suburu "dog world" commercials so much! It doesn't help that they ran out of ideas long ago.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
On 2/1/2023 at 11:49 PM, Girl in a Cardigan said:

Hopefully she wasn't at Camp Lejune.

On 2/5/2023 at 9:13 AM, crazycatlady58 said:

My step father was a truck driver and he loved when the kids did that. 

We spent plenty of school trips doing that, between rounds of "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"

• LOL 13
On 2/1/2023 at 9:49 PM, Girl in a Cardigan said:

It's the voice breaking, just about to sob that makes me stabby.  You got married. You got a ring.  You got sick.  Was he your physical therapist?  How did he help you learn to walk? 

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
13 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

It's the voice breaking, just about to sob that makes me stabby. 

Yes, and the other Jareds ad with the Asian woman talking about some guy who 'chose her as his daughter' to walk her fatherless ass down the aisle. Both of these woman are terrible actors and it doesn't help that they fail to produce any actual tears. 

I know the M&M (Ma&Ya) ads have been discussed, but the latest one is SOOOO stupid, with the clam-filled candy. I just don't find this quirky or transgressive or whatever the hell it's supposed to be. It's not even faintly amusing, imo, just try-hard. I hope this back fires on Mars Co.

• Like 14
14 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Yes, and the other Jareds ad with the Asian woman talking about some guy who 'chose her as his daughter' to walk her fatherless ass down the aisle. Both of these woman are terrible actors and it doesn't help that they fail to produce any actual tears. 

The "first time someone chose me as their daughter" line is so cringe.  How many of us have been "chosen" as someone's daughter?  If so, has it happened multiple times?  If someone is adopted or in a blended family, then you've been chosen.  Most people are not getting fathers beyond their bio dad. There are folks we may see as parental figures, but something in the way this is phrased makes it sound like she thinks everyone is just getting picked up by spare dads along the way and she had to wait 30 years.  

• Like 11
  • LOL 5
4 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

The "first time someone chose me as their daughter" line is so cringe.  How many of us have been "chosen" as someone's daughter?  If so, has it happened multiple times?  If someone is adopted or in a blended family, then you've been chosen.  Most people are not getting fathers beyond their bio dad. There are folks we may see as parental figures, but something in the way this is phrased makes it sound like she thinks everyone is just getting picked up by spare dads along the way and she had to wait 30 years.  

And she's a grown-ass woman. IMHO, no one needs the archaic ritual of one man handing you off to another one.

• Like 2
  • Applause 5
20 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I know the M&M (Ma&Ya) ads have been discussed, but the latest one is SOOOO stupid, with the clam-filled candy. I just don't find this quirky or transgressive or whatever the hell it's supposed to be. It's not even faintly amusing, IMO, just try-hard. I hope this backfires on Mars Co.

I don't recall reading about any of the new M&M's commercials specifically, but I've seen the ones where what's-her-name claims she's having them renamed and announces they will not be clam-filled. Obviously, they aren't doing any of them and they're not even remotely funny (I guess that's what happens when you don't hire a real comedian), so it's clear they're going to announce the return of the anthropomorphic candy during the Superb Owl this year, which I hate. 

(BTW, I recently saw a new commercial featuring a blue M&M, so good work there!)

Car Shield hasn’t cropped up on here for a while.  I keep seeing a version of their ad on the gym TV (so muted) and finally looked it up online.  It starts with a quote along the lines of “if you’re afraid to offend then you can’t be honest” then later states that the future of our country rests with its people and describes its potentially scammy product as “protecting your freedom.”

I guess they’re trying to align their product with “patriotism” or something. Whatever.

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
14 minutes ago, mbluecpa said:

I guess they’re trying to align their product with “patriotism” or something. Whatever.

Huh, I haven't seen that one. The one I see that seems really weird that way is some radio ad for "food that lasts 25 years" 'cause (he essentially says) we all know this country is going to hell in a hand basket of course. 

• Mind Blown 1
42 minutes ago, mbluecpa said:

Carshield started its series of those political dog whistling commercials last year, and they only air them in certain parts of the country. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 6
On 1/30/2023 at 3:41 PM, mojoween said:

WHY does the red-headed lady stick her nose in the shoes after spraying the Febreze?  You sprayed that shit everywhere else, so you can trust it worked, and if it didn’t work in the sneakers, then you just inhaled a pile of stanky foot odor.

Do you mean the one who says that even the shoes smell "fraaash"?

What's the deal with the m&ms? I must have missed any "drama"?

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I must have missed any "drama"

Just the facts (as no politics allowed). A certain commentator on Fox News (initials TC) has been saying that M&Ms have succumbed to a certain "side" in politics because Mars company updated the lady-M&M's shoe choices to be less sexy and more practical. So I presume that Mars has decided to play on it, probably with some big reveal in an ad at the Super Bowl.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5