Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

What's the deal with the m&ms? I must have missed any "drama"?

They're building up for their big game day ad. The latest one I saw has Maya Rudolph saying she's going to put clams in the center of "her" Ma Ya candies - NOT!!

• Like 4

I can’t stand the hyper-sexualized young girl in the prescription medication.  Do they really think that putting her in a pair of shiny hot pants, and strutting her stuff like and adult is appropriate ?  

While I’ve never been a fan of the idiot Jamie on the Progressive ads, I despise the new guy “TV dad”. He’s an obnoxious jerk, and I just can’t figure what he has to do with insurance.

‘The M&M ads are beyond stupid and if they’re doing them to prep us for Super Bowl commercials, this is an epic fail. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
14 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

They're building up for their big game day ad.

Bingo, and accompanied by traditional free news coverage of the change in advertising.  Appreciate the explanations here as I saw news headlines describing the prior ads as “controversial” and “polarizing.” 🙄, but I guess props to their ad team for generating the publicity.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Just the facts (as no politics allowed). A certain commentator on Fox News (initials TC) has been saying that M&Ms have succumbed to a certain "side" in politics because Mars company updated the lady-M&M's shoe choices to be less sexy and more practical. So I presume that Mars has decided to play on it, probably with some big reveal in an ad at the Super Bowl.

Oh, yes—that asshole. Gotcha (and he needs to calm down; it’s not like he ever had a chance in hell with his m&m dream girl).

• LOL 19
28 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

I can’t stand the hyper-sexualized young girl in the prescription medication.  Do they really think that putting her in a pair of shiny hot pants, and strutting her stuff like and adult is appropriate ?  

She’s wearing a dance outfit; I assume the “strut” has to do with dance? Either way, I don’t see it as sexualizing her, and the outfit shows legs and shoulders, not T&A.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 6
15 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

She’s wearing a dance outfit; I assume the “strut” has to do with dance? Either way, I don’t see it as sexualizing her, and the outfit shows legs and shoulders, not T&A.

To me it's her heavily made up face. It reminds of that child beauty pageant crap.

• Like 11

Yeah, I think they tend to do that for dramatic purposes (same with cheer competitions). But it’s not like it’s that much more visible from the audience anyway, and then everyone looks like a weird crazy-ass clown face after they get off of the stage. Seems pointless. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

Just the facts (as no politics allowed). A certain commentator on Fox News (initials TC) has been saying that M&Ms have succumbed to a certain "side" in politics because Mars company updated the lady-M&M's shoe choices to be less sexy and more practical. So I presume that Mars has decided to play on it, probably with some big reveal in an ad at the Super Bowl.

He (or someone else on said network) had a fit because M&Ms made a bag of just “girl” m&ms (green, purple, brown) for Valentine’s Day to support women (or something). So, there are a couple of chocolate candy controversies that at play in the Maya Rudolph fake rebrand. 

Which brings me to my other annoyance - previewing or promoing your Superb Owl ads prior to said Owl. Your 30 second spot should not need homework or additional ads to support it. I’m already tired of the Gronk ads and others and the stupid “real” ad hasn’t even aired yet!

• Like 9
4 hours ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

Buy a little plastic bag of miracle water and then you'll receive checks for money in the mail, from... angels? Or something. 

How in the hell is this legal? 

Also, what are you supposed to do with it? There are no instructions. Maybe apply directly to the forehead? 

This guy's commercials seem like satire.  Their actors say stuff like, "I needed money and after purchasing the Miracle Spring Water, I received a check for $100,000 in the mail!"  Really?!  REALLY?!  And to connect it to "belief" and "faith" makes it especially repugnant.

The riggery of this nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Applause 5
12 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

What's the deal with the M&M's? I must have missed any "drama"?

M&M's attempts at "going woke" with their mascots have backfired, so now they're attempting damage control. I'm cynically assuming this is part of a "clever" plan for the annual revealing of new commercials during the Superb Owl. I don't know why they didn't go with the voice actors wearing M&M shirts.

12 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I can’t stand the hyper-sexualized young girl in the prescription medication.  Do they really think that putting her in a pair of shiny hot pants, and strutting her stuff like and adult is appropriate?  

She's sppsd to be made up for a cheerleading or child jazzercise competition, but it still bugs me.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
19 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Having been (unknowingly) in a long relationship with a pedophile who was attracted to just-pubescent girls, I guarantee that similar freaks are drooling over these ads. They'd still be turned on if she were in jeans and a teeshirt, but the girl's skimpy stage outfit, makeup, and suggestion of sexuality in her walk would be irresistible to a pedo. (Mine hoarded torn-out pages of Sears catalog 'training' bras pics-yes, long ago but still nauseating).

So theoretically it's the kid's right to wear whatever, but I tell you as one who knows, that the parents should have objected.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 6
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

Having been (unknowingly) in a long relationship with a pedophile who was attracted to just-pubescent girls, I guarantee that similar freaks are drooling over these ads. They'd still be turned on if she were in jeans and a teeshirt, but the girl's skimpy stage outfit, makeup, and suggestion of sexuality in her walk would be irresistible to a pedo. (Mine hoarded torn-out pages of Sears catalog 'training' bras pics-yes, long ago but still nauseating).

So theoretically it's the kid's right to wear whatever, but I tell you as one who knows, that the parents should have objected.

That is indeed horrifying, of course, but I personally still don’t find the kids to be inappropriately dressed for the situation regardless of that particular scenario (but I’m also not about to embark on a discussion about pedophilia in this forum).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

To me it's her heavily made up face. It reminds of that child beauty pageant crap.

Taking my response to small talk because this flipped a switch that had been off for a long time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are always going to be dance, cheer leading, and gymnastic competitions with young girls in skimpy or tight clothing.  Are you suggesting they shouldn't be used in advertising because of a small (hopefully) number of viewers that sexualize the children?

• Like 3
On 2/8/2023 at 6:20 PM, TattleTeeny said:

That one doesn't bother me, either.  I didn't interpret it as sexualizing her.  I thought I was missing something.

On 2/8/2023 at 6:24 PM, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

Buy a little plastic bag of miracle water and then you'll receive checks for money in the mail, from... angels? Or something. 

How in the hell is this legal? 

Also, what are you supposed to do with it? There are no instructions. Maybe apply directly to the forehead? 

Well, since they can't outright sell indulgences, or as someone put it on WKRP, "heaven insurance", anymore . . . 

On 2/8/2023 at 7:11 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Yeah, I think they tend to do that for dramatic purposes (same with cheer competitions). But it’s not like it’s that much more visible from the audience anyway,

It is because it's more visible to the audience.  Just like in figure skating.  Now, how much of a difference it makes in visibility probably depends on how far one is from the stage or ice.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Why do they think a chubby guy wearing a too tight dick suit is appropriate to sell prescription medication?  I’m not a fan of those suits on most men, but this guy needs a suit at least 3 sizes bigger

Ok, I have to ask what is a dick suit?

• LOL 7

Maybe they're trying to be inclusive and promote body positivity? The swimsuit/underwear brand of an entertainer I follow just branched out into using a chubby model for some of their web ads for bikini bottoms. (I applaud the intent, but seeing them just verified that skimpy swimwear would look horrifying on my body type, so I question their effectiveness at selling product. I'll never in a million years be buying any for myself.)

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
On 2/2/2023 at 2:26 PM, proserpina65 said:

Appreciative, sure, but she made it sound like he was doing some kind of extraordinary favor for her instead of something which any decent spouse should do.

I believe in the commercial, they stated they were only dating, not even engaged, so a different level of commitment. 

I hate the T-Mobile commercial with the "Scrubs" actors and John Travolta singing a bastardized version of "Summer Nights" from "Grease." Maybe it's just me, but it seems disrespectful to Olivia Newton-John.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

I believe in the commercial, they stated they were only dating, not even engaged, so a different level of commitment. 

No - in the commercial the woman said they had just gotten married, and they show a plain wedding band on her left ring finger. He'd better well show up every day or else he'd be getting served divorce papers from me.

• Like 11
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

The Cologuard commercial with the people cheerily singing that bastardized version of "My Way" stinks to high heaven. Who came up with this shit?

It's sort of fitting that the ad WOULD be shitty, don't you think?

• LOL 15
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

The Cologuard commercial with the people cheerily singing that bastardized version of "My Way" stinks to high heaven. Who came up with this shit?

The shit-talking ad agency for a company that analyzes shit?

All of which reminds me of the Cheech and Chong routine... "It’s  Dave. I've got the shit." "Dave's not here."

• LOL 6

Regarding the Jared commercial with the sick woman: It's a year or two old, and I swear at one point I saw a slightly longer version that filled in some of the details about her illness. I can't even remember what she said, but it seemed to bridge the "I got sick" and the shrieking "He came every day!" lines. 

I just saw the prescription commercial with the dad in the speedo. I had to rewind to see what I was watching...and why! lol

• LOL 3
19 hours ago, tanyak said:

Regarding the Jared commercial with the sick woman: It's a year or two old, and I swear at one point I saw a slightly longer version that filled in some of the details about her illness. I can't even remember what she said, but it seemed to bridge the "I got sick" and the shrieking "He came every day!" lines.

If the story of her illness is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, I feel sorry for her, but Jared making money on her misfortune doesn't make me like the company.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

If the story of her illness is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, I feel sorry for her, but Jared making money on her misfortune doesn't make me like the company.

I assumed the couple were actors but can't confirm it. iSpot doesn't list any actors names for the ad. I also can't find a longer version of the ad. Either way it's a cringeworthy ad.

• Like 6
On 2/12/2023 at 9:18 PM, CoderLady said:

AKA "budgie smugglers."

Taking to Small Talk a too tight budgie smuggler tale for the ages.

On 2/13/2023 at 8:44 AM, mmecorday said:

Cologuard is all about the shit.  And once you've taken that sample, it stinks.  I would find it funny if we found the commercial rosy.  With that said, it is a shitty commercial in multiple ways. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4

I have been watching a lot of the Decades channel (Newhart) and there is a commercial that is played at least twice every episode and I hate it. I hate it so much. It's for an angel rearview mirror. It starts with the voice over guy saying how race car drivers drive fast but have no sideview mirrors and how come they don't crash. And then the commercial is for a rearview commercial not a side mirror and they never mention race cars again. 

It's driving me batty y'all. Absolutely batty. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
7 minutes ago, hiisa said:

I have been watching a lot of the Decades channel (Newhart) and there is a commercial that is played at least twice every episode and I hate it. I hate it so much. It's for an angel rearview mirror. It starts with the voice over guy saying how race car drivers drive fast but have no sideview mirrors and how come they don't crash. And then the commercial is for a rearview commercial not a side mirror and they never mention race cars again. 

It's driving me batty y'all. Absolutely batty. 

I've seen the commercial more than once. With conventional rearview and sideview mirrors, if a car comes up beside you there is a blind spot where you can't see the overtaking car to the driver's left. The rearview mirror they are selling eliminates the blind spot so you can always see an overtaking car and know not to move to the left because if you did, you'd hit the overtaking car.

My car has a sensor that warns me of an overtaking car - shows up in the sideview mirror as a blinking orange cars warning me not to change lanes to the left. Very helpful.

• Useful 5
45 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

because once they're gone, they're gone. 

Isn't that the truth! Order now, because manufacture has stopped because of supply chain problems, blah, blah, blah. And then there are the ads that say "No more than 5 per customer!!" Yeah, right.

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
10 hours ago, hiisa said:

It starts with the voice over guy saying how race car drivers drive fast but have no sideview mirrors and how come they don't crash.

Obviously he has never been to the Indy 500.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
On 2/12/2023 at 5:12 PM, KLovestoShop said:

Why do they think a chubby guy wearing a too tight dick suit is appropriate to sell prescription medication?  I’m not a fan of those suits on most men, but this guy needs a suit at least 3 sizes bigger

I finally saw the commercial and I like it. It's nice to see a guy without a visible six-pack and not being mocked. I don't think it's too small, IMHO.

swimbrief-dad.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I finally saw the commercial and I like it. It's nice to see a guy without a visible six-pack and not being mocked. I don't think it's too small, IMHO.

swimbrief-dad.jpg

I get what you're saying and yes, it does appear to be an appropriately sized suit, but imo, no one except Olympic swimmers, divers and water polo players should ever wear Speedos, no matter what kind of shape they're in.  Even David Duchovny in his prime couldn't pull it off.

It's kind of amusing when the daughter walks in, though.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

Regarding

Why is it acceptable for this commercial to use an ethnic stereotype for humor?    I don't have a problem with it per se (other than Cecily Strong's fake enthusiasm comes off as very annoying) but it strikes me that this spot would have been "kaput" if it used an actor who isn't of a certain ethnicity to play up that ethnicity for laughs. 

7 hours ago, Gharlane said:

swimbrief-dad.jpg

I think dad bod guy looks kinda hot in those Speedos!

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
On 2/8/2023 at 10:47 PM, littlebennysmom said:

Their actors say stuff like, "I needed money and after purchasing the Miracle Spring Water, I received a check for $100,000 in the mail!"  Really?!  REALLY?!

I am reminded of the classic short story, "The Monkey's Paw" by W.W. Jacobs.   A woman uses a magical charm (a dried-up monkey's paw) to wish for a thousand dollars or something like that.  The next day her son is mangled in the factory where he works and the company sends the body home with a compensation check for $1000.   Lucky for her she still has two more wishes left ... (things get even worse, lol)

• Like 8
  • Mind Blown 1