Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, cinsays said:

seniors are watching at 2:30am?  i doubt they watch this crappy stuff

36 minutes ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

Don't judge me. 

Nothing OTA on at 2:30am for me, but at 3am there's reruns of the Match Game Hollywood Squares Hour on BUZZR.

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
17 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Yes, we are. We frequently have trouble sleeping at night, which is why we're so big on naps. But we're not stupid enough to fall for it.

Although, I will say my late brother bought a pair of those hockey-puck-like emergency lights and gave me one. It really is effective, at least as a flashlight - that's all I've ever used it for.  But it was sweet of him to be concerned about me on my Road Trips that I used to take solo.

well, some of us old folks aren't!  i can't sleep, but i don't watch this kind of stuff and don't know anyone who does.

• Like 3

I bought a largely useless tablet for my mother off one of those infomercials on QVC, so I swore never again on ordering call-in TV buying. I have been mostly happy with my TEMU purchases though; two out of three bathroom mat products are great (the toilet lid cover component is chintzy and ill-fitting, but I regard those as unneeded anyway) and the carpet pet hair roller is downright magical.

• Useful 3
2 hours ago, cinsays said:

well, some of us old folks aren't!  i can't sleep, but i don't watch this kind of stuff and don't know anyone who does.

You don't know anyone who watches one of the nostalgia tv channels?  These aren't infomercials, mostly they're commercials running during late night re-runs of things like Andy Griffith.  At least judging by the channel my mother watches.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

You don't know anyone who watches one of the nostalgia tv channels?  These aren't infomercials, mostly they're commercials running during late night re-runs of things like Andy Griffith.  At least judging by the channel my mother watches.

I don't stay up late but I watch Cozi TV and METV, both run a lot of shows from the sixties and seventies and yes, the commercials are gawdawful.

• Like 11
  • Applause 2
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't stay up late but I watch Cozi TV and METV, both run a lot of shows from the sixties and seventies and yes, the commercials are gawdawful.

The worst commercials are the ones with the dogs/cats in abysmal living conditions. They are always very long and just horrible. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 5
7 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

The worst commercials are the ones with the dogs/cats in abysmal living conditions. They are always very long and just horrible. 

I timed the ASPCA commercials once - 2 minutes. Most ads are 15 or 30 seconds.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 2
32 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Another place the donation money goes besides helping the animals...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
18 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Another place the donation money goes besides helping the animals...

I'm sure the benefit far outweighs the cost. It's not like they're buying time that is expensive and most real charities probably get a discount over what some company like bulbhead would pay.

I've tried getting my cats to watch it so they can see how lucky they are but they won't.

• Sad 1
  • LOL 15
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

nostalgic channels, yes, informercials, no

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I bought a largely useless tablet for my mother off one of those infomercials on QVC, so I swore never again on ordering call-in TV buying. I have been mostly happy with my TEMU purchases though; two out of three bathroom mat products are great (the toilet lid cover component is chintzy and ill-fitting, but I regard those as unneeded anyway) and the carpet pet hair roller is downright magical.

I bought 3 watches from TEMU for a total of $13.00. I'm happy with what I got.

2 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

And I believe ASPCA is not "no kill"

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I can't even watch one second of those things. Instant channel change. I have always had rescue animals and I volunteered at the Humane Society in high school. I don't need to see animals living in misery to get the point.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I can't even watch one second of those things. Instant channel change. I have always had rescue animals and I volunteered at the Humane Society in high school. I don't need to see animals living in misery to get the point.

I don't either. I had a friend on social media who would post the most horrific pictures when asking folks to support the shelters. I told her I didn't need to see abuse up close to know it was worthwhile to support shelters. Had to take her off my list on Facebook because she wouldn't stop posting those pics.

The commercials are awful and long. Like the thyroid eye commercials, just ugh.

• Like 11
6 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

I've tried getting my cats to watch it so they can see how lucky they are but they won't.

Stella won't watch 'em, either. But I do believe she knows how lucky she is. I know how lucky *I* am to share my life with her.

• Hugs 3
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

A couple of times I tuned to a station that was listed as showing a particular show, but when the animal PSA/commercial went on so long, I thought it was a program, so I changed the channel while I rechecked the schedule.

• Like 3

I was shocked shocked a couple days ago when a pillow commercial came on during The View.  How did that happen?

I watch very little network tv anymore.  It seems big corp manufacturers (except pharma) stay away from cable so we are forced to watch commercials for charities, drugs, and pee proof panties.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
7 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I was shocked shocked a couple days ago when a pillow commercial came on during The View.  How did that happen?

I watch very little network tv anymore.  It seems big corp manufacturers (except pharma) stay away from cable so we are forced to watch commercials for charities, drugs, and pee proof panties.

yeah, that was disgusting.  how would abc allow this person airtime, especially for this kind of show

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Most likely a whole lot of advertising moolah-moolah.
💰$🤑💲💵
Still, I wish they'd spent a little of it to dub over THAT VOICE with, IDK, maybe an AI replication of Keanu Reeves speaking.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 5
20 hours ago, cinsays said:

nostalgic channels, yes, informercials, no

As I said, these aren't infomercials.  They're regular commercials running on various channels and especially on those nostalgia channels.  I guess because they think old people are watching those channels and old people have more money or are extra gullible or something.

• Like 6
On 3/7/2023 at 9:45 AM, peacheslatour said:

I don't think the nostalgia channels can afford "real" ads, like for Tide or Stouffer's and such. Most of their programming has been off the air for a long time, years or even decades, so there's not much money to lure advertisers to put commercials on during breaks for their shows.

• Like 4

Chime: "I hate banking fees, especially overdraft fees..."

Suppose you stayed within your budget and only spent what you have?  You could avoid those fees.

I just read that only a small percentage of young people have any kind of "financial literacy."  (I forget the age range, but it was young adults.)  No wonder, if they think overdrafts are a good money management tool. And companies like Chime only encourage that behavior.

19 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I don't think the nostalgia channels can afford "real" ads, like for Tide or Stouffer's and such. Most of their programming has been off the air for a long time, years or even decades, so there's not much money to lure advertisers to put commercials on during breaks for their shows.

Channels don't pay advertisers; advertisers pay the channels. That's what ratings are for - to set their advertising rates based on number of viewers.

• Like 10
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Channels don't pay advertisers; advertisers pay the channels. That's what ratings are for - to set their advertising rates based on number of viewers.

Absolutely. I know at least some of the retro channels edit the old shows so they can show more commercials. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I hate all the Chime.  Their slogan should be "Banking for people don't know about, care about or want to be adult enough to manage their finances". Or more succinctly, Baking for Slackers.  One of them has some dope in blue jeans are too long so he has them rolled up halfway to his knees like Opie Taylor.  He says he didn't get into credit cards because it's all so confusing and he thinks it's sketch, what with interest and all.  I thought he was talking about accepting credit cards, which might seem confusing to a small business owner.  But no, he's talking about a credit card for his personal use.   Which, seriously?  No one in this losers life has explained the principal of a basic credit card?   

• Like 8

This ad for Chase Bank. The ad starts out with people at a block party / market type thing. People using all the cool things Chase has. Then this idiot gets this text from Chase. He's all relieved because he's got the overdraft protection. And he smiles with relief and goes on about enjoying the festivities. Ummm.. Wtf? You're still fucking overdrawn by $45.00, and considering that it's your rent payment, which is normally on the first of the month, which is also payday, you're broke af for the next two weeks. But yeah, go off and be Mr Happy.. 

received_755197092893916.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

This one?

Yeah, that's the one. I received severe corneal scratching from watching this one. There's a lot annoying about it, but the biggest thing is if they're concerned with changing "bad shit" to "good shit", they need to begin with that swill they claim is beer.

Edited by Gharlane
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2

The way that pepperoni curls up, it makes me think of those people who are freaked out by regularly-spaced holes.

That'd be me. And yes, those freak me out.

Wait, what? That's a thing? The things you learn hanging out here. 😉

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

I’m spending a lot of time watching TV while recovering from a car accident so I have a list. Top 3:

The Lume lady and her bifold’s and butt crack. Please take your giant sticky armpit and GTFO my tv!

The No7 women with the eyes. I’m waiting for the clerk’s to pop out of her head. 

The nasty looking, stocking cap and overall wearing DoorDash guy making Italian beef sandwiches makes me want to hurk up my lunch.

And please could we have one commercial break that doesn’t involve cancer or some disgusting disease?

• Like 10
  • Hugs 4
  • Applause 6
2 hours ago, Frisky said:

The Lume lady and her bifold’s and butt crack. Please take your giant sticky armpit and GTFO my tv!

I've recently seen some newish commercials and instead of listening to widespread opinions that the sweaty CEO leaning far into camera is...off-putting, they are doubling down by having her move in CLOSER and demonstrate how and where to put her body Renuzit.

What's a stronger word for off-putting?  Because that's where we are with this nonsense.

• Like 9
  • LOL 5
3 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

I've recently seen some newish commercials and instead of listening to widespread opinions that the sweaty CEO leaning far into camera is...off-putting, they are doubling down by having her move in CLOSER and demonstrate how and where to put her body Renuzit.

What's a stronger word for off-putting?  Because that's where we are with this nonsense.

Revolting?

• Like 6
  • Fire 4
  • LOL 2
4 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

How about just: Ewww

• Like 7
14 hours ago, Frisky said:

The nasty looking, stocking cap and overall wearing DoorDash guy making Italian beef sandwiches makes me want to hurk up my lunch.

Yes! He is in two of those commercials, is he a famous chef? His voice irritates. Also the one where they are in the market and that woman comes up and says they want fava beans or something, it has no flow, I have no idea why a stranger would tell two people someone wants beans, I do not get it.

• Like 4

That Chipotle commercial is irritating, where the food is sizzling on the griddle, and the cook says that's how you know it's fresh, from the sizzle. Um, no. If you put garbage on a hot griddle, it will sizzle. It just means it's cooking, it has nothing to do with the quality of the food. 

• Like 16
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Frisky said:

The No7 women with the eyes. I’m waiting for the clerk’s to pop out of her head. 

I'm waiting for her to peel her face off and reveal she's a reptile.

2 hours ago, DXD526 said:

That Chipotle commercial is irritating, where the food is sizzling on the griddle, and the cook says that's how you know it's fresh, from the sizzle.

I'd love to get some Chipotle that's hot off the griddle.  Instead its been sitting in a container and is lukewarm, at best.  Nothing at Chipotle is ever served hot.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
On 3/11/2023 at 7:20 PM, InDueTime said:

I wouldn't say I have trypophobia, but there are seed pods in one of my mother's Christmas decorations which are going straight in the trash when she dies.

Not sure if that's why I don't find curled up pepperoni appetizing, though.  It's probably just that I'm used to flat pepperoni on my pizza.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 3/12/2023 at 6:47 PM, littlebennysmom said:

Tasteless? Tacky? Gauche? Tawdry? Trashy? Coarse? Sleazy? Common?

• Like 2
  • Applause 6
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1