Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, millennium said:

I am reminded of the classic short story, "The Monkey's Paw" by W.W. Jacobs.   A woman uses a magical charm (a dried-up monkey's paw) to wish for a thousand dollars or something like that.  The next day her son is mangled in the factory where he works and the company sends the body home with a compensation check for $1000.   Lucky for her she still has two more wishes left ... (things get even worse, lol)

Yeah, they do. Much like Pet Sematary.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, millennium said:

Regarding

Why is it acceptable for this commercial to use an ethnic stereotype for humor?    I don't have a problem with it per se (other than Cecily Strong's fake enthusiasm comes off as very annoying) but it strikes me that this spot would have been "kaput" if it used an actor who isn't of a certain ethnicity to play up that ethnicity for laughs. 

It's not an ethnic stereotype. He's supposed to be Einstein. Can a real person be a stereotype? Seems to me, Einstein was a prototype.

• Like 15
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It's not an ethnic stereotype. He's supposed to be Einstein. Can a real person be a stereotype? Seems to me, Einstein was a prototype.

I would suggest that it's a caricature of Einstein and that there was zero intent to create an authentic portrayal.   Creating caricatures of people -- especially ethnic caricatures played by actors who are not of that ethnicity -- by broadly exaggerating their mannerisms, accents, etc., doesn't seem to be considered acceptable anymore.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, millennium said:

I would suggest that it's a caricature of Einstein and that there was zero intent to create an authentic portrayal.   Creating caricatures of people -- especially ethnic caricatures played by actors who are not of that ethnicity -- by broadly exaggerating their mannerisms, accents, etc., doesn't seem to be considered acceptable anymore.

It's a caricature of a specific person, not an ethnic stereotype and perfectly fine in my opinion.  Not funny but not verboten either.

• Like 10
  • Applause 3
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It's a caricature of a specific person, not an ethnic stereotype and perfectly fine in my opinion.  Not funny but not verboten either.

If Paul Giamatti were to do a caricature of, say, Confucius, would that be okay?  The point I'm trying to make is that some ethnicities seem to be off limits, while others are considered fair game.   I think it's a double standard.

FWIW, I'm fine with actors stepping outside their own ethnic backgrounds, cultures, orientation, whatever.   It's called acting and it has been a tradition since Mt. Olympus was a thing.  The problem as I see it is that this world we live in now keeps inventing new rules ("cultural appropriation," etc), but fails to apply them evenly.

Edited by millennium
  • Like 4
  • Useful 2
48 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

She looks Asian-American to me, not that it makes any difference. Lots of people take all kinds of self-defense classes.

She looks Asian-American to me too.  And you're right, lots of people take all kinds of self-defense classes.   Which is exactly why it stuck out to me that of all those people they chose an Asian-looking woman.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Who the hell drinks right from a bottle that size, especially outside of one’s home?!

My exact reaction.  Yeah, yeah, attacking the clown is bad.  But I'm too hung up on her walking around sipping from that full-size bottle to focus on it.

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

Why we're still seeing Medicare Advantage ads: According to the AARP Bulletin, open enrollment for regular Medicare is the one we're familiar with - October 15 to December 7; Medicare Advantage's open enrollment is January 1 to March 31.  This is news to me, but it certainly explains why we have commercials now.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Who the hell drinks right from a bottle that size, especially outside of one’s home?!

I just remembered the guy in real life who was skateboarding down the street and drinking Ocean Spray Cran Raspberry from the bottle and it got a lot of coverage.   His Tik Tok went viral and Ocean Spray even bought him a truck.  So, I guess that's where the advertisers got the idea of her drinking from the bottle?  I still hope she got charged and the clown sued her ass.

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1

I just saw this Ocean Spray ad last night. I thought I imagined her hitting the clown because the ad I saw wasn't as detailed as the one shown here. Maybe it was edited for time? I thought the woman looked like the actress who played Ray Romano's wife in his sitcom, Patricia something.

14 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I hate the new Amazon commercial where a dog is destroying the house when it's left alone. That dog needs obedience training not another dog.

THANK YOU! I don’t even OWN a dog, and I still know enough to call bullshit on that commercial!

• Like 6
On 2/16/2023 at 3:04 PM, millennium said:

Regarding

Why is it acceptable for this commercial to use an ethnic stereotype for humor?    I don't have a problem with it per se (other than Cecily Strong's fake enthusiasm comes off as very annoying) but it strikes me that this spot would have been "kaput" if it used an actor who isn't of a certain ethnicity to play up that ethnicity for laughs. 

I have no idea what you're talking about! 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Gharlane
  • Like 3

Airbnb has an ad where, instead of playing music like they normally do in various spots, they just have a phone ringing the entire time.  Who thought that this was a good idea?  I suppose they think it is good because it can get people's attention, and it did (in a negative way) the first time I saw it.  I was confused that the TV was ringing and thought something had somehow gotten screwed up with the voice/cable hookup (which lists the caller on the screen before the actual phone rings) and was going, "Did I do something?"  I was relieved to realize it was a commercial but not happy with Airbnb.  Now I just mute it every time it comes on.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

Airbnb has an ad where, instead of playing music like they normally do in various spots, they just have a phone ringing the entire time.  Who thought that this was a good idea?  I suppose they think it is good because it can get people's attention, and it did (in a negative way) the first time I saw it.  I was confused that the TV was ringing and thought something had somehow gotten screwed up with the voice/cable hookup (which lists the caller on the screen before the actual phone rings) and was going, "Did I do something?"  I was relieved to realize it was a commercial but not happy with Airbnb.  Now I just mute it every time it comes on.

I mute most of the TV commercials when they come on anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 2/19/2023 at 5:50 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Heaton. No, that's not her. She's a lot older now.

No she has a mild fleeting resemblance to Patricia Heaton, but this Ocean Spray woman is over-Botoxed with excessive lip fillers. 

On 2/17/2023 at 6:22 PM, RedElf said:

Ocean Spray thinks assault and battery is funny.

I am amazed to see this kind of needless violence in a commercial in this day & age. What was everyone thinking, all the hands this had to go through to make it to air? I hate it!

• Like 7
On 2/17/2023 at 9:57 AM, proserpina65 said:

Yeah, I don't think it's a stereotype. It's not like he strolled up eating a sausage and walking a wiener dog. I'm not so sure it's even a caricature. All he's doing is a German accent (maybe not a good one?) and wearing an Einstein wig. I don't know what Einstein sounded like when he spoke English, but I assume he did have an accent, having learned English in middle age, and without the wig, you wouldn't even know it was Einstein. It seems like they were doing the bare minimum to make it clear who it was.

• Like 9

Here's the Speedo commercial that was discussed last week. In case anyone hasn't seen it. Finally found found the commercial on YT so it could be embedded here. 

Update: I found a better version.

Edited by Jaded
6 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Yeah, I don't think it's a stereotype. It's not like he strolled up eating a sausage and walking a wiener dog. I'm not so sure it's even a caricature. All he's doing is a German accent (maybe not a good one?) and wearing an Einstein wig. I don't know what Einstein sounded like when he spoke English, but I assume he did have an accent, having learned English in middle age, and without the wig, you wouldn't even know it was Einstein. It seems like they were doing the bare minimum to make it clear who it was.

I'm just disappointed to see Paul Giamatti doing a Verizon commercial. He's way better than that.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

Here's the Speedo commercial that was discussed last week. In case anyone hasn't seen it. Finally found found the commercial on YT so it could be embedded here. The video says it was uploaded 9 days ago.

Gross.  The red! Speedo on the Dad bod "Dad" is totally unnecessary to demonstrate the clear skin claim of the drug.  The little girl thinks it's gross. I guess they were trying to inject humor into the prescription drug ad for yucks?  Yeah, it's yuck alright.

2 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Edited by CrystalBlue
quote box got in post and can't delete.
  • Sad 1
  • Wink 1
15 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I just saw that commercial for the first time and, yes, it's annoying as hell.

• Like 1
On 2/8/2023 at 12:32 PM, mbluecpa said:

Car Shield hasn’t cropped up on here for a while.  I keep seeing a version of their ad on the gym TV (so muted) and finally looked it up online.  It starts with a quote along the lines of “if you’re afraid to offend then you can’t be honest” then later states that the future of our country rests with its people and describes its potentially scammy product as “protecting your freedom.”

I guess they’re trying to align their product with “patriotism” or something. Whatever.

They've been headed that way for a while. Previous ads were all about how "the world is changing all around us" and that people need to make sure they are safe.

All their advertising is dog whistles.

• Like 10
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Welshman in Ca said:

The evidence would show otherwise.

I had to look him up; never heard the name and haven't seen any of his movies.  So, at one time he was considered an A-list actor and now he's doing this commercial as Einstein?

25 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh, same here. But I just feel like if they don't think it's beneath them, neither should anyone else. Plus, it's fast and easy work and pays well (at least that's what I've heard, haha; I don't personally know, of course!).

I agree. Most of the people we see in commercials are actors. Why shouldn't an actor known outside the world of commercials do the same? I assume actors enjoy working, so a commercial is another opportunity to do their craft.

• Like 6

I don't get why it's sad or bad for an actor to do a commercial if they want to.

Agreed. National commercials are good money.

The Old Spice guy said on a podcast that he made $70K and that was ten years ago.

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1

I don't get why it's sad or bad for an actor to do a commercial if they want to.

I usually don't mind them being in commercials unless it's for something like a reverse mortgage where they sound like they're giving viewers financial advice to those watching. I probably shouldn't have been surprised at Tom Selleck doing them all while being on a long running TV show. I was though. Henry Winkler kind of disappointed me by doing commercials for them too. I'm just one person though and know in the grand scheme of things my opinions on what they do don't really matter.  

• Like 3

I think because commercials generally are seen as something you do on your way up.

I don't think it really matters, although it seems a bit money-grubbing to me, and even if commercials aren't beneath Paul Giamatti, the weird Einstein role might be.

But I do think actors should be careful about their timing with commercials. Remember when Katherine Heigl was doing cat litter commercials? For all I know she didn't need the work, but after her career kind of slowed, it made it seem like no one else would hire her.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
37 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I usually don't mind them being in commercials unless it's for something like a reverse mortgage where they sound like they're giving viewers financial advice to those watching. I probably shouldn't have been surprised at Tom Selleck doing them all while being on a long running TV show. I was though. Henry Winkler kind of disappointed me by doing commercials for them too. I'm just one person though and know in the grand scheme of things my opinions on what they do don't really matter.  

i wouldn't have minded sellect doing commercials if he had done another one, maybe something to keep your mustache looking fresh (is there even anything that does that?)  but for this reverse mortgage product, nope.  

• Like 6

Oh, wow, I didn't recognize that was Paul Giamatti in that Einstein commercial.

I don't mind when successful actors still accept commercial roles, especially as they get older.  It's less work than they normally have to put in to earn that amount of money, and most people take paycheck roles at various points in their career, not only in the beginning.  And people with a lot more prestige and money in the bank than Giamatti have done it, so even now that I know it's him I don't bat an eye at that.

But when they're hawking something as themselves (like Tom Selleck asking folks to trust him about reverse mortgages, since it's not his first rodeo), rather than playing a role, I do care if it's a scammy product/service.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 14
  • Applause 5