Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Just now, annzeepark914 said:

I just saw the ad that I loathe, with the woman wailing away to the "music". It's for Whole Foods. Gosh...who knew that WF would have such an annoying ad?!?

I love that ad! It makes me get up and dance. 🤸‍♀️

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Are y'all talking about the Whole Foods commercials with the Du-Ettes song "Every Beat of My Heart"?  I like that song.

I had to turn off the sound once I recognized the song. That's it!! Who are the Du-ettes? I never heard this song 😖

• Like 1

Tovala -- so you have to add an expensive oven to your kitchen's current repetoire of 3 (standard, microwave, toaster ovens) to cook this one specific thing. 🙄

Even if I get "the REST of my night back!", how many of these meals do I have to buy to cover the cost of their Easy Bake knockoff?

If anyone has tried them, are the meals tasty?  A rip off?

• Applause 6
On 12/31/2022 at 12:11 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

God I hate this commercial. Bad song parodies are just painful.  And it's a parody of a generally awful song anyway. 

Well at least Craig Robinson isn't sniffing his underwear in the Gain commercial anymore. Still, I wish he could find better work. 

• LOL 5
12 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Well at least Craig Robinson isn't sniffing his underwear in the Gain commercial anymore. Still, I wish he could find better work. 

Good point!

And I actually like him. 

But his commercials are awful

On 12/29/2022 at 2:20 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

And on the Old Navy commercials, I really dislike them.   They played that commercial a bunch of times the other afternoon and evening, if anything it discouraged me from even going near old Navy, and it's a 5 minute drive from my house, with easy parking.  

I'm still mad at Old Navy for only selling their plus size clothes on their website for years and not carrying any of it in store during that time. I used to purchase some of the plus size stuff online for my Mom because they had some stuff in styles she liked at low prices. Since she was sick that stuff fit the bill since it was light in weight, loose and casual. I felt bad for the plus size people who liked to try on stuff or preferred to purchase in person during the time that whole selection was only online though.

• Like 7
10 hours ago, Jaded said:

I'm still mad at Old Navy for only selling their plus size clothes on their website for years and not carrying any of it in store during that time.

Ugh, how offensive -- "We want your money, but we don't want you icky fat people in our [allegedly] hip stores"?!

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
24 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Ugh, how offensive -- "We want your money, but we don't want you icky fat people in our [allegedly] hip stores"?!

Pretty much. They probably bring in tons in profit for the store but who cares. We can't have them in our store

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 12/31/2022 at 8:36 PM, littlebennysmom said:

Tovala -- so you have to add an expensive oven to your kitchen's current repetoire of 3 (standard, microwave, toaster ovens) to cook this one specific thing. 🙄

Even if I get "the REST of my night back!", how many of these meals do I have to buy to cover the cost of their Easy Bake knockoff?

If anyone has tried them, are the meals tasty?  A rip off?

I think the food looks good (in the commercial, at least) and that it's a pretty cool invention, especially for someone with little time or inclination to cook. And it's not like having a toaster or microwave is mandatory (and neither is cooking for oneself; I sometimes feel like meal-plan services/the people who use them are judged a little harshly*). And I suppose if someone uses it all the time, its price would be offset by not buying very much from a grocery store and eating/ordering out maybe. Lemme go see how much that thing is!

*I view not doing one's own grocery shopping and/or cooking the same as I would someone not doing their own plumbing or oil changes: they don't feel like it or don't know how. 

ETA: $299 on its own, it looks like, but $99 with 6 meals' worth of the food (I didn't go down the rabbit hole of the food prices, which is not to say I won't, out of nagging curiosity). I'd probably try it if I suddenly woke up and decided not to make my own food for whatever reason -- or if all of my appliances broke at once, haha! (Oy, I am out of work; I probably shouldn't joke about that right now.)

76954dfb-1324-4e03-bb89-3dbcf386d6d7_text.gif.929e9440d2135acc2228691ae891517a.gif

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1
  • Wink 2
2 hours ago, janie jones said:

The State Farm commercial with the guy smelling his beard is the most repulsive thing I've seen in quite some time.

It is, I agree 💯.  Completely gagworthy.  There's no shortage of JFSF commercials and I wonder if we'll have to suffer another year of Jake.

• Like 2
On 12/31/2022 at 8:36 PM, littlebennysmom said:

I couldn't help but wonder if the Tovala did anything else than cook/reheat their meals with bar codes. 

7 hours ago, janie jones said:

The State Farm commercial with the guy smelling his beard is the most repulsive thing I've seen in quite some time.

Yeah, that was just nasty, easily beating the woman who saves pieces of shrimp under her bed!  

Edited by Gharlane
  • Like 5
6 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I couldn't help but wonder if the Tovala did anything else than cook/reheat their meals with bar codes. 

Yeah, that was just nasty, easily beating the woman who saves pieces of shrimp under her bed!  

Commercials in general seem to be just getting grosser and grosser every day. Bleh.

• Like 8
On 12/22/2022 at 9:03 PM, peacheslatour said:

Jennifer Coolidge?

Coolidge had supporting roles in the American Pie film series (1999–2012) and the Legally Blonde film series (2001–2003). She has regularly collaborated with Christopher Guest on his mockumentary films, such as Best in Show (2000), A Mighty Wind (2003), For Your Consideration (2006), and Mascots (2016). She has also appeared in the films A Cinderella Story (2004), Click (2006), Date Movie (2006), Epic Movie (2007), Promising Young Woman (2020), and Single All the Way (2021).

On television, Coolidge has appeared in the sitcoms Joey (2004–2006), The Secret Life of the American Teenager (2008–2012), and 2 Broke Girls (2011–2017), and the drama series The Watcher (2022). She gained acclaim for starring as Tanya McQuoid, an insecure rich woman, in the HBO anthology series The White Lotus (2021–2022), winning a Primetime Emmy Award and nominations for two Golden Globe Awards.

I have literally seen none of those things although I have seen her in commercials for Two Broke Girls.  I did see her in an episode of Friends where she played an annoying ex-friend whom Monica and Phoebe were trying to avoid and it seemed like type casting.  I just hate her from how annoying she is in the Old Navy commercial.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Gharlane said:

What? Fortunately I've missed this one!  Remember the good old days when we had Parker the Pizza Deliveryperson and Tattooed Butcher Shop Chick?

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I was curious also. I looked into it, and yes, you can use it for more than their meals. I read a review that was looking at prepared meal kits, and the reviewers were impressed with the meals and the oven. They said it took up about the same amount of counter space as a toaster oven. The cost of the oven was $299. It wasn't clear to me if you paid full price or got a discount for the oven if you subscribed for a certain number of meals.

• Useful 3
8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The cost of the oven was $299. It wasn't clear to me if you paid full price or got a discount for the oven if you subscribed for a certain number of meals.

I'm surprised.  When I first heard of Tovala I checked it out (not that I wanted to get one) and it was over $1100.  (I think it was Tovala.  Maybe it was a similar oven.)

8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I was curious also. I looked into it, and yes, you can use it for more than their meals. I read a review that was looking at prepared meal kits, and the reviewers were impressed with the meals and the oven. They said it took up about the same amount of counter space as a toaster oven. The cost of the oven was $299. It wasn't clear to me if you paid full price or got a discount for the oven if you subscribed for a certain number of meals.

There's a huge array of fresh meal delivery services that do not require the extra cost of a separate appliance.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I've seen it as low as $99 in a few places if anyone is seriously thinking about it. The fact that it takes zero thinking about to cook due to the oven scanning it & doing everything for you seems to be a big advantage over others.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

I've seen it as low as $99 in a few places if anyone is seriously thinking about it. The fact that it takes zero thinking about to cook due to the oven scanning it & doing everything for you seems to be a big advantage over others.

I want one of these ovens though not necassarily that brand. I would love to get rid of my free standing range and trade it for more storage space. Then I would have room for a Kitchenaid mixer!

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

You don't want a gallon of ranch dressing to dip your pizza in? (Personally I think that sounds grooossss.)

Horrifying!  Just the sight of it.  The whole commercial has a weird vibe too.. 

10 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

There's a huge array of fresh meal delivery services that do not require the extra cost of a separate appliance.

With the meal already prepared?  I order from a bunch of meal prep kit services but I have to chop the carrots, onions, etc.  

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

With the meal already prepared?  I order from a bunch of meal prep kit services but I have to chop the carrots, onions, etc.  

There are some prepared meal kits that just need to be heated. Can't think of names but I've seen them advertised. Heck, Blue Apron offers some already prepared meals that just need to be nuked. I tried a few and found them to be mediocre at best, some went in the trash. I just buy Panera Bread bowls at the grocery store if I don't feel like cooking.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Horrifying!  Just the sight of it.  The whole commercial has a weird vibe too.. 

Ah, good point, I'm not a buyer of them, I just see commercials for many different meal delivery companies.

• Like 2

Those Smirnoff commercials with Anthony Anderson and his mother leaning into the pushy mom trope -- "This is my house!" he says to be told, "This is MY kitchen and I know what the people want!"  "Whatever you want, Momma."

No, not whatever you want, Momma.  🙄  Imagine reversing the positions where her adult child insists "it's MY kitchen!" in that boundary crossing control freak's house.

• Like 9
3 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

Those Smirnoff commercials with Anthony Anderson and his mother leaning into the pushy mom trope -- "This is my house!" he says to be told, "This is MY kitchen and I know what the people want!"  "Whatever you want, Momma."

No, not whatever you want, Momma.  🙄  Imagine reversing the positions where her adult child insists "it's MY kitchen!" in that boundary crossing control freak's house.

Perhaps she's drunk. I find it VERY hypocritial of him doing all those diabetes commercials and then doing one for alcohol.

• Like 10
10 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

I hate the way he says "Whatever you want." It's like the way men say "Yes, dear." It's like weaponized incompetence writ large.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

In any case, I haven't been able to stand Anthony Anderson since seeing him and Kevin Hart do the Brokeback Mountain spoof in Scary Movie 4, and that was before finding out about the multiple sexual assault allegations against him. He and his overbearing, nightclubbing mama can GTFO my TV screen.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2

I can't believe there haven't been any comments about:

Force Factor fake medicine with 'Richard Johnson' playing golf accompanied by a cute blond woman. He tries to hit the ball, but his club goes limp. She seductively suggests that he take Force Factor and- his club stiffens right up. 'Score!' he cries. How subtle, yeesh.

Wush ear cleaning device. A very hairy man agressively demonstrates this complicated water-squirting thing, and at the end he says something like 'So WUSH your ears, you dirty you'! with a playful smirk. Bizarre. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3

I was in Old Navy today and I think the sorry not sorry commercials make sense to me now. They have a big poster up that says something like, "If celebrating the holidays the way I want to is wrong, then I don't want to be right. #sorrynotsorry"

I mean, the commercial is still ridiculous because they didn't show them celebrating the holidays in any particularly strange way, but at least I get the use of "sorry, not sorry" now.

• Useful 5
22 hours ago, janie jones said:

I mean, the commercial is still ridiculous because they didn't show them celebrating the holidays in any particularly strange way,

Which is particularly weird given they hired Jennifer Coolidge for them -- she's tailor made for strange scenarios.  Show her having a grand old time at those, and then #sorrynotsorry makes sense.

• Like 3

There are these awful SELF commercials about improving your credit, just constant and the last guy giggling, annoys me.

There is another Rocket something or other that is some kind of service to get so that they can find all these applications/things you are subscribed to and cancel them for you.  Maybe the person could just look at their checking account and notice that a charge is happening every month instead of paying a service to look for you.  And they make it sound like we all have a lot of these.  Really?

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
40 minutes ago, cinsays said:

Maybe the person could just look at their checking account

My recurring charges do not come out of my checking account. They go on a credit card, so I'd have to check several credit cards. Not a big deal, but it may be for some folks. I can see some people totally forgetting they had subscribed to something. Especially if you're dealing with someone older or not as sharp as they used to be.

• Like 2