Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I put everything on one credit card and pay it in full monthly, and keep track of everything via Quicken, so my accounts are reconciled each month and nothing is going to get by me.  But I can see how people with a different system - or, especially, no system at all - could fail to realize they have a monthly automated charge for something they no longer want to be paying for.  I just haven't paid any attention, since I've only seen the commercial a couple of times, to whether this service is effectively advertised as a good way of identifying them.

• Applause 2
3 hours ago, sempervivum said:

WHY are Medicare supplement ads running again?? I thought after Dec. 7th (I think that was the deadline)2023 was OVER. Are these for getting people enrolled or changed for 2024?

People sign up for their Medicare 365 days a year.  You must sign up at least three months before you turn 65 and get three months after your BD to do so.  (After that, there is a penalty for signing up later that follows you the rest of your life.)  You sign up for Medicare Parts A and B, then you select a supplemental plan at the same time that you sign up.  Open enrollment is for those people who want to change their plan to one more advantageous for them (lower premiums, higher quality coverage, better drug plan) or have moved to a new region (state, county where your providers would be different).

Commercials for Medicare supplemental insurance plans (advantage plans) are not going away, they just remind everyone (whether you want to hear about it or not!) of the open enrollment period for those people changing an existing plan.

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I can see some people totally forgetting they had subscribed to something. Especially if you're dealing with someone older or not as sharp as they used to be.

Or, like in my SIL's case, my brother signed up for a bunch of crap that he thought was necessary, didn't write any of it down anywhere, died, and now SIL is stuck trying to figure out what the heck all these charges are and are they necessary?  But with her not knowing, I think it's kind of scary - she's cancelling Dropbox without knowing what Joe had stored there.  If free Dropbox wasn't enough, what the hell did he put in his Dropbox?  Will she miss it?

• Sad 7

In one of those Rocket commercials, a woman says that she is always signing up for free trials, but never remembers to cancel ANY of them.  I can see it happening once or twice, but after that, it just seems like she isn't very bright!  The scenarios others have described (I didn't see there were more posts) make more sense than the young woman in this ad, who just seems a little flaky.

Edited by KWalkerInc
  • Like 5
20 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

People sign up for their Medicare 365 days a year.  You must sign up at least three months before you turn 65 and get three months after your BD to do so. 

I noticed today that the beginning of the commercial with the 2 women calling on the phone is changed to say "we have an important birthday coming up".

So, yes, aimed at those turning 65.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 1/2/2023 at 12:44 PM, TattleTeeny said:

I think the food looks good (in the commercial, at least) and that it's a pretty cool invention, especially for someone with little time or inclination to cook. And it's not like having a toaster or microwave is mandatory (and neither is cooking for oneself; I sometimes feel like meal-plan services/the people who use them are judged a little harshly*). And I suppose if someone uses it all the time, its price would be offset by not buying very much from a grocery store and eating/ordering out maybe. Lemme go see how much that thing is!

*I view not doing one's own grocery shopping and/or cooking the same as I would someone not doing their own plumbing or oil changes: they don't feel like it or don't know how. 

ETA: $299 on its own, it looks like, but $99 with 6 meals' worth of the food (I didn't go down the rabbit hole of the food prices, which is not to say I won't, out of nagging curiosity). I'd probably try it if I suddenly woke up and decided not to make my own food for whatever reason -- or if all of my appliances broke at once, haha! (Oy, I am out of work; I probably shouldn't joke about that right now.)

76954dfb-1324-4e03-bb89-3dbcf386d6d7_text.gif.929e9440d2135acc2228691ae891517a.gif

Fell down the Tovala rabbit hole. It is $99 for 6 different orders of meals, not just 6 meals. Food looks good but most meals cost $12.99 each, there are a few for $9.99 and a bunch over $12.99. The food is too pricey for my budget unfortunately. Being a single, it is something that would work well for my needs, but $$$$

• Like 3
On 1/8/2023 at 12:56 PM, chessiegal said:

My recurring charges do not come out of my checking account. They go on a credit card, so I'd have to check several credit cards. Not a big deal, but it may be for some folks. I can see some people totally forgetting they had subscribed to something. Especially if you're dealing with someone older or not as sharp as they used to be.

I had most of my monthly bills (I don't subscribe to any special services) coming from my debit card and a few from checking. That has always worked for me until last month when I fell and was in hospital/rehab 17 days. My debit card expired the end of Nov and as I paid bills I updated the expiry date. I fell 12/16 and the paramedics whisked me out and to the hospital with nothing but the clothes (pjs) on my back. Meantime bills were due and going unpaid due to expired card.

It has been a nightmare straightening all this mess out and in the process switching any bills I could to come directly from my checkbook.  I don't want to go through this ever again!!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 6
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

Fell down the Tovala rabbit hole. It is $99 for 6 different orders of meals, not just 6 meals. Food looks good but most meals cost $12.99 each, there are a few for $9.99 and a bunch over $12.99. The food is too pricey for my budget unfortunately. Being a single, it is something that would work well for my needs, but $$$$

So, do you have to buy the oven separately?

4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

So, do you have to buy the oven separately?

yes, I think so, it is $99 once you have mad 6 separate sets of meals. Wasn't clear if you paid the $299 up front and then got credit back for the $200 after 6 orders (not 6 meals) . Maybe they just give you a $200 credit toward food. That part wasn't clearly explained.

• Thanks 1

The DoorDash commercial of an angry, screaming/singing guy marching through the streets with a bunch of other people about how they love food -- what's with the lead guy looking like he's going to stroke out from rage and exertion until and including the end where he shouts, "SaLUD!"?

This commercial always makes me think about foregoing meal delivery altogether.

Edited by littlebennysmom
Spelling correction
  • Like 2

Those takeout delivery services are already so sketchy about fees and vetting drivers, you'd think they would be really careful not to put off potential customers with questionable advertising.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Skyrizi is back with a retooled jingle in its commercials. It still sucks.

Plus, they have an ad where a woman is taking a bite of a burger, but it is obvious that she isn’t really. I understand why the actor wouldn’t really want to eat the food, but let’s not fake it so obviously.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

I hate the two new Dr. Rick commercials.  I don't know anyone who acts like that in an elevator, and most of the older people with whom I've ridden elevators specifically DON'T engage with strangers in there.  And the trash can thing, there's nothing wrong or "old person" about putting the address on the can; they can be expensive to replace if they blow away in bad weather and with the address on them, there's at least a chance you might get them back.

I've decided I really haven't like a Dr. Rick commercial in ages.  Maybe not since the days of "Defense DOES win championships".

• Like 7
  • Love 1

That Frank's Red Hot sauce commercial where everybody slaps food out of that one guy's hands because he didn't put hot sauce on his food. Not everybody likes spicy food. And if you slap food out my hands for that reason, you will most certainly catch them.

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 3
On 1/13/2023 at 8:21 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Ugh, the SportsClips commercial; the “oh yeah” song is bad enough, but then the woman at the end who garbles the phrase “oh yeah,” making it sound like “uh yah” — on helium, of course.

I don't mind the original SportsClips commercial but hate the one with a Ted Lazlo ripoff pretending to train their haircutters. 

Just saw the Skyrizi commercial with the updated song—I think it’s different because this commercial is about the drug's indication for Crohn’s disease, while the other commercial/song is for the psoriasis indication. Not that it makes the commercials more tolerable, of course. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Just saw the Skyrizi commercial with the updated song—I think it’s different because this commercial is about the drug's indication for Crohn’s disease, while the other commercial/song is for the psoriasis indication. Not that it makes the commercials more tolerable, of course. 

It's a floor wax!  It's a dessert topping!  

• LOL 14

I find each iteration of the Skyrizi jingle slightly more bearable, what's wrong with me??? I caught myself singing along with the latest one last night.

I'm very, very sick of the Liberty Mutual 'pie eating contest', but a contender would be their 'car wash' ad-although we do at least get to see Doug getting slapped in the face by the wet, sudsy flaps.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I find each iteration of the Skyrizi jingle slightly more bearable, what's wrong with me??? I caught myself singing along with the latest one last night.

Nothing is everything.

Nothing is everything.

Nothing is everything.

Nothing is everything.

ridley-scott-apple-1984.webp

Edited by millennium
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 6

So according to Domino's, they're using electric vehicles to deliver to you because they care about the environment, but at the same time, they're going to pay you if you get into your car and drive to pick up the pizza.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 12
47 minutes ago, RedElf said:

So according to Domino's, they're using electric vehicles to deliver to you because they care about the environment, but at the same time, they're going to pay you if you get into your car and drive to pick up the pizza.

Would I get extra if I drove my electric car to pick up my "pizza"? (Not gonna happen--I do drive an electric car but I actually like pizza so no Domino's for me.)

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
On 1/13/2023 at 11:31 AM, proserpina65 said:

I hate the two new Dr. Rick commercials.  I don't know anyone who acts like that in an elevator, and most of the older people with whom I've ridden elevators specifically DON'T engage with strangers in there.  And the trash can thing, there's nothing wrong or "old person" about putting the address on the can; they can be expensive to replace if they blow away in bad weather and with the address on them, there's at least a chance you might get them back.

I've decided I really haven't like a Dr. Rick commercial in ages.  Maybe not since the days of "Defense DOES win championships".

The only conversation that happens in an elevator is asking to hold the door open and what floor you want. I think the funniest Dr Rick commercial was the one at the airport.

Yeah, I really like the last two Dr. Rick commercials. A nice rebound from the airport and "should left a text" versions that I didn't care for. 

I also like the old Skyrizi song, especially the twangy country version -- "nothing is everythaaaaaang!" The new one sent me flying to google to see why it was different. I agree that's it's likely because it's focused on Crohn's. 

Lastly, I hate Domino's "we'll tip you $3." If they really want to tip $3, just take it off the online order or remove it in store if the customer is paying cash. Otherwise, it's just a lousy coupon that probably requires a minimum purchase the next time you order and expires before you're in the mood for Domino's again. 

• Like 9

I hate the Lume commercials, but she is/was a Gyn-Ob... I imagine she must have a few horror stories of what she encounters.

When I worked at a dental office, we had a dental assistant who was from Russia. Apparently, she came from a family that believed you can't bathe during your period.  You could smell this woman as soon as she walked in the door. The office manager told her to go home, take a shower & come back to work.  Gee, who knew that all she needed was some Lume?

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 7
  • LOL 2
On 1/19/2023 at 8:48 PM, RedElf said:

Was it really necessary for this guy to have sweaty armpits?

Why would anybody think seeing a hot-tub full of mashed potatoes would want to make someone want to eat them?

• Like 5

I was enjoying a Seinfeld "marathon" of sorts until the new Lume ads started. She now mentions using the product in "bifolds"? and butt cracks (as she points to these areas). WTH is going on with TV commercials these days? Is there no longer any control over what is said? 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Love 3
On 1/20/2023 at 5:12 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I hate the Lume commercials, but she is/was a Gyn-Ob... I imagine she must have a few horror stories of what she encounters.

It wouldn't surprise me if one or more of her patients have had their own horror stories about dealing with her.

Who'd want to have someone with less tact than a Neanderthal (as my Nana used to say) tend to their medical issues (and I'd say this if she had been a podiatrist)?

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Besides muting every single commercial for pharmaceuticals, I quickly mute the stupid screaming Drew Barrymore one where she yells Yes over and over like in the When Harry Met Sally deli and then she yells BINGO at the top of her voice. Sometimes it appears on the TV in my office and as I scramble to hit the Mute button, I wonder what the guy next door is thinking of me.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 2
  • Applause 4
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I was enjoying a Seinfeld "marathon" of sorts until the new Lume ads started. She now mentions using the product in "bifolds"? and butt cracks (as she points to these areas). WTH is going on with TV commercials these days? Is there no longer any control over what is said? 

THIGH folds... the fold between the thigh and the mons pubis. 

• Useful 3
29 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I quickly mute the stupid screaming Drew Barrymore

She doing ads for PlutoTV, touting their thousands of free television in all sorts of genres. For the romance channels, she's dressed all in yellow, sitting in a subway car, dropping crap out of her purse so she can "meet cute" a soulmate who'll pick up her scrunchie.  The lady next to her points out ALL the contents of her purse on the floor and Drew says, "I know. I'm meet-cuting."  AIIIIEEEEEE.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 3
16 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

She doing ads for PlutoTV, touting their thousands of free television in all sorts of genres. For the romance channels, she's dressed all in yellow, sitting in a subway car, dropping crap out of her purse so she can "meet cute" a soulmate who'll pick up her scrunchie.  The lady next to her points out ALL the contents of her purse on the floor and Drew says, "I know. I'm meet-cuting."  AIIIIEEEEEE.

IMO, this would be an ideal time for E.T. to show up and take Miss Barrymore on a very extended tour!

• Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 12
  • Love 1