Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Jennifer Coolidge just won an Emmy for White Lotus so it seems like she's cashing in. The commercial reeks of having been thrown together as quickly as possible, that's probably why it doesn't make any sense.

New car commercial, I think it's for BMW. Guy pulls up to his parent's house for Christmas, they have giant red bows decorating the front of their house (who does that?) and one of them falls on top of his car. So when the parents come outside and see the giant bow on the car they think he bought them a car. So he gives them his car. 

Like, how dumb is this guy? What a pushover. I bet his parents have been manipulating him like this all his life, no wonder he's such a sap. The only funny thing is when they're out driving the dad says "I can't wait to see what you got your mom!" and the guy glares at the camera. 

And, wrongly or not, why did the dad assume that the car was for only him anyway? 

• Like 5
On 12/22/2022 at 3:27 PM, dleighg said:

I don't even know who she is, so for me this commercial REALLY doesn't make sense.

I do know who she is and the commercial still doesn't make any sense. They don't show anything to be sorry/not sorry about.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Has anyone seen the Eco Punch commercial? My advice is DON'T. I only listened to it and it's one of the most disgusting, vomit inducing things imaginable. I don't even want to think about actually seeing it.

I had to google the company. Oh. Septic tank stuff. No, thanks.

• Like 2
On 12/23/2022 at 11:23 AM, iMonrey said:

New car commercial, I think it's for BMW. Guy pulls up to his parent's house for Christmas, they have giant red bows decorating the front of their house (who does that?) and one of them falls on top of his car. So when the parents come outside and see the giant bow on the car they think he bought them a car. So he gives them his car. 

Like, how dumb is this guy? What a pushover. I bet his parents have been manipulating him like this all his life, no wonder he's such a sap. The only funny thing is when they're out driving the dad says "I can't wait to see what you got your mom!" and the guy glares at the camera. 

I loathe this commercial. And it's being shown over & over, ad nauseum 🤬. It makes the dad look like an addlepated oldster, and the son look so pathetically wimpy. But the worst ads of *all* time are the graphic Lumine ads. They are so offensive. They sponsor figure skatng competitions this season so I see them a lot. And the sniffers are always women. So gross.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 5

VW, I was really rooting for that rude-ass jerk to get run over, so your brake assist feature was actually a disappointment.

I think there is a small disclaimer under the Jennifer Coolidge Old Navy ads that says something like the internet helped make the ads, so that’s probably why they don’t make sense.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

There's a weird ad on for Wegmans right now.  A kid notices an older woman next door having to shovel snow by herself, do stuff around the house, etc. Then, there's a holiday meal at his home and he takes a plate of food outside and walks across the side lawn to the old lady's house. At this point, I'm thinking...would I let my little kid do this with today's weirdos skulking around? (20 years ago I wouldn't have thought anything of this scene)  He rings her doorbell, she answers and he hands her the plate. Wegmans has a holiday greeting. Then it says they're hiring. End of ad. I just don't like this ad because of that one scene of him outdoors at night, alone.

• Like 1

Sorry but the voice -over in the alzheimer's commercials with Tony Bennett and  lady Gaga bugs the piss out of me. "collaborate, harmonize ..." that doesn't even make sense., wtf do they mean?

• Like 1

Watched a lot of real time tv over the weekend, so I couldn’t avoid the commercials. I’m really confused by the Planters Nut ad. The peanut is carving a nut bowl, and says that before this “tradition” people were confused. Cut to a woman who can’t seem to figure out how to get out of a room, and another who is gazing at a handful of peanuts and mumbling about how funny she is. I have no clue what this means. You have to eat nuts from a special bowl or you will be less than able? People were confused before Planters existed? I should only eat nuts from a special bowl? Not to mention the fact they killed off the peanut a few years ago, so the current one could only have a tradition a few years old. Does no one vet these things before they hit the airwaves?

• Like 6
12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

There's a weird ad on for Wegmans right now.  A kid notices an older woman next door having to shovel snow by herself, do stuff around the house, etc. Then, there's a holiday meal at his home and he takes a plate of food outside and walks across the side lawn to the old lady's house. At this point, I'm thinking...would I let my little kid do this with today's weirdos skulking around? (20 years ago I wouldn't have thought anything of this scene)  He rings her doorbell, she answers and he hands her the plate. Wegmans has a holiday greeting. Then it says they're hiring. End of ad. I just don't like this ad because of that one scene of him outdoors at night, alone.

I haven't seen this ad (no Wegmans nearby), but I'm mad at it because the kid didn't offer to help the woman shovel!  

• Like 10

I looked up the Wegmans holiday commercial, and that is the exact opposite of what happens.  This kid doesn't sit around watching an elderly neighbor shovel snow and such, he does her yard work all year long -- he rakes leaves, brings potted plants, takes the rubbish bin to the curb, shovels snow, etc. (even brings the cat back in when she/he gets out), as the seasons pass. 

We don't even see the neighbor until the end, when he brings her (right next door, so I have no issue with him being out alone for 20 feet, to address the other issue raised) a plate of his family's Christmas dinner and that's when we learn the yard he's been maintaining all year is the neighbor's, not his family's.

Here's 2021, when it seems to have premiered (given the "get back to" verbiage):

And a shorter version labeled 2022:

I was expecting something aggravating, but the kid's a gem, not an asshole (or the future sad story on the side of a milk carton).  Maybe there's a version where he sees her doing all this, and then takes over?  But I couldn't find one online.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 7
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

Wow...I've never seen either of these Wegmans ads. The ad I'm seeing starts out showing the kid watching the neighbor working around her yard. Then it uses a very small part of the scene of the kid getting a bit of food, then carrying it next door, ringing the bell and giving her the plate.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 12/23/2022 at 11:23 AM, iMonrey said:

This commercial's been annoying me all season, but the way his face drops instantly into a glare is the only thing I like about it!

On 12/23/2022 at 3:08 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Dude, if you need a clock with James Earl Jones reading selections from the bible to keep your faith in line, you and your god have got REAL problems

Darth Vader can be very persuasive.

• LOL 7

So glad we won't have to hear her dumb song or see this commercial after Christmas.  Unless Old Navy has another New Year's version ready to start airing Monday.

Ding ding ding. Sure enough there's a sequel so Coolidge can continue shilling for Old Navy beyond Christmas. Still "sorry not sorry" and still don't get it.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

This commercial annoys me because there's no need for the husband and wife to be walking to the car with all that stuff and the kids.  Why not have her inside with the kids, have him load up the car, then the wife and kids get inside?  

• Like 2
On 12/26/2022 at 7:21 AM, 2soon2tell said:

Watched a lot of real time tv over the weekend, so I couldn’t avoid the commercials. I’m really confused by the Planters Nut ad. The peanut is carving a nut bowl, and says that before this “tradition” people were confused. Cut to a woman who can’t seem to figure out how to get out of a room, and another who is gazing at a handful of peanuts and mumbling about how funny she is. I have no clue what this means. You have to eat nuts from a special bowl or you will be less than able? People were confused before Planters existed? I should only eat nuts from a special bowl? Not to mention the fact they killed off the peanut a few years ago, so the current one could only have a tradition a few years old. Does no one vet these things before they hit the airwaves?

And is there a reason that the one woman pronounces “hilarious” as “hilla rheeus”?

I tend to laugh at really random things, but what are we missing here?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Ding ding ding. Sure enough there's a sequel so Coolidge can continue shilling for Old Navy beyond Christmas. Still "sorry not sorry" and still don't get it.

I saw that today, apparently there are huge discounts at Old Navy, and I still don't understand the "sorry, not sorry" line.    When so many of us don't have a clue about it, it's a big fail. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I saw that today, apparently there are huge discounts at Old Navy, and I still don't understand the "sorry, not sorry" line.    When so many of us don't have a clue about it, it's a big fail. 

She's sorry/not about her singing, apparently. She ought to remain sorry.

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

I'm sick of any ads where someone pretends to knock on the inside of your TV to get the audience's attention.  There is a new one for Secret deodorant with a woman doing that, and there's been one for a while with some annoying guy (I think he's identified as "#1 Male Influencer" or something like that).  I think that one has something to do with regrowing hair, but I always mute it and look away as soon as the guy knocks.

• Like 6
On 11/19/2022 at 6:36 AM, ctlady said:

I don’t buy any of these fast weight loss gimmicks. Most ‘after’ photos are all clever angles, twisted pony leg, hand on hip and arm thrust back

All of the above^^

And is that (still) Marie Osmand in the Nutrisystem commercial? It looks like it might be her but if it is, she's got the best plastics surgeon ever! 

• Like 5
On 12/16/2022 at 4:22 AM, Haleth said:

I'm still not convinced it's not a parody.

Not that cost should be a factor in making medical decisions, when my husband had a colonoscopy it ended up costing over $1000 for the anesthesia.  That and the prep scared me off.  Cologard costs nothing and doesn't make you drink that vile liquid all day.

I have been told that there may be insurance/medicare payment issues if you do get a positive from the Cologard and do need a colonoscopy.  The insurance figures you have already had a test and don't want to pay for a second procedure.  I have not looked into it personally, however.

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I've read about the same issue with some insurance companies.  A positive test leading to a colonoscopy made the Cologuard a diagnostic procedure, not a screening test, and the cost to the patient with that insurance company was staggering.  I don't think something like Cologuard with the high false positive rate is  an adequate screening test.  I'm wondering about the false negative rate? 

Taking Cologuard discussion to small talk

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

All of the above^^

And is that (still) Marie Osmand in the Nutrisystem commercial? It looks like it might be her but if it is, she's got the best plastics surgeon ever! 

You mean it wasn't Nutrisystem that made her look so good? 😲🤣

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

And on the Old Navy commercials, I really dislike them.   They played that commercial a bunch of times the other afternoon and evening, if anything it discouraged me from even going near old Navy, and it's a 5 minute drive from my house, with easy parking.  

• Like 6
19 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

OK.  I am officially over the stupid Old Navy commercials with the woman pounding on the piano. 

That's Jennifer Coolidge, who I generally enjoy, but, yeah, I'm sick of those commercials, too.  (And like others have noted, have no idea what she's #sorrynotsorry about.)

• Like 3
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That's kind of her schtick though.

In my experience, boozy floozies can be interesting and entertaining.  She's neither in these spots, or in anything else I've seen her in (don't have access to White Lotus/wouldn't want to see it thanks to her commercials -- sOrRy NoT sOrRy!)

• Like 1

Does “sorry not sorry” mean “I’m sorry—no, I changed my mind; I am not sorry after all”? Or does it mean “I regret that I am not sorry about [something]”? 

By the time commercial creators get hold of some phrase like this, I’m usually already so tired of it, even if I laughed at it the first time I read/heard it. (I did NOT laugh at “sorry not sorry” ever; from the start, I have found it annoying, as are the people who use it and inevitably believe themselves to be so clever.)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 8
19 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Does “sorry not sorry” mean “I’m sorry—no, I changed my mind; I am not sorry after all”? Or does it mean “I regret that I am not sorry about [something]”? 

By the time commercial creators get hold of some phrase like this, I’m usually already so tired of it, even if I laughed at it the first time I read/heard it. (I did NOT laugh at “sorry not sorry” ever; from the start, I have found it annoying, as are the people who use it and inevitably believe themselves to be so clever.)

I googled it earlier, and it meant you were sorry for the situation,  but not really sorry it happened.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

That seems like it doesn’t make sense. Does it? Now I’m thinking too much about it and can’t decide. And it still doesn’t make sense in the context of the commercials that say it.

I agree that doesn't make sense. I've always taken sorry/not sorry the same way as yeah/no. Sorry (because society has told me this is what I'm supposed to answer but I'm lying) followed by the truth - I am not sorry.

Yeah/No - the yeah is the lie, the no is the truth.

• Like 10

Yeah, I've always assumed it means society tells me I'm supposed to be sorry for what I just said or did, but I'm quite defiantly not, so:  Sorry, not sorry.

Which is why the commercials make no sense to me.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I've  always taken "Sorry, not sorry" to mean "I'm not the least bit sorry for (whatever), and I do not regret not being  sorry. 

Like, if you threw a glass of water at me, then slipped in the spilled water and broke your wrist.... sorry, not sorry.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

But why would the “sorry” part be there if only the “not sorry” part was intended?

"I hate to break it to you, but I'm not sorry," or alternatively, "I'm sorry if it bothers you that I'm not sorry about what I've said/done."

Edited by janie jones
  • Like 3
11 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

That seems like it doesn’t make sense. Does it? Now I’m thinking too much about it and can’t decide. And it still doesn’t make sense in the context of the commercials that say it.

I am thinking that Jennifer Coolidge and the makers of the commercial know that it is cheesy, campy, bad song but she is going to sing it anyway and for that she is sorry but not really.  

Unpopular opinion here but my (in my head) friend can do no wrong...not even sorry about my opinion, lol.

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I am thinking that Jennifer Coolidge and the makers of the commercial know that it is cheesy, campy, bad song but she is going to sing it anyway and for that she is sorry but not really.  

Unpopular opinion here but my (in my head) friend can do no wrong...not even sorry about my opinion, lol.

and that's going to make me want to shop there?  nope

meanwhile, Betty, trying to figure out your icon/avatar - is that a kangaroo sitting on a platter?

• LOL 2
6 hours ago, cinsays said:

and that's going to make me want to shop there?  nope

meanwhile, Betty, trying to figure out your icon/avatar - is that a kangaroo sitting on a platter?

LOL, that is my cat (he is gone now but I have another one but not as thin), he is a Cornish Rex, he is warming up on the cockpot. I have always described that breed looking like an alien kangaroo, they don't have the long guard hairs that regular cats have, their fur is like a marcel wave (think 1930's perm for women), he was a glorious cat.

I have not shopped at Old Navy in decades, nothing ever fits me well.

Edited by Baltimore Betty
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

LOL, that is my cat (he is gone now but I have another one but not as thin), he is a Cornish Rex, he is warming up on the cockpot.

I'm pretty sure you meant crock pot but that wouldn't have been as funny.

No editing allowed.

• LOL 14