Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

If we're talking about NutriSystem, it took me 2-3 hours.

This is slightly dating myself, but this reminds me of when comedian Sinbad talked about being on NutriSystem. He said that his consultant told him that if he wanted a snack, he could eat a NutriChip. He told the consultant that if he could just eat one chip and close the bag back up, he wouldn't need NutriSystem.

• Love 9

There's this commercial for a small air conditioning company in Texas that I have to suffer through at least once a week every summer:

"It was the heat hottest part of the summer..." It drives me nuts. I've googled "heat hottest" thinking maybe this is regional and I'm just not familiar with the saying, but no. (I admit this is a small thing but since I have to hear it so often it annoys the hell out of me.)

• Love 5
On 1/30/2018 at 11:34 AM, Moose135 said:

"Sprinkles are for winners..."

That one's funny, because it's done in the style of those cheesy afterschool specials they used to air. 

But otherwise, I agree. Lately, the Progressive commercials with Jamie are mean to him.

On 1/30/2018 at 10:18 AM, janie jones said:

The coaches on the monitors in the Peloton commercials annoy me, too.

Smug bastards, throwing their fitness in our fat faces. 

Maybe because I'm going through a stressful time at the moment, but lately, every single commercial that airs has been annoying the shit out of me.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

If we're talking about NutriSystem, it took me 2-3 hours.

Well, I had already paid for a month's supply, so the Sunken Costs Fallacy gave me more willpower.  I had some of their vile soups left over like a year later.  I didn't want to throw them away and I couldn't bear the thought of actually eating them.  I ended up putting up an ad on the "Free Stuff" section of Craigslist and gave them away.  Since it was local (that's the nature of Craigslist after all), I got a taker pretty quickly and I just bagged them up and left them on his front porch.  I hope he liked them more than I did.

I am a little insulted by that abomination they called "pizza", and that was sadly their best non-snack product.  Pizza is not a 2 inch by 3 inch rectangle of chewy bread with a pouch of sauce and an ounce of shredded old cheese product.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, seasons said:

I would if:

1)  She wasn't so damn obnoxious with the yelling, and weird speech patterns.

2)  She actually managed to lose weight and keep it off and not yo-yo.  If you can't keep it off, no judgement, but don't try to teach me about weight loss.

3)  She didn't have the unlimited funds for personal trainers, personal chefs, etc.

• Love 17
47 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

PLEASE NOTE: The golden note is not functioning right now. Some posts have been removed as they were discussing a post that had veered into politics. Please do not continue the discussion. Thank you. 

What is the golden note?

16 minutes ago, Thrifty said:

What is the golden note?

Before the upgrade, mods could post official stuff in yellow/gold so as to appear different from the gray posts. It was a visual way for mods to distinguish official posts vs participating in discussion. That is not functioning right now, so we are trying what we can to make those distinctions textually.

• Love 5
On 1/29/2018 at 9:28 AM, funky-rat said:

On another front, those Peloton commercials can go away any time now.  Especially the most recent one where the little kid is sitting on her trike flailing her legs.  UGH!

On 1/29/2018 at 5:31 PM, QuinnInND said:

You read my mind.  Hey, lady, how about you take your kid out so she can actually ride her trike. Instead of sitting there like an idiot. And the idiots on the screen you're watching or riding with or whatever. All that "come on ride harder" thing they do. Fuck off. 

I HATE HATE HATE the Peloton ads. They started to use that whole “give more” theme over the holidays and it pissed me off. “Screw your family and friends, devote more of your own time and money to yourself and your quest to be perfect.” It also irritates me that the kids always come into the room just as Mommy is finishing up her cycle time. I don’t even have kids and I know that’s BS—time, tide, and toddlers wait for no man (or Uber-fit woman).

ETA I just hopped over to another website, and on that site? The Panera ad with the new egg sandwich. I’m too internet savvy to think that was a coincidence...

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 8

AGAIN with the deceptive and totally FALSE Liberty Mutual ad that claims: "I didn't choose the wrong policy, I chose the wrong company".  This has been TOTALLY disproven again and again:  EVERY insurance company will insure your car for full replacement value, if you pay extra for that much coverage!  I HATE this!

• Love 19

Dear lady with the half bath in the Lowes commercial. You didn't need to redo the whole freaking bathroom. Just get rid of that stupid pedestal sink with a vanity. Problem solved. Ugh. 

3 hours ago, ivygirl said:

It also irritates me that the kids always come into the room just as Mommy is finishing up her cycle time. I don’t even have kids and I know that’s BS—time, tide, and toddlers wait for no man (or Uber-fit woman).

As a mother of 21 month old twins, I can attest to the truthfulness of this statement. 

• Love 9
17 hours ago, seasons said:

Oprah has throughout pretty much her entire career been a person I really can’t stand.  From her over-zealous cheerleading and applause pandering on her shows to her sanctimonious “Oprah’s Selections” recommendations for books and so forth I find her incredibly irritating.  She oozes this manufactured enthusiasm about every single thing she is involved in whether it’s an interview or a commercial.  Nothing she does is ever not super interesting and exciting and also profoundly moving and motivational.  She really bugs me.  Always has.

• Love 15
On 1/30/2018 at 10:18 AM, janie jones said:

The coaches on the monitors in the Peloton commercials annoy me, too.

I'm SO on board with the Peloton hate! Everything about those commercials annoys me. The smug coaches. The equally smug and sanctimonious "riders" in their impossibly perfect home who actually have dedicated space for their $2000 exercise bike. The smug announcer who warns us that "Robin is your instructor and she is not going to go easy on you!" Smug Robin. The smug brat flailing on her trike.

All that said, I really want a Peloton. I use the app on the spinning bike at my gym, and it would be good to have the ability to monitor my cadence and intensity. But I will say that there are certain instructors who I just avoid entirely because they are so full of themselves. Yes, Smug Robin, I mean you.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 10
22 hours ago, Brattinella said:

AGAIN with the deceptive and totally FALSE Liberty Mutual ad that claims: "I didn't choose the wrong policy, I chose the wrong company".  This has been TOTALLY disproven again and again:  EVERY insurance company will insure your car for full replacement value, if you pay extra for that much coverage!

True, but the agents at those other companies may be advising customers not to buy overpriced optional coverages, whereas LM agents will gladly have you paying far more in premiums than the extra amount you may eventually collect.

• Love 3
On 2/1/2018 at 8:40 PM, QuinnInND said:

Dear lady with the half bath in the Lowes commercial. You didn't need to redo the whole freaking bathroom. Just get rid of that stupid pedestal sink with a vanity. Problem solved. Ugh. 

On 2/1/2018 at 4:43 PM, ivygirl said:

It also irritates me that the kids always come into the room just as Mommy is finishing up her cycle time. I don’t even have kids and I know that’s BS—time, tide, and toddlers wait for no man (or Uber-fit woman).

As a mother of 21 month old twins, I can attest to the truthfulness of this statement. 

The combination of these statements reminded me of an ad I try to forget.  It is the one where mom is in the bathtub and dad pops in to tell her she just has to come see something, the reveal is that their toddler can now request football games on the tv.  So annoying.   She should ask "is anyone bleeding? no? then it can wait until after my bath!"

And while I am typing this, a new annoyance appears on the tv.  Audible just stop.  I like you, but your new commercial I hate.  Those successful people who read?  They read!

Edited by elle
  • Love 5
On 1/27/2018 at 10:19 AM, seasons said:

Quoting myself lol

Buick jumping on board with this theme...

I HATE those GMC commercials,  but this one doesn't really bother me. I think the difference is here all of the neighbors are coming up to her and asking her about her new SUV.  She's just answering their questions. In the GMC ads, the new car owner is actually going over to the neighbor and almost waiting for a reason to be smug and mention their new vehicle. 

• Love 1

Cindy Crawford and her 10 minute long infomercials for some type of face cream are driving me nuts. What is wrong with a simple 30 second commercial that can't get the point across? No, she's gotta invite her "friends" over for a "get-together" and talk about this magic melon that was discovered. I just want to get back to watching my shitty daytime television, Cindy, give it a rest!

• Love 13
1 hour ago, lachesis said:

Cindy Crawford and her 10 minute long infomercials for some type of face cream are driving me nuts. What is wrong with a simple 30 second commercial that can't get the point across? No, she's gotta invite her "friends" over for a "get-together" and talk about this magic melon that was discovered. I just want to get back to watching my shitty daytime television, Cindy, give it a rest!

Marie Osmond does the same shit. Hey, ad buyers you're doing a great job of getting me not to watch your shows.

• Love 7
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:39 PM, Ohwell said:

I went to Panera this morning and they had a big sign saying there was no cream cheese.  I was pissed because I had planned to get a bagel and cream cheese.  Then when I got home, I saw on tv that Panera just listed a recall of their cream cheese because of listeria.  I wonder how smug that annoying voiceover person will be in their next ad. 

This is my biggest problem with Panera.  They run out of stuff all the time. 

I realize the listeria is a specific reason for the cream cheese not being there, but many, may times what I wanted to get they just did not have

Like plain bagels.  You are a bread store that sells bagels.  How do you run out of plain bagels. 

ALso sandwhiches, breakfast items, many things. 

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I realize the listeria is a specific reason for the cream cheese not being there, but many, may times what I wanted to get they just did not have

Like plain bagels.  You are a bread store that sells bagels.  How do you run out of plain bagels. 

I go to my nearby Panera regularly and it always puzzles me when I see bakery items that clearly aren't selling because there's plenty of them always there, looking untouched.  Yet they've never figured it out to keep plenty of the obviously popular items like plain bagels (or in my case, the cinnamon raisin ones). 

I guess they haven't figured out the basic concept of supply and demand.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2

An entire class of commercial that really annoys me is the one where a white guy(s) (they are always white, and they are always guys) stares directly into the camera and earnestly tells me that the way I have been buying/companies have been making watches/beds/shirts/etc. is ALL WRONG. And they have devoted their entire twenty something life to correcting this OUTRAGEOUS situation. And they will revolutionize not just the bed/watch/shirt industry, they will revolutionize the way you view LIFE.

And there's an app. 

• Love 14

I just saw what I think is a new Trivago Guy ad.  Is that goof wearing some kind of jacket thing with the lapels unfolded flat so they point at each other across his chest?  If so...why??  I mean are they just intentionally doing these weird wardrobe things to make people go “wtf?”  And why do so many of the things have Trivago douche telling a little story about three or more different characters - “Dave found his room on a travel site.  Mike found his on a discount site...yadda blah blah” - and Trivago goof plays all the different roles (sporting different color sweaters so we know they’s different folks of course)?  I mean couldn’t Trivago afford to get a few actually different people to walk toward the camera and hold a smartphone up?  Do we really have to be treated to Trivago weirdo’s questionable acting skills and goofy mug all the time?

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, lachesis said:

I saw one of those years ago, and it introduced her gorgeous mother, which I thought was a hilarious mistake -- gee, do I think it's this magical melon being hawked responsible for Crawford's looks, or the luck of good genes?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Bad management.

• Love 3

Y'all are making me appreciate my Panera. I think it must be well run. One day a boy who must have been about 8 asked if he could have focaccia for his bread side. The man smiled and said - of course! Cracked me up a kid that young even knew what focaccia was, let alone ask for it.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 6

I know Panera is healthy/clean/whatever.  But lately, I also find it incredibly expensive for what it is.  I've actually never really cared for Panera, but a month or so ago  I decided to go get a half sandwich/soup combo. I do like their French onion soup.  So I ordered a cup of soup, half of Panini sandwich and a sweet tea, and the guy says it's something like $14 or $15.  I think my eyes just about popped out of my head. OK, so the sweet tea was probably two dollars, but I paid $13 for a small cup of soup and a half of a sandwich? What?!

• Love 6

I went to Dunkin‘ Donuts about two weeks ago and they didn’t have any...donuts.  Not a one.  And this was about ten o’clock in the morning.

Sorry, Sprint, but when the AI have personalities and start bagging on me about my phone plan, I’m going to remain happy with Verizon.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

I saw one of those years ago, and it introduced her gorgeous mother, which I thought was a hilarious mistake -- gee, do I think it's this magical melon being hawked responsible for Crawford's looks, or the luck of good genes?

I HATE the Meaningful Beauty commercials.  With a passion.  So sick of Dr. Sabagghhhhhuuugg and his "Rare Melon Extract".  Bleh.

14 hours ago, mojoween said:

I went to Dunkin‘ Donuts about two weeks ago and they didn’t have any...donuts.  Not a one.  And this was about ten o’clock in the morning.

Most DD Franchises no longer make their own donuts.  They're done regionally and trucked in, so the truck was probably late.

• Love 3

There's an America's Best commercial where the owl is talking to a cable guy, and at the end of the commercial, the owl tells the cable guy that the cable rates are too expensive.  The cable guy says it isn't his area, and the owl goes, "Really?"  Yes, really, owl, the person installing your cable is not the person who decides how much said cable costs.

• Love 13

I found some of the Superbowl ads particularly cloying.

There was that T-Mobile ad with all the babies while a voiceover made these vague statements about gender and racial equality.

And there was that Dodge commercial with the Martin Luther King Jr. speech dubbed over it. 

And the Budweiser commercial where they were showing them switching the production lines from beer to water just pissed me off.  It was so self-congratulatory.  They were like "Hey look.  We helped people.  Aren't we great?"  Helping people after a disaster is great, but have a damn modicum of humility.  Yeesh.

Edited by Thrifty
  • Love 8
On 1/28/2018 at 5:02 PM, Suzysite said:

How many times do I have to see that Hershey cookie layer bar woman drowning in hot lava??  They play that thing constantly.  Ugh.  It does not make me want to buy their product.  In fact it just grosses me out.

It just reminds me of that movie "Drag Me To Hell".

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Thrifty said:

I found some of the Superbowl ads particularly cloying.

There was that T-Mobile ad with all the babies while a voiceover made these vague statements about gender and racial equality.

And there was that Dodge commercial with the Martin Luther King Jr. speech dubbed over it. 

And the Budweiser commercial where they were showing them switching the production lines from beer to water just pissed me off.  It was so self-congratulatory.  They were like "Hey look.  We helped people.  Aren't we great?"  Helping people after a disaster is great, but have a damn modicum of humility.  Yeesh.

Dilly dilly!

• Love 4
On 2/2/2018 at 4:34 PM, mojoween said:

“Kraft: Family greatly”

No.

No.

NO.  You shut your foul mouth.  That is not in any way or universe a sentence!

Even prepared for its existence by your post, seeing the "ways to family" commercial yesterday caused me to scream, "Family is not a verb, morons!" at the TV.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, stillhere1900 said:

Why would that make them "stale: ?

Well, they don't taste as good, IMO.  They're made many hours in advance, and then have to be handled to be loaded, then unloaded, and then loaded in to the bins in the restaurant.  So to me, they're like day-old donuts, which aren't always fresh, and if they do have a run on donuts, they're out, and there will be no more because no one is making them onsite.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Qoass said:

Imagine if they'd just donated the money they spent on that Super Bowl ad to local charities in Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico...

Yes, and although they included  California in their ad, the U.S. Virgin Islands were again forgotten.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, janie jones said:

There's an America's Best commercial where the owl is talking to a cable guy, and at the end of the commercial, the owl tells the cable guy that the cable rates are too expensive.  The cable guy says it isn't his area, and the owl goes, "Really?"  Yes, really, owl, the person installing your cable is not the person who decides how much said cable costs.

Every single one of those America's Best ads are as annoying as hell.

• Love 3
On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 8:34 AM, Zevious Zoquis said:

Oprah has throughout pretty much her entire career been a person I really can’t stand.  From her over-zealous cheerleading and applause pandering on her shows to her sanctimonious “Oprah’s Selections” recommendations for books and so forth I find her incredibly irritating.  She oozes this manufactured enthusiasm about every single thing she is involved in whether it’s an interview or a commercial.  Nothing she does is ever not super interesting and exciting and also profoundly moving and motivational.  She really bugs me.  Always has.

I liked her back when she was on the local news in Baltimore.  Of course, she didn't really have the "OPRAH!!" thing down yet.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Even prepared for its existence by your post, seeing the "ways to family" commercial yesterday caused me to scream, "Family is not a verb, morons!" at the TV.

The regional Blue Cross ads have the slogan "Live Fearless" - needless to say much screaming at the tv happens when I see one.

• Love 4