Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm guessing they have clothes in their shop that are less than 20 years old as well. Vintage, retro, upcycled are 'classier' ways to say used. I mean I assume they have 'select' used clothing and not necessarily some of the ones found in a local Goodwill - but used none the less.

Yeah, a lot of smaller second-hand stores will be generous on the definition of vintage.  They will also use the word curate in their copy.  They are not selling just any old castoff in the way Goodwill or other charity shops do.  If anything, the proprietors of this establishment go to the larger stores and select the pieces they know they can resell for a profit.  It's not a bad business model to sort the wheat from the chaff and resell the good items.  Goodwill, et al. still get paid.  

I am a bit confused though as to why this store went with Jinger and Jeremy.  Their Instagram bio has "shop ethically, dress consciously, live sustainably."  I don't associate any of those adverbs with the Vuolos.  

• Like 3
  • Love 12
35 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I am a bit confused though as to why this store went with Jinger and Jeremy.  Their Instagram bio has "shop ethically, dress consciously, live sustainably."  I don't associate any of those adverbs with the Vuolos.  

Something tells me Jer would try to depict himself as all these things if he were in the company of somebody who respected these things!......

Just the way he obviously depicts himself as a super-conservative with MacArthur but as a modern guy with modern forward-thinking deas when he's showing off for the general public that knows him from tv, etc. .... 

I think JV is pretty well practiced at being different people for different audiences......Possibly because he doesn't actually stand for or believe in anything. He just craves attention and admiration from all. 

• Love 14
(edited)

Here's the shop owners' account of the storre, from his Yelp page -- No clue as to how he knows the Vuolos, but there are plenty of avenues, seems to me -- the church, the neighborhood, the fancy-shoe people that Jer knows. Etc. 

History

Established in 2015.

It all started as a Hobby of curating garments from the 90's and older, went from selling out of the trunk in high school, to selling at flea markets, in a pop up shop, and finally a store front. The owners and employees passion for high standards of individuality, quality, and reputation is what maintains this stores curation of inventory.

Meet the Business Owner

Business owner information

Souren O.

Business Owner

Souren Ohanian started curating garments as early as 14 years old, his business ventures began when he sold his clothes straight out of his trunk in high school. Later, what started as a pop-up shop on Ventura has now matured into a 1,200 square foot store offering a selection of curated garments from all over the world. The store features a mix of American, European, and Japanese second-hand clothing, along with a selection of other local curators, and designers that focus on the up cycling aspects of sustainable clothing.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/chance-vintage-studio-city#:~:text=Meet the Business Owner%3A Souren,his trunk in high school.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
57 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Yeah, a lot of smaller second-hand stores will be generous on the definition of vintage.  They will also use the word curate in their copy.  They are not selling just any old castoff in the way Goodwill or other charity shops do.  If anything, the proprietors of this establishment go to the larger stores and select the pieces they know they can resell for a profit.  It's not a bad business model to sort the wheat from the chaff and resell the good items.  Goodwill, et al. still get paid.  

WE have a place near us (which I guess is a chain) called Clothes Mentor. They buy used clothing but are very picky as to what they take. Things have to be current and name brand. I brought a bunch of stuff and they rejected almost all of it. TBH, I have been there several times in the last year and some of the stuff doesn't look that great. Maybe their requirements have slid? Or people aren't donating as much anymore, though the place is full. They do carry some pricey purses and jewelry that they keep stashed away. I'm usually in there looking for a new purse. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Friendly reminder that vintage just means any clothing/accessories more than 20 years old.  Any piece of clothing manufactured before 2002 is now considered vintage.  Vintage does not necessarily mean more expensive. Most of us on here have at least one item in our closet that is technically vintage.  I still have the hoodie I wore to death from 1999-2002.  It's vintage, but only worth about a buck.

I should have been clearer, I meant that when buying from a “vintage” store vs a 2nd hand store, items are almost always more expensive. The word “vintage” in advertising/labeling for sale usually means that to me. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Here's the shop owners' account of the storre, from his Yelp page -- No clue as to how he knows the Vuolos, but there are plenty of avenues, seems to me -- the church, the neighborhood, the fancy-shoe people that Jer knows. Etc. 

History

Established in 2015.

It all started as a Hobby of curating garments from the 90's and older, went from selling out of the trunk in high school, to selling at flea markets, in a pop up shop, and finally a store front. The owners and employees passion for high standards of individuality, quality, and reputation is what maintains this stores curation of inventory.

Meet the Business Owner

Business owner information

Souren O.

Business Owner

Souren Ohanian started curating garments as early as 14 years old, his business ventures began when he sold his clothes straight out of his trunk in high school. Later, what started as a pop-up shop on Ventura has now matured into a 1,200 square foot store offering a selection of curated garments from all over the world. The store features a mix of American, European, and Japanese second-hand clothing, along with a selection of other local curators, and designers that focus on the up cycling aspects of sustainable clothing.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/chance-vintage-studio-city#:~:text=Meet the Business Owner%3A Souren,his trunk in high school.

I knew this business would work the word curate into their copy.  It's inevitable.  What I did not expect was him using it and its variants in every other sentence.  Someone needs to give Mr. Ohanian a thesaurus.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

I can't imagine any serious business owner would want to invest with these two who couldn't even pretend to be interested in their own business for more than a month or two. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 12
(edited)
4 hours ago, YupItsMe said:

Maybe Jinger is investing in that store or buying into it to become a partner? Might be a good fit for her if so.

A fit how? Has Jinger ever expressed interest in retail management ? Or actual work of any kind? 

3 hours ago, Zella said:

I can't imagine any serious business owner would want to invest with these two who couldn't even pretend to be interested in their own business for more than a month or two. 

And there would be demonstrations of some kind in front of the store if she did. As she deserves, imo. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 8

I was surprised and not surprised that Jinger posted a father's day pic. At least it only said HFD not that he was the greatest.  She is still close to her mom so I am sure she wants to keep peace with JB so she can still see her mom.  Or maybe she is ok with her father even if her husband is not a fan.  

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, auntieminem said:

I was surprised and not surprised that Jinger posted a father's day pic. At least it only said HFD not that he was the greatest.  She is still close to her mom so I am sure she wants to keep peace with JB so she can still see her mom.  Or maybe she is ok with her father even if her husband is not a fan.  

Jinger could have posted a more recent picture, like Jeremy. She did the bare minimum to avoid backlash. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, auntieminem said:

Does JB even use SM? No need to publicly post anything at this point. She could call him.

• Like 2
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Does JB even use SM? No need to publicly post anything at this point. She could call him.

Jessa can't fuck-you internet, in a private phone call or visit.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

They're still operating on automatic pilot as Teevee stars. Posting stuff for their adoring audience......

And I guess the audience deserves the attention, really, since Jer owes his free degree and his job to them and Jingle, Jill, Joy (a bit, anyway) and Jessa get influencer dollars solely because of their fan numbers, since none of them are worth a damn as actual influencers. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

They're still operating on automatic pilot as Teevee stars. Posting stuff for their adoring audience......

And I guess the audience deserves the attention, really, since Jer owes his free degree and his job to them and Jingle, Jill, Joy (a bit, anyway) and Jessa, get influencer dollars solely because of their fan numbers, since none of them are worth a damn as actual influencers. 

And I think at least a few of them actually believe that they’ll back on TV again one day and that they have to stay prepared. Of course, there’s not a snowball’s chance, but hope stings eternal.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
53 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

And I think at least a few of them actually believe that they’ll back on TV again one day and that they have to stay prepared. Of course, there’s not a snowball’s chance, but hope stings eternal.

I think it's possible. TLC has zero morals, and if they thought they could make some $$$, I think they'd do another show.

The problem, really, is that they're all super-boring and have nothing in their lives except religion. TLC is all about people they perceive as "freaks" and there is nothing unusual about any of these people except for their status as #x of 19.

If one of them really did break away -- Jana, now an out and proud gay Unitarian, moves to NYC might warrant a special . . .

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, cmr2014 said:

If one of them really did break away -- Jana, now an out and proud gay Unitarian, moves to NYC might warrant a special . . .

I think that, luckily, it'd be about a million years before Jana (or any other Duggar that anybody in the public actually recognizes) did a thing like that...

• Sad 1

The pic of young Jinger reminds me of Ivy.

Also, considering what the Holts have shared, I feel like Boob was maybe more "normal" when they were younger (relatively speaking) - that is, before they became famous. There seemed to be a sense of Boob genuinely enjoying spending time with Jinger in that picture that probably was not as apparent now.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Is that Jessa wearing jeans? And Ben showing off his legs and smiling?

Am I dreaming? 

0512B31C-A7B1-49AF-B6AC-77E49A1F19E3.jpeg

Jessa would look so much better if she cut off 2 feet of hair! I’m hot just looking at her.

Jessa has been wearing pants for about two years now and Ben has always worn shorts.

• Useful 1
4 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Jana is wearing pants. Jenni is the only one wearing a dress. 

Jenni is still under Gothard's JB & Michelle's rules about girl's wearing pants. In a few years she'll get married and her husband may give her permission to wear pants.

• Sad 17
20 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Jana is wearing pants. Jenni is the only one wearing a dress. 

Oops. Well Jenni's dress is pretty nice. Jana's hair is long but it's been trimmed, so it looks much healthier than Jessa's mop.

• Like 3
  • Love 5

Poor Jennifer, stuck in that matronly dress.  It's sad she can't wear pants unless she lands a decent husband.

ETA:  Remember that Paine girl that had to marry the pervert convict?  I wonder if he lets her wear pants?

• Like 1
  • Sad 6
  • Useful 1
22 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

Poor Jennifer, stuck in that matronly dress.  It's sad she can't wear pants unless she lands a decent husband.

ETA:  Remember that Paine girl that had to marry the pervert convict?  I wonder if he lets her wear pants?

Tabby Paine dropped off the planet after she married the anal rapist. I still can't believe the Duggars threw them an engagement party. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Sad 9
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, graefin said:

Jeremy may let Jinger wear pants, but the real question is, will he let her wear anything that isn't Nike branded?

I can see Jinger taping artisanal donuts to her entire body for her rad homie 🤣 and wear Nike shoes 

Jeremy’s heads would explode 

• LOL 5
36 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I can see Jinger taping artisanal donuts to her entire body for her rad homie 🤣 and wear Nike shoes 

Jeremy’s heads would explode 

I see what you did there!  😂

• LOL 2
15 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Is that Jessa wearing jeans? And Ben showing off his legs and smiling?

Am I dreaming? 

0512B31C-A7B1-49AF-B6AC-77E49A1F19E3.jpeg

Jessa would look so much better if she cut off 2 feet of hair! I’m hot just looking at her.

Jessa’s hair is long but it looks styled for a casual day hanging out. 

Jenni still looks so unhappy. There’s nothing wrong with her dress per se, but it doesn’t fit, and she’s the only one not wearing sunglasses. (That’s probably why she’s squinting so). Was she given any pocket money to buy some? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 10
(edited)
58 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Jenni still looks so unhappy. There’s nothing wrong with her dress per se, but it doesn’t fit, and she’s the only one not wearing sunglasses. (That’s probably why she’s squinting so). Was she given any pocket money to buy some? 

Jana's hair looks good. 

Poor Jenni. Everyone looks so casual and comfortable in their tees, jeans and shorts and she is wearing kind of a "mature" dress or at least one for a more formal occasion. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Jana's hair looks good. 

Poor Jenni. Everyone looks so casual and comfortable in their tees, jeans and shorts and she is wearing kind of a "mature" dress or at least one for a more formal occasion. 

I don’t wear shorts, and I prefer dresses on super hot days, but that one 1. Doesn’t fit, 2. Is more of “day time event” type dress. But if Jenni chose it and liked it, adolescence is the time to try out a bunch of different styles. 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t wear shorts, and I prefer dresses on super hot days, but that one 1. Doesn’t fit, 2. Is more of “day time event” type dress. But if Jenni chose it and liked it, adolescence is the time to try out a bunch of different styles. 

I wear dresses a lot in the summer (especially to work) but usually ones that are nice and airy. I currently have a striped tank dress and as the building is cool at work, I have a light button down shirt as a "jacket". It is going to be 100 today so it was a given to wear. 

I guess the others look "sporty" but if she likes it, she likes it. However, I do question if she actually went and bought it or if it was hanging in they communal closet? 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I wear dresses a lot in the summer (especially to work) but usually ones that are nice and airy. I currently have a striped tank dress and as the building is cool at work, I have a light button down shirt as a "jacket". It is going to be 100 today so it was a given to wear. 

I guess the others look "sporty" but if she likes it, she likes it. However, I do question if she actually went and bought it or if it was hanging in they communal closet? 

Taking my response to the “Other Duggars” thread. 

• Love 1

Perhaps I'm crazy, but Jennifer's dress looks like the same kind of cotton knit dress the kids wear to school.  Perhaps in a more satiny fabric it would be dressy.  They aren't fitted and are a bit sack-like.  They definitely don't have a defined waist.  

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I think the only reason Jenni went on that trip is to babysit all the kids so the others can go out and enjoy themselves. So sad for Jenni all the way around. She looks so ill-dressed in that photo.

• Sad 17
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I think the only reason Jenni went on that trip is to babysit all the kids so the others can go out and enjoy themselves. So sad for Jenni all the way around. She looks so ill-dressed in that photo.

I think that is the reason, but it’s possible she had fun anyway. Sometimes just getting out of the house and going somewhere new is exciting.  I remember being a teen and being paid to tag along to look after the little kids, it was a positive experience for me. 

• Like 2
  • Love 11
(edited)
23 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Some pics of Benessa, Jana, and Jenni visiting Jinger. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfCoa6nPbJt/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

In the video where they’re all playing some card game I noticed that Ben wasn’t sitting next to Jessa.I know that’s not unusual but only Jana was in between them, so they could’ve sat together if they wanted to. 

17 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Tabby Paine dropped off the planet after she married the anal rapist. I still can't believe the Duggars threw them an engagement party. 

The Duggars and their kind all stick together.

5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Pocket money? Haha I can just imagine JB telling Jenny if she wants anything ask her sisters.

2 hours ago, floridamom said:

There was a video of Jenny in the line for the rollercoaster, so I don’t think she was just there to watch the kids.
2A981961-E946-48F7-B243-F8C75DEDAC28.thumb.jpeg.41b92c91dc355021af682bdd5c942dd4.jpeg
9D979F30-1AEC-4B7A-BB0F-98AF78902338.thumb.jpeg.7da39121dd258bf8bdbd9ed508a6bd7f.jpeg

Edited by FizzyPuff
  • Like 1
(edited)

They seem to be having fun.  I wonder who watched the Seewalds' kids, because Jessa doesn't strike me as the type to leave her kids with just anyone.  

Edited by Adeejay
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

They seem to be having fun.  I wonder who watched the Seewalds' kids, because Jessa doesn't strike me as the type to leave her kids with just anyone.  

They apparently took Fern with them (observed at the conference), but where they left the others is a mystery. Two of the prime babysitters were on the CA trip. That leaves Hannie because Josie is just too young. And Meech is useless.

They probably took them to Guinn's. 

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1