Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

On 5/20/2022 at 7:52 PM, madpsych78 said:

Yeah, but how much did they actually get in royalties from those books?

Not a lot of people sell enough to get royalties these days. But I'm sure they got a reasonable advance on each book. 

They'll only get royalties if the books sell enough to cover their advance....and then sell more. So if the books keep selling, they'll get royalties down the line..... But if I were the Vuolos, I wouldn't bank on it!    Those books don't look like perennial strong sellers to me -- especially since their tv presence is gone....

• Love 8
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

Not on a Roth IRA! Though I imagine the taxes on it when you contribute rules it out for this bunch.

Yeah, I expect JB's accountants and lawyers counsel that both kinds of IRAs are to be avoided! 

Find some other way that might give you NO tax liability EVER! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 4
(edited)
On 5/23/2022 at 10:35 AM, MaryAnneSpier said:

Thanks for sharing this. I watched the entire thing... longest three hours of my life. No wait, it was only twelve minutes...

Jeremy says LA hasn't been good for their diet. I don't know who "they" are, because he certainly hasn't included Jinger in that statement. 

It may be nitpicky, but what pissed me off the most in his video is that he dooesn't conclude with any sort of thanks to anyone. He doesn't thank the fans for their encouragement, he doesn't give any acknowledgement to mentors along the way, he can't even say a "thank you for your prayers during my time in seminary". 

Hey Jeremy, I lived in San Francisco during grad school and there was certainly amazing food at every turn. I didn’t get to eat too much of it since I didn’t have much extra $$ because I was paying for school, rent, utilities, transportation etc. 

On 5/23/2022 at 10:35 AM, MaryAnneSpier said:

Thanks for sharing this. I watched the entire thing... longest three hours of my life. No wait, it was only twelve minutes...

Jeremy says LA hasn't been good for their diet. I don't know who "they" are, because he certainly hasn't included Jinger in that statement. 

It may be nitpicky, but what pissed me off the most in his video is that he dooesn't conclude with any sort of thanks to anyone. He doesn't thank the fans for their encouragement, he doesn't give any acknowledgement to mentors along the way, he can't even say a "thank you for your prayers during my time in seminary". 

Or a thank you to whomever gave and continues to give him and his family a free house to live in while he was in school. They would be one of the first people  I thanked!

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 20

Thank you, @Churchhoney.  I didn't realize Jeremy's raging egomania was there all along.

I wonder what the world must look like to someone like Jeremy, who walks around thinking he is vastly superior to everyone he meets and expecting that people are going to clamor to throw free stuff his way because he is, after all, Jeremy Vuolo.  I wonder why his momma hasn't knocked him down a few pegs but maybe Jeremy's dad has a similar personality and she's just used to it.  Of course, Jinger knows nothing else.  And so far whatever he's doing seems to be working.

I'm sure he knows deep down that he hitched his wagon to Jinger's minor celebrity and now is spending all his time doubling-down on the fact that HE is actually the star, and she is fortunate that he chose her to take along on his rocket-ride to fame.  But he's not a Kardashian, he can't be famous for doing nothing, and if it ever comes to it I hope he's not above getting a real job to support his family.

Also, people with egos this enormous tend to push boundaries because they think they'll never have to face the consequences.  I can see several outcomes for someone like Jeremy, none of them good.

• Love 20

I'm not fan of Jeremy. I find him swarmy and condescending - no better or worse than Derrick. Both only a couple of rings above JB in my most humble opinion. But I also just watched that video and I think the context has been skewed a bit here.

It wasn't a "I couldn't have done without me" post. In fact he starts out the video by saying that he isn't finished with school and that it felt weird to graduate even though he still had many papers due - because he's in the program that extends past this point. So it was not like the final cap - or the pinnacle of achievement  -  like Derrick. 

His video was sharing lessons/reflections learned so far from his teachers and peers at seminary. If I believed him, they are good lessons to share.

#1  Holistic Living - there is value in simplicity and taking a holistic lens to Christian life. He is sort of rejecting the idea of pulpit elitism and a "holier than thou" mindset as he sees the glory of God in all aspects of life - enjoying the simple mundane gifts as well as how God walks through human trials...  He does mention Jinger in this section

#2 Theological generosity  - you realize while in seminary how much you actually don't know. He's been humbled and broken and has been taught that he has a long way to go. (this I agree with!). And in recognizing that he is trying to extend that same grace with others by recognizing that everyone is on their own journey. Looking for grace and generosity in other views vs. criticizing them.

#3 Sola Scriptura - not teaching opinion. Not offering his interpretative lens. Instead he seeks to let the scripture speak its own truth. Leave opinion out of the pulpit. Appreciating diversity and different convictions. His (the preachers) way should not matter. 

#4 Christ is All -  a theme throughout every class. The lesson was applied during the graduation too. He told a story about DJ, who was a man in his 60s who was struggling with his health during seminary studies alongside them. DJ walked across the stage at graduation- and passed out - and died! The message -  DJ was living undistracted and was set on serving the Lord and letting the Lord lead (and abandoning his previous job as a professor). DJ said Christ was tracking him down and was responsible for everything in life (and now death). 

So really the whole video is actually not about Jeremy and how he graduated. It would have been weird to thank people since the journey of learning he says is  not his accomplishment -  but rather these are all just  lessons from Christ. He is still learning.

I don't believe Jeremy. I find him fake. Not genuine and a mouthpiece. If he does believe what he said (fairly eloquently TBH) it would be a nice thing. I hope seminary does indeed break him down some more.

• Useful 7
  • Love 5
On 5/18/2022 at 6:10 PM, Absolom said:

I'm not saying they film for 80 hours to get an episode.  It takes a lot more time than just the filming.  Figure it takes a minimum of three to four times as long to get all the preliminaries done and the retakes as what we see on TV.  As you say the Vuolos are usually not an entire episode so they would have less time expenditure.  

On 5/18/2022 at 6:10 PM, Absolom said:

I'm not saying they film for 80 hours to get an episode.  It takes a lot more time than just the filming.  Figure it takes a minimum of three to four times as long to get all the preliminaries done and the retakes as what we see on TV.  As you say the Vuolos are usually not an entire episode so they would have less time expenditure.  

I remember reading the book that the Duggar girls “wrote”.  Someone asked Jana the question of how could she stand being filmed all day, every day.

She answered that they were only filmed 3 to 4 days per week for 3 to 4 hours per day.

And that was during their 19 KAC heyday of lots of episodes per season.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Absolom said:

That was the Jim Bob Duggar party line he put out.

I think that for a long time, everything the kids said or "wrote," was 100% the JB party line.

He lost his iron control over the adult/married kids bit by bit (exception to the "bit by bit": the blowup with the Dillards). However, most of them still haven't deviated much from the JB party line - ignoring fashion choices which IMO aren't as big a deal as some people think.

But IMO Josh's trial, conviction, and sentencing moved some of them farther away from the party line, at least on that subject. 

OTOH JB will always have Jessa and Jana, who will forever be dependable parrots for whatever he wants them to say. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
23 minutes ago, Absolom said:

That was the Jim Bob Duggar party line he put out.

I think that's the standard response anyone who films on reality shows gives.  The Bravo Housewives would give the same response.  Filming is supposed to be effortless where the cameras "just happen" to be there filming scenes that "just naturally" happen in their lives.  They leave out the fact that a single dinner may last 6+ hours with the crew requesting the subjects to repeat their conversations so they can get another angle.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I think that's the standard response anyone who films on reality shows gives.  The Bravo Housewives would give the same response.  Filming is supposed to be effortless where the cameras "just happen" to be there filming scenes that "just naturally" happen in their lives.  They leave out the fact that a single dinner may last 6+ hours with the crew requesting the subjects to repeat their conversations so they can get another angle.  

I think that's true now, but the early years of 19 kids were very boring and dull. I think they really did just kind of follow them along at home and ask a kid a question here and there. I think most of the work went into editing whatever they got on film and then maybe doing a couple short THs with JB & M that matched the footage. It did eventually change though.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I think that's true now, but the early years of 19 kids were very boring and dull. I think they really did just kind of follow them along at home and ask a kid a question here and there. I think most of the work went into editing whatever they got on film and then maybe doing a couple short THs with JB & M that matched the footage. It did eventually change though.

In the early years, Boobchelle went to San Francisco. They had an IBLP speaking engagement in the Valley (Modesto, IIRC, it's been almost 15 years). They went to a head shop, and Boob marveled over the pipes and other paraphernalia. 😂 They bought a boho skirt for Joy.

• LOL 8
20 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

You forgot to mention that the later years of 19K&C were also very boring -- also, Counting On was also very boring. . .

My personal opinion is that the shows were less scripted than some "reality" shows simply because the bar was set very low. The producers weren't really trying to gin up conflict, and I think they used the TH's to try to goad the kids into saying "cute" things.

The days were probably very long with setup and marking, etc., but they may have only filmed for a few hours. Since no one had anywhere to go, or anything to do, anyway, it probably wasn't that time consuming for the kids.

• Love 16
19 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

In the early years, Boobchelle went to San Francisco. They had an IBLP speaking engagement in the Valley (Modesto, IIRC, it's been almost 15 years). They went to a head shop, and Boob marveled over the pipes and other paraphernalia. 😂 They bought a boho skirt for Joy.

This sounds like the stuff of legend.  Cannot believe I've never heard about this before!

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

It was probably the funniest episode ever in all the years of that show. 

It was certainly the oddest episode.  I was surprised at the time that JB and Mech would not only go along with this, but actually allow it to be aired.  They really came off as bumpkins.  And, yes, I do think JB knew what was going on, and that he had some pull with what was shown on the show.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, BetyBee said:

I wonder if Jinger "loves" kicks because Jeremy loves kicks, the same way she "loves" books?

I think Jinger just loves having her own new unworn shoes that do not come from a thrift store.  I don't begrudge her any new clothing, shoes, or possessions of her own, since she was denied these things growing up.  I do not appreciate flaunting them on social media, however.

• Love 14
17 minutes ago, YupItsMe said:

She paid for “custom” shoes and they’re still just white? Or did I miss the final product?

I'm not sure where in the production process the shoes were in when they were on that machine. Maybe they were going to stitch Jesus Rocks! on them. 😁

• LOL 11
(edited)
5 hours ago, YupItsMe said:

She paid for “custom” shoes and they’re still just white? Or did I miss the final product?

I had the same question! Like, they're just white shoes, homie! You can buy them anywhere. 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 6
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 4/24/2022 at 10:26 PM, emmawoodhouse said:
On 4/25/2022 at 3:08 AM, Zella said:

I love that Jinger's picture of "family time" is Jeremy just staring down at the ground by himself in a really obvious pose that they probably went through countless attempts at before getting just the right one for Instagram. LMAO 

I thought it was his renewed attempt to get some modeling gigs. For the Gently Aging Metrosexual.

On 4/25/2022 at 10:53 AM, iwantcookies said:

Jeremy Dyson-Vuolo 🤣

I was thinking Shark.

On 4/26/2022 at 12:57 PM, Zella said:

This should go on the family crest! 

In every thread title. We Appear Disingenuous. Because We Are. (With the exception maybe of Joy?)

On 4/26/2022 at 8:33 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

Looks like a giant uterus behind him. 😂

https://www.instagram.com/p/CczV7k4uiNx/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Forgot the link. Oopsie!

Surprised to see him quoting CS Lewis. Lewis is sooooo much clearer and more logical a thinker than Rev Fancy Pants ever could dream of being.

Edited by LilJen
  • Like 1
  • Love 8
(edited)
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Well, if this thread ever needs a new title, we have it: Jinger and the Gently Aging Metrosexual Homie: We Appear Disingenuous Because We Are.  Also, Shoes.  And Some Kids.

haha - I think you just described Jer as a news guy on our local channel. Last night guy, who is at least mid 40s, is on tv in a blue button down shirt, with a white hoodie over that and then a sport coat over that with the sleeves too short and the hoodie sleeves sticking out. The whole time he was yammering about whatever, I was thinking hey that's a look for Jeremy to try. I am sure a full screen shot would have showed the guy was wearing expensive sneakers.

Edited by crazy8s
  • LOL 16

Diabetes here I come 

-Jeremy Vuolo  smacking his lips after devoting a days worth of calories in 1meal

Hope Jingle and the kids at least got a bite or 2 each . 

At least he is getting well fed daily.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

I’m sure he bought the super pricey “gourmet “ donuts. I doubt Jinger ate any. 

What is it with him and the elaborate doughnuts? That stupid face he pulled trying the blueberry Earl Grey doughnut when he was trying to get a Fonuts sponsorship from a couple of years ago still lives rent-free in my head. 

• Hugs 1
  • LOL 13
25 minutes ago, Zella said:

What is it with him and the elaborate doughnuts? That stupid face he pulled trying the blueberry Earl Grey doughnut when he was trying to get a Fonuts sponsorship from a couple of years ago still lives rent-free in my head. 

I was going to respond with the laughing face emoji but decided the ongoing trauma you describe here deserved the teddy bear, instead.

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I was going to respond with the laughing face emoji but decided the ongoing trauma you describe here deserved the teddy bear, instead.

Thank you! I'll just be going about my day, doing Zella things, and out of nowhere, it pops up to haunt me from my mind's eye! LOL 

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Well, we can be thankful that the Fonuts gig was short-lived. 😂

As well as the ruggables, handbags, sunglasses, and everything else that went poof after an ad or two. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
  • Love 4
On 6/3/2022 at 7:41 PM, Zella said:

That stupid face he pulled trying the blueberry Earl Grey doughnut when he was trying to get a Fonuts sponsorship from a couple of years ago still lives rent-free in my head. 

I don’t remember that face, but a blueberry Earl Grey donut sounds really amazing. 

• Love 1
On 6/3/2022 at 5:41 PM, Zella said:

While he is a tool, I can't hate on someone who has a love for donuts.  I am pretty sure I make the same face.  HA!!!!!  Blueberry donuts are my favorite.  But then again, I think they all end up on my favorite list.

• LOL 2
Just now, Natalie68 said:

While he is a tool, I can't hate on someone who has a love for donuts.  I am pretty sure I make the same face.  HA!!!!!  Blueberry donuts are my favorite.  But then again, I think they all end up on my favorite list.

It was the Early Grey flavor of the doughnuts that got me. I hate bergamot with all my soul. My inner tyrant wants to banish it from the face of the earth. 😂

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Zella said:

It was the Early Grey flavor of the doughnuts that got me. I hate bergamot with all my soul. My inner tyrant wants to banish it from the face of the earth. 😂

I would say "them's fighting words," but I realize I want to do the same with cilantro.  Almost all of my favorite perfumes have bergamot listed in the notes.  It's not the main note, but I need it to be there to round out the composition.  And, I will fight to the death to preserve my pretties.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I would say "them's fighting words," but I realize I want to do the same with cilantro.  Almost all of my favorite perfumes have bergamot listed in the notes.  It's not the main note, but I need it to be there to round out the composition.  And, I will fight to the death to preserve my pretties.

Unfortunately this may require war if we become rival tyrants because I'm pretty entrenched in my bergamot hate. 😂*

I don't have a problem with cilantro, but it's not one of my favorites. 

I wish I could find that picture of Jeremy eating the doughnut. I think it was deleted from his Instagram, so I find people talking about when it happened but no preservation of his face. Maybe the world is a better place for this. 

*War can perhaps be averted if you just want it in perfume and not tea. I don't wear perfume and am pretty sensitive to some of them if other people are wearing them, but I don't think I have a sensitivity to that as a fragrance. Just the taste. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yeah I am not sure I would like that.  Blueberry by itself is dreamy.  There is a place in Paso Robles that makes THE BEST blueberry donut.

• Like 2
  • Love 2