Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

I'm not saying they film for 80 hours to get an episode.  It takes a lot more time than just the filming.  Figure it takes a minimum of three to four times as long to get all the preliminaries done and the retakes as what we see on TV.  As you say the Vuolos are usually not an entire episode so they would have less time expenditure.  

• Love 1

Whaddaya know? I was just leafing through the May 2022 edition of Book Page, the magazine I picked up in the library, and this was one of the books featured:

https://www.amazon.com/Shine-Bright-Personal-History-Black/dp/0593132718/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1384KW3GTD3JZ&keywords=danyel+smith&qid=1652925745&sprefix=danyel+smith%2Caps%2C58&sr=8-1

Shine Bright: A Very Personal History of Black Women in Pop Hardcover – April 19, 2022

by Danyel Smith.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Okay, yes I remember this. To me it reinforces what they all believe. I thought they were out and about in the community trying to interfere with others' rights.

They can sign whatever they want and preach whatever they want as long as its amongst themselves. I disagree with what a lot of mainstream churches believe and teach too. I just can't drum up a lot of hate for what folks do in the privacy of their home or their house of worship. To each their own.

Start spewing, spouting and hating publicly, then I have a problem.

Exactly. That’s what many of their ilk don’t seem to understand. Most of us don’t care what anyone else does as long as it doesn’t take away from others’ rights. 

• Love 14
5 hours ago, Zella said:

He seems pretty cagey about it. LOL

At one point, he says his preaching is volunteer, but then he says this magnificence of vagueness: “Since moving to California, because I've taken on a different role with, you know, where I'm not pastoring full time - an assistant job isn't like, you know, great pay or whatever."

I can't tell if he's insinuating he has some sort of stipend that is much less than he made in Texas or if he's just blabbering and literally makes no money.

He then says that they make very little from the show, about $2-3,000 per episode. He makes a weird comparison to working for McDonald's in relation to it that I really don't understand. 

But yes reading between the lines, it does seem like Jinger is the one who brings home the bacon. Or the majority of the bacon. 

He sure made a good business decision when he decided to marry Jinger. Sounds like he’d be destitute without her, lol.

2 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

Whaddaya know? I was just leafing through the May 2022 edition of Book Page, the magazine I picked up in the library, and this was one of the books featured:

https://www.amazon.com/Shine-Bright-Personal-History-Black/dp/0593132718/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1384KW3GTD3JZ&keywords=danyel+smith&qid=1652925745&sprefix=danyel+smith%2Caps%2C58&sr=8-1

Shine Bright: A Very Personal History of Black Women in Pop Hardcover – April 19, 2022

by Danyel Smith.

How does this relate to their depositions?

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I see nothing wrong with Gabby, Jinger or Jill being the bread winners as I think we have moved past that as a society. I do have a problem if the bulk of the money is always spent on the husband chasing dreams though. Or the husband is taking credit for income they don't have or like in Derick's case, implying he went to school for free.

It all doesn't seem to jibe with their belief system though.

• Love 11
10 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Birds of a feather flock together aka 

Jeremy and Cade are the same. Mooching off their wives fame and $. 

While making sure they're wearing the latest fresh hot kicks and posing with the "this little lady is MINE" hand-on-elbow thing and smiling through gritted teeth and desperately trying to stay more relevant than their womenfolk.

• Love 13

I don't know anything about how monetized SM works, but how is it possible that Jinger actually made about 3x more than what Jessa made and 10x more than what Jill made in the same time period?

Does anyone think this is accurate given what we know about their SM activity? It would seem to me that Jessa and Jill were at least as active, if not more active, than Jinger was, Jessa has twice as many Insta followers as Jinger, and also has her YouTube channel where she posts relatively prolifically. Was Jinger just shilling that many more products (or more successful at doing so)? I find this puzzling.

• Love 11
23 minutes ago, graefin said:

I don't know anything about how monetized SM works, but how is it possible that Jinger actually made about 3x more than what Jessa made and 10x more than what Jill made in the same time period?

Does anyone think this is accurate given what we know about their SM activity? It would seem to me that Jessa and Jill were at least as active, if not more active, than Jinger was, Jessa has twice as many Insta followers as Jinger, and also has her YouTube channel where she posts relatively prolifically. Was Jinger just shilling that many more products (or more successful at doing so)? I find this puzzling.

Jinger mentions that she was working with an agency of some kind. It wouldn't surprise me at all if working with a reputable agency and having a clear plan made a huge difference in compensation. The agency can negotiate better rates, and Jinger states that she makes x number of posts per month while the rest of them just haphazardly put out ridiculous posts.

• Useful 7
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, cmr2014 said:

Jinger mentions that she was working with an agency of some kind. It wouldn't surprise me at all if working with a reputable agency and having a clear plan made a huge difference in compensation. The agency can negotiate better rates, and Jinger states that she makes x number of posts per month while the rest of them just haphazardly put out ridiculous posts.

That makes sense. And also - Jinger may have just pulled a number out of her head when asked the question.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

He sure made a good business decision when he decided to marry Jinger. Sounds like he’d be destitute without her, lol.

How does this relate to their depositions?

It relates to the criticism of their book title. When I searched by the title instead of author name there were three books by the same name, using "bright" as an adverb.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I see nothing wrong with Gabby, Jinger or Jill being the bread winners as I think we have moved past that as a society. I do have a problem if the bulk of the money is always spent on the husband chasing dreams though. Or the husband is taking credit for income they don't have or like in Derick's case, implying he went to school for free.

It all doesn't seem to jibe with their belief system though.

What I see wrong is that Jeremy is controlling the family finances when he isn’t contributing much $. What kind of a headship is he if he is not bringing home $?

His little woman knows her place while being the one with $. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 8

I read the largest passive income is if an influencer can get their followers to join/buy an ongoing subscription. Something like those beauty boxes folks get every month. The influencer gets a kick back each month, sometimes for years.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
47 minutes ago, graefin said:

Also, as we've discussed on their respective threads, they just don't really seem to get the point of the sponsorships.

Joy mentions something like sometimes she's "just dropped," as if there's no imaginable explanation.

I think that in their minds, the only reason they would be dropped because their "image isn't a good fit" is because of the release of the InTouch article. It doesn't even cross their minds that companies don't want to be associated with bigots and cult members.

It also doesn't seem to occur to them that they might be dropped because they just suck at it. Jill puts on her Citrus & Lemon clothes, takes a photo of herself squinting into the sun, and then takes them off. We don't ever see Jill living the life of a young wife/mother in her modest, yet stylish and comfortable C&L clothes. Joy puts on ridiculous fake eyelashes, takes a photo, and then takes them off. She could be posting about all kinds of items that actually fit her lifestyle (children's clothes, camping gear, etc.), but instead she posts about something that is so far out of her comfort zone that she can't even pretend that she'll ever put them on again.

I'm sure, though, that whenever they lose a sponsorship, JB rages about how much they are discriminated against because they're Christian, and how they're losing their incomes because of InTouch (not Josh).

• Useful 2
  • Love 16
20 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Okay, yes I remember this. To me it reinforces what they all believe. I thought they were out and about in the community trying to interfere with others' rights.

They can sign whatever they want and preach whatever they want as long as its amongst themselves. I disagree with what a lot of mainstream churches believe and teach too. I just can't drum up a lot of hate for what folks do in the privacy of their home or their house of worship. To each their own.

To me this is out and about trying to interfere with other's rights. They're using their position as community leaders to advocate for something that harms others. The fact that they don't specifically state "vote xyz" doesn't change that. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, questionfear said:

To me this is out and about trying to interfere with other's rights. They're using their position as community leaders to advocate for something that harms others. The fact that they don't specifically state "vote xyz" doesn't change that. 

I get that. 

I have know idea how some of my friends vote. I have know idea what some of my Catholic, et al, friends believe. For me personally there is a line that needs to be crossed. I just don't hate everyone that believes different than me. And actually I've met a few assholes who have similar beliefs to mine, but I don't like them.

But like I said, I get that others feel different.

On these boards if we go by beliefs alone, then it seems to me all the Duggars would be hated equally and that doesn't seem to be the case, so I'm thinking we all have different tolerances of different things.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I get that. 

I have know idea how some of my friends vote. I have know idea what some of my Catholic, et al, friends believe. For me personally there is a line that needs to be crossed. I just don't hate everyone that believes different than me. And actually I've met a few assholes who have similar beliefs to mine, but I don't like them.

But like I said, I get that others feel different.

On these boards if we go by beliefs alone, then it seems to me all the Duggars would be hated equally and that doesn't seem to be the case, so I'm thinking we all have different tolerances of different things.

It depends. In an ideal world, no one would be homophobic or racist or transphobic. But if we're breaking down layers of acceptability, JinJer drop considerably for me because of things like that resolution that Jeremy signed, because they're using whatever D-list celebrity they have to promote hatred. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, questionfear said:

It depends. In an ideal world, no one would be homophobic or racist or transphobic. But if we're breaking down layers of acceptability, JinJer drop considerably for me because of things like that resolution that Jeremy signed, because they're using whatever D-list celebrity they have to promote hatred. 

From what I understand the statement that was signed wasn't used in a public way to promote hate.

It seems to me, every Duggar and Duggar adjacent have freely shared their hateful beliefs in passive ways, so for me this is no different.

But it also seems many posters feel the same way you do.

4 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

I wonder what kind of retirement vision/plan these influencer people have. Do they contribute to Social Security? An IRA? 

That's a complicated tax question.

Most influencer income is reported on Schedule C, which is subject to self-employment tax - aka, a contribution to Social Security/Medicare. Some influencer income, however, is reported on Schedule E, which is typically not subject to self-employment tax. 

Jinger and Jeremy presumably have an accountant to keep that all straight.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

It relates to the criticism of their book title. When I searched by the title instead of author name there were three books by the same name, using "bright" as an adverb.

Yes, you can find questionable grammar everywhere. I have many, many examples but that’s a whole other conversation that is off topic here.

Edited by Cinnabon
On 5/19/2022 at 11:22 AM, iwantcookies said:

Jinger wrote a book. Jessa and Jill didn’t. That was a nice chunk of change for Jinger.

Yeah, but how much did they actually get in royalties from those books?

(edited)
3 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Yeah, but how much did they actually get in royalties from those books?

They said that at the time of the depositions that they hadn't received any royalties. And given the downward trajectory of sales, they may not have ever received any.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Maybe no royalties, but they were no doubt given an initial payment for writing the book.

That initial payment is royalties - it's an advance on royalties. Writers can receive additional payments if and when a book earns out - that is, the royalty amounts match the advance payments. 

Given that this was Jinger and Jeremy's first book, and that Growing Up Duggar was heavily remaindered, it's quite possible that they didn't receive any payments until either the manuscript was delivered, or until they, the ghostwriter and production staff agreed on final edits and scheduled the book to print.  In addition, Hachette Books typically divides a so-called advance into several payments, some of which are not scheduled to paid until the book is put into production and/or shipped to vendors - and more recently, until six months after vendor shipment. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 4
(edited)

The ghostwriter, Bethany Mauger, is credited on the book's title page so she was compensated. Mauger also worked with Cyntoia Brown on her autobiography and Diane Latiker (works with at risk youth in Chicago) on her book.  Each have different publishers so she looks to be a freelance ghostwriter.

Edited by birkenstock
  • Useful 6
2 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Meanwhile, what does the ghostwriter get (if anything)?

Ghostwriters are contractors, so they get paid their negotiated fees either upfront or when the manuscript is completed.  I believe they get paid by the publisher for their services.  I also want to say that ghostwriters do not get paid out any royalties after the fact.  Very few books earn out their advance especially the celebrity memoir where ghostwriting is common.  If a book does become a sustained success, it is not because of the work the ghostwriter did.  It is because of other factors including the face of the book doing the heavy lifting of marketing.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

It depends upon the book and the ghostwriter, but since Bethany Mauger is credited on the title page, she almost certainly is on the same advance fee schedule that the Vuolos are and should be receiving royalty payments if the book earns out.

2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

If a book does become a sustained success, it is not because of the work the ghostwriter did.  It is because of other factors including the face of the book doing the heavy lifting of marketing.  

Initial sales, sure. But celebrities usually only spend a week or so marketing any given book, if that. Any sustained success - that is, earning out and earning royalty payments - typically comes from word of mouth, which I think has at least as much to do with the ghostwriter creating words that people enjoyed reading. 

I am not expecting The Hope We Hold to be a sustained, long term success, for the record, although the Amazon sales rankings suggest the book is still selling a few copies each day. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Derick's mom Cathy pushes her own book on IG fairly often. Maybe like every 5th or 6th post is her book. I have know idea how many copies she has sold.

Didn't she self-publish? Or did she find a  Christian publisher? I don't recall.

(edited)
On 5/18/2022 at 5:58 PM, GeeGolly said:

The thing is, though, they DID spew, spout and hate publicly. The petition was made very very public. But -- it only was able to become as public as a bunch of private citizens can make a statement about ethics and morality without help from the media. 

It was fully intended to be a very public reprimand and warning to every CHristian in the nation who didn't go along with their condemnation of any and all social-justice type activity as an actual damnable personal affront to God. (that clearly was intended to call out many Black church leaders, for example) And MacArthur and his gang did everything they possibly could to disseminate and publicize the petition far and wide. 

There were press releases and a very prominent website and lots of talking it up by the leaders of the plan. They got hundreds of the most major Protestant voices they could find to publicly sign it and pass the word.  There are multiple youtube videos with MacArthur and others talking it up. Many of them talked about it in giant conference centers. In no way was it put it out there as private conversation. 

The originators very much wanted it to become a major rallying point for right-minded Christians nationwide. To that end, they solicited as many signatures as they could get from the most influential people they could find. And thousands of influential Christians did sign it -- publicly on the website (which they tried to thoroughly publicize). 

The only reasons  that it didn't BECOME much of a publicly heard issue is that the media didn't report much on it.  It didn't come equipped with gun-toting pastors or a groundswell of public marching etc. And, it was mostly written in kind of stuffy MacArthur-ish language.   

So it made a faint splash with a small amount of mainstream media coverage. 

Nothing bleeding. No funny costumes.

It was merely a very intense statement from a very large group of religious leaders calling any and all activity aimed at calling out social-justice problems and striving to fix them or even asking for them to be addressed as a direct and very serious sin against God himself. (not exacggerating -- that's exactly what it says)  I consider that a big deal, and I think a lot of people would if they actually heard about it. 

But it's not the kind of thing that "bleeds and leads" the media. It's a mere IDEA, which media doesn't really care for. Even if it's a very intense idea with potentially very large consequences, good or bad. 

So MacArthur and company never got the major media megaphone that they absolutely wanted for their pronouncement -- and that they made no secret of wanting.  And without the megaphone, most people never realized they'd MADE a public statement.

So since they INTENDED this to be very very public, I would never give them a pass by saying "well, they only talked their racist, misogynistic and homophobic talk in private, so it's NBD." They didn't talk in private. 

They fully intended to speak this very very very loudly. They made perfectly plain that this WAS what they intended. And were quite disappointed that their public launch of it fizzled the way it did.      They couldn't control the fact that media outlets weren't interested, no matter what press releases they sent out. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 7
  • Love 16
4 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

The thing is, though, they DID spew, spout and hate publicly. The petition was made very very public. But -- it only was able to become as public as a bunch of private citizens can make a statement about ethics and morality without help from the media. 

It was fully intended to be a very public reprimand and warning to every CHristian in the nation who didn't go along with their condemnation of any and all social-justice type activity as an actual damnable personal affront to God. MacArthur and his gang did everything they possibly could to disseminate and publicize the petition far and wide. 

The only reasons  that it didn't BECOME much of a publicly heard issue is that the media didn't report much on it.  It didn't come equipped with gun-toting pastors or a groundswell of pu8blic marching etc. And, it was mostly written in kind of stuffy MacArthur-ish language.   

So it made a faint splash with a small amount of media coverage. Nothing bleeding. No funny costumes. It was merely a very intense statement from a very large group of religious leaders calling any and all activity aimed at calling out social-justice problems and striving to fix them or even asked for them to be address is a direct sin against God. I consider that a big deal, and I think a lot of people would.

But it's not the kind of thing that "bleeds and leads" the media. It's a mere IDEA, which media doesn't really care for.

So MacArthur and company never got the major media megaphone that they absolutely wanted for their pronouncement -- and that they made no secret of wanting. 

So since they INTENDED this to be very very public, I would never give them a pass by saying "well, they only talked their racist, misogynistic and homophobic talk in private, so it's NBD." 

They fully intended to speak this very very very loudly. They made perfectly plain that this WAS wa they intended. And were quite disappointed that their public launch of it fizzled the way it did.      They couldn't control the fact that media outlets weren't interested.  

So they intended to make their beliefs public? Don't they already do that?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Video:

Thanks for sharing this. I watched the entire thing... longest three hours of my life. No wait, it was only twelve minutes...

Jeremy says LA hasn't been good for their diet. I don't know who "they" are, because he certainly hasn't included Jinger in that statement. 

It may be nitpicky, but what pissed me off the most in his video is that he dooesn't conclude with any sort of thanks to anyone. He doesn't thank the fans for their encouragement, he doesn't give any acknowledgement to mentors along the way, he can't even say a "thank you for your prayers during my time in seminary". 

• Useful 14
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Video:

I haven't watched it, but one of the comments on YT said,  Keep enjoying sponging off Daddy Mac while doing no real work. Good luck!  It was posted about 30 minutes ago so will probably be deleted.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 18
  • Love 1
(edited)
33 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

Jeremy says LA hasn't been good for their diet. I don't know who "they" are, because he certainly hasn't included Jinger in that statement. 

It may be nitpicky, but what pissed me off the most in his video is that he dooesn't conclude with any sort of thanks to anyone. He doesn't thank the fans for their encouragement, he doesn't give any acknowledgement to mentors along the way, he can't even say a "thank you for your prayers during my time in seminary". 

LA hasn't been good for his diet because he eats out 14 times per week.  Maybe have Jinger put on that apron and whip up some salad once in awhile, Fancy Pants.

Did JereME at least thank his wife for holding down the fort while he golfed, bought shoes, ate donuts and cheeseburgers, posed with homies and studied?

13 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

Yeah that was me :-)

I love this so much.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 18
28 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

LA hasn't been good for his diet because he eats out 14 times per week.  Maybe have Jinger put on that apron and whip up some salad once in awhile, Fancy Pants.

Did JereME at least thank his wife for holding down the fort while he golfed, bought shoes, ate donuts and cheeseburgers, posed with homies and studied?

I love this so much.

No.  He said not one thank you to his wife.  Not once.  He did make sure to put in a plug for the fried chicken sandwich  place though.  He has his priorities straight, for sure.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 5/19/2022 at 12:36 PM, Dehumidifier said:

I wonder what kind of retirement vision/plan these influencer people have. Do they contribute to Social Security? An IRA? 

I think it'd be hard to escape paying self-employment tax (for Social Security/Medicare) for all these years, although I wouldn't put it past Jim Bob to send lawyers/accountants around to everybody with plans to try and avoid it. 

A lot of their earnings have been liable for that tax over the years, like the tv earnings. Any earnings Jer gets from speeches. Generally influencers are considered independent contractors working for the companies they promote. So they're supposed to pay the self employment tax......

So if they're not illegally avoiding those taxes, they should have some accumulated Social Security backup. 

Since you're on your own with IRAs, though, it'd surprise me if Duggars did anything with them. JB's no doubt told them to prefer llcs!.....After all, when you retire you WILL have to pay some income taxes on the IRA money. ..... 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

After all, when you retire you WILL have to pay some income taxes on the IRA money. ..... 

Not on a Roth IRA! Though I imagine the taxes on it when you contribute rules it out for this bunch.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1