Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

When adult children get distance from their parents they often go one of two ways. They either fully embrace how they were raised or they forge a new path.

Alyssa Bates and Jinger both live some distance from their families and have changed up their clothing styles a bit. It appears to me that Alyssa is forging that new path and that Jinger would move back to Arkansas in a heart beat.

I don't see Jinger handling back-to-back children as easily as it appears Alyssa does either.

Even considering the similar cult-like atmosphere the two families raised their kids in, the Bates parents at least allowed their kids some individuality and critical thinking skills. I have more hope for the 3rd generation of Bates moving more toward mainstream Christianity than the Duggars.

• Love 17
18 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

No to the turban. Sorry. Just no. Looks like she’s about to break out the Mahjong tiles, light up a Virginia Slim 100 and pour herself a martini on the veranda of the senior center.

No kidding. Of course, now that you've described it, I love looking at her in the turban. Perfect and hilarious. 

I don't exactly hate the flower bands and hats on the babies. But when I see a situation like this -- where the kid apparently has one on every minute that there's somebody besides her parents in the room -- I do start to hate it. Because with Duggars and complementarian Duggar adjacents who go to seminaries that don't allow women on the premises it just screams to me -- We keep these headpieces on the kid constantly because we're terrified someone might think this girl is a boy. 

• Love 19
21 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

No to the turban. Sorry. Just no. Looks like she’s about to break out the Mahjong tiles, light up a Virginia Slim 100 and pour herself a martini on the veranda of the senior center.

I hope to do this someday.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

When adult children get distance from their parents they often go one of two ways. They either fully embrace how they were raised or they forge a new path.

Alyssa Bates and Jinger both live some distance from their families and have changed up their clothing styles a bit. It appears to me that Alyssa is forging that new path and that Jinger would move back to Arkansas in a heart beat.

I don't see Jinger handling back-to-back children as easily as it appears Alyssa does either.

Even considering the similar cult-like atmosphere the two families raised their kids in, the Bates parents at least allowed their kids some individuality and critical thinking skills. I have more hope for the 3rd generation of Bates moving more toward mainstream Christianity than the Duggars.

I disagree that Jinger would move back to AR . I think she can simultaneously miss her family but also be happy in TX.

I do think that the very fact that Jinger and Alyssa seem to be stepping away from Gothard teachings is huge, even if they remain fundie. Alyssa celebrating halloween is even more encouraging. If Alyssa plans to follow Quiverfull it will be obvious by the next kid or two. Hopefully she wanted 3 close in age and is now done. Same with Jinger. I can see them having 3-4 kids nicely spaced out ( 1+ year between pregnancies). If she waits until Lissy is over a year to get pregnant again I think we can assume she is not going to have 4000 kids like her mom. 

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

She might be more comfortable in skirts and dresses post-baby. My mom said pants didn't happen for her til I was nearly a year old.

Yes, a tight pair of jeans was quite unwanted! 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, yogi2014L said:

I disagree that Jinger would move back to AR . I think she can simultaneously miss her family but also be happy in TX.

I do think that the very fact that Jinger and Alyssa seem to be stepping away from Gothard teachings is huge, even if they remain fundie. Alyssa celebrating halloween is even more encouraging. If Alyssa plans to follow Quiverfull it will be obvious by the next kid or two. Hopefully she wanted 3 close in age and is now done. Same with Jinger. I can see them having 3-4 kids nicely spaced out ( 1+ year between pregnancies). If she waits until Lissy is over a year to get pregnant again I think we can assume she is not going to have 4000 kids like her mom. 

Jinger was waiting for her chance to bolt far away from the TTH. She got it. I think she'd be deeply unhappy living close to the compound. It seems like Jill and Dullard visited Arkansas more while they were on their vacation missionary trip than Jinger and Jeremy have.

I'm more surprised by Alyssa being on track to have more children than her mother, barring some sort of catastrophe or change of heart. I would have pegged her as trying to figure out a way around that, but then again knowing who her father in law is...

• Love 7
41 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Jinger strikes me as the type who gets homesick for her family and then three days in to visiting is like "get me out of here." The toughest part is not having any family nearby for Felicity. 

Or, when family comes to stay, she's recalling Ben Franklin's sentiment, "fish and visitors stink after 3 days."  I can relate.  To not wear out one's welcome is a an admirable thing.

• Love 13
20 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Or, when family comes to stay, she's recalling Ben Franklin's sentiment, "fish and visitors stink after 3 days."  I can relate.  To not wear out one's welcome is a an admirable thing.

I've heard that phrase but I never knew Ben Franklin was the one who originally said it! How funny.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

For some reason, this made me sad for jana. If she never marries, she will eventually be alone when her parents pass, and won't truly have a home anywhere. She'll always be a visitor who will probably be overworked and somewhat resented. I hope, if she never marries, she decides that living alone is a viable option. After all, Mary once lived alone!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Jinger strikes me as the type who gets homesick for her family and then three days in to visiting is like "get me out of here." The toughest part is not having any family nearby for Felicity. 

I’m sure Jinger would like to live close to her family just not too close, can’t see Jeremy wanting to live near the Duggars though. 

• Love 2
On 11/6/2018 at 1:44 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

The whole Laura living with the Duggars thing gives me a 19th century vibe and she is Jana's companion.  Back when a poor woman of good breeding had few options for employment.  It does make some sense to me since the Duggars and other Gothard families tend to live a 19th century lifestyle in many ways.  Laura probably does not get a real paycheck from the Duggars, but this way she is still in their bubble.  If she got a job out in the real world, then she might stray from their religious beliefs.  It feels weird to those of us who live in the 21st century where women get a real education and a paying job.  I read a lot of historical fiction, so this does not seem out of the ordinary for me.  

I too think she’s there to be Jana’s companion and assist her with running the household. There are still 8 under 18, James through Josie. As far as the lesbian speculation- I don’t think that’s the case. I think Jana and Laura want a peer to spend time with, as single women without children their social circle is SMALL within the Gothard world so they spend time with each other. That’s a better option than being stuck with small children all day. 

• Love 23
17 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I doubt the entire 3rd generation of either family will end up fundie or not. If Jim Bob and Michelle and Kelly and Gil Bates are 1st generation, then the second generation is 38 people plus spouses and the 3rd generation  will be 200/400 people*. The point is it's hard to control that many people and I have some hope that people from both families escape fundamentalism and end up doing what they want. 

*(Jim Bob and Michelle think they'll have at least 200 grandchildren and they may not have that many or they may have more. Kelly and Gil will probably have a large number of grandkids too. Currently the Duggars have 12 grandchildren and the Bates 8? soon-to-be-9?so about 21 in the 3rd generation already with probably many more to come.) 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, Temperance said:

I doubt the entire 3rd generation of either family will end up fundie or not. If Jim Bob and Michelle and Kelly and Gil Bates are 1st generation, then the second generation is 38 people plus spouses and the 3rd generation  will be 200/400 people*. The point is it's hard to control that many people and I have some hope that people from both families escape fundamentalism and end up doing what they want. 

*(Jim Bob and Michelle think they'll have at least 200 grandchildren and they may not have that many or they may have more. Kelly and Gil will probably have a large number of grandkids too. Currently the Duggars have 12 grandchildren and the Bates 8? soon-to-be-9?so about 21 in the 3rd generation already with probably many more to come.) 

Gothard, JimBob, and Michelle's eventual passings will snap a large number of people out of their sway. The lack of money/fame will do the rest. FWIW I would count Josh's generations as first generation. The parents weren't raised this way, they just chose the power structure that most benefited themselves.

• Love 21
16 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I'm more surprised by Alyssa being on track to have more children than her mother, barring some sort of catastrophe or change of heart. I would have pegged her as trying to figure out a way around that, but then again knowing who her father in law is...

I think they’ve publicly said they want 6-8. I don’t remember. I think Alyssa resents growing up in a house sharing beds and being so poor that food was scarce and prairie dresses were plentiful. 

Call me crazy but I love the turbans. It’s better than a bow the size of Texas on her head. It gives an otherwise potato looking infant a little personality. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, FakeJoshDuggar said:

I think they’ve publicly said they want 6-8. I don’t remember. I think Alyssa resents growing up in a house sharing beds and being so poor that food was scarce and prairie dresses were plentiful.

Call me crazy but I love the turbans. It’s better than a bow the size of Texas on her head. It gives an otherwise potato looking infant a little personality. 

I think she stated she only wanted 6 but Zoey came a bit faster than expected. If she's pregnant soon then I fully expect that she's going to end up following in her mother's footsteps.

I actually like the turban. Put that on her while she's with MOTY and she looks like a little Sophia Petrillo.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I think she stated she only wanted 6 but Zoey came a bit faster than expected. If she's pregnant soon then I fully expect that she's going to end up following in her mother's footsteps.

I do too, plus her house in Florida isn't that big. If she has 6-8 children, they'll be stacked like firewood just like the Bates kids were. Her only saving grace is John has a real job. They're not living off ministry and love offerings.

• Love 1
On 11/6/2018 at 2:39 AM, floridamom said:

Ok; now I would really like to know the explanation of why Laura has moved in with the Duggars.  This is just so weird to me.

It's pretty common in my family to have teen/young adult friends of the children come and live with the family. When I first moved from my extremely rural Idaho town to a larger town, I ended up with my son's best friend sleeping on our couch for 2 months until he went into the Navy, and several friends stayed for 2-4 weeks. So I don't see it as weird. I just figure she either didn't get along with her parents, or she was hired to be a live-in tutor and then got along with the family so well, so has stayed on until her one true love appears.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Nysha said:

It's pretty common in my family to have teen/young adult friends of the children come and live with the family. When I first moved from my extremely rural Idaho town to a larger town, I ended up with my son's best friend sleeping on our couch for 2 months until he went into the Navy, and several friends stayed for 2-4 weeks. So I don't see it as weird. I just figure she either didn't get along with her parents, or she was hired to be a live-in tutor and then got along with the family so well, so has stayed on until her one true love appears.

I can't tell you how many "extra" kids have lived at my sister's house. Her sons are 23, 20, and 16. Currently the oldest son's 22 year old girlfriend is living with them, she has been for years. Like I think she was still in high school, and her dad just lived across town with her little sister. Her mom is a drug addict and literally gave her away to her dad (who is not her birth father and I honestly don't know if he ever officially adopted her or not, I know she uses his last name though) when she was about 6 and mom decided she didn't want to be a mom to her daughters any more. Then a couple of years ago when girlfriend was still a minor, mom decided she wouldn't ever ask to see the girls anymore as long as she didn't have to pay child support. Seeing as she rarely and barely paid, and neither of them wanted anything to do with her, it was a done deal. They do still see their maternal grandma, so if they ever change their minds, they have an avenue to do so. She's been dating my nephew since they were 13 and 14 years old, she calls my sister Mom and my mom Grandma and me Aunt, just like my nephews. The middle nephew has had a random assortment of friends living there over the years, at least 2 or 3 boys that I know of. And currently the youngest one has a friend who is all but living there too. I don't think he's quite living there yet, but my sister just told me last week he doesn't have a mom and everyone needs one. I'm not sure what the story is there, but I'm sure he won't be the last extra kid living at my sister's house anytime soon. Hell, she can't even get her own kids to move out and they just keep bringing stray kids home instead!

As far as Laura and the Duggars, I'm glad she's there, if for no other reason, than to be a friend to Jana. I'd imagine Jana would have a pretty lonely life even with however many kids are still at home without Laura. There's the older boys and a passel of kids, but Hannie is a good decade younger than Jana and we know she's not going to hang out with the older boys either. Jana never seemed overly close to any of the sisters, so in a way, Laura is the sister she "never had" as odd as it sounds. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, cmr2014 said:

Really? Is it just not possible for these people to ever just have an honest emotion and leave it at that -- I love my grandma! Great! I don't believe for one second that ANYONE's favorite memories of spending time with their grandma include "witnessing together." They all just seem to be petrified that someone, somewhere might thing that they haven't spent 100% of every minute of every day yammering about Jesus.

Don't forget, their "brand" is religion and family.  Their posts on social media are nothing more than ads for their brand.  They've made a ton of money from exploiting their fertility and their faith, and they will continue to ride that gravy train until it derails.  

• Love 19
4 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

Really? Is it just not possible for these people to ever just have an honest emotion and leave it at that -- I love my grandma! Great! I don't believe for one second that ANYONE's favorite memories of spending time with their grandma include "witnessing together." They all just seem to be petrified that someone, somewhere might think that they haven't spent 100% of every minute of every day yammering about Jesus.

Exactly what I thought! Jinger and Mary both look really pretty in this picture, and Felicity is cute. They appear to be so normal, but then they ruin it with all this Jesus babble. I would soooo love to hear Jinger break the mold and tell us real memories with her grandma!

• Love 17

There’s a whole sect of my friends from high school who I believe might be fundie.  They were all in choir with me in HS, and I thought they were fairly mainstream.  A little conservative, but stylish, funny, sarcastic, into boys...and then we left high school and the weirdness started.  They ALL married the first boy they dated outside of high school, and apparently none of them kissed until the wedding ceremony.  They all work for the church in some capacity, although cost of living is so high in WA that many of them have other jobs (weirdly enough, they’re all college educated at good colleges like UW).  Every other sentence they post on IG is about Jesus and encouraging their brothers and sisters, and their “sweet, godly husbands”.  

My point is - while the Duggars are still a circus act, these two are firmly in the more mainstream brand of fundies, just like the Bates, and that becomes more dangerous because they start living their lives online more as Influencers, not just entertainment.

Taza lives a pretty picture life with five kids, and now her young followers want 5 kids.  I’m not even sure what a Jojo Siwa is, but I see kids dressed like Lisa Frank threw up on them every day.  The Vuolos are starting to fall into that category, and it’s scary and dangerous.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Is she a quarter Italian or an eighth Italian? Can't remember what I heard about Chuck's family....I thought I read that maybe only his father was Italian? 

Eighth. Jeremy's paternal grandfather was Italian.

Now I'm going to really see a little Sophia Petrillo every time I see a picture of Felicity. Thanks. "Picture it, Sicily..."!

• Love 18
2 hours ago, Wishing Well said:

There’s a whole sect of my friends from high school who I believe might be fundie.  They were all in choir with me in HS, and I thought they were fairly mainstream.  A little conservative, but stylish, funny, sarcastic, into boys...and then we left high school and the weirdness started.  They ALL married the first boy they dated outside of high school, and apparently none of them kissed until the wedding ceremony.  They all work for the church in some capacity, although cost of living is so high in WA that many of them have other jobs (weirdly enough, they’re all college educated at good colleges like UW).  Every other sentence they post on IG is about Jesus and encouraging their brothers and sisters, and their “sweet, godly husbands”.  

My point is - while the Duggars are still a circus act, these two are firmly in the more mainstream brand of fundies, just like the Bates, and that becomes more dangerous because they start living their lives online more as Influencers, not just entertainment.

Taza lives a pretty picture life with five kids, and now her young followers want 5 kids.  I’m not even sure what a Jojo Siwa is, but I see kids dressed like Lisa Frank threw up on them every day.  The Vuolos are starting to fall into that category, and it’s scary and dangerous.

I know what you mean.  I've noticed this before. Maybe, they just don't have much else to say. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

From the two pics in succession, I'm getting an "accuser from the Salem witch trials" vibe from Molly Bonnet. ... Methinks the turban is not her style...and arouses suspicions.... Along with Feli's laugh in the second pic, I think Felicity had better make a run for it out of Salem.

Mollie does look like she stepped out of a production of The Crucible, you're right! Why would you dress an infant like that? (I know the answer: it's Conspicuous Modesty and Look at How Godly We Are.)

• Love 21
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

At least Felicity doesn't look like a character from Little House on the Prairie, so well done. (You can really see Mollie's outfit in the second pic.)

So at what age do babies learn the concept of “oh shit” because that’s the second picture we’ve seen with that exact look on her face.

Her first “oh shit” was with Nana Narcissism...

• Love 12

I live in a community with lots of Amish, and I see babies dressed like Mollie everyday (all females, no matter what age, wear head coverings at all times, except to sleep).  I think they’re downright adorable.  There’s nothing cuter than Amish babies/toddlers/children!

2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

So at what age do babies learn the concept of “oh shit” because that’s the second picture we’ve seen with that exact look on her face.

Her first “oh shit” was with Nana Narcissism...

Felicity has got flipping the bird down pat!

• Love 14

YES that little bonnet is totally reminiscent of the crucible. You guys hit the nail on the head. 

One of my old coworkers who is complete hippy had a bonnet on her son, I think they are a crunchy mom social media trend ( which she is one of those moms). I don't see them all that often on kids in my direct social circles. 

• Love 2