Type keyword(s) to search

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

JessePinkman
  • Start Topic

really enjoyed this movie.  Saw it today with my son and read no previews beforehand

I was skeptical of this being the second spiderman reboot in, what 5 years, but it still works. 

Hannibal Buress in their too as the teacher!!  Wanted to see more of him.  Zendaya, Donald Glover, lots of other recognizable actors and actresses as well. 

Seeing as how Michael Keaton was once Batman, this is basically new spiderman vs old batman. 

I also liked for once it was not "superhero at the last minutes prevents evil villain from destroying the world", which has been the all too common theme of 90% of the superhero movies lately. 

• Love 5

Gotta join in with all the love. It was so much fun! Tom Holland really is Spiderman/Peter Parker in the way RDJ and Chris Evans are their characters.

Ned was such a good character and very realistic in the way someone finding out their best friend is a hero would be.

On 7/7/2017 at 2:10 AM, nilyank said:

I thought the tension building was excellent when he met Liz's dad all the way to the car drive to the Homecoming dance.

And I flat out loved how it ended in Peter's room.

On 7/7/2017 at 4:28 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Speaking of which, gold star to Michael Keaton as Adrian Toomes.  I wish we got a little more of him, but he was easily one of the better Marvel villains.  In particular, that scene in the car was actually one of the more chilling and even scary moments involving any superhero villain.  You could easily buy him as someone who would kill a fifteen year-old, without hesitation.  I am so glad that Keaton has had a resurgence lately, because he's been on point in everything I've seen him in these past few years.  And I love that, unlike most villains recently, he didn't die, so they are hopefully setting him up to factor in again in a future film.  But between him and Ego from Guardians 2, I'm starting to think Marvel is finally getting their act together in the villain department.

I was feeling the tension and was actually scared for Peter; I was like run out of the car Peter run!

I did a little mouth covering with my hands when Michael Keaton opened the door, I was kind of shocked. For some reason I thought that one of the teachers had called Zendaya's character Ms. Toomes so I thought he was her dad and Peter would see him at the actual dance dropping Michelle off. Did not expect him to be Liz's dad.

emma-watson-shocked-hands-over-mouth.gif.fcf768866898ed73d1076a1134b7609a.gif

• Love 6

@AimingforYoko oh wow, I had no idea. Thanks, that's really cool!

I just got back and I loved everything about this movie. Michael Keaton was fantastic as Vulture. I swear there was a part in the car scene where Keaton smiled and I was like Holy Shit he's channeling the Joker! It was his smile, just reminded me of Burton's Batman.

I really enjoyed Michelle so the reveal that she was (soet of) MJ worked for me. I really didn't want another MJ but, Michelle is different and may only end up MJ in name only (with non of the classic Mary-Jane Watson aspects).

I was pleased with the Stark and Happy extended cameos. They were used the perfect amount to support the story. I was shocked at Pepper being back. I've always been massively indifferent to that relationship so I didn't really care

At the same time, good on Marvel for keeping that cameo under wraps.

Anyone else get a little misty when the played the Spider-Man the over the opening MCU titles? 

• Love 7

I adore Tom Holland, and loved his appearance in Civil War, and I will see this movie. But I'm already peeved because MJ isn't Mary Jane Watson, and she should be.  After all that flak over Zendaya's casting? And the director knew she wasn't going to be playing the MJ everyone associates with Peter Parker? And he didn't say shit?!?

Maybe this is better suited for the Unpopular Thread, but this change doesn't sit well with me. And yeah, growing up reading the strip in my newspaper, I'm a Peter/MJ shipper.  SUE ME.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

he didn't say shit?

I think everyone associated with this movie keep saying Zendaya wasn't the MJ, she was Michelle. It's just that no one believe them. lol

47 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I adore Tom Holland, and loved his appearance in Civil War, and I will see this movie. But

I saw homecoming yesterday, I love it.  I need to see what else Tom Holland is in, he is a talented actor. Beside homecoming and civil war, I saw the film he was in with Naomi Wyatt. He really carried that film imo. 

5 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Oh yeah, forgot one little thing: All the cameos are fun, but one cameo is a huuuuuge breadcrumb for the future. 

Reveal hidden contents

Donald Glover plays Aaron Davis. Miles Morales' criminal uncle.

I'm torn between "That is so cool!" and suddenly being terrified for Peter.

• Love 1

If I had one nitpick it would be the use of Iron Man.  He hasn't worn out his welcome yet but I fear he's getting there.  I'm just about one more non Avenges/Iron Man movie where Tony shows up and acts self righteous away before I'm over him.

• Love 3

LOVED IT!!  Totally my favourite Spiderman movie. Tobey Maguire is a dead-eyed fish in my respectful submission and while Andrew Garfield has more charm it was such a retread it was too boring to enjoy.

Tom Holland is ADORABLE and perfect as both Peter and Spiderman.  His interrogation of Donald Glover was the best.  There was not one weak link in the cast.

My biggest nitpick is that I don't understand why Pepper would have thought pulling Peter out of school, moving him into the Avengers compound, and announcing he's a member of the Avengers (even if they don't give his real name, although they would have to in accordance with the Sokovia Accords) would be a good idea.  He's FIFTEEN YEARS OLD.  That's practically kidnapping.  I would have preferred that there not be any reporters.  A friend suggested that it instead be all the other Avengers with a "Welcome to the Team!" banner and cake waiting for him, which would have been awesome.

I think one of my top moments is when Michelle says she won't celebrate the Washington Monument because it was built by slaves and the security guard backs her up. I love it because it was character appropriate, it set up the moment for her to be on the ground to alert Peter that all his friends were in there, and just because they said it in a freaking MCU film.

• Love 17
33 minutes ago, Glory said:

Martin Starr had the best line of the entire movie. "I would hate to lose a student. Again." 

/dead

It would have been funny no matter what, but what made it one of the great lines was the actor's delivery.  Spot on.

• Love 4

Oh my God, this is the Spider-Man movie that I've been waiting for! I mean, I grew up with the Rami movies, and they were my first real exposure to Peter Parker/Spider-Man, so they will always have a special place in my heart, and I thought the Andrew Garfield movies had a lot of good things going for them (and I just really like Andrew Garfield), but this really is the best depiction of the character that I've ever seen, and had a really solid story to back him up. I loved that the story was relatively low key, especially for a superhero movie. The world wasn't in danger, the villain didn't want to take over the world or even really kill people, hell only one person in the whole movie died, and that HAS to be to be some kind of record for a superhero movie. It was just a kid fighting a criminal, and that worked out perfectly. Its what I love about creating a shared universe like the MCU. We can go from the huge, universe in jeopardy, space opera of wackiness that is GOTG2, and follow it up with a teenaged superhero fighting a low level criminal and finding a date to the homecoming dance, and they BOTH work, and can happily co-exist in the same universe. The setting they have built up just allows for so many stories, from so different genres and styles, and I love that Marvel is getting more and more diverse and creative when it comes to its movies and shows.

Seriously though, I hope whoever is in charge of Marvels casting department is getting a TON of money because they are ridiculously good at their jobs. Much like how Chris Evans IS Captain America, and RDJ IS Tony Stark, Tom Holland IS Peter Parker. He had the geeky teenager vibe that Toby Maguire had, but he also had the funny, charismatic crime fighter vibe that Andrew Garfield had. I always felt like both of the Spider-Men had aspects of character, without fully embodying him, but in Tom Holland, they finally found that sweet spot. I also love that he actually looked and acted like a 15 year old, instead of a 20 something, like the last few Spider-Men came off as. It adds an extra tension to the movie when your watching a teenager who isn't even old enough to drive getting into these very dangerous, very intense situations, and you also have this young, eager kid who has these really impressive powers, but with no real training, and it makes his mistakes more understandable, and makes Tony's actions in holding him back from getting more involved in fighting villains something we can understand and relate to. The scene where Peter gets trapped under the debris was such an intense and heartbreaking scene because it really hits you that this really is just a 15 year old with no training, who has been rather naive about the whole crime fighting thing, and is suddenly in a very real, and very life threatening situation. He just sounds so scared, it just hits you in the gut.

We also got just the right amount of Tony, and I enjoyed his attempts at being a mentor, even though he clearly knows that he has no real clue what he's doing. Also, Pepper is back! And her and Tony are apparently back together! I always liked Pepper/Tony, so I was super happy to see that they apparently reconciled at some point after their off screen break up in Civil War. Good on Gwyneth for agreeing to the cameo! Speaking of cameos, Chris Evans really is just the gift that keeps on giving, isn't he? I just love that, at some point, Steve went around making all these dorky PSAs, sometime in between fighting aliens and exposing Hydra. I couldn't stop laughing the whole time.

I thought the whole cast was really excellent, and I enjoyed the high school setting a lot. I like that they made Peters school a kind of magnet style science and technology school (which makes sense, as smart as Peter is), and the cast of high schoolers were a lot of fun, at least partially because they actually looked/acted like real high schoolers. I thought Liz was really cute, Ned was a fun sidekick (heheh the chair guy), and Michelle, who looks like she will be our MJ, will be an interesting character going forward. It seems like she already has a crush on Peter (not that he noticed), and now with the MJ revelation, it looks like she might be Peters future prom date/love of his life. Granted, that could change, as they're making a lot of changes to the source material, but I would be alright with it. They also made a great call in casting a lot of really funny actors like Hannibal Burgess, Martin Star, and Donald Glover in supporting roles, who can take small roles and get some good laughs and make a solid impression. I also really enjoyed the younger version of Aunt May, who definitely had a different personality than the classic Aunt Mays (being more of a younger, "cool aunt"), but I thought her being younger actually made sense. I mean, May is Peters moms sister, right? That's how it normally is in the comics, so it would make sense for a 50 year old woman to be the aunt of a 15 year old, as opposed to an elderly woman. I mean, she could be older, certainly, especially if Peters mom was older when she had Peter, or there was a big age difference between sisters, but it works for me.

Speaking of casting, Michael Keating's comeback in the last few years has been an absolute blessing to movie goers everywhere. The higher-ups at Marvel must have heard all the complaints about the boring villains in the earlier MCU movies, because their last few villains have been MUCH more memorable and interesting than the villains of the past. Keating made The Vulture a legit threat, who could be scary and intimidating. but was also very much a person who had his sympathetic traits as well. I legit gasped when he opened that door at Liz's house, and seeing his suburban dad life with his family was both hilarious and intense. He could switch from dad mode to villain mode with just a glance, it was awesome. At the same time, I also bought that he did love his family, care about his crew (unless they messed with his family), and that he felt really hurt and bitter about how Tony Starks company took his big contract when it came to cleaning up after the alien attack in NYC. And, most importantly, I did feel like he did really like and respect Peter, even while he was trying to kill him. It wasn't a personal grudge match, it was just a guy who felt like he had to get his big pay day, and would do anything to get it, even hurting or killing a teenager (one who is friends with his own daughter even!) who got in his way. I actually thought it was pretty awesome that he kept Peters secret identity a secret, presumably out of gratitude for saving his life. I like a villain who has some redeeming qualities, even while still being a bad guy. Plus, he didn't die, which I'm hoping means he shows up again.

I'm also so glad that they didn't do a retread of the same Spider-Man stuff that we have seen a million times before. No origin story with the spider bite and Uncle Ben, no Green Goblin shenanigans, no Gwen Stacy or Mary Jane (kind of), it was just doing its own thing with some of the lesser known parts of the mythology, and it allowed the movie to be its own, so it wouldn't just get compared to the other movies.

This was just a really good, fun, heartfelt movie. It didn't reinvent the wheel or anything, but it didn't have to. I'm not sure its the best of the MCU like some critics are saying, but its definitely up there. We are 4 for 4 when it comes to comic book movies so far this year, so lets hope the new Thor and Justice League keeps that streak going!

• Love 14

A small thing that stood out for me was that the Department of Damage Control wasn't Tony trying to make money off the clean-up after the Battle of New York. He was their source of funding and it was basically him paying to get the mess cleaned up and the alien tech secured. I'm guessing that if Tony was aware of the people with contracts that got screwed (like Toomes) he might have done what he could to mitigate it. I'm not going to hold it against Tony that he sees the damage that was caused and wants to fix it.

• Love 9

I don't hold it against Tony either. From his perspective, he was cleaning up a mess that he helped create, and was keeping dangerous alien weapons out of the hands of the general public, who could use them to commit crimes, or just hurt themselves or others accidently. I'm sure it just never occurred to him that by privatizing clean up, he was taking away jobs from blue collar guys who needed the money. It also fits in really well with a lot of Tony's issues, where he has such a massive guilt complex that he has become rather obsessive about trying to make everything "right", and that can give him serious tunnel vision and create new problems. Look at the Ultron debacle. I sort of wish he had a chance to meet Toomes and explain why he created Damage Control, even if it wouldn't do much good. It wasn't to make more money or push around blue color types, it was to try to take responsibility for his actions as much as possible. I can see how it looks to a guy like Toomes though. Like @anna0852 said, I'm sure that if Tony knew that Damage Control was taking jobs from people who needed it, he would have tried to help.

Something I really love about this movie is that its a really good look at how the world and society has changed in the wake of all these superhero shenanigans. I mean, its been awhile since Iron Man first showed up, and its been a few years, in universe, since aliens attacked New York, at this point, superpowers and crazy tech and aliens and magic and stuff is just a common part of life. This movie has so many connections to the MCU, from the villains schemes of using alien tech to become a super powered arms dealer, to the principle being a descendent of one of Captain Americas old army buddies, to the pictures of Bruce Banner and the guy who created the super serum next to Einstein and such scientists, to the Captain America PSAs to kids talking about who the hottest Avenger is, its just an interesting look at the MCU from a "normal" perspective, and its super interesting to me.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, dusang said:

LOVED IT!!  Totally my favourite Spiderman movie. Tobey Maguire is a dead-eyed fish in my respectful submission and while Andrew Garfield has more charm it was such a retread it was too boring to enjoy.

Tom Holland is ADORABLE and perfect as both Peter and Spiderman.  His interrogation of Donald Glover was the best.  There was not one weak link in the cast.

My biggest nitpick is that I don't understand why Pepper would have thought pulling Peter out of school, moving him into the Avengers compound, and announcing he's a member of the Avengers (even if they don't give his real name, although they would have to in accordance with the Sokovia Accords) would be a good idea.  He's FIFTEEN YEARS OLD.  That's practically kidnapping.  I would have preferred that there not be any reporters.  A friend suggested that it instead be all the other Avengers with a "Welcome to the Team!" banner and cake waiting for him, which would have been awesome.

I think one of my top moments is when Michelle says she won't celebrate the Washington Monument because it was built by slaves and the security guard backs her up. I love it because it was character appropriate, it set up the moment for her to be on the ground to alert Peter that all his friends were in there, and just because they said it in a freaking MCU film.

I did not even think about that with Peter's age but you're absolutely right.  Saying he's the latest Avengers is practically going into child soldier territory for Tony and Pepper.  If it had been handled like the Registration Act in the comics (training young people with superpowers on how to safely use their abilities) it would work but in the movie it looks like he's pretty much recruiting a barely-teenaged Peter to fight.

On some other posts, I don't blame Tony either for trying to get all that alien tech off of the streets.  It's the responsible and sensible thing to do.  I do wish we'd have gotten a scene with Tony and Adrian though.  RDJ and Keaton would have done a great job with it.

Speaking of Adrian, I think I appreciated the low-stakes nature of the final battle.  Adrian wants a big payday and Peter wants to keep the weapons off of the street.  Spider-Man has tackled the biggest threats in the Marvel Universe but he's primarily a street-level hero and the final battle in this film reflected that.

• Love 3

Spider-man should first and foremost be fun, and Homecoming certainly had that in spades. Tom Holland really seems to enjoy playing Peter, and I think his take on Spider-Man makes sense. In a universe where we're 7-8 years removed from the events of Avengers, and Super Heroes are common-place, Peter's emergence as a teenager would definitely look up to the core avengers, and want to prove himself to them. I think the movie, while not an origin story, speaks to Peter moving from trying to prove himself to Tony (and the Avengers he idolizes) to himself.

I was worried there was actually going to be a lot more Tony than there was in the movie. I felt like he supported the story well without being too present. It would have been nice to have at least mentioned Ben and not just "everything that's happened recently" to help frame Peter seeing Tony as that Father Figure, and Tony somewhat eager to take on that role. I echo the sentiment that Peter finding the strength to get out from the rubble from Ben's words would have been more impactful, but I get why they didn't. It likely would have had to involve a scene with a Ben actor, and with the backlash against more dead Tom and Martha Waynes last year, I get why they didn't introduce more dead Bens.

My one significant gripe was Ned. With all the acting talent in this movie we spent all this time with... Ned. Nope, I definitely don't want more scenes from Donald Glover, or Martin Starr, or Bokeem Woodbine, or Tony Revolori, or Marisa Tomey, or even Zendaya, give me extended time with the guy with one other acting credit, who has one default emotion.

My favorite line of the movie belonged to Hannibal Burress, after showing the Captain America tape before the fitness challenge:

-"Actually, I think that guy may be a war criminal now. But, whatever do what he says"

• Love 1

Saw it this weekend, and for the most part, it was excellent. Vulture was cool, much better than in the comics to me, Keaton did a great job. I also like Ned, how they brought Miles' buddy into the mix here. Great character, the "guy in the chair." However, I do have one issue. I do not like Peter being so desperate for Stark's approval. I like Iron Man/Downey Jr. just fine (and I love them bringing Pepper back), but in no way should he have such control over Spider-Man. I get it that he's a teenager, but never in the comics did we see anything like this. Just rubs me the wrong way. As always, your mileage may vary. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't think Tony wants this kind of control over Spider-Man, I think he certainly has better things he prefer to be doing with his time and I noticed he was pretty quick to hand supervision over to happy Hogan. But I think he does recognize that you have a superpower teen running around who idolizes The Avengers and has absolutely no decent training on how to responsibly use his powers. This isn't Tony looking for more control, this is Tony trying to do the responsible thing and really just keep Peter from getting killed. The only major mistake I saw Tony make was not letting Peter know that he had taken his call about Toomes seriously and that he had alerted the FBI. Had Peter know that he might still have been on the boat because well watching an FBI take down is cool, at least to a 15 year old, but he wouldn't have felt like he had to handle it all on his own.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 12
37 minutes ago, Traveller519 said:

Spider-man should first and foremost be fun, and Homecoming certainly had that in spades. Tom Holland really seems to enjoy playing Peter, and I think his take on Spider-Man makes sense. In a universe where we're 7-8 years removed from the events of Avengers, and Super Heroes are common-place, Peter's emergence as a teenager would definitely look up to the core avengers, and want to prove himself to them. I think the movie, while not an origin story, speaks to Peter moving from trying to prove himself to Tony (and the Avengers he idolizes) to himself.

I was worried there was actually going to be a lot more Tony than there was in the movie. I felt like he supported the story well without being too present. It would have been nice to have at least mentioned Ben and not just "everything that's happened recently" to help frame Peter seeing Tony as that Father Figure, and Tony somewhat eager to take on that role. I echo the sentiment that Peter finding the strength to get out from the rubble from Ben's words would have been more impactful, but I get why they didn't. It likely would have had to involve a scene with a Ben actor, and with the backlash against more dead Tom and Martha Waynes last year, I get why they didn't introduce more dead Bens.

My one significant gripe was Ned. With all the acting talent in this movie we spent all this time with... Ned. Nope, I definitely don't want more scenes from Donald Glover, or Martin Starr, or Bokeem Woodbine, or Tony Revolori, or Marisa Tomey, or even Zendaya, give me extended time with the guy with one other acting credit, who has one default emotion.

My favorite line of the movie belonged to Hannibal Burress, after showing the Captain America tape before the fitness challenge:

-"Actually, I think that guy may be a war criminal now. But, whatever do what he says"

Yes, I would personally like to spend more time with Peter's actual best friend than ancillary characters just because they are more credited actors. I loved Ned and he was perfect representation of the teenage best friend finding out all this stuff. He also got to be the guy in the chair. I love that this one a dream for a character in a movie. Not to be the hero. All those other actor were playing characters that were Easter eggs and non important characters right now. Ned is playing a important function right now. But, I also liked the actor so I have no reason to complain anyway.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I also really enjoyed the younger version of Aunt May, who definitely had a different personality than the classic Aunt Mays (being more of a younger, "cool aunt"), but I thought her being younger actually made sense. I mean, May is Peters moms sister, right? That's how it normally is in the comics, so it would make sense for a 50 year old woman to be the aunt of a 15 year old, as opposed to an elderly woman. I mean, she could be older, certainly, especially if Peters mom was older when she had Peter, or there was a big age difference between sisters, but it works for me.

Actually, Uncle Ben in the books is Peter's dad's older brother, so May is his aunt by marriage.  Though I do agree that it makes more sense to have a younger Aunt May.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Yes, I would personally like to spend more time with Peter's actual best friend than ancillary characters just because they are more credited actors. I loved Ned and he was perfect representation of the teenage best friend finding out all this stuff. He also got to be the guy in the chair. I love that this one a dream for a character in a movie. Not to be the hero. All those other actor were playing characters that were Easter eggs and non important characters right now. Ned is playing a important function right now. But, I also liked the actor so I have no reason to complain anyway.

I'm sorry but Aunt May and the Shocker aren't Easter Eggs or non-important characters to the story right now.

Regardless, from a character perspective, I agree. I prefer to have that friend with whom the protagonist can interact, but the execution was what lacked for me. The actor was certainly part of it, which is really too bad because among the many things Disney usually does very well casting younger actors for film and television is one of the big ones, but the writing and creation all bundled into a thoroughly annoying character to me.  In this movie I sought out those other characters because in their limited use they were more interesting than his annoying friend.

Like I said. Ned was my only real gripe about the movie. I really enjoyed it. It's following a strong trend of this years Super Hero movies of primarily worrying about telling their core story within the narrative and not overly-worrying about universe building.

I found Ned a bit annoying too but only because he's so perfectly embodied a teenage boy finding out his best friend is secretly a superhero. I feel like he reacted perfectly which I find irritating as an adult who is long past her teenage years and didn't enjoy them the first time around. Of course Ned is focused on the cool pieces and won't stop talking about it and thinks it's the best thing ever and wants to know if his friend has met the Avengers. He's a 15 year old boy this is exactly how he's going to react. The fact that it's irritating means he played it well because it's very true to life. At least my opinion.

• Love 9
On 7/7/2017 at 0:45 PM, Jazzy24 said:

But I can't believe that Tony sold the Avengers Tower :-( I'm legit so very sad about this. Though the upgraded compound is so very nice. 

I know I thought rich folks didn't actually sell off real estate. However if it was sold to Walter Collins or to make it easier someone named Baxter.

I wonder if the Avengers Tower was sold to Norman Osborn.

And speaking of which, could Ned be Hobgoblin?  One of the many Hobgoblins was Ned Leeds.

BTW, the voice of Karen in Peter's suit is Jennifer Connolly, who is married to Paul Bettany.

I saw this yesterday and I really liked it. It was nice that his high school seemed like a real high school. And as others have said it was a change to have him have a group of friends. And the girl he liked wasn't the prom queen, but still kind of popular. Ned was great and again a realist way a nerdy friend would react :).

It also had the right about of Tony, not to much that he stole the movie but enough to have some good lines. I like that they established that him and Pepper are back (still?) together. And it was great seeing Stan Lee make a camero.

While Toby's movies are always going to be better to be, as I grew up with those. At least the first two anyway. I liked this one a lot and it was much better then amazing spiderman (which really didn't need to be made).

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

Actually, Uncle Ben in the books is Peter's dad's older brother, so May is his aunt by marriage.  Though I do agree that it makes more sense to have a younger Aunt May.

Ben and May in the comics were ancient.  Ben was significantly older than Peter's father.  It made more sense to have May younger here.

I also think having a younger Aunt May makes more sense. In the comics she looked more like a grandma than an aunt. I know they didn't show what happened to Uncle Ben, I'm assuming it's the same as the other movies and comics. Having her be a younger widow makes her story a little sadder. 

The fact that the high school kids at least looked like high school kids was a big plus for me. Tom Holland is the best Spider-man in terms of getting the dorky yet charming and witty teenager. 

I don't mind the new MJ since she's not Mary Jane she's Michelle Jones. I like Peter's new love interest being a weird loner. That's not to say Mary Jane doesn't exist. He could always meet her later in college. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, benteen said:

Ben and May in the comics were ancient.  Ben was significantly older than Peter's father.  It made more sense to have May younger here.

It makes more sense but I remember my first thought from The Amazing Spider-Man was that Sally Field was too sexy for the role ;) I understand that in  later editions of the comics Aunt Mae is more Marisa Tomei than Rosemary Harris

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

I'm sorry but Aunt May and the Shocker aren't Easter Eggs or non-important characters to the story right now.

Regardless, from a character perspective, I agree. I prefer to have that friend with whom the protagonist can interact, but the execution was what lacked for me. The actor was certainly part of it, which is really too bad because among the many things Disney usually does very well casting younger actors for film and television is one of the big ones, but the writing and creation all bundled into a thoroughly annoying character to me.  In this movie I sought out those other characters because in their limited use they were more interesting than his annoying friend.

Like I said. Ned was my only real gripe about the movie. I really enjoyed it. It's following a strong trend of this years Super Hero movies of primarily worrying about telling their core story within the narrative and not overly-worrying about universe building.

Shocker is in that he's a character set up. Yes that's shocker. Not important to the story right now and how much Aunt May is there supposed to be? Like any teenage story, she's only going to be there  so much. Now with her knowing the secrets, it opens up possibilities for the character. As these movies grow so can the roles. You can't over stuff these movies trying to give every solid actor or character the spotlight. The spider man series itself is already a perfect example of that. 

I liked it, but there were enough plot aspects that I didn't to keep it from being my favorite Spider-Man movie. I still think the first two Raimi movies were better overall. That said, Tom Holland is perfect as Peter Parker, the best ever by far, and with the exception of Jon Favreau I thought all the acting was top notch. I thought the movie was really running on all cylinders dealing with the high school environment and Peter's interactions with classmates and friends. And the Captain America PSAs had me howling.

On 7/8/2017 at 8:58 AM, Shannon L. said:

Did my son and I miss something or was their timeline a bit messed up?  Not that it was anything that messed with our enjoyment of the movie, but in the beginning, they were cleaning up NY from the alien attack in The Avengers (released in 2012), then "8 years later" appeared on the screen .   They also seemed to suggest that the complex in upstate NY was in the process of being completed, yet in Antman (2015) and CA: Civil War (2016) and I think one more--Ultron, maybe? (2015)-- it appeared to be fully functional.  It's a nitpick, but the "8 years later" thing threw me a little.

I didn't pay enough attention to the "8 years later" card for that problem to register, but the issue with the upstate NY Avengers complex did jump out at me. The people making this did actually watch the other MCU movies, right?

On 7/8/2017 at 9:43 AM, greekmom said:

Only issue I had was the plot with Vulture stealing all that stuff from the government. You mean to tell me NO ONE noticed? This is alien tech that was suppose to be on high security. I can understand the first load or maybe second or third. But Vulture has been doing this for 8 freaking years and no one noticed? Comeon. 

Just about everything dealing with the villain operation made no sense. This is a salvage crew, but they're able to customize alien tech better than freakin' HYDRA and build their own equivalent to Iron Man power armor, without any accidents that would give them away? They're robbing high security government shipments for disposal of said dangerous tech for years and no one is noticing? They're trying to sell it from a van down by the river to local petty criminals who want regular guns, or are going to use lasers and tractor beams to knock over ATMs? The gear itself is way more powerful and dangerous than it was in use against the Avengers, including things like dematerialization tech that we've only ever seen via the Vision's vibranium body powered by an Infinity Stone? They think there aren't going to be immediate repercussions to a "big score" that steals proprietary material directly from the Avengers? They somehow know exactly how and when the Avengers are moving said proprietary material? And it's being done unmanned with no security or live oversight? Not even Michael Keaton's excellent acting could cover all the WTFery of the script regarding the Vulture's criminal enterprise.

On 7/10/2017 at 9:19 AM, dusang said:

This. The script did a horrible disservice to Pepper, who would neither think it's a good idea to sign a 15-year-old up for a government sponsored superhero team that's already had two casualties (one of them fatal!) nor trust that Tony would have actually cleared all this with said child's legal guardian if she hasn't even met him herself.

• Love 3
(edited)

I was just too happy to see Pepper again(and looking fantastic) for me to register that she was also okay with Peter being recruited. Tony did say "everyone thought he was crazy for recruiting a 14 year old" I'm assuming Pepper was one one of those people. I'm going to say the logic is Peter was going to be out there being a superhero on his own anyways and it's better that he be under official supervision and presumably signed with the Sokovia Accords than out there solo. Personally I had enough people especially Pepper admonishing Tony(even though he may deserve it) these past few movies.

This was me at the opening "Oh my god Tyne Daly!"(I watched a lot of Cagney & Lacey reruns when I was young) and me at the ending "Oh my god Pepper!" I was excited to see both and I love that the MCU is incorporating Damage Control from the comics.

I also love they made Aunt May Italian like Marisa Tomei. If you ever see Marisa Tomei's of the "Who Do You Think You Are?" where celebrities learn about their ancestry she learns that her great grandfather living in Italy was killed because of a vendetta.  That's the most stereotypical Italian thing I can imagine!

Jennifer Connelly(former Betty Ross and wife of Paul Bettany aka JARVIS/Vision) as the voice of the Spider-suit's AI was a nice tough.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
(edited)

Favorite moment: KAREN saying "This is your chance Peter, kiss her!" when Peter was upside down in front of Liz, which was a great nod to the first Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movie.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5
(edited)

I can't begin to care about the bringing in Spider-Man thing because it was never going to happen logically. It was just meant to bookend the movie. The kid who wanted nothing more to be an avenger finally realized he doesn't need it and is better off being a neighborhood guy for now. It's just storytelling. 

And as someone I know said, it's perfectly Tony. It's the way he introduced himself to the world as a heri so he was going to give that to Peter. I'm sure Pepper at least thinks she can wrangle in some of this on her end. But, yeah, it was never going to happen so it just gets a shoulder shrug from me.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 1

Tremendous job, overall.

I loved the Avengers continuity (airport showdown) at the top of the film.

The everyman first praising Spidey, and then minutes later, proclaiming Iron Man, on the ferry was such a profound moment.  Our society doesn't much remember or honor our past heroes.  This was a lightning-quick representation of that fickleness.  Brilliant, imo.

Stan Lee's cameo was fun and it totally worked as a callback to the old Batman TV series when celebrities would make cameos in the windows of buildings Batman would be climbing.  

I'll argue anyone on this point:  Of all the death-defying moments faced by Parker/Spidey, the most truly perilous was his asking Liz out to the dance.  Dude was terrified!  I loved it.

Zendaya hit it out of the park with Michelle.  Keaton was magnificent.  

I'll try to exhibit patience for the next installment.  ;)

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I think Keaton's Vulture/Adrian Toomes might be on the best MCU villains. Michael Keaton was so menacing in the car scene.

I was so scared for Peter. And the way you see him putting the pieces together that Peter is Spiderman was great, I was screaming internally for Liz to shut up. That was a great scene. Him not telling Peter's identity did give him layers and I thought brilliant. 

• Love 8

I really enjoyed the movie. I loved the scariest moment for me happened when the hero and villain were in civilian clothes.

My only question is about the timeline. I saw a really confusing thing about how confused this makes the MCU timeline, but I just want to know why schools are still using Captain America PSAs after Civil War. Maybe the public doesn't know Steve's status as a criminal. Maybe it's that thing where school materials lag. What am I missing?

(edited)

This is my favorite Spider-Man movie by far. I think it could've been 30 minutes shorter though.

I was stunned to see Gwyneth, loved Zendaya, and am looking forward to what develops with Donald Glover's character.

From Batman to Birdman to Vulture. Michael Keaton is living a charmed life.

During the scene in the car between Peter and Toomes the background music playing at the beginning was The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys, a song (and album) released in 1971 by the British rock group, Traffic. It struck me as an incredibly but delightfully random choice for a movie like this.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
because donald is not danny
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, LJonEarth said:

My only question is about the timeline. I saw a really confusing thing about how confused this makes the MCU timeline, but I just want to know why schools are still using Captain America PSAs after Civil War. Maybe the public doesn't know Steve's status as a criminal. Maybe it's that thing where school materials lag. What am I missing?

The joke was that school materials are always woefully out of date. The "your changing bodies" gag was great, because I'm sure the only other tape they had was from the 70's. 

The even mentioned it in the movie when the gym teacher said,  "Pretty sure he's a war criminal now, but do what he says." 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Glory said:

The joke was that school materials are always woefully out of date. The "your changing bodies" gag was great, because I'm sure the only other tape they had was from the 70's. 

The even mentioned it in the movie when the gym teacher said,  "Pretty sure he's a war criminal now, but do what he says." 

There's also a comment about it being a "requirement from the state," and the principal was implied to be related to one of the Howling Commandos, so it's likely that the principal is Team Cap and still insists that the school uses his videos.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Glory said:

Ah, that's what I missed. I got that principal grandson thing, I just missed this line. Thanks.

I'm okay with Aunt May getting "play," but I'm so used to her as "old crone." In the Ultimate Spider-Man animated series, she was a go-getter, but I think she was still grey. I'm okay with Marisa Tormei's performance ("WHAT THE F-!!"), but it kinda runs counter to "classic" canon.