Type keyword(s) to search

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

JessePinkman
  • Start Topic

This looks fine and all; and I'm glad that there are more minority characters (needs more minority LEAD characters, though.), but I'm just not interested in Baby!Spiderman: Third Try at High School. But props to them for finally casting someone who can pass as a high school student.

2 hours ago, Trini said:

This looks fine and all; and I'm glad that there are more minority characters (needs more minority LEAD characters, though.), but I'm just not interested in Baby!Spiderman: Third Try at High School. But props to them for finally casting someone who can pass as a high school student.

The thing I like about this is that it looks like they intend to keep him in high school for a little bit.  The other movies seemed in a rush to get him out of high school (and didn't really deal with high school outside of generic jock bulllying nonsense) and failed to give him a supporting cast of any substance.

• Love 5

I watched Dope (2015) this weekend (fantastic film, btw), and I imagine Tony Revolori used a lot of his reel from the film for his Flash Thompson. His character of Jib certainly isn't a Jock or a Tormentor, but he's a fan boy who projects far more confidence than he likely has, which would fit into a modern day bully character. I'll be interested to see how they play the character. Playing him as a more psychological tormentor than physical would be an very perspective modern take as opposed to the Jock/Prep School kid.

7 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

New poster

Looks super fake but I don't care somehow?

I love it, it's so bright. 

And I always get happy seeing The Avengers building in Marvel's movie and television background.  

• Love 1

I didnt even notice the Avengers tower, all I could think of was how much the first poster reminded me of Deadpool. It just made me think it was really cheeky and reminded me of Deadpool coloring the picture on the bridge coloring a picture wearing headphones.

Love the second poster. I like the black on the Spider-suit. Its sharp, and something we havent seen (right? There's just been so many movies....)

• Love 1

Looks like fun!  But, I hope his friend doesn't continue to talk too fast through the whole movie. What did he say to Peter in the lab just before he asked about Cap? Sounded like something about a sweater.  I rewound it twice and couldn't understand him. 

Edited by Shannon L.
6 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Looks like fun!  But, I hope his friend doesn't continue to talk too fast through the whole movie. What did he say to Peter in the lab just before he asked about Cap? Sound like something about a sweater.  I rewound it twice and couldn't understand him. 

"Can you summon an army of spiders?"

Please pardon the pun, but this looks amazing.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Jediknight said:
8 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Looks like fun!  But, I hope his friend doesn't continue to talk too fast through the whole movie. What did he say to Peter in the lab just before he asked about Cap? Sound like something about a sweater.  I rewound it twice and couldn't understand him. 

"Can you summon an army of spiders?"

Please pardon the pun, but this looks amazing.

Thank you!  Something I've noticed a lot lately is a lot of actors these days tend to mutter, speak too fast or sound like they are speaking in a stage whisper.  But, I digress.....  

Yes, this movie looks amazing!  :)

I'm so hyped for this movie. 

Bu Tony was a little harsh to Peter. I mean I know Tony has some self loathing going on so Peter saying that he wanted "to be just like Tony" is not the right thing to say but the kid is 16yrs old give him a break. Tony has been Ironman for almost 10yrs and he's still making mistakes. 

But this is still my favorite relationship so I get all happy inside when Tony/Ironman and Peter/Spider-Man are together. They better stay teaming up in Infinity War

• Love 1

Yeah, there was some pretty notable reveals there, but I get that they're hinging on Peter finding his own way without being an Origin story. The action looks to be well done, and this cast rolls deep! Martin Starr is going to have like two minutes of screen time, we still haven't seen Tony Revolori, and Donald Glover is basically blink and you'll miss it.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

"If you're nothing without the suit, you shouldn't have it." What is this, wisdom? From Tony "I almost destroyed the world" Stark?

Well, Tony's gone through some versions of suit-dependence but he started at:

Steve Rogers: Big man in a suit of armour. Take that off, what are you?

Tony Stark: Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist.

And he seems to be back there.  I'm so excited for this film!!

• Love 3

Looks like a ton of fun, and Vulture looks and sounds terrifying. Like how the suit molded itself to Peter. What was the spider that came off Spiderman's suit? Is it a weapon of some sort? Looked cool.

18 minutes ago, dkb said:

Looks like a ton of fun, and Vulture looks and sounds terrifying. Like how the suit molded itself to Peter. What was the spider that came off Spiderman's suit? Is it a weapon of some sort? Looked cool.

Looks to be some sort of drone, and he seems pretty surprised by it. Perhaps this is some method Tony has for keeping tabs on him

• Love 1
11 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

They showed probably more than what I wanted to see (

Hide contents

like Tony saving the ship and taking the suit back

) and Spidey looks a little too much like a cartoon character in some scenes but I'm still hyped.

I agree. I hope they have some cool shots left, because I have never felt so spoiled by a trailer.

Michael Keaton looks terrifying. I really hope he and Robert Downey Jr. have some scenes together. 

Is it too much to ask for a surprise Avenger appearance. I'm looking at you Steve/Hulk/Widow. A girl can dream can't she?

• Love 2

Yea this trailer was sooo spoilery. Judging by the GotG trailers we've been getting, I'm guessing this Spider Man trailer was made by Sony and not Marvel. Loved seeing Cap! Captain America's Fitness Challenge! I guess that's cooler to the kids than the Presidential Fitness Award

• Love 2

The only problem I have with Tony providing Peter with a suit and cool gadgets is...can't he give him rent money too? A stipend?

Maybe money won't be a huge concern for this version of Spider-Man like all the other incarnations. 

2 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

The only problem I have with Tony providing Peter with a suit and cool gadgets is...can't he give him rent money too? A stipend?

Maybe money won't be a huge concern for this version of Spider-Man like all the other incarnations. 

I don't know if this would be a spoiler but just to be safe 

Spoiler

Apparently Tony is paying for Peters education at the fancy school we see him at. It seems like its some sort of boarding school because Peter is crawling back into a room, which he shares with Ned I believe? 

On 3/28/2017 at 5:32 PM, Spartan Girl said:

We all know Tony will give the suit back at some point.

Maybe, but have you heard the rumor that this will be the last Spider Man movie that Sony is doing with Marvel?  The Venom movie they're doing is not in the MCU.  The last I heard, there is no firm decision either way on who will be doing the sequel.  I suppose they're waiting to see what kind of reception it receives.  Either way, this may be a way to disentangle Stark from Spider-Man's life.  Parker, little genius that he is, might come up with his own version of the suit, with his own version of Stark's tech.  This might satisfy purists who would not be happy with Stark providing inventions that were Peter's in the comics.

Personally, I definitely hope Spider-Man stays in the MCU, and I think it's in Sony's best interest to keep him there.

Regarding the trailer, I don't really like the look of the Vulture.  It looks like something Sony would have come up with, if you know what I mean.  Looks like one of those "suits" that were shown in The Amazing Spider-Man 2.  Keaton is an interesting casting choice though.  

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Maybe, but have you heard the rumor that this will be the last Spider Man movie that Sony is doing with Marvel?  The Venom movie they're doing is not in the MCU.  The last I heard, there is no firm decision either way on who will be doing the sequel.  I suppose they're waiting to see what kind of reception it receives.  Either way, this may be a way to disentangle Stark from Spider-Man's life.  Parker, little genius that he is, might come up with his own version of the suit, with his own version of Stark's tech.  This might satisfy purists who would not be happy with Stark providing inventions that were Peter's in the comics.

Personally, I definitely hope Spider-Man stays in the MCU, and I think it's in Sony's best interest to keep him there.

Regarding the trailer, I don't really like the look of the Vulture.  It looks like something Sony would have come up with, if you know what I mean.  Looks like one of those "suits" that were shown in The Amazing Spider-Man 2.  Keaton is an interesting casting choice though.  

I think Marvel will stay involved with all the Spider-Man movies cause I heard that Tom Holland who plays Spidermqn has signed a 6 movie contract with Marvel(the standard that actors/actresses sign)plus Tom is definitely in Avengers Infinity War 

I think Sony will keep Spider-Man with Marvel for the foreseeable future(I hope) But I also don't think it's a good idea to do a Venom movie cause I doubt Sony gets it right at all. 

That Venom movie is never going to happen.  Just like every other Sony attempt to build a Spider-Verse.

I may be wrong about this, but I believe that Homecoming is pretty much a Marvel-controlled film that Sony is distributing.  I would bet that Sony traded control in exchange for a cut of the licensing deals, since one of the issues that emerged from the Sony hack was that Marvel was the only one getting money from the lunchboxes and backpacks.

Tom Holland really was the perfect choice for Teenage Spider Man. He just captures it amazingly well. The little end but with Zendaya was great too.

And the Lip sync battle between Tom and Zendaya was brilliant. Worth a look.

• Love 1
On 12/12/2016 at 8:28 PM, JessePinkman said:

The thing I like about this is that it looks like they intend to keep him in high school for a little bit.  The other movies seemed in a rush to get him out of high school (and didn't really deal with high school outside of generic jock bulllying nonsense) and failed to give him a supporting cast of any substance.

They in fact intend to break the timing continuity with the other Marvel movies to do so. Usually Marvel movies are relatively in real time to the amount of time that's passed in the real world since other films. Not Spider-Man. It will only be a few months since the end of Civil War for this one, and each successive movie will only be the following school year (so, Sophomore, Junior, Senior--three movies). Two or more years will pass between production of each, but not inside the movies. Meanwhile the other Marvel movies apparently will be keeping the real time aspect, and so if Spidey actually appears in any of them, they'll have an annoying little problem of how to portray him older than in his own movies.

On 4/8/2017 at 7:46 AM, rmontro said:

Maybe, but have you heard the rumor that this will be the last Spider Man movie that Sony is doing with Marvel?

No, the rumor was that they'd be doing only the requisite three with Marvel, but then try to keep it going without Marvel afterwards (bad idea). And yes, also that some terrible side projects would occur, in which Spider-Man might or might not actually appear.

On 5/8/2017 at 4:32 AM, CheetaraThunder said:

Tom Holland really was the perfect choice for Teenage Spider Man. He just captures it amazingly well. The little end but with Zendaya was great too.

And the Lip sync battle between Tom and Zendaya was brilliant. Worth a look.

I love a man who can dance and I adore a man who commits so hard to a performance.  I even love the comments on this video.

On 4/8/2017 at 7:46 AM, rmontro said:

I was watching the Midnights Edge video on this subject just last night.  From what they were saying the Marvel/Sony deal is for 5 movies Spider-Man 1/2, Civil War and Infinity Wars 1/2. However, The Spider-Man actor (blanking on name) is contracted for 6 movies, 3 for MCU and 3 for Sony. 

The theory is that Sony is planning to launch their Spider-Man villain movies, which will be a separate universe from MCU starting with Venom and the Black Cat/Silver Sable movie. Do the 3 MCU and 2 Spider-Man movies with MCU, let the deal end and then move Spider-Man into their Venom Universe roping those MCU viewers back into a Sony Only Made Spider-Man 3. 

Here's the video if you want to watch.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:46 AM, rmontro said:

THIS.  Moving into the MCU gave a dying Spider-Man franchise the shot in the arm that it needed.

12 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

The theory is that Sony is planning to launch their Spider-Man villain movies, which will be a separate universe from MCU starting with Venom and the Black Cat/Silver Sable movie. Do the 3 MCU and 2 Spider-Man movies with MCU, let the deal end and then move Spider-Man into their Venom Universe roping those MCU viewers back into a Sony Only Made Spider-Man 3.

Marvel really made a huge mistake when they let their franchises go in such a way that other companies could hold on to them basically in perpetuity.  They should have maybe leased the rights for something like three movies, then have them revert back.  Oh well, hindsight is better than foresight.  It would be nice if people boycotted the Sony-only Spider-man if they take it back, but I'm sure the diehards don't have the numbers to really affect it.

On 5/11/2017 at 4:27 AM, rmontro said:

Marvel really made a huge mistake when they let their franchises go in such a way that other companies could hold on to them basically in perpetuity.  They should have maybe leased the rights for something like three movies, then have them revert back.  Oh well, hindsight is better than foresight.  It would be nice if people boycotted the Sony-only Spider-man if they take it back, but I'm sure the diehards don't have the numbers to really affect it.

True, but there was very little they could do as if they didn't sell the rights then Marvel would not exist.  As it was they were going through bankruptcy and there was talk at the time that they would either be bought out or shut down (or bought out and shut down).  So if they didn't sell the rights in the first place Marvel would never have existed to create the MCU.  

There's at least a chance that Disney regains the rights to Spiderman if Sony Pictures does go under, which considering their movie lineup seems possible e.g. The Emoji movie (the only good movie on their slate besides Spiderman is Dark Tower).

2 minutes ago, Matt K said:

True, but there was very little they could do as if they didn't sell the rights then Marvel would not exist.  As it was they were going through bankruptcy and there was talk at the time that they would either be bought out or shut down (or bought out and shut down).  So if they didn't sell the rights in the first place Marvel would never have existed to create the MCU.

I suppose that's a good way to look at it.  I love having Spider-Man in the MCU, but it's the Fantastic Four that most bothers me.  They were once the foundation of the Marvel Universe, but they have been the most mishandled, none of Fox's movies have done them justice.  It almost sounds like a comic book storyline - with the FF being sacrificed to save the company.  They get wiped off the map so the other heroes can live.  Sounds kind of heroic, doesn't it?

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I suppose that's a good way to look at it.  I love having Spider-Man in the MCU, but it's the Fantastic Four that most bothers me.  They were once the foundation of the Marvel Universe, but they have been the most mishandled, none of Fox's movies have done them justice.  It almost sounds like a comic book storyline - with the FF being sacrificed to save the company.  They get wiped off the map so the other heroes can live.  Sounds kind of heroic, doesn't it?

I honestly don't know why FOX doesn't just sell the FF back to Marvel, the last movie bombed hard and right now it's just sitting on a shelf waiting to be brought back out(before it hits that mark where if not used in 5yrs it automatically goes back to Marvel)and made into another crappy movie. FOX is not benefiting from FF so why not give it back, Marvel would do wonders with it. 

5 hours ago, Jazzy24 said:

FOX is not benefiting from FF so why not give it back, Marvel would do wonders with it. 

Fox did Daredevil, which did OK at the box office (enough to give us Elektra), even if the critics and fans hated it.  After the rights went back to Marvel, they had a success with the Netflix show.  Because of that,Fox is spitefully holding onto the Fantastic Four.  I don't think Sony wants a similar situation with Spiderman which is why they still are trying to hold the rights.