Type keyword(s) to search

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

JessePinkman
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, JustaPerson said:

Aw, I thought she looked pretty! Her outfits and glasses are very trendy with millennials rn. I guess people don't find it as flattering on older women?

Seriously though, those granny glasses and high-waisted pants are actually in style now. If they were really trying to downplay her looks they would have made her go grey, like they did to Diane Lane in Superman. They also wouldn't have had people commenting on her looks in Homecoming like they did.

It's not like they put her in a big floral nightgown or anything.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, JustaPerson said:

Aw, I thought she looked pretty! Her outfits and glasses are very trendy with millennials rn. I guess people don't find it as flattering on older women?

8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Seriously though, those granny glasses and high-waisted pants are actually in style now. If they were really trying to downplay her looks they would have made her go grey, like they did to Diane Lane in Superman. They also wouldn't have had people commenting on her looks in Homecoming like they did.

It's not like they put her in a big floral nightgown or anything.

I thought she looked cute too!  I thought in Civil War she looked like an ex-"rocker chick" like she went to a lot of Bon Jovi concerts when she was younger but I prefer the hipster thing she had in Homecoming.

Wow! If I didn't already want more Zendaya as "MJ" in the sequel:

The theme of this year's Met Gala was "Catholicism" and she was one of the winners IMO.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, VCRTracking said:

I thought she looked cute too!  I thought in Civil War she looked like an ex-"rocker chick" like she went to a lot of Bon Jovi concerts when she was younger but I prefer the hipster thing she had in Homecoming.

I feel like that was the vibe they were going for- making Aunt May have a hipster/hippie vibe, which would be more consistent with her characterization in the Andrew Garfield movies, just a younger version of that.

• Love 1

Is it wrong I’m still hoping Joe Pesci drops in to play Uncle Ben? I’m not praying for that, but it’s in my head. “Remember . . . with great power comes great responsibility. You’re a wonderful ute, Peter.” “Thanks. What’s an ‘ute’?”

• Love 5

I just re-watched the movie since it was on one of the movie channels and I forgot how good it was.  They did a great job with all the characters and they even threw in a few classic Spiderman moments.  It's really hard to rank the later Marvel Movies since so many of them have been great but this is easily towards the top (it's really hard to beat Infinity War and Black Panther, a movie I've been waiting for forever).  They did such a great job of nailing the characterization of Peter Parker/Spiderman.  Vulture was really well done and a great antagonist for Peter.  

• Love 3
On 5/13/2018 at 11:43 PM, VCRTracking said:

Since they retconned Peter being that little kid Tony saved in Iron Man 2 I hope they show that scene from Peter's POV in Spider-Man Homecoming 2.

Was that in Infinity War Part I? I totally missed that.

On 7/10/2017 at 1:33 PM, Traveller519 said:

Spider-man should first and foremost be fun, and Homecoming certainly had that in spades. Tom Holland really seems to enjoy playing Peter, and I think his take on Spider-Man makes sense. In a universe where we're 7-8 years removed from the events of Avengers, and Super Heroes are common-place, Peter's emergence as a teenager would definitely look up to the core avengers, and want to prove himself to them. I think the movie, while not an origin story, speaks to Peter moving from trying to prove himself to Tony (and the Avengers he idolizes) to himself.

I admit I am insanely late. I just saw this on "STARZ" and it made me catch up with the MCU all weekend. Loved it.

- Tom Holland really nailed it. When I heard he was cast I wasn't sure they needed a good actor for Peter but they do. Toby Maguire imho wasn't a good actor. Tom Holland got all the little things right. When Ned asks if he lays eggs the reaction was just perfect.  The car scene was so intense because of Tom. He kept giving little pained looks to Liz -- like OMG shut up.  It was as tense as it was because of all the little things you could see happening with Peter even though he said very little.  Tom's entire sequence walking into Liz's home and being unable to focus on anything but her dad was excellent. 

- Loved that they did not do the origin story and that they gave Peter a normal 2017 high school. Spiderman has the misfortune of being quite dated and I am just sick of Harry Osborn and all the rest.  Ned was hysterical asking all the questions and blurting out that Peter knew Spiderman.  MJ was perfect because she had the essence of what I liked about the character, that she knew Peter was Spiderman just by being observant. It never really made sense to me that someone who was a model / actress would be that person.  Also, when you think about it... I could see Peter coming to MJs attention due to his Uncle being killed.  For someone quietly observant I bet that would be a big thing. Loved that MJ was never once the damsel in distress. Not even in the elevator.  Giving Peter the finger at the dance is classic over compensating. She doesn't want him suspecting she likes him. 

- Tony as incompetent mentor was perfect. I wonder if the "test" was taking the suit away.  Tony wanted to see if Peter could prevail without the suit. I also think Tony has zero respect for the press and would do something like call them up on a moment's notice just to "test" Peter and then just tell them bull.  Loved that Peter figured it out immediately. One thing that was a little odd to me was that there wasn't greater repercussions from DC. There was no reaction to such a high profile save and Spiderman being outside his jurisdiction.

- I wasn't as thrilled with the bad guy as most but it was definitely an improvement. First, ONE BAD GUY, what a concept. Second, that he wasn't that big a bad guy and actively wanted to keep under the radar of the avengers. Smart. Equally smart is that he figured out Peter as Spiderman on his own. I hope this is a trend. Stop making supporting characters blind and stupid. Likely there will always be people around Peter who suspect but don't say anything because they aren't sure. 

- the only negative I have is the Stark Suit. As a concept it is a good idea but I don't like him having too much tech and being too dependent on Tony. It would be a good idea if Peter puts his skills to use designing his own suit based off Tony's. 

Can't wait for the next one. Hope it is as good. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, BooBear said:

- Tony as incompetent mentor was perfect.

Tony not really knowing what he is doing as far as a mentor really worked and is tbe only way the ending made sense. Because Tony lecturing Peter for fighting bad guys out of his league and putting people in danger on the ferry but then rewarding him for doing the exact same thing on the plane at the end didn't really make sense otherwise.

I saw the trailer for the upcoming sequel to this and thought it looked great. I never saw this one so decided to watch On Demand on Starz, in preparation for the sequel.

Unfortunately, I was severely disappointed.

This was terrible. They really did reinvent the wheel with this one it seems in an attempt to make it more youthful and modern, but it just didn’t work for me. We got no origin story explaining how Peter became Spider-Man. I guess everyone is already supposed to know how this happened if they’re fans, which honestly would’ve been fine if the main story was any good. However, when a movie is bad it makes all the plot holes more glaring.

They spent a little too much time setting up the villain in the teaser. It felt very disconnected from the movie as a whole and then they spent way too much time on Peter’s high school experience, his daily hero missions and working their way back to the antagonist. The movie seemed to pick up mid-story which works very well for some movies, but not this  IMHO. Tom Holland is very cute and youthful. He’s also a descent actor and the supporting cast was very strong with many veterans (loved seeing Michael Keaton, Marisa Tomei and Garcelle  Beavauis). However, they could not save this train wreck.

The only thing I really liked about the movie was the diversity of the cast. It was nice to see that Peter Parker does actually live in a heterogeneous society, which had not really been displayed in prior renditions of the series.

• LOL 1
10 hours ago, Enero said:

We got no origin story explaining how Peter became Spider-Man. I guess everyone is already supposed to know how this happened if they’re fans, which honestly would’ve been fine if the main story was any good.

Honestly, can there be that many potential cinema-goers in the entire world who don't know that Spider-Man gets his powers by being bitten by a radioactive spider? I'd consider that practically cultural knowledge, particularly after two different blockbuster movies that showed it. It's like saying you don't know that Batman's parents were murdered, or that Superman came from space.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Honestly, can there be that many potential cinema-goers in the entire world who don't know that Spider-Man gets his powers by being bitten by a radioactive spider? I'd consider that practically cultural knowledge, particularly after two different blockbuster movies that showed it. It's like saying you don't know that Batman's parents were murdered, or that Superman came from space.

Considering Sony did 2 origin stories for Spider-Man and, one of the biggest complaints I heard about the Garfield reboot was "another origin story!?". That and hipster/slacker Peter Parker?!

Marvel was smart to skip the whole Uncle Ben/Origin story it's been done, everyone going to see Spider-Man (at this point) knows how Peter got his powers. 

• Love 7

I'm someone who loves an origin story and didn't feel it was necessary in this movie as it was a sequel to Civil War. As said above everyone knows how he got his powers. In the movie there are actually a few lines about this. Peter talks about getting bite by a spider (after Ned finds out). I always assumed his back story was more similar to Tony McGuire's in the sense that it was an accident at a museum or something.  And we knows at this point he is still fairly new to his powers.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Enero said:

I saw the trailer for the upcoming sequel to this and thought it looked great. I never saw this one so decided to watch On Demand on Starz, in preparation for the sequel.

Unfortunately, I was severely disappointed.

This was terrible. They really did reinvent the wheel with this one it seems in an attempt to make it more youthful and modern, but it just didn’t work for me. We got no origin story explaining how Peter became Spider-Man. I guess everyone is already supposed to know how this happened if they’re fans, which honestly would’ve been fine if the main story was any good. However, when a movie is bad it makes all the plot holes more glaring.

They spent a little too much time setting up the villain in the teaser. It felt very disconnected from the movie as a whole and then they spent way too much time on Peter’s high school experience, his daily hero missions and working their way back to the antagonist. The movie seemed to pick up mid-story which works very well for some movies, but not this  IMHO. Tom Holland is very cute and youthful. He’s also a descent actor and the supporting cast was very strong with many veterans (loved seeing Michael Keaton, Marisa Tomei and Garcelle  Beavauis). However, they could not save this train wreck.

The only thing I really liked about the movie was the diversity of the cast. It was nice to see that Peter Parker does actually live in a heterogeneous society, which had not really been displayed in prior renditions of the series.

I thought them focusing so much on Peter in high school was the one of the highlights of the movie. 

It was so relatable and real to see Peter as a high schooler with teen problems trying to be a superhero. This movie being so grounded is why it’s my all time favorite Spider-Man movie. 

This movie showed why Spider-Man is the “most relatable hero” of all time. I’m excited for Far From Home. 

• Love 9