Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

On 10/12/2021 at 10:41 AM, ElleryAnne said:

111, wow.  

MTE. It's amazing what a life she led. The world changed SO much from the time she was a kid to 2021. I'm fascinated by both Disney and Old Hollywood, so I just realized it is also kind of something to think that so many old Hollywood actors were born around the same time as her (1910) or even many years after. Jean Harlow was born 1911; Vivien Leigh was born in 1913, and Marilyn Monroe was born 16 years after her. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

MTE. It's amazing what a life she led. The world changed SO much from the time she was a kid to 2021. I'm fascinated by both Disney and Old Hollywood, so I just realized it is also kind of something to think that so many old Hollywood actors were born around the same time as her (1910) or even many years after. Jean Harlow was born 1911; Vivien Leigh was born in 1913, and Marilyn Monroe was born 16 years after her. 

I'm not sure how much interaction Miss Tompson had with any of the above celebs despite being her contemporaries. 

However, you might be pleased to know that she DID recall her experiences of having worked her way up from being an 'ink and paint' person to being an animator on Disney- specifically on the making of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1938) in an interview about that and her other work that was conducted in June, 2020 when she was 110 with her memory still quite sharp! Of course, at that point she was a resident of a nursing home and said she was sad being a 'prisoner' due to the pandemic but she understood and hoped that the younger phone interviewers would stay safe and that they could one day shake hands!

Here's the link:

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

Jimmy Hayes’s cause of death is  revealed.  It was due to Fentanyl and cocaine.  It’s quite sad for his family, including two small children.  It’s astounding how many are dying from Fentanyl overdoses, because the person doesn’t realize that is what there are taking. I recently saw that there are TEST strips that can test the drug before you take it.  Unless, your drugs come from a pharmacy, you should use the test strips.  It can save your life.  

https://people.com/sports/jimmy-hayes-cause-of-death-revealed/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Jimmy Hayes’s cause of death is  revealed.  It was due to Fentanyl and cocaine.  It’s quite sad for his family, including two small children.  It’s astounding how many are dying from Fentanyl overdoses, because the person doesn’t realize that is what there are taking. I recently saw that there are TEST strips that can test the drug before you take it.  Unless, your drugs come from a pharmacy, you should use the test strips.  It can save your life.  

https://people.com/sports/jimmy-hayes-cause-of-death-revealed/

States are slowly legalizing those test strips for personal use. They aren't legally allowed to be used for personal use everywhere.

• Useful 4
44 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It’s astounding how many are dying from Fentanyl overdoses, because the person doesn’t realize that is what there are taking.

I don’t think all these fentanyl overdoses are due to folks not knowing what they’re taking. You’d be surprised at how many people out there who are seeking out fentanyl to get high. I’ve watched numerous documentaries on this and it’s more common than you think. 

That said, I’m surprised at how many people are still doing hard drugs and heck even weed with how so much of it is laced with God only knows what nowadays. You could be taking anything and as a result end up dead. It’s always been a risk, doing drugs. But now the activity seems more dangerous than years past. But I guess believing it won’t happen to them and/or addiction is the reason why so many are willing to take the risk. 

• Useful 3
17 minutes ago, Enero said:

I don’t think all these fentanyl overdoses are due to folks not knowing what they’re taking. You’d be surprised at how many people out there who are seeking out fentanyl to get high. I’ve watched numerous documentaries on this and it’s more common than you think. 

That said, I’m surprised at how many people are still doing hard drugs and heck even weed with how so much of it is laced with God only knows what nowadays. You could be taking anything and as a result end up dead. It’s always been a risk, doing drugs. But now the activity seems more dangerous than years past. But I guess believing it won’t happen to them and/or addiction is the reason why so many are willing to take the risk. 

The newa has said that fantasy is being used to adulterated other drugs in their country of origin, the same way baby laxative was for yearswith heroin . So people don't know they're taking it.

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Awww, RIP, Thelma Lou.  

Yes, but it appears that Miss Lynn not only found her home in Mt. Airy but she wound up enjoying her twilight there being welcomed and embraced for who she was  more than Mr. Griffith had happen  in his own early years! 

And a far better fate than the last years of Frances Bavier who wound up becoming a reclusive cat lady after quickly souring on her newfound North Carolina town due to the townsfolk calling and often treating her as though she was Aunt Bee - a character she disliked.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It’s astounding how many are dying from Fentanyl overdoses, because the person doesn’t realize that is what there are taking.

I don't discount that the fentanyl was likely the cause of his death, however I've done enough armchair TV classes from watching Autopsy: Last Minutes of... to know that cocaine is frequently involved as the match that lights the fire.  Cocaine can mess with the electrical signals of the heart leading to arrhythmias.

• Useful 5
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I don't like how the news breaks about Colin Powell (RIP) are leading with his being fully vaccinated for COVID versus his being 84. Feels like an agenda is being pushed to me.

When someone dies of COVID, the first thing people want to know is "was he vaccinated?"  So it makes sense to answer that question right at the start. I do appreciate CNN also mentioning in the headline that he was battling cancer.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9

I've often wondered if the now-deceased General Powell and the prolific performer James Earl Jones might have possibly been cousins. Has anyone attempted to do family trees to prove/disprove that possibility? 

As others have said, he had a remarkable military career despite having to persist against rather stacked odds especially in his early years.. RIP, General.

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I don't like how the news breaks about Colin Powell (RIP) are leading with his being fully vaccinated for COVID versus his being 84. Feels like an agenda is being pushed to me.

I think this article offers the necessary perspective to fight that agenda.

It’s not the case that this demonstrates that vaccines are futile or not useful. Instead, it’s a reminder that the virus still poses a risk to the elderly, even when vaccinated, and therefore that the goal should be to tamp down on the spread of the virus broadly. If Powell had been at little risk of contracting the virus because transmission rates were low, he would have been at almost zero risk of dying from it....

It seems inevitable in this moment that Powell’s death will prompt new indifference to the vaccine, as though his death somehow proves that the vaccines don’t work. The lesson we should learn instead is that the vaccines work best when they work broadly and that, had Powell been protected both by the vaccine and by low rates of infection in his community, he might still be alive.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

The news also pointed out he had a blood cancer ( multiple myeloma?) that made it hard to fight any infection.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, bobalina said:

The news also pointed out he had a blood cancer ( multiple myeloma?) that made it hard to fight any infection.

Now the news reports do. First ones I saw several hours ago only mentioned that he'd died from COVID despite being fully vaccinated. It was, IMO, rather pointed. Eventually when more details starting coming out I guess these media outlets realized it would've been disingenuous to continue leading with that slant.

• Love 15

Another prolific voice actor passed away, Jack Angel.

Angel was a voice actor for more than 50 years, acting in works for Lucas Arts, Disney, Pixar, Warner Bros., Marvel, and more. He appeared in such films as G.I. Joe: The Movie, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Balto, A Bug's Life, The Iron Giant, Monsters, Inc. Toy Story 3, Finding Nemo, and Lilo & Stitch, among many others.

He also voiced roles in many animated series, including The Smurfs, Super Friends, Ducktales, Jem, Spider-Man, Hey Arnold!, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Ben10, Darkwing Duck, and more.

In anime, Angel voiced the roles of King Zarkon and Cossack in the Voltron television series. He also voiced many characters in the Transformers franchise such as Ultra Magnus, Omega Supreme, Astrotrain, Smokescreen, Ramjet, and more. He also voiced roles in such anime as Porco Rosso and Spirited Away.

Holy shit.

'Rust' crew member dead after shooting incident involving Alec Baldwin

A female crew member has died and another injured following an accident involving a prop firearm on the New Mexico set of the film "Rust," according to a law enforcement statement provided to CNN.

The prop firearm was discharged by actor and producer Alec Baldwin, 68, according to the Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office.

The female victim was identified as director of photography Halyna Hutchins, 42, according to investigators. She was transported to the hospital via helicopter and pronounced dead by medical personnel at University of New Mexico Hospital.

The other victim, 48-year-old director Joel Souza, was transported to Christus St. Vincent's Regional Medical Center by ambulance for care. Details on his condition were not released.

Aside from the fact that there apparently were live rounds in the weapon, WTF was he doing pointing it at the crew???

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Holy shit.

'Rust' crew member dead after shooting incident involving Alec Baldwin

Aside from the fact that there apparently were live rounds in the weapon, WTF was he doing pointing it at the crew???

I wonder if it was a Brandon Lee situation, where the blanks were messed up.

And it's possible he wasn't pointing it directly at the crew, but they were in the background.  However, with two people injured, that seems a little weird.

Alex Baldwin has got to be feeling like shit.  The actor who accidentally shot Brandon Lee quit acting for a year after.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

He could have been pointing it towards the camera for a straight on shot.  It was the director who was shot and the DP who was killed.

I just don't see how he hits two people.  And would the DP be working the camera herself?

[FWIW, the CNN story says he's 68, but he's actually 63.  Probably feels a hundred right now.]

40 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I just don't see how he hits two people.  And would the DP be working the camera herself?

Was it said that there was only one gun shot? He could have been asked to fire off a series of shots. He shoots them off in a general direction. 

Would the DP be working the camera herself?  It depends on the size of the movie but probably not; however she might have been near the camera. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Was it said that there was only one gun shot? He could have been asked to fire off a series of shots. He shoots them off in a general direction. 

That's why I asked the question.

Someone suggested elsewhere that if this was being filmed and not a rehearsal, there will be footage of the actual shooting.  That should tell the police what they need to know and put my inquiring mind to rest.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Aside from the fact that there apparently were live rounds in the weapon

It doesn't have to be live rounds to be dangerous. Even normally functioning blanks are dangerous at close-enough range. Obviously no clue what was going on for that set--it sounds like a really terrible accident--but it's a situation where they still needed to be practicing proper firearm safety, even if all they had was "only blanks," for exactly this reason. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 7
  • Love 2