Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

22 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I didn't recognize the name, but when I saw his picture I remembered him. Classic mustache! 

I used to love that show as a kid, though I barely recall any of it now. I'm surprised it was on 1972 to 77, though it was late 70s early 80s.  Must have been reruns I saw. 

It was like ER-light 20 years before ER was made. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I like to look up other stuff celebs were in for these cases but for Tim Donnelly there really wasn't much else.  He stopped acting by the mid 80s after an A team one off appearance. 

However he did appear in the short lived dukes of Hazzard spinoff enos, another show I completely forgot about.  And appeared in a forgettable late 70s slasher flick the toolbox murders probably best known for a few stereotypical slasher flick nude scenes. Plus some other appearances in Hawaii 5-0, other 60s /70s dramas for single episodes.  Emergency by far his best known though.  

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Jaded said:

Tim Donnelly, Actor on ‘Emergency!,’ Dies at 77

Awww!

I'll always remember Chet, the Engine 51 prankster!!  There were times I wished Gage would punch his lights out for going to far!!

I'll also remember him from that episode of Dragnet, in which he played a husband and father who would harmlessly indulge in marijuana with his wife.  Then one day, they were too stoned to realize their daughter drowned in the bathtub!!  He didn't have the 'stache then.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

I have to admit having mixed feelings about Chet in Emergency. On the one hand, I always thought the lame 'off task' banter dragged the whole thing down and took away from then cutting-edge drama about how paramedics were saving lives on disaster sites and working with doctors and nurses.

However, I actually thought Chet could have been an entertaining character on his own if they'd had him on an entirely different show. Perhaps a comedic one about firefighters in which actual fires and tragedy were totally ignored (as had been the case for actual crimes re the cop comedy show  Car 54, Where Are You?)

In any case, RIP, Mr. Donnelly. 

• Love 3

Just found out about Willie Garson's dead. So shocked. He was so great as Stanford and Mozzie.  I love Stanford and he was a good friend. Although Mozzie was my favorite of his characters because he was so funny and I love his conspiracy theories. 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

And it seems so unfair that his son—who wasn’t adopted until he was 7—should have to lose his adoptive parent just 13 years later. 😢

That is very young to lose a parent. I hope he has a good support system. 

• Love 8
18 hours ago, Blergh said:

I have to admit having mixed feelings about Chet in Emergency. On the one hand, I always thought the lame 'off task' banter dragged the whole thing down and took away from then cutting-edge drama about how paramedics were saving lives on disaster sites and working with doctors and nurses.

In any case, RIP, Mr. Donnelly. 

If I remember correctly, in the last Movie of the Week for Emergency! , it was implied that Chet died on the job.

Personally, I think they needed the comic relief because of some of the headier cases.  Too much blood, guts, injury, fires actually would’ve made the show hard to watch.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Well, it was the fentanyl laced drug after all!😡  This epidemic has to be addressed.  Granted, people who illegally buy prescription drugs or drugs like heroin or cocaine are not in the right, however, they shouldn’t have to pay for the purchase with their lives.  Isn’t there some kind of Drug Czar out there in the underground drug industry who can issue a mandate for these illegal drug manufacturers to STOP lacing with Fentanyl!  It’s crazy, killing their customers and will ultimately cut down their profits.  Are they too stupid not to see this?  

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:
26 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, it was the fentanyl laced drug after all!😡 

I think of "fentanyl laced drug" deaths as at least partially murder, because my understanding is that the lacing is done to increase profits knowing it will kill many users.🤬

And sometimes there is an element of suicide when the user knows the risks.😟 😭😢

And then there are psychiatrists or other doctors prescribing medications for depression etc. that can either cause suicidal ideation (although this happens less often nowadays) or the physicians just aren't monitoring their patients off-label and street drug use that can lead to lethal interactions with the prescription medications. 😡 

But this is not new, although the recipe of the street drug may be different than what killed Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix in the 70s when they were just 27.  😟 😭😢

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 7

There are many rules in place to keep doctors from prescribing narcotics to so called 'drug seeking' patients.  Not that it doesn't happen but it's the exception anymore .   Except in Florida, America's penis.  Still happens there. 

Once they cracked down on prescription drugs though it just drove all the users to illegal street prescription drugs.  It just shifted the burden somewhere else. 

Part of this is the government's dumbass fault for making pain the 'fifth vital sign' years ago and forcing doctors basically to aggressively treat pain. You combine that with press gainey scores where doctors are rated based on patient satisfaction, i.e if they're given the drugs they want, and it was a recipe for disaster, literally, not figuratively. 

But the government denies that and pushes all the blame on doctors and manufacturers. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

There are many rules in place to keep doctors from prescribing narcotics to so called 'drug seeking' patients.  Not that it doesn't happen but it's the exception anymore .   Except in Florida, America's penis.  Still happens there. 

Once they cracked down on prescription drugs though it just drove all the users to illegal street prescription drugs.  It just shifted the burden somewhere else. 

Part of this is the government's dumbass fault for making pain the 'fifth vital sign' years ago and forcing doctors basically to aggressively treat pain. You combine that with press gainey scores where doctors are rated based on patient satisfaction, i.e if they're given the drugs they want, and it was a recipe for disaster, literally, not figuratively. 

But the government denies that and pushes all the blame on doctors and manufacturers. 

It also messed over the people who need the prescriptions for medical reasons. My mom was on oxycodone the last two years of her life for pain. Every month a new prescription had to be written out and picked up. My dad would have to hand deliver it to the pharmacy to get filled. Except if the first day landed on Saturday or Sunday. Well, doctor's office is closed and he couldn't pick it up on the Friday nor could they send it to the pharmacy just for when it fell on a weekend or three day weekend or holiday. So my mom would be out of her pain medication for two or three days and in horrible pain. Once it was finally filled it would take just as many days to get working again.  Which happened a lot. My mom was more pain so much because of the law. Even though she needed the pills. Her doctors knew she needed them. But there was nothing they could do because of the law.  It was so horrible to watch her in so much pain and it didn't need to happen. Just sending it electronically to the pharmacy so it would be ready was all we needed but nope. Thanks a lot Government!      

• Love 1

@andromeda331 my Mom was in a similar position for a couple years before she died too. The state I'm in allowed prescriptions to be faxed but it got to the point where patients who saw pain Drs had to go monthly which is when the office would fax the script to the pharmacy. She'd skip one of her daily doses a few times a month so she'd have extra pills for the next month if she couldn't get in near enough to a month away from the previous appointment.

Monthly visits sounds simple for able bodied people. It's not as easy when one has physical issues that make it hard just to get out of bed some days. She didn't start to look sick to people until the last  year she was alive so the cancer she died from didn't get diagnosed in time because once the ER would find out she saw a pain doc they would think she was just there to get pain medicine. It wasn't until she told the ambulance people when she had to go the hospital on my birthday that she wanted to go to the one that was a ways away that she got a ct scan that discovered what was going on. That hospital's ER people were in shock she hadn't been tested enough to find out what was really going on.

Sorry for the story and rant. 

The people who are dying from the laced street drugs are addicted so it's not like most of them can just up and quit by themselves without serious withdrawal issues. That's why healthcare needs to be more accessible. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

They did an even worse job than the Emmys. Focusing on the singers while the slideshow stopped, pulling the camera in tight and then going to a long shot so some people were only onscreen for a second before they faded out. Terrible.

I felt like I was on the verge of ending up cross-eyed trying to keep up with each screen that was showing the people who died. That was while watching it on TV. I imagine trying to watch it on a smaller screen like on a phone or computer worse.

Tommy Kirk, Disney child actor known for Old Yeller has died, age 79. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/tommy-kirk-dead-old-yeller-shaggy-dog-1235022775/

https://deadline.com/2021/09/tommy-kirk-dead-child-star-old-yeller-the-shaggy-dog-was-79-1234846897/

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/tommy-kirk-dead-old-yeller-1235077380/

Thanks to @mariah23 from the TCM board for making me aware of this.

Edited by MissAlmond
2 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

You’re welcome.  Apparently, he was estranged from his surviving family.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Michael Tylo, well-known to soap fans for his runs on All My Children, Guiding Light, General Hospital, and The Young and the Restless, has passed away at the age of 73.

I remember him from my CBS soap watching days and "supercouple"  Quint and Nola.  R.I.P. Mr. Tylo.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, mariah23 said:

You’re welcome.  Apparently, he was estranged from his surviving family.

I hope Mr. Kirk had at least one friend if not had made his own de facto family before the end. How sad that they couldn't make their peace with each other before the end. I wonder if he'll have any kind of service (and, if so, who would be holding it/paying for it). 

23 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I hope Mr. Kirk had at least one friend if not had made his own de facto family before the end. How sad that they couldn't make their peace with each other before the end. I wonder if he'll have any kind of service (and, if so, who would be holding it/paying for it). 

This Variety article does mention “Kirk’s longtime friend”:

Kirk’s longtime friend Paul Petersen II posted the news on Facebook, writing, “Please know that Tommy Kirk loved you, his fans.”

Given the accepted societal prejudices of the generation in which Kirk came of age, perhaps being estranged from his birth family did give him a measure of peace.

But, yes, estrangement implies unhappy relationships—at least in the past. 

Edited by shapeshifter
3 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Bridgerton Emmy winning hair and makeup designer Marc Pilcher has died, age 53.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/marc-pilcher-dead-bridgerton-makeup-designer-covid-1234849141/

…Pilcher’s representatives at Curtis Brown in a statement obtained by Deadline, adding, “He was 53, double vaccinated with no underlying health condition.”

…Nicola Coughlan, Bridgerton‘s Penelope Featherington, …wrote on Instagram, “…Please also use this as a reminder that Covid is still a very real and present danger, please get vaccinated and mask up to protect yourself and others.…”

Cynthia Harris Dies: ‘Mad About You’ Actress Was 87.

Cynthia Harris, who appeared in numerous Broadway and Off Broadway productions and is most widely known for playing the mother of star Paul Reiser’s character on the sitcom Mad About You, died October 3 in New York. She was 87.

Harris made her film debut in Isadora (1968) starring Vanessa Redgrave, which was followed by roles in Up the Sandbox (1972), Reuben, Reuben (1983) and Three Men and a Baby (1987), among others. A long and prolific career in television included appearances on The Bob Newhart Show, Laverne & Shirley, Three’s Company, Archie Bunker’s Place, Kate & Allie, L.A. Law, Law & Order, All My Children and Rescue Me.

Harris, a co-founder in 1993 of Off Broadway’s The Actors Company Theatre, for which she had served as a both an actor and co-artistic director, also starred in the 1979 TV miniseries Edward & Mrs. Simpson, playing Wallis Simpson. She was nominated for a BAFTA Award for the performance.

So.....

For all the bitching that A.J. Johnson's wife did to get his 'real fans' to cough up money for his GoFundMe; the money went way over what was asked for, and this is how his service went?

Only thing missing were the chicken dinners afterwards, this is something out of Cornerstone Baptist Church in the hood!

SMDH

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

She sure   lived a long and productive life! I only hope she still had the memories of it at the end. If so, she likely was one of the last folks to have recollections of the First World War! 

RIP, Miss Tompson!

• Love 18